Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Now he knows how Fugo feels.

Fugo just saying gently caress it and leaving the story was my favorite part of Part 5. Right after the torture dance, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

a cartoon duck posted:

Fugo just saying gently caress it and leaving the story was my favorite part of Part 5. Right after the torture dance, anyway.

He does get his own spin-off novel where he goes off on a mafia adventure. He even gets a new stand, Purple Haze Distortion.

Araki mentioned that the reason Fugo said "gently caress it, peace out" is because Araki couldn't think of an interesting way to use Purple Haze besides injecting poison.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Purple Haze is kinda crazy. Who could actually fight him on even footing other than someone who can heal themselves like Giorno, or attack from way outside of his range?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of which, his stand is mitigated by sunlight, right? What the hell would happen if he used it at night?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's kind of a shame Fugo was kicked. He was originally going to be used as a spy and traitor for Diavolo.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Purple Haze is kinda crazy. Who could actually fight him on even footing other than someone who can heal themselves like Giorno, or attack from way outside of his range?

Purple Haze Distortion makes it even worse. His virus becomes so powerful, they can kill each other.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ArcadePark posted:

He does get his own spin-off novel where he goes off on a mafia adventure. He even gets a new stand, Purple Haze Distortion.

Araki mentioned that the reason Fugo said "gently caress it, peace out" is because Araki couldn't think of an interesting way to use Purple Haze besides injecting poison.

Other than how OP his ability is (aka once you get anywhere near it, you're pretty much hosed), I could actually imagine some clever usage of it. If it's powerful enough to melt people, I imagine it could melt walls / floors / etc. Could make for some interesting uses?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't think it's going to melt non-living matter since it's a virus.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I guess not, but with Jojo logic sometimes I wouldn't find it to be too big of a stretch of the imagination.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ArcadePark posted:

Purple Haze Distortion makes it even worse. His virus becomes so powerful, they can kill each other.

This actully makes it less over powered as getting exposed to the virus again cancels it's effects.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

This actully makes it less over powered as getting exposed to the virus again cancels it's effects.

He can also shoot the drat thing at high speeds and with a good sense of distance, it's still stupidly overpowered.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk of OP makes me want a Jojo dota clone.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I was thinking Dynasty Warriors.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just let Capcom make another Beat 'em up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Jojolion

Norisuke is a pretty cool dude.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I love the scenes in Jojo where a new bad guy shows up to attack the heroes, nobody knows that the hell is going on, and they have to figure out the enemy's power before they get killed. Every fight is a big ol' puzzle instead of a dick-measuring contest and that's what makes Jojo the best action comic in the world.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
The idea of a Jojo fighting game was perfect in the first place since that is basically what Jojo is.

It's like the story is in constant arcade mode.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I feel like this chapter, like many of the Jojolion ones, was padded to hell. It could have easily been a weekly chapter instead of a monthly one. This pacing is annoying.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ADullMin posted:

The idea of a Jojo fighting game was perfect in the first place since that is basically what Jojo is.

It's like the story is in constant arcade mode.

The only thing more perfect would be a Jojo posing game exclusive to the Kinect.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Josuke is quickly becoming my favorite Jojo.

edit: Fixed things to fit tables.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 20, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Momomo posted:

The only thing more perfect would be a Jojo posing game exclusive to the Kinect.
The current metagame of the new Jojo's fighting game actually has taunts worked into combos. It's pretty great. You knock a dude down, throw out a projectile, taunt, and the projectile will hit the dude after your taunt is finished.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It was pretty broken at first but CC2 fixed it so you could only do it once per match,

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was actually one of the few things that made that game unique and interesting, it was a cool way to use something as meaningless as taunts and integrate it into combos and stuff. Like the game wasn't amazing or anything with it, but it was a neat thing in a game with very little remarkable things about the gameplay.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure the ASB game was broken when it came out, and Namco-Bandai had a lot to patch. A Lot.

When the game was announced, I was kinda interested in how they were gonna turn the characters in Part 7. That part was about horse racing. And they had to put horses as a mechanic. I guess that was a logical choice, but it still feels out of place to have Johnny and Gyro in the game.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Just let Capcom make another Beat 'em up.

I always thought that Jojo would be a great fit for the fighting system for God Hand.

edit: It's better at handling small scale fights (less than 10 people) than Dynasty Warriors and less button-mashy IMO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean the Vento Aureo beat 'em up has a few problems with how it handles certain enemies, but the actual gameplay is great and I loved the idea of doing like, boss only enemies. Now if only they could not like make specific conditions for certain fights that make them insufferable (Illuso and Secco mainly) then it would be the perfect way to handle JoJo games aside from fighting games, of course.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I mean the Vento Aureo beat 'em up has a few problems with how it handles certain enemies, but the actual gameplay is great and I loved the idea of doing like, boss only enemies. Now if only they could not like make specific conditions for certain fights that make them insufferable (Illuso and Secco mainly) then it would be the perfect way to handle JoJo games aside from fighting games, of course.

Are there any basic mobs at all in that game?
I have no idea what those would be like or what they could even be.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

ADullMin posted:

Are there any basic mobs at all in that game?
I have no idea what those would be like or what they could even be.

No, it's a succession of boss fights. You know, like how the series works. JoJo doesn't really have anything that could be used for basic enemies. Except maybe the vampire army the Pillar Men had, but that only works the one time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They already tried the vampire army with the Part 1 Beat 'em up that Namco did back in 06 and that game loving blew. On top of having a ridiculously slow combat system, the enemies are poorly designed, the entire ripple mechanic is broken as hell, the game is super dark, they actually try to faithfully adapt the Part 1 art style so it looks like complete rear end, and about the only thing I can say in the game's favor is that when you do poses it gives you stat bonuses. This would continue a trend for Namco's JoJo games being very subpar as the next dev they got made All-Star Battle and the rest is history.

I really want another company to get the JoJo license or at least have Namco give it to a dev that doesn't suck.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They already tried the vampire army with the Part 1 Beat 'em up that Namco did back in 06 and that game loving blew. On top of having a ridiculously slow combat system, the enemies are poorly designed, the entire ripple mechanic is broken as hell, the game is super dark, they actually try to faithfully adapt the Part 1 art style so it looks like complete rear end, and about the only thing I can say in the game's favor is that when you do poses it gives you stat bonuses. This would continue a trend for Namco's JoJo games being very subpar as the next dev they got made All-Star Battle and the rest is history.

I really want another company to get the JoJo license or at least have Namco give it to a dev that doesn't suck.

I am legitimately disappointed that this was just a joke because I can imagine it being the best jojo game or at least the most fabulous.

Honestly I'm surprised Phantom Blood never got adapted into an NES castlevania style game. When I think of a Phantom Blood video game adaptation I think of castlevania, not uhh this :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sex_Ferguson posted:

All Star battle is pretty good now. The patching really helped.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yeah ASB actually feels like a fighting game now. Hopefully the English localization will help to boost its popularity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't played ASB post recent patch beyond messing around as Baoh nor do I plan to. From the patch prior to the recent one I still remember it being a giant mess of a game on a fundamental level, in speed, and that it still dropped frames even running at its lovely frame rate. It being a broken mess of a game made it sort of worth playing in my eyes because then I at least had something to look forward to as it had so much nutty and stupid crap in it (I do not mean this as a thing in its favor). Now it just looks like a generic bad anime fighter to me having looked at recent videos, which is sort of what it was always going to be if it wasn't glitch ridden. My problems with the game were never really the glitches and infinites, it was more just how awful the entire concept of a lot of the systems they put in the game were so it makes certain things counterproductive or renders certain characters pointless.

I also am not a big fan of the character selection being kind of generic, but that's to be expected and hardly an important complaint.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I haven't played ASB post recent patch beyond messing around as Baoh nor do I plan to. From the patch prior to the recent one I still remember it being a giant mess of a game on a fundamental level, in speed, and that it still dropped frames even running at its lovely frame rate. It being a broken mess of a game made it sort of worth playing in my eyes because then I at least had something to look forward to as it had so much nutty and stupid crap in it (I do not mean this as a thing in its favor). Now it just looks like a generic bad anime fighter to me having looked at recent videos, which is sort of what it was always going to be if it wasn't glitch ridden. My problems with the game were never really the glitches and infinites, it was more just how awful the entire concept of a lot of the systems they put in the game were so it makes certain things counterproductive or renders certain characters pointless.

I also am not a big fan of the character selection being kind of generic, but that's to be expected and hardly an important complaint.

So pretty much it is horrible in your eyes and will always be no matter how much better it has become and you're not even willing to give it a chance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

So pretty much it is horrible in your eyes and will always be no matter how much better it has become and you're not even willing to give it a chance.

Has the game suddenly become 60 FPS, been sped up a significant amount, fixed framerate dropping, and removed the third dimension gameplay altogether? I've seen the combo videos of the new patch, it looks like they fixed a lot, I tried going back into it in December messing around with Baoh and it still felt like a dull sterile game. I didn't bother going any deeper and I don't care to as I played the game consistently for 3 months until I finally decided I was done and did not care to play it anymore. A problem you seem to have is that my opinion should just completely change for a game I have lost all interest in. I don't care to play it anymore, maybe I might come back to it when I buy the English verison and give it another shot, but for right now I am done with the game and am spending my time practicing other fighters I have been ignoring practice in to play that mess of a game.

A lesson to be learned here is maybe your game shouldn't be a giant mess on the first try so people won't lose interest in it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Framerate and speed isn't really an issue. Also why is third-dimension gameplay a bad thing?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Framerate and speed isn't really an issue.

In a competitive multiplayer game? Hell yes framerate and speed are issues. An inconsistent framerate can cause you to drop combos or fail to react and punish to certain things, and that's before you get into the fact that it makes it kinda look like hot rear end. As for speed, a slow-paced, low damage match is far less entertaining to watch/play than a fast-paced, high damage game.

I mean, the game is a fanservice dream, and has some pretty cool stuff going on, but the actual underlying game itself just isn't that good. Even Heritage for the Future, all the way back from 1998, is better than it on the gameplay front.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I myself have never been bothered by the framerate and speed, but then again I'm not a competitive fighter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I myself have never been bothered by the framerate and speed, but then again I'm not a competitive fighter.

That's fine, there are two layers to this game that you can enjoy it by and I'm not saying you're only allowed to enjoy it one way. As someone who plays fighting games on a consistent basis and knows things about them I can't stand it. As a fan of JoJo all of the references and the ways they're implemented are neat and cool, but I also want a fun game. Fanservice is only going to take my enjoyment so far and Heritage for the Future is a better game in just about every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Maybe things changed after Baoh dropped, but winning a round of that game was like hacking through a meat locker with a machete. Looks great, sounds great, tons of fanservice and some neat ideas but, yeah, I'm a fighting game fanboy (not competitive) and I just couldn't actually get past the gameplay.

• Locked thread