Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

quote:

£850 p/w. I'm not sure you can justify having a pay rise.

Really? For starters, he's getting wildly underpaid by league standards, so his current salary says 'you are a below average manager.' But it seems to me that he's got some credibility - he got us promoted last season and this season we said spend X dollars and get Y outcome which he appears to be on track to do. He's not having a great season, but he's doing OK.

I'd prefer a bonus scheme, and a more complex contract structure (not getting relegated this season triggers a 1 year renewal), but we don't have those options. Within the constraints, it seems reasonable that he could ask for a pay rise... or leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

He's not having a great season, but he's doing OK.

Not sure if I agree with that. Wrexham had the second highest wages early this season. While none of us were realistically expecting promotion, it's pretty safe to say that we've underperformed this season. Even with the wages we've gotten off our bill, we're not spending like the 19th best team in the league.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
SALARY
£950/wk is reasonable for now, as long as...

CONTRACT
Your showing in the next year brings us up from languishing in the bottom of the league.

SET PIECE FOCUS
Succeed or fail based on your own choices, we're not here to do your job for you.

YOUTH TALENT FOCUS
Hell yes. We've already sunk all that money into the little shits.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Not sure if I agree with that. Wrexham had the second highest wages early this season. While none of us were realistically expecting promotion, it's pretty safe to say that we've underperformed this season. Even with the wages we've gotten off our bill, we're not spending like the 19th best team in the league.

Yeah, but we're a freshly promoted team - even when they spend up they still suck due to having a bunch of players on contract that were only good in the league below.

Plus, this is our responsibility too - the expectation and budget we set was for a mid table finish with the 2nd highest salary budget in the league. If the manager delivers that, but you think it's inadequate for the money spent, the board is the one who screwed up. In game terms, I'm pretty sure the settings are:

"Avoid relegation" "mid Table" "top half" "playoffs" "win" perhaps with 'contention' in there somewhere or replacing playoffs. He's currently muddling around between avoid relegation and mid table, so.

I'm not saying he's great, but we're paying ~25% less than average I think he's doing better than 20% below average. Plus he did get us promoted last season. That's a big deal.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 20, 2014

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Plus he did get us promoted last season. That's a big deal.

Yeah, promotion doesn't matter if you don't make it stick. This season was him making it stick. It's next season we start shooting for top half or better.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tehan posted:

Yeah, promotion doesn't matter if you don't make it stick. This season was him making it stick. It's next season we start shooting for top half or better.

With you on that - and while I'm pretty sure this is totally irrelevant mechanically, here is my analysis. Below are the numbers in US dollars per year to make it pretty clear why I think we should cough up a bit extra and lock in his services for 2 years at 950 a week.

What the average guy gets paid to manage: $95,400 (57.5k)

What dorkus gets currently: $73,500 (44.2k)

His proposed pay rise is to: $81,000 (49.4k)

As you can see, 950 a week is still a significant discount to league average. A 2 year deal at 950 pounds a week is a really 'value' contract - so you need to assess what we are buying. Is he a below average manager?

If he's average or better, the 2 year deal at 950 a week is a steal. We lock in a manager at a 10% discount to market! That's good value for a small club - trying to lock him up at 20% below market is just saying 'please leave our club and take the Welsh coaching job' If he's below average, we should fire him at get someone better - we have a good wage budget and can afford a better manager.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If he's average or better, the 2 year deal at 950 a week is a steal. We lock in a manager at a 10% discount to market! That's good value for a small club - trying to lock him up at 20% below market is just saying 'please leave our club and take the Welsh coaching job' If he's below average, we should fire him at get someone better - we have a good wage budget and can afford a better manager.

Honestly, if I was running the club, I'd have probably fired him already, but because he did win promotion last year, I'd be willing to give him one more year; assuming of course that he doesn't get the club relegated.

But, to be fair, I'm trying really hard to stay in character as someone just here to embezzle money.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Honestly, if I was running the club, I'd have probably fired him already, but because he did win promotion last year, I'd be willing to give him one more year; assuming of course that he doesn't get the club relegated.

But, to be fair, I'm trying really hard to stay in character as someone just here to embezzle money.

I'd have fired him if I ran the club as well Llama so you're not alone.

SALARY
£850/wk.

CONTRACT
one year deal

SET PIECE FOCUS
No We need to focus on a lot more then set pieces to improve the club.

YOUTH TALENT FOCUS
After paying extra money to improve the youth facilities, I'd say yes

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
This is not the time to start playing musical coaches, and keeping his salary at £850/wk is tantamount to saying "You're fired, stop the LP". A 950/wk salary is more than reasonable. If I were him, and the board refused any raise, I would quit on the spot.

A Two-year contract should suffice for this however.

If you feel the Set Piece Focus is best, then I'll defer to your judgment.

And Youth Development is plainly important. Continue it.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

950/wk sounds good to me, I think you deserve a pay rise to finance all the blood pressure medication you'll be needing after some of the performances so far.

1 year should be enough.

No set pieces

Lots of children :v:

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010
950/wk is still a steal at this level.

2 Years should be enough time to start seeing some major changes.

Anything you like as far as set pieces are concerned, as long as they're in the goal.

Youth Focus OK. I'm not even sure this was a real question.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, a couple of you guys are way harsh. I bring this team up a level after being hired two months into the season, and then do what you guys ask of me (keep us away from the relegation zone, establish us in League football, even if as a lower half of the table team) and some of you want to fire me? :)

Barring any last minute votes:

WEEKLY SALARY:
Average of 26 votes is 911.5 pounds/week.

CONTRACT LENGTH:
Average of 26 votes is 1.6 years. If I can set it to expire in 1.6 years I will, otherwise it will be an extension until the end of the 2017-2018 season. As for those who wanted an only one year extension, if you got your way and we were in position to earn promotion next year I'd cost you a lot more than what I was currently asking you for :)

SET PIECE FOCUS:
A's have 15 votes, B's have 10 votes. My performance shall be judged on scoring from set pieces.

YOUTH FOCUS:
A's have 24 votes, B's have 2 votes. My performance will be judged on the success of our youth academy and bringing young players into the club.

eta: Voting is closed.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 20, 2014

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Give people the moon and they start asking why you didn't get the stars too while you were up there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Eighth: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
March 10, 2016-March 31, 2016

We're heading into our final thicket of match congestion with four fixtures in ten days, the last of which will be a game at Tackleford with just one day off beforehand. We're also playing four of the next five games away, but the level of opposition varies wildly. Along with league leading Tackleford we have top five team Coventry as our sole home game on the 22nd, bottomfeeders Bristol Rovers and Accrington Stanley on the 12th and the 26th, and middle of the pack Colchester on the 19th. Between five and seven points is a reasonable number to shoot for in these games, we should be able to beat at least one of Accrington or Bristol even on their home pitch while at the same time getting a result from one or two of the other three matches. It's also youth intake time, so I'll be scouring the Isles for undervalued talent with the £22,000 left in the transfer budget.

Our own youth academy players are miserable, I sign a few of them to youth contracts as filler, but none of them will ever see a day with the first team barring emergency.

Way to waste team money, Gill. I don't believe training courses improve things like business acumen, which is the only thing I need from Gill. So this is a few thousand pounds down the drain.

At Bristol Rovers, March 12, 2016
League Two

Bristol are in bad shape. They're 22nd in the league and trying to fend off Scunthorpe to avoid relegation. They haven't been impressive recently, though, so we go into the match favorites despite playing in front of their fans. If we win it's assured that we'll finally move higher than 19th place on the table for the first time all season.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Counter
Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Thomas, Reid, Martin, Ashton, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Coulson, Cooper, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Evans, Poole, McGuinness, O'Hanlon, Price, Bah.

We're up two-nil quickly, the first goal coming on a corner and the second after some nifty work to create space for himself by William Harrison. It's Harrison's first goal since the new year began, and hopefully it heralds more to come. We hold Bristol scoreless, frustrating their efforts to put shots on net, and Reid finishes the humiliation with a stoppage time goal. It's a pleasing performance, and almost every player performs well. The only negative is an injury to Kadhim late in the second half, but it looks like it won't be serious. With the win we're now 16th in the league, our highest position all year.

The players can go home happy, that was some of the best work they've put forth this season.

Man of the Match: Stuart Martin

Bristol Rovers 0-3 Wrexham

My scouts uncovered a lot of talent, the best of which looks like Southend's Dolinsky. I try to open negotiations with them, but most don't want to play for us. Not even Dolinsky, who chose to sign a pre-contract with Southend.

I decided to add Franks to the team. His stats aren't that great but he was fantastic for us down the stretch last season. If even half of that comes through in a higher division he'll allow us to play Coulson more often at striker and force Cooper and Price to up their games if they want playing time. Yeovil and Barnet are both interested in him as well, of the two Yeovil is the one I'm concerned about stealing him away from us.

At the weekly staff meeting it's suggested that Cooper work on not trying to beat opponents with his speed as often. That's probably good advice. Cooper isn't that slow, but with an 11/12 acceleration/pace he's not going to be blowing by fullbacks that often.

Meh. If someone else tries to sign him then I'll give him a pro contract. We've still got him under our control at 80 quid a week for another year before I decide whether he's going to amount to something.

Someone give those three the gift certificates to Rendezvous! (I am a master motivator.)

Yes, I did google “fine dining in Wrexham.”

I'll show these guys stats when they officially transfer in come the June window.

I wasn't able to sign anyone as impressive as Mair or Todd, unfortunately. But all of the people I bring in look like they could some day play in the Premier league.

Reid is the pick of the trio, and if he develops as a striker he could some day supplant Harrison.

Neither Yeovil nor Barnet get wind of our offer to Franks, and he signs with us in short order.

Liam Franks
Right Winger

Franks has come down in the world, last season he was on a £9,500/wk contract with Leeds, now he's on a £700/wk contract with us. That's what being unemployed for nine months will do to salary demands. I'm hoping he's still got the magic that resulted in eight goals and seven assists over just fourteen games last season in the Skrill Premier, our defense has improved over the year to being solidly average but our offense is still one of the worst in the league.

We're grand old friends.

I choose not to ask for a delay. Kadhim and Al-Beloushi have good backups in McGuinness and Higgs, Coulson will be playing striker, and I'd like to get the game out of the way rather than extend our run of match congestion any longer than needed. We've got a game on April 2nd, so one way or another it's going to be a pain to schedule.

At Colchester, March 19, 2016
League Two

Colchester is six points up on us, beating them gives us a better chance of finishing in the top 10. Liam Franks is getting thrown straight into the fire, I want to see how he does against a better class of competition. Coulson plays again at striker, I'm not going to question his success there.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Thomas, Reid, Martin, Ashton, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Franks, Cooper, Coulson.
Subs: Higgs, Evans, Poole, McGuinness, Clarke, Price, Harrison.

Colchester has a goal called back in the early going, one of their players pushed Al-Beloushi on a free kick. The game goes back and forth, with Colchester shooting early and often from low percentage regions of the pitch. They fail to make any impact, and it's new signing Franks who puts us on the scoreboard late in the first half, owing to an excellent assist by Cooper. Shortly after the half Coulson comes off with what might be a serious injury, something that concerns me greatly. Harrison replaces him. Franks adds a second goal to his debut on a golazo free kick that curls into the near post halfway through the second half, and Harrison adds a goal of his own when Colchester can't clear a ball in the box after a corner. Colchester saves themselves from humiliation in the dying minutes of the game with a goal of their own, but we win convincingly. Our new signing has done better than anyone could have hoped, and we're now 14th in the standings, right in the mid-table.

Man of the Match: Liam Franks

Colchester 0-3 Wrexham

Just when we were on a good run, too. Harrison will have to pick up some of the slack now that he's finally started to find the back of the net again. I'm very happy I signed Franks right now, he will give us a second scoring option and take some load off of Harrison. Losing Coulson really hurts, though, he's been our most consistent offensive threat.

It's election day! We won't know the results until after the next game, though.

vs. Coventry, March 22, 2016
League Two

Our field condition remains at Poor. JT Jag is now the only person with a chance to win the contest. Coventry is a very good team, fighting for the last of the automatic promotion spots. We're at home, but they'll be our toughest challenge for the rest of this season with the exception of our match against Tackleford later in the week.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Martin, Don-Duncan, Simpson, Clarke, Bailey, Price, Cooper, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Thomas, Poole, McGuinness, O'Hanlon, Franks, Bah.

The first ten minutes are the type of performance that makes little children hide their eyes behind their hands. We're down 2-0 after Evans makes an ill advised challenge that results in a penalty call in the 9th minute. I'm expecting it to be all downhill from here, but the team shows me that I should have some faith, grabbing one back when Harrison splits the defenders and slots home the finish. Just before the half we equalize on another Harrison goal, this time off of a corner. It's not enough. We play decently until the waning minutes of the second half, when our defense lets us down twice in quick succession. We fall to Coventry by those two goals. What a waste of a comeback.

I berate the team for letting the fans down, they seem to understand my anger.

Man of the Match: William Harrison

Wrexham 2-4 Coventry

How'd you guys end up losing the election? I'm slightly disappointed. Now I have to rename this schmuck. Also, for some reason we've gone from having nearly a dozen directors on the board to only having three. So here's what we're going to do:

First three people to request being on the board, who have not already been on the board, get to be directors.

If you want to be considered for Team President, tell me what you'd do with a pet dragon. I'll pick the one that I like the most, and replace Mr. Mullins with you. I'll pick before the next full update.

Contract negotiations!

As voted on by the thread, I received a £900/wk contract extension for the next 1.6 years. I will be focusing on making the most of our set pieces and building the team through youth. Our next negotiations will be sometime around Christmas of 2017.

I'm fully dedicated to bringing Wrexham up the ranks. Don't you worry.

Our team is set for the rest of the season.

He said this after I talked appreciatively of his playing style. What a jerk.

It's time to make him pay for that.

At Accrington Stanley, March 26, 2016
League Two

Accrington Stanley have lost all five of their previous home games and four of their last five overall. Maybe that nose-dive is why their manager is acting like such a twerp? Regardless, it makes me want to win this game even more, and it makes me think that they're likely to let us. Kadhim and Al-Beloushi are both with their national teams, and aren't available. Simpson will slide back to the Anchor Man position while McGuinness takes his spot, and Higgs will get the start while we go into the game without a backup keeper.

Starting 11: Higgs, Thomas, Reid, Poole, Don-Duncan, Simpson, McGuinness, Bailey, Franks, Cooper, Bah.
Subs: Evans, Ashton, Martin, Clarke, O'Hanlon, Price, Harrison.

We fall behind after giving up a free kick in a dangerous area. The header floats over our defense to the far post, where an Accrington player patiently waits to volley it home. It's all level in a jiff, however, as Ibrahima Bah scores for the first time in what seems like eternity on a brilliant shot from the edge of the area. Shortly thereafter Bah takes a bad knock, but is able to stay on the field for the rest of the game. We take the lead in the 50th minute on another Liam Franks goal, set up off of a Bah free kick. We confidently see out the rest of the match, and are now in 13th place.

Man of the Match: Ibrahima Bah.

Accrington Stanley 1-2 Wrexham

What a punk. There's a reason your team's in 20th place, and I'm looking right at it.

Nothing like rubbing some salt into the wound.

I'm unprofessional? I'm not the one who's seen his team fall from first place in mid-October to 20th place now. I'm looking forward to our games against Accrington next season if Holt is still their manager. I'd very much like to get him fired after we crush him.

It's good to see Harrison and Bah both off the schneid. It makes me think we won't miss Coulson as desperately as I feared.

At least, that's what I thought before I knew Bah's diagnosis. I order him shot up with goofy juice, I'm not going into the Tackleford game in a few days with only one striker on my team.

Speaking of the Tackleford game, it was moved back two days so that Tackleford could play in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy finals. They won it. Those bastards. I'd like to think this means they'll be tired playing us just a couple days after, but they still have an incredibly huge team.

I gave the team two extra off days to recover some stamina before the Tackleford match. It's going to be hard enough playing a team that's the class of the league without our best offensive threat without having players unable to start the game due to fatigue.

Philips is observant, I'll give him that much.

“Tackleford, Tackleford, re-lay your pitch. Tackleford, Tackleford, look's like where I hosed your mom in a ditch!” It needs some work, but I think we've got the start of something there.

At Tackleford City, March 30, 2016
League Two

We've been on a very good run of form recently, we've only lost twice since the start of February, but I still think the media are overestimating our chances of grabbing a result here. I wouldn't mind being wrong, I'm just saying that we're up against a team that'll probably contend for promotion next season in League One.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Defense
Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Martin, Ashton, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Franks, Cooper, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Thomas, Poole, McGuinness, Clarke, Price, Bah.

I set us to play defensively for the entire game, concerned that a counter-attacking mentality might give Tackleford too many opportunities to slice us open. We trade chances throughout the first half, and while Tackleford has more possession, and play is much more in our third than theirs, neither team can make anything of the mediocre chances the other side is allowing. It's much the same after the restart, with Reid and Martin doing yeoman's work keeping crosses and corners from reaching the heads of Tackleford's attackers. We have a real chance to score when Harrison pounces on a killer ball from Martin, but Tackleford's keeper makes an acrobatic effort and denies him the goal. The score line stays level, and we walk away with a point against the best team in the league. It's not the revenge the fans want, but I'll take it.

Man of the Match: Stuart Martin

Tackleford City 0-0 Wrexham

Harrison better stay healthy. Price can fill in as a backup at striker, but when he plays one of the wing positions I'm going to need to call up a youth player until Coulson gets back in two to three weeks.

Finally, an update I can feel proud of. We played maybe a half hour of bad football over the last five games, and for the first time all season we've moved above 19th place. Finishing top ten is probably out of the question now given that we're eight points off with only five more games to play, but finishing in the top half is entirely within our reach. We face Cheltenham and Torquay at home, but our other three opponents are placed 16th, 17th, and 24th. We're on pace to significantly exceed expectations, remember that at the beginning of the season we were picked to finish 22nd and that I was hoping we'd finish about as well as we have.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Go on then, board member me up.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Good update, looks like the team is really coming together and most of the injuries (albeit a couple of big ones this update) are starting to work through. I think next season will see Wrexham playing like a whole different team.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's ridiculous to demand mid-table or better from Brown, I said. He got us promoted, I said. All we can reasonably expect from him is avoiding relegation while he re-consolidates and sets his sights on next season, I said.

And you guys were talking about giving Brown the old heave-ho :stare:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'll sit on the board. I know next to nothing about Football and am drunk a good amount of the time, so I should be perfect.

If I had a pet dragon, I would be just like Daenerys Targaryen, Khaleesi, Mother of Dragons --- except I'd feed them nothing but burgers and chips so the dragons would be well-upholstered and crack fat jokes instead of expelling fire. Also, I'm a guy and look nothing like Emilia Clarke.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Minilude: Depth Charts & Statistics.
April 1, 2016

As requested, our depth charts and statistics. If there's anything else of the players that you'd like to see, please let me know.

The team depth chart. A few first team players don't show up on here, namely Daniel Clarke, Conor O'Hanlon, and Chris Todd.

Al-Beloushi is our first team goalie, Higgs his backup. Al-Beloushi has not proven as good as I hoped, but is a perfectly fine keeper.

Reid, Martin, and Poole all get time at centerback, though recently Reid and Martin have been my first choice there. Todd is our fourth centerback, and plays most of his games with the U18 side. Reid has significantly improved since his rough start with the team, over the last 20 matches he's earned a 7.04 average rating, and never dipped below a 6.2 in any single game. He's finally playing as I expected him to. Martin has also improved as the season has gone on, putting up a 7.11 average rating since the new year.

Evans and Thomas split time at right back. Evans has not been that good since coming over on loan, earning a 6.62 rating which has lead to Thomas getting more playing time recently.

Ashton and Don-Duncan get about equal time at left back, with Thomas getting some time there as a backup. Thomas is most likely of the four fullbacks to be chosen as a substitute due to his ability to play both right and left back.

Kadhim gets most of the playing time as our defensive midfielder. I prefer to have him and Simpson on the field at the same time, and Simpson is more adept at playing in the central midfield. McGuinness is technically the backup here, but he's only seen one game at the position.

Center midfield is actually two positions. The first is our advanced playmaker role, where Justin Bailey is our primary choice. The second is our ball-winning midfielder role, which is where I prefer to play our captain, Stuart Simpson. Both Bailey and Simpson have been very good this season, clocking in around a 7.0 average rating. Daniel Clarke is Bailey's primary backup, with O'Hanlon as the third option. Clarke also sees some playing time in the BWM role, but McGuinness is Simpson's primary backup both at the position and as our captain. Cooper, Price, and Kadhim have all seen limited amounts of playing time in the midfield.

Paul Azille-Moore and Wilson Toms both got playing time at right winger, but they're gone now. Coulson has gotten the most time here, although he hasn't performed as well here as he has at striker. Liam Franks is off to a very good start, which has pushed Price into a backup role.

Aidan Cooper has gotten a significant majority of the minutes at left wing. He's improved some since I told him to stop shooting the ball, and that's what keeps him above Price on the depth chart. Franks and Bah can both play the position, but haven't needed to yet. Clarke's time there was as a substitution, he'll seldom play on the wing.

Due to injuries and ineffectiveness no one player has played a majority of time at striker. Coulson has been by far the most effective when playing the position, while Harrison's overall decent rating masks the two months he spent fallow. Bah has been downright poor, earning a 6.66 and a demotion to my third choice.

I've also picked out where our players stand in the league for some statistical categories:

None of our players rank that highly for number of games played. Simpson and Al-Beloushi are highest, tied for 34th. I like to have some squad rotation, it gives players a chance to show me what they can do and keeps them from getting bone tired and jaded down the stretch. That's especially the case for young players, who are more likely to get deeply fatigued as the season goes on.

Coulson is our top scorer, but given that he's out for at least two more matches there's a chance Harrison could pass him.

Justin Bailey is 11th in assists, quite respectable. And that's despite his missing six weeks with an injury.

Stuart Simpson is our only player with any sort of disciplinary issues. As a team we've earned the fewest yellow cards in the league.

Ben Evans earned all of his Man of the Match awards with his last team. Stuart Martin, on the other hand, has been our most awarded player.

Our play style does not lead to a high percentage of pass completions, but our midfield has three players who average over 80% a game.

Femi-Don Duncan is a tackling machine. I'm not quite sure why, his counterpart Ashton is only at about 4.4 a game. Stuart Simpson is also high on this leader board thanks to his role as our midfield destroyer.

Coulson is our only player to make the top 25 in dribbles per game, I'd like to see Harrison's name up here as well.

Our captain has run the equivalent of over 10 marathons this season. That's impressive.

A high work rate attribute score combined with a counter-attacking style of play leads to a lot of running around. Cooper's got pretty good stamina, which has allowed him to play so often.

Al-Beloushi hasn't been spectacular, but he is tied for 7th in shutouts.

Michael Coulson needs to learn how to spring the offside's trap better. As does Harrison, who's not on this list solely because he lacks playing time.

Our performance in this stat is even better than it looks- every player above our trio but one has attempted fewer than ten crosses in total. Our players have each tried at least thirty, and Simpson and Bailey's have tried over seventy. We're very good at completing our crosses from the midfield, which leads to good chances.

Tackling is not the name of our defense's game. Martin is tops on our team with 11, which leaves him tied for 73rd overall.

Our defense instead focuses on clearing the ball out, and not letting our opponents get good looks at the ball in dangerous areas. The defense forces them to take bad shots, because they can't manufacture good ones. It's worked pretty well, I'd say that right now we have one of the best defenses in the league.

Our defenders are also pretty good at keeping opponents from passing the ball into our penalty area, another reason why our defense has gone from brutal to quite good over the course of the year.

Lastly, Justin Bailey and Michael Coulson both make appearances in the top 50 for average rating. We don't have any players who are amongst the very best in the league but this is a damned sight better than early in the season when we didn't have a single player above a 6.76 average.

These are all the stats for the team. They include both cup and league play. If you just went crosseyed, don't worry and move on. Otherwise dig in. The stats glossary is below.

App: Appearances, Starting(Substitution)
PoM: Man of the Match awards
Gls: Goals
Ast: Assists
Off: Offsides
Shots: Shots
Sh T: % of Shots on Target
K Pas: Key Passes
Pas R: % of Passes Completed
Itc: Interceptions
K Tck: Key Tackles
Tck: Tackles per Game
Tck R: % of Tackles Successful
K Hdr: Key Headers
Hdr A: Headers Attempted
Hdr R: % of Headers Successful
Cr A: Crosses Attempted
Cr C/A: % of Crosses Completed
DrbPG: Number of Dribbles per Game
Mstks: Mistakes
Gl Mistakes: Mistakes Leading to Goal
Yel: Yellow Cards
Red: Red Cards
Av Rat: Average Rating

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 21, 2014

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Holt's shots at you were un called for. I have no idea why he was acting like an rear end after you were positive towards him. And he really shouldn't have: if you notice not only he had lost 4 of his last five games, Acrington was outscored, 9 to 1. All of his losses were shut-outs.

However I guess Acrington's lovely performance is why he's acting like that. Is any of his players injured?

Also I would like to put my name in for Team President. I kinda know a bit about Soccer(or Football as it's called i other parts of the world), which says alot more about most owners. What I'd do with a pet dragon is make him happy: by letting him destroy everything that pisses him off. :black101:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Board me. Also I will take that tie with Tackleford. WE did it with what, a fifth of the budget?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 21, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
EDIT: Ninjaed :argh:

I'll be president. What would I do if I had a pet dragon? I'd fall deep into debt to people deliberately then pull out the 'wait how bout I pay you double if I show you a dragon, if I can you have to pay me instead?' Nobody would believe me, then I'd pull in the dragon. If they tried to hold out on me they'd be neglecting the fact that I have a pet dragon.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 21, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Board of Director's spots are filled.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

This is why we should have locked him up for two years at 950 a week :argh:

Team President Entry If I had a pet dragon I'd do what any good supporter should do: burn down Tackleford's stadium, drive them from league 2 and hear the lamentations of their fans!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 21, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is why we should have locked him up for two years at 950 a week :argh:

Hey, I wanted a 3 year deal. In 3 years we should be angling for promotion to the Championship!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Hooray for slightly better results against Tackleford!

10 points, 5 games? I still believe! :dance:

Anyway.

Let's Team President This! If I had a pet dragon, I would totally go BBC's Merlin and just occasionally summon the dragon to destroy teams who are cheating us out of victory (too often have I been burned by the stupid AI in this game) and on one day per year let children ride the dragon at the Wrexham fête.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, looks like we might be getting out of this slump!

As for the pet dragon question, it depends - are we talking regular dragon size (i.E. loving huge) or more whelp size? If the former, I'd use it to menacingly hover over every training session to spur those lazy sods on a bit and I'd probably make it the official team bus to save on money and gain that intimidation factor. If it's the latter, I'd probably turn it into our Attila (Eintracht Frankfurt's live eagle mascot) and have him watch over home games sitting on his own comfy little pedestal next to our bench. And when we win, he can fly around the stadium in celebration! People really dig live mascots.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

beru04 posted:

Hooray for slightly better results against Tackleford!

Slightly? Last time Tackleford made us their bitch! It's a much better result! I regret not offering 3 years now.

Next time: We gently caress their poo poo up sideways!!! :black101:

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Very happy to see us up in the mid table, and very safely there as well. It's going to be a shame that we can't follow Moneyford up to League 1 this season, though. Ah well. Hopefully within 5 years time we're both tearing up the Premier League.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I'm enjoying this LP very much, having ignored FM for many years despite its dual siren allures of high review scores and endless spreadsheets.

Also, I just wanted to say good luck, and we're all counting on you.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Well done on leading us to midtable (though I stand by my minimal wage increase: economic growth might be getting forecasted up, but I can assure you that for most people things are still pretty poo poo so £900 p/w is pretty loving spectacular. Football boards being known, of course, for their commitment to social equality), and that was a cracking result against Tackleford. 6 shots on target from 23 is a sign of some truly excellent defending/defensive midfielding, so well done on containing them while getting the only clear cut chance.

How're the reserve/under 19s doing? Given our youth policy it'd be interesting to see where they're sitting.

If I had a pet dragon I would let it loose on the Wrexham pitch (close season) so that some intrepid/well paid photographer could snap a shot of it in the six yard box so that half the background was green, green grass (hoping the pitch has been relaid) and half the peeling-whites of the goalpost and frame.

Niric fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2014

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Let's become the Team President.

If I had a pet dragon I would first have to see what kind of dragon it is. I fits a swamp dragon of the discworld variety I would let the opponents pet them before a game on the offchance he explodes and takes their team with him giving us a free win (bonus points if its Tackleford). However if we're talking about a classic dragon then he would become the most valuable asset in the team. In training he would be able to light a fire under underperforming and bad mannered players, In transfer negotiations he would incite a burning passion in players to play for us, not to mention his deafening roar will be able to be a key asset in or defense and offensive strategy so far the coach is willing to make use of it. Outside of that he would still be an excellent way to get rid of a coach/player should it come down to it (or at least it will force a termination on the side of the coach/player saving us resources). All in all a pet dragon would be a key ingedient on our way to worldwide domination.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Niric posted:

How're the reserve/under 19s doing? Given our youth policy it'd be interesting to see where they're sitting.

Our youth side is looking pretty decent. These are the guys who have some potential of turning into something, outside of Ratcliffe and Hennessy they were all brought in from the outside. We have depth now in case our front line players go down, and if we get off to a hot start next year or face some easy meat in the Cups several of these guys will get a few hundred minutes with the first team to help their progress along.

All of them should be eligible for the U18's next year, as IIRC U18 eligibility is determined by the player's age on new year's of the current year- so as long as they weren't 18 before 1/1/2016 they should still be able to play in the youth group one more year even if they turn 19 during the course of it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 21, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If I actually win the pitch condition guess contest, I believe I have the right to become team president. Hell, my guess was a joke because I assumed it would have gotten to terrible months ago. Of course, if I had a dragon, I'd use it to periodically burn the Tackleford pitch, maintaining it at a worse condition than Wrexham's. Even when Wrexham's pitch condition is Terrible, I'd keep Tackleford's pitch at the mythical "Dogshite" level.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Surprised no one's gone for the obvious dragon use and sent it up to space during the next Tackleford game to fetch a satellite to be delivered to the front office/owners box.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
If I had a pet dragon, I'd have it cloned. In just a few years, my unfailingly loyal dragon squadrons would sweep forth in unstoppable conquest, by wing and by claw and by flame imposing a new era of rule, my rule. All who oppose us will be gathered up and thrown into the dankest, most foul midden the world has yet seen: Tackleford's pitch.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I had a pet dragon, I'd have him eat Bah and take its place as striker. That's if I could get a work permit for it, which I highly doubt.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

TorakFade posted:

If I had a pet dragon, I'd have him eat Bah and take its place as striker. That's if I could get a work permit for it, which I highly doubt.

If you threaten to have the Dragon eat the ones giving work permits I'm sure they will happily oblige!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'll be president. What would I do if I had a pet dragon? I'd fall deep into debt to people deliberately then pull out the 'wait how bout I pay you double if I show you a dragon, if I can you have to pay me instead?' Nobody would believe me, then I'd pull in the dragon. If they tried to hold out on me they'd be neglecting the fact that I have a pet dragon.

It was difficult to choose a president, there were some excellent responses (notably CVE, for being willing to use his dragon for the team; AJ_Impy, for doing the only rational thing one could do with a dragon; and Beru04, for the civic day where kids get to ride the dragon), but this one tickles my fancy the most. Congratulations Sky Shadowing, you're the new team president!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Whoops, bottom of the page, shifting to the next one for readability.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 23, 2014

• Locked thread