Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Well I done did it. Put in my 2 weeks notice and found myself a little cafe inside an office building to go on vacation in. Monday to Friday, 6-4, holidays off. Good hourly rate and tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Well I done did it. Put in my 2 weeks notice and found myself a little cafe inside an office building to go on vacation in. Monday to Friday, 6-4, holidays off. Good hourly rate and tips.

Congrats! Be free, be happy.

On the other hand I'm back in it. Had my first day today. Immediate issues: massive management turnover and problems. No communication, eye-rolling employees, blowhard managers who say "WHY AREN'T YOU DOING ANYTHING" 6 times while standing around discussing football. Upside: I can fellate egos fine, all this means is more bodies to climb over to become server in a month. Place was way more streamlined and organized than anywhere else I've worked so far, so credits to the corporate bullshit for that. drat good food too. Gonna be a fun ride, and what matters most is that my coworkers already like me.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah.. yesterday I went snowboarding and made more progress on my 1000 paper cranes. The real world is really... strange.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you carry a pedometer? My new phone has one built in, and I started using it one day. I average between 5.5-6.5 miles a day apparently. That's a lot of drat walking :v:.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
One of my boh buddies tracked his for I think about 3 months and was averaging about 6 miles/shift, so that sounds right.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I managed 7 miles yesterday, forgot about that. Though that includes the shopping after work, walking to and from the car, etc.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My boss just informed me that he's pretty close to closing on a contract that'll triple our overnight production and delivery numbers.

My liver nearly quit in protest.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

My boss just informed me that he's pretty close to closing on a contract that'll triple our overnight production and delivery numbers.

Please don't die, I like you.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Doesn't that mean you can hire a couple more people and you can (hopefully) shuffle some of your work off? I mean, logically. I know this industry and all, but one can hope?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah.. yesterday I went snowboarding and made more progress on my 1000 paper cranes. The real world is really... strange.

This is adorable. :3:

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Liquid Communism posted:

You are going to become 80% whiskey.

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp

Liquid Communism posted:

NOW i'm serious DEMAND MORE PAY NOW THIS IT THE TIME PLEASE DO IT OR BABY JESUS WILL CRY.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well, I'm in full time school (30 hours if class), plus holding down an office job (30 hours on top of that), plus flying everyday (another 15 hours). All this is making me nostalgic for my kitchen job, because at least I go to drink then.

Someone kick my nostalgic rear end please?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

breadingbutter posted:

NOW i'm serious DEMAND MORE PAY NOW THIS IT THE TIME PLEASE DO IT OR BABY JESUS WILL CRY.

Working on that. Biding my time until we have confirmation.

Managed to get a long weekend scheduled for a couple weeks out, thank god. I need a nap.

Naelyan posted:

Doesn't that mean you can hire a couple more people and you can (hopefully) shuffle some of your work off? I mean, logically. I know this industry and all, but one can hope?

Maybe one more person to work the 6pm-1ams, which would turn us into a 24/6 shop. :unsmith:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Dear Restaurants that aren't chains: Get some loving online ordering/delivery systems setup or at least a method to take delivery orders that are paid via card. I never keep cash anymore and I want a pizza without going out in the cold. Your inability to exit the 90's is forcing me to get chain food.

Seriously though, just helped setup online ordering at my new job and it was actually stunningly simple.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Seamless is great, except for the whole fax thing. I'm of mixed feelings about including the tip on there, as well as doing delivery if you don't have dedicated bussers, but that was just one place in particular.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I mean if delivery isn't part of your concept, great. Keep on keeping on, I'll be in to eat some time. But if you already offer delivery or if its a big part of your business, I'm looking at you really good pizza joint that I love dearly, you really need to find a way to take credit cards for delivery orders. Even if it just means me coming in once and buying a $100 gift card to use as a tab.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

You can't just tell them the credit card number over the phone? I figured that's how everyone did it. They bring the slip for you to sign with the food...

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Seamless is great, except for the whole fax thing. I'm of mixed feelings about including the tip on there, as well as doing delivery if you don't have dedicated bussers, but that was just one place in particular.

We use Seamless and have a laptop dedicated to receiving/confirming Seamless orders via the web (they print out via a linked printer). I know I get pretty angry when I see there is no tip included for the delivery guy when there's a snowstorm outside, we're in Manhattan where delivery is done on bikes, and they live in the furthest corner of our delivery range, but there's nothing I can do but hope that person is leaving a cash tip with their $130 order.

As for call-in delivery orders...

GigaFool posted:

You can't just tell them the credit card number over the phone? I figured that's how everyone did it. They bring the slip for you to sign with the food...

This is pretty much what I thought too. (To my amazement, there are people who expect the delivery person to be carrying a credit card reader, based off their reaction when they tell me they'll pay by card and I ask for the number.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kimitsu posted:

We use Seamless and have a laptop dedicated to receiving/confirming Seamless orders via the web (they print out via a linked printer). I know I get pretty angry when I see there is no tip included for the delivery guy when there's a snowstorm outside, we're in Manhattan where delivery is done on bikes, and they live in the furthest corner of our delivery range, but there's nothing I can do but hope that person is leaving a cash tip with their $130 order.

If it makes you feel better, I -never- tip credit for delivery drivers. A buddy of mine who used to manage a Pizza Hut pointed out once how easy and common it is for managers to skim from that pool. Cash is king.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kimitsu posted:

This, and then this again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GigaFool posted:

This, I've never seen anyone offer delivery without some method of taking credit cards. The idea is mind-boggling.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
It depends on who takes the call apparently. Some of their staff just don't bother taking cards on the phone.... Now that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: Also I opened my fat mouth at my new job on Friday and now the owner is bringing me in on her plans to open a second café in partnership with a local brewery. Damnit. But it's a really cool idea that is perfectly in line with my current intersts! poo poo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 19, 2014

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

If it makes you feel better, I -never- tip credit for delivery drivers. A buddy of mine who used to manage a Pizza Hut pointed out once how easy and common it is for managers to skim from that pool. Cash is king.

All of my delivery drivers prefer cash tips, because of the way the company handles credit card tips and their wages. See, their pay is $5/hour + credit card tips. If, at the end of the pay period, that amount divided by your hours worked does not equal $8.25 an hour, you get $8.25. I read somewhere that it was law that companies make up the difference if your tip workers don't make minimum wage, so I guess that's law.

What this basically means is that depending on how much the driver works that week, their credit card tips just evaporate, while cash (which we don't track) goes straight into their pockets gas tanks. Realistically, it means the driver is making at least $8.25 an hour, which is great for slow days, but the $5.00 credit card tip is suddenly far less special than someone handing you $20 on a $15 order and saying keep the change.

Though, we don't have the ability to skim the tip pool where I work, since the POS takes care of all of that. It might have been a problem when we were still paying drivers cash, but I never saw it; drivers got a printout when the clocked out that had what they should be getting/giving us. It didn't leave room for interpretation.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

It depends on who takes the call apparently. Some of their staff just don't bother taking cards on the phone.... Now that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: Also I opened my fat mouth at my new job on Friday and now the owner is bringing me in on her plans to open a second café in partnership with a local brewery. Damnit. But it's a really cool idea that is perfectly in line with my current intersts! poo poo.

See, I hate entering credit cards manually as well, but I'm not going to tell a customer that I won't do it. I'll just let the natural embarrassment of slowing everything down encourage them to get a new loving card. It seems like every other Chase card I get is hosed up in some way or another. (FYI: A call center takes care of our phone orders, because it's much easier to pay a bunch of people to sit and take orders in Philly and email the stores in the chain rather than expect two or three people to answer phones in a rush. Things are more accurate, angry customers are firewalled, and we don't want to murder everyone by the end of a night.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Though, we don't have the ability to skim the tip pool where I work, since the POS takes care of all of that. It might have been a problem when we were still paying drivers cash, but I never saw it; drivers got a printout when the clocked out that had what they should be getting/giving us. It didn't leave room for interpretation.

Yeah, if I recall (it was some years ago), he said that since it was policy that shift managers could take deliveries if they needed to, the rear end in a top hat'd just assign those orders to himself in the POS then send the regular driver out with it.

Shady as hell.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, if I recall (it was some years ago), he said that since it was policy that shift managers could take deliveries if they needed to, the rear end in a top hat'd just assign those orders to himself in the POS then send the regular driver out with it.

Shady as hell.

Pizza delivery in general, from the drivers to the store, is shady as hell.

I kind of miss when I was doing it full time for a local place that was pretty busy, especially on the weekends, and was paying cash at the time. I was making 6/hr in cash plus tips. I usually made at least 100 in cash on M/W/Th and around 150/night on F/Sat/Sun. And this was back when gas was around 2/gal or less.

The store didn't use any computer system, so everything was done by hand on a triple copy check. Green was the official/driver copy, yellow was the customer copy and pink was the store copy. The delivery pinks got put on a spike and were matched with the green copies at the end of the night. Sometimes pink tickets didn't get spiked and sometimes a driver could snag a copy that had already been spiked. The store itself was completely dodging taxes on the drivers and it was sort of a wink and a nod that the drivers would pay themselves.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So my boss owes me 3 weeks of pay from last year and I've asked him when he is going to pay me (and the other staff he owes money too) and he doesn't have a definite answer. I actually really need the money right now so I'm wondering if I should just call him and ask for what he owes me or?

Not sure what to do

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Get a new job and sue him in small claims court if he doesn't pay you?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Would love to but not sure what I would do for money in the meantime since he is still paying me, just missing 3 weeks (which I really need right now)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bowmore posted:

Would love to but not sure what I would do for money in the meantime since he is still paying me, just missing 3 weeks (which I really need right now)

These situations don't usually end well. You don't want to work for someone who steals from your paycheck. Find a new job and then quit.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Liquid Communism posted:

Shady as hell.

When you put it like that, I don't quite mind people paying cash tips on card orders; cash tips in general are always better. (Tax-free money? Sure!) I think I just like the certainty that seeing the tip on a Seamless order brings.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just a nice chat on the phone with him and he has agreed to pay me on Friday. Plan is to get money then quit. Woo :toot:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
CALL YOUR LOCAL DEPT OF LABOR. IN MANY STATES, IT IS A FINE OF $100 A DAY THAT YOUR PAYCHECK IS INCORRECT. I MADE A SWEET SETTLEMENT THROUGH THE DOL WHEN A JOB TRIED TO gently caress ME.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

CALL YOUR LOCAL DEPT OF LABOR. IN MANY STATES, IT IS A FINE OF $100 A DAY THAT YOUR PAYCHECK IS INCORRECT. I MADE A SWEET SETTLEMENT THROUGH THE DOL WHEN A JOB TRIED TO gently caress ME.

Phone posting or emphasis? Doesn't matter: know your rights. It's a shifty business with fewer pros than lifers, don't be afraid to get yours.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Shady as hell.

Yeah, shift managers (according to corporate policy) aren't even allowed to deliver our product. Considering the scheduling fuckups that have been put in my lap since we got our new GM, I play fast and loose with this rule. The general manager can use a driver account to assign himself deliveries, but he doesn't get the delivery fee or the credit card tip. Which double sucks for him when he has to cover a driver shift.

Which is its own frustration. Finding reliable, fast drivers that don't change their schedule much is like trying to find a unicorn. You'll find a reliable and fast driver that always is wanting various days off, or a fast driver that doesn't take much time off but is constantly late. Heck, you'll find reliable drivers that don't ask for much time off but are slow as hell and you don't want them on your shift because they slow everything down. I found one, once, that was all three.

We promoted him to shift manager within two weeks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, think about it. Delivery beats the living poo poo out of your car for nowhere near enough money to justify it. Anybody motivated and with the qualities to do something better will go do that as soon as they can. Only people I've ever known to make money delivering food were dealing pot out of the car at the same time.

I do delivery all the time myself, but only in the work van, and for my regular hourly. Screw beating my car to death six days a week when the bakery can write that poo poo off against their taxes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, think about it. Delivery beats the living poo poo out of your car for nowhere near enough money to justify it. Anybody motivated and with the qualities to do something better will go do that as soon as they can. Only people I've ever known to make money delivering food were dealing pot out of the car at the same time.

I do delivery all the time myself, but only in the work van, and for my regular hourly. Screw beating my car to death six days a week when the bakery can write that poo poo off against their taxes.

Hah, you think delivering beats the poo poo out of your car, try working as a messenger. I've driven 91000 miles in the past two years.

You can actually make money as a delivery driver if you completely own a decent, reliable car (like a mid 90's Toyota or Honda) and surprisingly I'm making some money as a messenger despite the fact that I'm driving a 2012 Elantra which now has 91000+ miles on it. However, it gets really good gas mileage which is why I'm actually making some money.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

The tax thing is actually something my old manager was on for a while. I don't think he's an expert on it, and maybe I should head over to A/T and ask some of the goon lawyers/tax professionals, but he was claiming that, because of the way we employed our drivers, they qualified to take those deductions if they did their taxes right. Not sure how much that would help the individual 'contractor,' but it's something I keep telling myself to look into but never really get around to.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Warmachine posted:

The tax thing is actually something my old manager was on for a while. I don't think he's an expert on it, and maybe I should head over to A/T and ask some of the goon lawyers/tax professionals, but he was claiming that, because of the way we employed our drivers, they qualified to take those deductions if they did their taxes right. Not sure how much that would help the individual 'contractor,' but it's something I keep telling myself to look into but never really get around to.

Yes, if you are working as a delivery driver and you are using your own car, you can get a bunch of deductions for stuff. Mileage, gas, repairs, maintenance and interest (if you are still paying for your car) are things that you can deduct from your taxes, but you do need to work with a tax professional to get it all sorted out right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Christ. I put my rear end into it during training, and only get 3 days assigned to me this week. I'm going to need to talk to the (apparently universally disliked) managers and impress on them I'm not some gently caress around college kiddy looking for beer money, I need full time hours and pay so I can make rent and become a server as soon as possible to make an actual living. I'm already stuck waiting for cash just so I can afford a subway pass and time on my phone, so it's an hour+ walk to work and back every day until that happens. This place is seriously lacking for a supposedly corporate environment.

Black August fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 21, 2014

• Locked thread