Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

unpurposed posted:

So I'd like to pick up one of these Gunpla models soon and would appreciate some suggestions. I've built 40K models before and this looks much cheaper. I'd like a not too complicated model that looks cool with minimal painting necessary.

Basically, I'm in a location where it's not really feasible for me to buy a bunch of paints and stuff. Unless this is different from 40K where I was using a billion paints. What should I buy?

One of my first, and honestly a pretty decent starter since it's pretty old and has less intricate parts to it, was the MG RX-79 and EZ-8. They're simple, they look good, and they've got good articulation for their age, plus a bunch of nice guns and stuff. I love the ground-type Gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

muike posted:

Are you sure you don't have softer and setter backwards there? I always thought setter was supposed to be applied to the surface you're applying it to, and softer was for placing on top if it after it was placed.

Unless I've been using them wrong the entire time, no I'm pretty sure you put both setter and softer on top of the decal.

Putting setter on first would make it hard as hell to readjust your waterslide too, so I'm not really sure why anyone would do that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm pretty sure it doesn't really matter since they seem to be the same solvent but in different concentrations anyway. This hobby is all about finding out how to not gently caress up as much next time, after all

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

I was actually reading through your guide last night and found it pretty good. Although some of the images were broken when I read it. It's pretty interesting how the terminology between 40k and Gunpla is different.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

The X is a good kit, but it gets a master grade this week that is worth your money.

Where would I be able to find this?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

unpurposed posted:

I was actually reading through your guide last night and found it pretty good. Although some of the images were broken when I read it. It's pretty interesting how the terminology between 40k and Gunpla is different.

Amazon for the good price of 49.99 pre-order with Prime shipping. It's linked either the previous page or one before that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpurposed posted:

Wow, thanks for the super quick replies and suggestions! I'm just getting into Gundam (started watching Gundam Wing) and honestly I'm really just into it for the giant robots.

I was really liking this one (http://www.amazon.com/109-Gundam-GX-9900-144-model/dp/B003AH6EPU), as I saw someone post it in the thread earlier. But they all seem pretty good. I might get this or another one first, and then try to get a Deathscythe.

EDIT: Oh, and should I get a Gundam marker? Or will I be fine with a simple mechanical pencil? I'm reading conflicting things.

Caution: all the 1/144 Deathscythes are old kits and will be kind of frustrating and not very good looking unless you paint them. The MG Deathscythe and MG Deathscythe H are both much newer.

What are you looking do do with the marker? Panel line? Color in larger areas?

unpurposed posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNNG2NC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=ZLH6M27KJC8H&coliid=IFENRFC685D1K

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Caution: all the 1/144 Deathscythes are old kits and will be kind of frustrating and not very good looking unless you paint them. The MG Deathscythe and MG Deathscythe H are both much newer.

What are you looking do do with the marker? Panel line? Color in larger areas?

Panel line I suppose. I'd like to get a kit where I can avoid having to paint much at all.

That's a shame about the Deathscythes because it's easily the coolest one I've seen.

EDIT: Although I suppose painting wouldn't be too bad at all considering the emphasis on primary colors. Like I mentioned, coming from 40k has me burnt out on painting a ton, but panels here and there probably wouldn't be too bad.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 20, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

If you're going to get the MG Gundam X, get a panel line marker with it. The Gundam ones are pretty good and you can order it with prime with your kit. A lot of the newer Master Grades look fine out of box with just panel lining. If you have a pair of tweezers you can do stickers too. Decals are a bit different but honestly not too much of a pain and not impossible to remove if you gently caress up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

unpurposed posted:

Panel line I suppose. I'd like to get a kit where I can avoid having to paint much at all.

Main thing to keep in mind is that you want a fine point gundam marker, which is pretty much just a sharpie. Or you could just drop paint entirely and get a mechanical pencil.

quote:

EDIT: Although I suppose painting wouldn't be too bad at all considering the emphasis on primary colors. Like I mentioned, coming from 40k has me burnt out on painting a ton, but panels here and there probably wouldn't be too bad.

If you are building gunpla, especially MGs, painting is straight up optional. You'll get stickers for almost all of the missing colors, if there are any. That, and the ease of construction and excellent quality control, is sort of the Big Thing about gunpla.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Main thing to keep in mind is that you want a fine point gundam marker, which is pretty much just a sharpie. Or you could just drop paint entirely and get a mechanical pencil.

If you are building gunpla, especially MGs, painting is straight up optional. You'll get stickers for almost all of the missing colors, if there are any. That, and the ease of construction and excellent quality control, is sort of the Big Thing about gunpla.

That's good to know. It was actually your HG Gundam X you posted that inspired me to get one.

Also, it's amazing reading through the thread and seeing people comment about the prices for these things. Compared to Warhammer, this is super cheap! :D

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 20, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpurposed posted:

That's a shame about the Deathscythes because it's easily the coolest one I've seen.

I ask because the Gundam Markers are kind of expensive and not that great in my experience. If panel lining is what you're looking to do, these Sakura Pigmas in .005 inches size work pretty well for me. You can go with black only, or get some other colors. This is a set of 6 colors:

http://www.amazon.com/Sakura-30064-6-Piece-Micron-Assorted/dp/B00161NK54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390187121&sr=8-1&keywords=sakura+pigma+.005

EDIT:

unpurposed posted:

That's good to know. It was actually your HG Gundam X you posted that inspired me to get one.

Also, it's amazing reading through the thread and seeing people comment about the prices for these things. Compared to Warhammer, this is super cheap! :D

GW makes pretty stuff but the prices are insane. You can run the price up pretty well in this hobby too, though, with Extra Shiny Super Awesome Web Exclusive On A Stick kits.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Midjack posted:

I ask because the Gundam Markers are kind of expensive and not that great in my experience. If panel lining is what you're looking to do, these Sakura Pigmas in .005 inches size work pretty well for me. You can go with black only, or get some other colors. This is a set of 6 colors:

http://www.amazon.com/Sakura-30064-6-Piece-Micron-Assorted/dp/B00161NK54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390187121&sr=8-1&keywords=sakura+pigma+.005

EDIT:

GW makes pretty stuff but the prices are insane. You can run the price up pretty well in this hobby too, though, with Extra Shiny Super Awesome Web Exclusive On A Stick kits.

Case in point, there's an exclusive MG I want that's an offshoot of one of my favorite shows. It's costing me 85 to get it with shipping.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I have a friend who said that my gunpla collection sucked because I didn't have a Heavyarms Custom in it, but I hate Gundam Wing. What's a decent MG with a ton of guns, preferably Universal Century? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Ver. Ka Victory Gundam kits?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

So I have a friend who said that my gunpla collection sucked because I didn't have a Heavyarms Custom in it, but I hate Gundam Wing. What's a decent MG with a ton of guns, preferably Universal Century? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Ver. Ka Victory Gundam kits?

Well if you can go to HG, Jesta Cannon and the Thunderbolt kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Full Armor Unicorn is probably the UC MG with the most dakka included in the box.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Midjack posted:

I ask because the Gundam Markers are kind of expensive and not that great in my experience.

Speaking of, I got some of those codes for the new year event/raffle and won a set of Gundam Markers:

They don't ship until March though.

Free is always nice.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's a really good score, dude

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Midjack posted:

Full Armor Unicorn is probably the UC MG with the most dakka included in the box.

I heard that thing was kind of a messy build, though? Also, can you un-full-armor it at will?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

I heard that thing was kind of a messy build, though? Also, can you un-full-armor it at will?

I own it and yes you can. It's mostly just a poo poo ton of extra weapons.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, just a super husky backpack that makes the Seravee blush. Hell the detachability is how I'm justifying buying another Full Armor HG in a few months!

Does anyone know how the solar panels on the Gundam X MG are going to work? Are they panels backed by silver stickers or just straight up stickers?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

muike posted:

That's a really good score, dude

I picked the markers cause I'm new to gunpla and wanted to try em out, but I read somewhere later on that if you have a winning code your chances of getting the item of your choice is always 100%, there's no reduced chance for selecting a bigger/more expensive item. So if I had picked a perfect grade kit I'd of gotten it.

Also an updated picture of my stockpile:
Still have 3 more preorders I'm waiting for...

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 20, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

The Unicorn itself is a solid build - it's just when you stick all those weapons on him he becomes a very unstable brick.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

I picked the markers cause I'm new to gunpla and wanted to try em out, but I read somewhere later on that if you have a winning code your chances of getting the item of your choice is always 100%, there's no reduced chance for selecting a bigger/more expensive item. So if I had picked a perfect grade kit I'd of gotten it.

out of curiosity why'd you get two build strikes?

edit- unless you're gonna paint, you also don't have to pick up any putty.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

You bastard, why aren't they in numerical order from top to bottom...
More importantly holy hell that Beargguy-san box is huge.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Monaghan posted:

out of curiosity why'd you get two build strikes?

edit- unless you're gonna paint, you also don't have to pick up any putty.
Originally I was going to just shelf one and build the other, but now I want to build both and just give them different boosters from the show. One of my preorders is for the 1/100 build strike and the Star Build so I guess it's my favorite thus far?

The Master Gundam will be my first build though because while I wanted the horse to go with my Astray, I don't care if the guy himself gets messed up. So I'm probably going to subject each limb to a different technique and see how things look.

And when I bought that MS Girl I was under the impression it was a kit not just a pvc figurine. Kinda disappointed.

I bought the putty because it was on some list of recommended items to have. There's a couple of other things I'm waiting on before I start building, like plastic cement. And going off the new guide posted earlier future...

TARDISman posted:

You bastard, why aren't they in numerical order from top to bottom...

Stacked in the order of purchase, sorry. Although the space ship isn't mine its my brother's.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2014/01/dragon-momoko-1100-oz-00ms-tallgeese.html#more

I think that's officially the first time GundamGuy has advertised third party Gunpla on the site.

...and for anyone who likes Evolve designs, GoGo Model presents Master Grade Kampfer Evolve:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

How do these compare to the official Gundam panel lining pens? I like the official ones because you can stick it on a line and let it fill in via capillary action. If I make a mistake it wipes off with my thumb.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

The Unicorn is like the Victory: an incredibly ambitious design that is amazing on an engineering level, but a complete wreck to actually play with. And yes, you can detach the FA parts whenever you want. People joke that the MG FA Unicorn is basically an all-in-one 1/100 Systems Weapon pack.

Blackchamber posted:

I picked the markers cause I'm new to gunpla and wanted to try em out,

Just gonna warn you that the paint markers are useless for actually painting. Push the paint out of the marker, properly thin it, and then apply with a brush. Their main advantage is that you get to exactly match the color of the plastic, so that's nice at least.

TARDISman posted:

Does anyone know how the solar panels on the Gundam X MG are going to work? Are they panels backed by silver stickers or just straight up stickers?

They're transparent blue pieces over an etched white piece. Presumably there will be a silver sticker between the two to make the clear parts shine.

Blackchamber posted:

The Master Gundam will be my first build though because while I wanted the horse to go with my Astray, I don't care if the guy himself gets messed up. So I'm probably going to subject each limb to a different technique and see how things look.

HG Master is a great kit, even better than the MG in some aspects. Fuuinsaiki is just a glorified display base though.

quote:

And when I bought that MS Girl I was under the impression it was a kit not just a pvc figurine. Kinda disappointed.

You can kitbash the MS Girl's armor onto gunpla and vice versa actually. Screw around with your Fenice and see how it turns out. :v:

quote:

I bought the putty because it was on some list of recommended items to have.

Putty's mostly for if you want to get into modding. You won't need it just to build a kit.

quote:

There's a couple of other things I'm waiting on before I start building, like plastic cement. And going off the new guide posted earlier future...

I don't think any of the HGs you've purchased have weapons that are too heavy for the arms, so Future won't be as useful, but it's always good to have that stuff so good call.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, I finally finished my MG Hi-Nu. :toot:

Yeah, you guys were right, that was a really fun build. It feels weird being able to complete the decal work in half a sitting though, instead of carving out a whole week of sittings like my last three kits have been. Not that I'm complaining, it looks great and I don't even need to buy another display stand for it.

So this is most of the collection right now (though I'm still curious to see others'):

Next project: Finally getting around to putting decals on that Sinanju.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh right, collection picture. My main "display" isn't in my dorm, so all I really have is my army of WIPs.

ZZ and Unicorn Destroy need to be cleaned up and then set aside for future mod work (planning to kitbash the NG FA ZZ parts onto the HG ZZ and practice wiring LEDs on the Unicorn), Nu HWS has been waiting for me to get around to painting his armor for months now, Sazabi has just kind of been sitting around without his partner in crime to pose with, and the HG Gundam/MG Gundam 2.0 are just lost causes I keep around for nostalgia's sake.

Less deep into the backlog are HG Victory (who I just need to repaint the blue pieces of to be done), HG GX Divider (I need to repaint the fuel tanks since I totally hosed up the panel lines and do the Divider justice), HG DX (who I will get around to. Someday), the HG 00 custom (and the Arios I'm stealing parts from) I've been working on, and of course the MG 3.0.

EDIT: Oh and I guess there's that "weathered" HG GX I used to learn how to drybrush and apply waterslides. I try to forget he exists sometimes. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 20, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

You better be putting Sengoku Astray on Fuunsaiki. :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Muffinlord posted:

What's a decent MG with a ton of guns, preferably Universal Century?
MG Full Armor Unicorn. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

How do these compare to the official Gundam panel lining pens? I like the official ones because you can stick it on a line and let it fill in via capillary action. If I make a mistake it wipes off with my thumb.

These don't do that, and I find that an alcohol soaked paper napkin is better for cleaning them up. They're available just about every office supply or art store I've been in, though, and they're dirt cheap.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Is it just me, or is the RG RX-78-2's beam saber comically long? I think it might be longer than some of the MG beam sabers I've seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone got a recommendation for a good HG or RG Gundam kit built around the principle of MORE DAKKA!? :orks:

I've already got a Seravee Gundam (and heard the Virtue's not that great), along with hearing the Heavyarms and Buster Gundams both have terrible kits on account of age, I was just wondering if there are any gems I might've missed. The FA Unicorn's out too, because any time I see it all I can think of is the opening cutscene from the first Worms game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ckbNvrM83A&t=34s

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

There's the Zaku Amazing and to a lesser extent Kampfer Amazing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

slightpirate posted:

Is it just me, or is the RG RX-78-2's beam saber comically long? I think it might be longer than some of the MG beam sabers I've seen.

As far as I know, they in fact are MG beam sabers, not even scaled down. That makes them hilariously long when put on a 1/144 kit.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So would anyone recommend the MG V-Dash ver. Ka? Since it's basically the Victory and the parts kit combined, I figured I'd get a lot more use out of it, and it's pretty cheap for a recent MG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly? I wouldn't recommend it for you. Victory is an incredibly small MG with even smaller engineering, so if you had trouble building the Nu vKa it'll be a complete nightmare. If you're up for that, though, no reason not to. Just be warned that the V-Dash attachments don't really latch on all that well, introduce weight issues, and don't do anything to solve the Victory's inherent fragility.

The new BF episode inspired me to put some more work in on my 00, so

I did. Shoulders have been primed white, the Arios' vulcans are 90% done (still deciding between silver or metallic green for the white strips), and most of the clear parts have been candy coated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I like the lack of V crest and the Arios vulcans. Kinda reminds me of a cross between Tallgeese and Alex. What other kits are you thinking of slapping on there?

• Locked thread