Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Robocop 2 was pretty okay but so stupid in parts, 3 is an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
RoboCop: Prime Directives makes RoboCop 3 look like a goddamned masterpiece. It's a drat shame they didn't have any money (and couldn't cast an actor who actually gave a gently caress), because PD had some pretty interesting ideas and a poo poo ton of potential.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best part of PD is the actor was shorter in the suit than the guy playing his son. By like, 3 or 4 inches.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

AGirlWonder posted:

Someone suggested earlier that this movie might be an inverse of the first- where the original was about Murphy being made into a cyborg, but retaining his humanity, this film might make him look more human, but it's just a facade. I would be very alright with that, since they really can't have him move and look the way he does and keep the old theme.

If they went with this I would be very impressed. It would almost make the previews a sort of meta troll for people who have seen the original. :psyduck:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rhyno posted:

The best part of PD is the actor was shorter in the suit than the guy playing his son. By like, 3 or 4 inches.

Check out the scenes where he dramatically "holds up with one hand" actors that are like a foot taller than him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJOxn-IlyE

Also mariachi music followed by "I'm composed of titanium. I don't believe you are."

Finally, take a shot every time an actor says either "I am an employee of OCP" or "You are an employee of OCP."

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

If it is an inversion of the original, on purpose, I could forgive the human hand as being the inversion of the scene in the original where they salvage his arm but Morton specifically tells to get rid of it.

I just can't bring myself to hate Robocop 3, if only because I saw it as a young child and it's the movie that got me interested in Robocop.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You'd never seen them before? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on them if this was your first time seeing them!

And by sequel I hope you mean Robocop 2 and not 3 ;) You probably did, though, because you'd be singing a different tune if you had watched 3.

Yeah, I'm 22. My exposure to Robocop consisted of the awesome Alvin and the Chipmunks parody and VH1's I Love the 80s. One of the things that struck me right away (because it's the first thing in the film) is the world-building. The newscasts and the commercials are such a creative way to show the general attitude of Old Detroit, and I hope that the remake continues them in some form. Even that weird-rear end sitcom ("I'd buy that for a dollar!") makes the setting seem more real. They show a strange apathy coming from the public, concerning all the violence and death in their lives. There's so much going on, with the privatization of public resources and the gloomy tone of the city, and the film just focuses on Murphy's story.

Murphy was completely horrifying. I appreciate that he doesn't look anything like a human, but watching Weller with the mask off is really disconcerting and hard to watch. I think that's the point, though, and it's well-made.

Robocop 2 was good. Not as good as the first, but it wasn't awful, and I enjoyed it enough. I though it was funny how Murphy was iridescent. The deal with Nuke was cheesy, but that's because I grew up in DARE programs and seeing the failure of the War on Drugs. The 10 year old drug dealer was hilarious, as were all the horrible Little League kids. I was disappointed that the Nuke plotline got equal screentime to the OCP plot, which was more engaging and better handled- I liked seeing that even the meek or victimized OCP heads from the first film were just as awful as Dick Jones.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 19, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo Rasa posted:

Check out the scenes where he dramatically "holds up with one hand" actors that are like a foot taller than him:

Also mariachi music followed by "I'm composed of titanium. I don't believe you are."

Finally, take a shot every time an actor says either "I am an employee of OCP" or "You are an employee of OCP."

Now somebody post the horror story about how they took a hacksaw to the suit to make it fit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh poo poo, I take it back! I just saw my first TV spot for the remake while watching South Park on Comedy Central!

Now let's see if they keep up...

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

The guy playing RoboCop sounds like he's doing his darndest to channel Michael Shannon. Also got a pretty good laugh at the people running the gift kiosk, who decide to hang around throughout multiple shootouts.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

If it is an inversion of the original, on purpose, I could forgive the human hand as being the inversion of the scene in the original where they salvage his arm but Morton specifically tells to get rid of it.

I just can't bring myself to hate Robocop 3, if only because I saw it as a young child and it's the movie that got me interested in Robocop.

I can't bring myself to hate RoboCop3 because of the scene where RoboCop drives the pimp mobile. It's such an amazing visual.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I haven't seen Robocop 3 since it originally came out, I remember it being awful. Should I re watch it? I might watch all three since it's been awhile. I know I bought a box set awhile ago and 3 is the only one I never watched from it.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
It's not even Peter Weller. :colbert: And I'd think OCP would stop getting contracts for drones after the first several failures.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Slasherfan posted:

I haven't seen Robocop 3 since it originally came out, I remember it being awful. Should I re watch it? I might watch all three since it's been awhile. I know I bought a box set awhile ago and 3 is the only one I never watched from it.

I saw it as a kid and recognised it was fairly poo poo compared to the other two. I've rewatched the first many times and the second about half as many but never had the urge to view the third again.

I only remember robot ninjas and a robocops jetpack. But I haven't heard any opinion that makes it seem worth rewatching. Not good enough to legitimately enjoy and not bad enough to be entertaining.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AGirlWonder posted:

It's not even Peter Weller. :colbert: And I'd think OCP would stop getting contracts for drones after the first several failures.

Let me tell you about the F22 and F35.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A friend ordered a couple of Robocop figures from Amazon, one old, one new... this is what he wrote:

Robocops showed up
I recorded a vid on my webcam
basically
new Robocop is badly made
old one is very good

AGirlWonder posted:

Young Freud posted:

Let me tell you about the F22 and F35.
Hahahaha yeah. That's pretty accurate to the defense industry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hahahaha yeah. That's pretty accurate to the defense industry.

If you remember Dick Jones ranting at Bob Morton in the executive restroom, he literally says "who cares if ED-209 works?" as long as they've got those military contracts for parts. It's the "razor and blades" business model coupled with the sunk cost fallacy, because once the government buys the damned things, they'll keep buying them and their parts and maintenance contracts for perpetuity to get them to work. It mirrors government projects of the time like the Bradley IFV and failed projects like the DIVAD (which almost had similar incidents to Kenney's shooting with the AA guns locking-on to the audience stands and outhouse fans during trials) and continues to mirror with stuff like the aforementioned F22 and F35.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 19, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Neo Rasa posted:

I just can't over the music. It elevates the scene from irredeemable to funny as hell.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Fun Fact: I first saw Robocop 3 on a bootleg VHS that a kid in school got hold of. We gathered around his house because he told us the movie was so violent that it was banned in 'Asia'. It had Thai subtitles (Putting an end to that theory) and part of the screen was cut off. That remains my only ever viewing of Robocop 3.

2 has some good ideas in it, and is generally mental in a fun way...but it's just not that good. It's a real 'Parts are greater than the whole' type movie. Weirdly I think the original is more tame than Part 2, but only because the sequel just seems to ramp everything up. The original has its tongue in cheek but has a foot in the real world, the sequel is just all comic book. It's loud and brash.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

What the gently caress? It's like a little kid running around in a costume.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's Robocop: For Your Height Only

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Neo Rasa posted:

He's even shorter than the woman...

Also, I like how you can see his face is too small for the black part of the helmet as when he moves his head/talks it separates from the side.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I need some photo or even a clip of the sneaker scene in robocop 3 where you can see them. The closest thing I can find in google/youtube is a lovely video of a doll telling me how bad Robocop 3 sucks. He does this by starting every sentence with "fuckin".

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I need some photo or even a clip of the sneaker scene in robocop 3 where you can see them. The closest thing I can find in google/youtube is a lovely video of a doll telling me how bad Robocop 3 sucks. He does this by starting every sentence with "fuckin".

Bonus pic:

You can see Not-Peter Weller's arm :ssh:

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 19, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress? It's like a little kid running around in a costume.

Well, Rhyno brought it up, so I might as well tell the story again...

Prime Directives was made on an extraordinarily low budget because Fireworks Entertainment, which had acquired television rights to RoboCop from Orion (which was desperate for cash at that point), wanted to get something out of the property before the rights expired. One of the areas where they ran into cost issues was the Robosuit, because they needed a few of them for RoboCop and RoboCable. Ultimately, Rob Bottin agreed to rent out the production a few of his originals (in addition to casting a new suit for Maurice Dean Wint, who is like 6'3" and just wouldn't fit in anything pre-existing), on the condition that they wouldn't come back damaged (which is why you don't see any "battle damage" in Prime Directives, the actors just flail around like they're having epileptic seizures when they're malfunctioning).

Well, when it came time to get Page Fletcher fitted into the suit for the first time, the producers realized they had a problem. The original Robosuit was designed to fit Peter Weller's specifications, and he's a solid six feet tall -- they were able to mostly work with this with Robert John Burke and Richard Eden on RoboCop 3 / The Series, as Burke is about the same height but was more muscular than Weller (so there are parts of 3 where you can clearly see the bodysuit underneath the armor; they also made changes to the collar and thigh areas to accommodate for Burke's size), and Eden was just a hair shorter than Weller (though his suits were made from Burke's, which resulted in some awkwardness). Page Fletcher, however, is about 5'7", 5'8" on a good day. He simply didn't fit in the suits that Bottin had provided, and they had no money to pay for a new suit, because it would have required re-molding the entire thing at a six-figure cost, basically. So the Prime Directives crew came up with a rather ingenious solution.

They took a hacksaw to the legs of Fletcher's suit, without checking with Bottin or even consulting him on ways they might be able to cheese it.

Upon receipt of the suits, Bottin was, shall we say, displeased.

Edit: As another example of how low-budget this piece of poo poo was, have a gander at the helmet-less makeup, consisting of ... a black turtleneck.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 19, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Timby posted:

They took a hacksaw to the legs of Fletcher's suit, without checking with Bottin or even consulting him on ways they might be able to cheese it.

Upon receipt of the suits, Bottin was, shall we say, displeased.

No wonder Rob Bottin no longer works in the film industry and ended up making a post-Hollywood career off of real estate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LMFAO PAGE FLETCHER?

Holy poo poo, that was the guy from the loving awful Hitchiker show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's kind of hilarious knowing that the last time Robocop was on any screen he was shorter than you were.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

AGirlWonder posted:

Robocop 2 was good. Not as good as the first, but it wasn't awful, and I enjoyed it enough. I though it was funny how Murphy was iridescent.

The suit was iridescent in all of them, it just wasn't as exaggerated.

I have a piece of one of the production suits from RoboCop 2, and some other various set props. I work with a guy whose uncle was on the second unit team and has a closet full of poo poo like that, and he gave it all to me when I professed my obsessive RoboCop problem. Nice guy. Tried to give me a bunch of poo poo from the second The Mummy movie too.

(Fun property department-related fact: the "computer board" in the background of that above still that RoboCop jacks into was used as a security panel in an episode of Firefly; I about poo poo when I saw it the first time)

There is no RoboCop 3. There's RoboCop, and RoboCop 2, and that's it. There's some horrible unrelated movie called RobertCop 3 I think but it's not a RoboCop movie and I won't hear any more about the subject.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As cool as the spike was, why on earth would they make that? I mean are you expecting the regular disk jockeys to carrying around metal spikes for jamming into databanks? You only ever see Robocop use one--did they retrofit all the record-keeping hardware so he could use it freely? Why then does that gormless dork there object to his doing so?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
They used it because

My 4K transfer arrived today, I know what I'm doing all night after work!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slim Killington posted:

My 4K transfer arrived today, I know what I'm doing all night after work!
Let me know how it is! I got an email that mine had shipped from Amazon today, but for some reason I went with the free slow shipping so mine won't get here until Friday.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
It looks fantastic (finally). Very much worth picking up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lotish posted:

As cool as the spike was, why on earth would they make that? I mean are you expecting the regular disk jockeys to carrying around metal spikes for jamming into databanks? You only ever see Robocop use one--did they retrofit all the record-keeping hardware so he could use it freely? Why then does that gormless dork there object to his doing so?

...for the same reason R2-D2's little twiddly thing on an extending car aerial was. That and to use to stab motherfuckers in the neck...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hand-spike will always be infinitely cooler than whatever Blue-tooth or Wifi new Robocop will have.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Slim Killington posted:

(Fun property department-related fact: the "computer board" in the background of that above still that RoboCop jacks into was used as a security panel in an episode of Firefly; I about poo poo when I saw it the first time)

I'm pretty sure it's in an early episode of Star Trek: TNG when they were still rely on prop rentals rather than making stuff internally. 80's films are full of 'em.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got my bluray. Most of the footage is fantastic. There are a few shots where some detail is lost but I'm willing to write that off to bad exposure/focus in filming (this is besides the NTSC footage)

One thing though is I'm having trouble getting use to the new iridescent Robocop. It's so obvious that it's just a cheap purple/blue airbrush touch up and the paler colors of previous releases hid the fact :(

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
They didn't dnr or remaster out the grain did they? I may not get around to it till this weekend, if they did, ehh, it was $9 and I think the last release is fine, but yea, all the film grain in the prior release is one of my favorite things about it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Got my bluray. Most of the footage is fantastic. There are a few shots where some detail is lost but I'm willing to write that off to bad exposure/focus in filming (this is besides the NTSC footage)

One thing though is I'm having trouble getting use to the new iridescent Robocop. It's so obvious that it's just a cheap purple/blue airbrush touch up and the paler colors of previous releases hid the fact :(

Yeah, the lost detail is really apparent in the shot right after Robocop stabs Clarence.

That and the slight coloration issues on Robo aside, it's still a fine transfer. Well worth the $8 or how much you ever decide to get it for.

E: Not sure if I'm missing something, but I thought the new release had both the theatrical and uncut versions. Unless "deleted scenes" is just the bits from the uncut.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr. Lariat posted:

They didn't dnr or remaster out the grain did they? I may not get around to it till this weekend, if they did, ehh, it was $9 and I think the last release is fine, but yea, all the film grain in the prior release is one of my favorite things about it.

Nah, healthy, vibrant grain.

Extras are fun too, dunno if they were in the previous release but there are several moments when the animator accidentally breaks the ED-209 model

• Locked thread