Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Popete posted:

So a very clean 1998 740il is for sale near my parents place. It has only 69k miles and runs fine according to the dealer. They are asking $5500 for it. I'm very tempted to check it out, it would look great with some style 37 M parallel wheels on it.

Please tell me this is stupid and I should stop looking at German yachts for a viable winter car when I already have a perfectly serviceable e30.

Last week I wanted a e46 touring (still do) this week its a 740il. What the hells happening to me?

the real question is: does it have rear end-warmers?

those are great, but a different purpose than a e46 touring. If you have a fun car (like an e30) it's really really nice to have a refined car for daily driving and long trips. note that gas mileage will be less than an e46 touring by 3-5mpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Popete posted:

So a very clean 1998 740il is for sale near my parents place. It has only 69k miles and runs fine according to the dealer. They are asking $5500 for it. I'm very tempted to check it out, it would look great with some style 37 M parallel wheels on it.

Please tell me this is stupid and I should stop looking at German yachts for a viable winter car when I already have a perfectly serviceable e30.

Last week I wanted a e46 touring (still do) this week its a 740il. What the hells happening to me?

Man it's like every small car lot has that same 5k 740il. Believe me, there's a lot wrong with that car more than likely.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

8ender posted:

Man it's like every small car lot has that same 5k 740il. Believe me, there's a lot wrong with that car more than likely.

nickel and dime stuff will get him on either car.

intake flapper, oil squirters falling off, subframe cracking, etc on the E46 touring will cost just as much imho

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The M60 is a better engine than the M70 at least. As long as the transmission hasn't been trashed, and it's only got 69k miles on it so that doesn't seem super likely it's not like the thing will leave you stranded really. It's just gonna have a bunch of poo poo in the interior that will probably break and annoy you to varying degrees. I don't know if I'd bother getting a 7 series unless I was carting people around all the time, if you want a cruiser an E34 or E39 would be a better bet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Friends don't let friends buy 7ers, end of story. Sure it's cheap but bear in mind that it was an $80-100k car when it was new, and parts prices reflect that.

E: if you're buying a full-size German luxury sedan, it's S-Class or nothing. That way at least you can tell yourself that you're driving the finest car in the world when you've rung up another $10k repair bill at the shop.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 17, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MrChips posted:

Friends don't let friends buy 7ers, end of story. Sure it's cheap but bear in mind that it was an $80-100k car when it was new, and parts prices reflect that.

Yeah this is kind of what I was expecting. For some reason the thought of getting to drive around in a giant German luxury sedan during the winter months sounds appealing. But I have my hands full with the e30 and e36. A touring is still possible to throw into that mix. I would love to get an e46 touring and put some BBS LM wheels on it with shorter springs.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Plus, go and drive a 740i sport (without the SLS) before you even consider a non-sport LWB. That's the one that might actually be worth the e38 headaches.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Popete posted:

Let's just say there's a lot of truth to the saying that only rich folk and BMW mechanics should own 7's.

Get an E39 if you want something bigger to haul people around in and still have fun doing it or just keep with your winter cars now. (Or just swap some heated seats into one of your other cars. Heated seats + gloves makes my commute MUCH better in the morning than when I was driving a benz with non-heated leather)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The E38 parts prices are not as awful as they used to be. Its just annoying poo poo.... the electronics on the E38 have died by now so most of the fixes are posted online. Just avoid V12 models and you'll be fine. Its not that they are worse... just more poo poo, tighter engine bay, and it uses 2 DMEs.

https://www.e38.org is where I would start.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
A strange turn of events in my life have occurred recently. My father passed away in the last two years, and my family is dealing with my mother's well being and financial crisis. To promote her independence we have all decided to lease her a brand new vehicle.

For the last 20 years she has been driving an e34 525i my father bought her brand new. I spent my whole life with this car, my dad taught me how to drive in it. And after that instilling in me a passion for cars.

I have decided to purchase my mother's e34 from her with the intention of making a pretty awesome project car. (I sold my 964 and had been looking for an e36 m3 for the last few months but have not been able to find the right one.)

Whats going on with that strut tower? My mother decided it would be a good idea to run a red light into a busy intersection in 1995. The car was repaired but its starting to rot out. That MUST be repaired.

So I ask all of you, what are your suggestions I do with this car? I know this is financially dumb. Stupid nostalgia has caused me to turn a blind eye to that.

The car is auto, so it will need a complete drivetrain swap. I wanted to do an LS series however it looks to be a very hard feat.

2JZ? Turbo m50? Help me decide this cars sweet fate.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Just... buy it and drive it? You don't have to go whole hog on it but an LS 5er would certainly be a blast on the road :black101:

I'd read the poo poo out of that thread

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

tuddy posted:

Whats going on with that strut tower? My mother decided it would be a good idea to run a red light into a busy intersection in 1995. The car was repaired but its starting to rot out. That MUST be repaired.

So I ask all of you, what are your suggestions I do with this car? I know this is financially dumb. Stupid nostalgia has caused me to turn a blind eye to that.

The car is auto, so it will need a complete drivetrain swap. I wanted to do an LS series however it looks to be a very hard feat.

Fix the rust dude! Swap a drive train in there and spend all that money just to have the other poo poo rot out? I mean piss your money away, but drive it like it is. Besides, every one and their drat brother does an LS-X motor swap, if you are going to do a swap, do something interesting.

Shoe horn an M70 in that pig. 570i :getin:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

tuddy posted:

A strange turn of events in my life have occurred recently. My father passed away in the last two years, and my family is dealing with my mother's well being and financial crisis. To promote her independence we have all decided to lease her a brand new vehicle.

For the last 20 years she has been driving an e34 525i my father bought her brand new. I spent my whole life with this car, my dad taught me how to drive in it. And after that instilling in me a passion for cars.

I have decided to purchase my mother's e34 from her with the intention of making a pretty awesome project car. (I sold my 964 and had been looking for an e36 m3 for the last few months but have not been able to find the right one.)

Want to take a trip to Ontario? I have a e34 525i winter package that is going to be retired soon. Good engine, 5 speed, limited slip diff, and the sport seats. 137k on the engine and I'm daily driving it right now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Honestly I'd scrap it with that strut tower rust unless you are going to fix it yourself and are also drat good at welding. E34 shells really aren't expensive at all.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.

Crustashio posted:

Honestly I'd scrap it with that strut tower rust unless you are going to fix it yourself and are also drat good at welding. E34 shells really aren't expensive at all.

I plan on fixing it myself / having my buddy weld it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So it sounds like my dad is getting pretty serious about wanting to restore the 87 325is. By restore it I mean he wants to put a turbo/super charger in, fix the rust spot. Actually I'm not really sure what he wants to do, but I guess that's where I come in.

You guys have suggestions on turbo/super kits? Neither of us are really comfortable working on cars yet but he has a lot of tools and space and between the two of us can probably do most jobs. The turbo/super we could have a shop install (definitely for the turbo, a bolt on super kit we could probably do ourselves).

I guess my question is what sort of modifications should we look into? He has tasked me with coming up with a parts list and he'll make an order soon with plans to work on the car over the summer. The car already has lowered springs from previous owner but I figure we could put some coilovers in as the suspension is starting to feel a bit loose. The car has 120k miles but is in good shape, it's currently my winter car and doesn't get driven much the rest of the year. I had some leaky coolant hoses replaced a year ago and it has a small oil leak which requires it to be topped off every once in a while.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004
My 335i threw a CEL today for P0015 pending. Looks to be VANOS exhaust solenoid, and a fairly straightforward yank, clean, and reinstall scenario. If I shut the car off and turn it back on, everything clears right away. What I'm trying to verify are the BMW specific codes, which my generic OBD scanner cant pull.

I guess it makes more sense to just hurry up and buy my JB4 with USB cable, vs spending $200 on the Bavarian Technic cable. The JB4 can pull all those BMW specific codes as well right?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Popete posted:

So it sounds like my dad is getting pretty serious about wanting to restore the 87 325is. By restore it I mean he wants to put a turbo/super charger in, fix the rust spot. Actually I'm not really sure what he wants to do, but I guess that's where I come in.

You guys have suggestions on turbo/super kits? Neither of us are really comfortable working on cars yet but he has a lot of tools and space and between the two of us can probably do most jobs. The turbo/super we could have a shop install (definitely for the turbo, a bolt on super kit we could probably do ourselves).

I guess my question is what sort of modifications should we look into? He has tasked me with coming up with a parts list and he'll make an order soon with plans to work on the car over the summer. The car already has lowered springs from previous owner but I figure we could put some coilovers in as the suspension is starting to feel a bit loose. The car has 120k miles but is in good shape, it's currently my winter car and doesn't get driven much the rest of the year. I had some leaky coolant hoses replaced a year ago and it has a small oil leak which requires it to be topped off every once in a while.

All of this sounds like a terrible loving idea.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Popete posted:

What the gently caress?

You want to restore this car, but you want to put coilovers and a turbo or a supercharger on it? This doesn't make any sense at all.

Refresh the suspension bushings and components, fix the rust spot, and install an E36 steering rack. Then you can worry about forced induction.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

What the gently caress?

You want to restore this car, but you want to put coilovers and a turbo or a supercharger on it? This doesn't make any sense at all.

Refresh the suspension bushings and components, fix the rust spot, and install an E36 steering rack. Then you can worry about forced induction.

agreed.

Personally, I'd M50TU swap the thing and call it good. Much less money/effort for a newer, more efficient motor that makes about 200hp while being reliable and using stock factory parts.

And definitely do ALL the bushings and steering components.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

If you're gonna swap, do M52. Absolutely no reason to stick to the M50. Or really even M5x, S50s/S52s can be had pretty cheap these days/

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 18, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Crustashio posted:

If you're gonna swap, do M52. Absolutely no reason to stick to the M50. Or really even M5x, S50s/S52s can be had pretty cheap these days/

While your at it. Just shove an M62 in there. :getin:

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Crustashio posted:

because they're easy as gently caress to boost later and cheap as hell to buy

single stage vanos makes tuning a breeze

tuning dual vanos is a PITA.

NWDub fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 18, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

What's with the upper left text? Is that track info from the CD changer or something?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

What's with the upper left text? Is that track info from the CD changer or something?

It's what song is playing on the radio station.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NWDub posted:

because they're easy as gently caress to boost later and cheap as hell to buy

single stage vanos makes tuning a breeze

tuning dual vanos is a PITA.

M52 isn't dual vanos, and is still cheap. I could barely give mine away, ended up selling it for 350 with all accessories, harness and ECU.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah restore is not the best choice of words. We wanna boost the car, but also get it to a good maintenance point and cosmetically refreshed. The car is in solid condition and is ripe for a project, but the end goal is not a restored stock 325is.

I like the idea of an S52 swap, I feel like I could come by one in Wisconsin where a lot of older cars are rotting away.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
M50/2/S52 is going to be the easiest cheapest route from all my observations. I think my plan is that route + 5-lug swap on my red car. After I buy my dads mint '87 325is :getin:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Would it be a good idea to go with an M/S50 instead of the 52 so the car is already OBDI?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That is my understanding, yes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
For 300 dollars you can get a tune + delete EWS, SAP and post-cat O2s. For me that would be worth it for the better motor. I wouldn't turn down an M50/S50, but I'd certainly look for the OBD2 versions over the OBD1.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 19, 2014

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Misguided basket-case? or value-oriented track car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4292912367.html

quote:

BMW E30 M50 UNIQUE SWAP
STREET/AUTOCROSS/TRACK CAR

One of a kind E30 M50 swap with engine and transmission relocated 7.5" rearward of the stock position for better weight distribution and handling.
The reward positioning of the engine and transmission makes car lighter in front thus eliminating the use of power steering (power steering can be re-installed if desired).
Two speed electric radiator fan conversion.
Manual brakes conversion featuring Wilwood lightweight alloy pedal box with separate master cylinders for front and rear circuits

Engine and transmission came out of a 1993 325i E36 with 125k miles. It has bronzit plastic bumpers.
Car has about 147k miles on the body. Odometer stuck at 142k. Paint is good but has a few rough spots. Car has some rust (5"x5") by the battery tray and in the passenger foot-well (1"x2"). There is a small dent by the rear right tail light. Driver seat has rips.

Has a 5 lug swap with 17" alloy wheels and 215/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Z2 with less than 1k miles on them.
Front suspension and big 315mm brakes are from a 1999 E36 M3.
Rear suspension and brakes 1996 318ti. (bigger than E30 stock rear brakes)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Holy poo poo

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Hey BMW thread, I've got a couple questions for you. I currently have a mid-00s Civic Hybrid that is like driving a lawnmower and am looking to get a late-00s 328i. I have a friend who's moving cross country who is selling an 08 with ~60k miles, base package, full service records, for around 16k. It looks like my local dealer has a similar 08 with 87k miles, the same package + Bluetooth and Navigation for $13,900. Carfax on that one comes back clean with full service records all at the same dealer. Am I crazy for thinking that's a pretty good deal? Are there any things in particular I should keep an eye out for? I need to drive a real car again.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm no expert, but both of those prices seem kinda low to me, which makes me suspicious.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Hog Obituary posted:

Misguided basket-case? or value-oriented track car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4292912367.html

yes, take a car with 50/50 weight distribution and gently caress IT ALL UP

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

What the?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
M51 diesel, same engine as you'd get in a 525td/s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

another angle of the thing.

His harness work scares the poo poo out of me though. :catstare: