Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's those eyes man. People just can't resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It's those eyes man. People just can't resist.

OBEY.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Put the hypnotoad background behind him and that would actually look pretty freaky I would imagine. That's one intense stare.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I dunno, personally this one scares me more than any of the other characters in SEED mode.
Cold, dead eyes on a Jpop idol...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
But she's surpassing her limits by sitting there!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still don't understand what SEED mode even is. First Kira had it, and you could justify it as probably having something to do with being the Ultimate Coordinator. Then Athrun got it, so maybe it's just a thing all really good Coordinators have. Then Cagalli got it, and okay I guess it's just a thing any really good pilot can get? Then Lacus got it, and she doesn't even do anything and what is this crap.

Going by Durandal's obsession with genetics and Shinn, I assume it's just something you can do if it's in your DNA. But then that just makes SEED even more of a clusterfuck of contrivances and bullshit "only the genetic ubermensch can win".

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 20, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I still don't understand what SEED mode even is. First Kira had it, and you could justify it as probably having something to do with being the Ultimate Coordinator. Then Athrun got it, so maybe it's just a thing all really good Coordinators have. Then Cagalli got it, and okay I guess it's just a thing any really good pilot can get? Then Lacus got it, and she doesn't even do anything and what is this crap.

Going by Durandal's obsession with genetics and Shinn, I assume it's just something you can do if it's in your DNA. But then that just makes SEED even more of a clusterfuck of contrivances and bullshit "only the genetic ubermensch can win".

I think of it as "main character win button," like plot armor but offensive instead.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BlitzBlast posted:

You're thinking about it harder than the staff did. It's literally just a meaningless power up that they later attempted to explain and justify. Paraphrasing a bit here but it's just a visual representation of someone surpassing their own limits. Yep.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's the powerup they get when they reach 130 Will.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I just always imagined it as a pilot's high where the one affected is literally one with their machine. It at least works that way with Shinn since he only can activate it at full rage.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I just always imagined it as a pilot's high where the one affected is literally one with their machine. It at least works that way with Shinn since he only can activate it at full rage.

I personally took it as something similar to Domon's whole "clarity" deal but not at all explained and just a little stupid. Well... a little explained but only in passing by Waltfeld saying "So how about them Berserkers huh?" and what's her name from Orb talking about it in a recap before going "Wait, I can't bullshit my way through this thought, computer delete that."

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Been watching Gundam Unicorn - it's been a good ride, but character motivations have become incredibly confusing. I'm doubtful that episode 7 will redeem episode 6's plot dump, but here's to hoping.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

Been watching Gundam Unicorn - it's been a good ride, but character motivations have become incredibly confusing. I'm doubtful that episode 7 will redeem episode 6's plot dump, but here's to hoping.

Which set of character motivations are confusing you?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

For 95% of it the motivation is 'Newtype Bullshit'. I love UC as much as the next guy, but a lot of Unicorn boils down to people becoming attached to one another via Newtype connections and then being forced to kill/save those people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tezzeract posted:

There's three core sets of motivations at work as of Unicorn 6.

-Banagher + Audrey/Mineva: Find the Laplace Box and use it to break the status quo in a way that attempts to derail the endless cycle of warfare that Earth and Space have been locked in since the OYW began. They're not even really sure what they're going to do with it once it's found, they just want to keep it out of the hands of those who would in their opinion misuse it and then try to come up with something beneficial to everyone after the fact.

-Full Frontal + Sleeves: Find the Laplace Box and use it to piss in the Federation's cheerios. Full Frontal's plan is to pretty much invert the current status quo; instead of the colonies being the impoverished ghetto living under the boot of the fatcat aristocracy on Earth, he wants to shift the focus of economic and military power to space and leave Earth as the impovershed ghetto living under the boot of the spacenoids instead. Zinnerman in particular is initially supportive of this not because he really thinks it's right but because he's nursing some incredibly deep psychological scars about the Federation killing his real family.

-Riddhe: Stop everyone from finding the Laplace Box at all costs, no matter what. The One Year War was a terrifying nightmare of a conflict and while the status quo isn't perfect it's a holy loving poo poo hell of a lot better than the possible reignition of a war that killed a third of all humans, everywhere, inside a week. Riddhe himself is biased in favor of the status quo because he's the rich son of a Feddie aristocrat who has it made in the current system. He's also kind of messed up in the head because he had a bit of a newtype awakening when he met Audrey/Mineva. Anaheim's motivation for giving him the Banshee to help him is because it's in their interests for the status quo to continue so they can keep making bank on selling mobile suits and weapons to both sides.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Kanos posted:

There's three core sets of motivations at work as of Unicorn 6.

Not sure if anyone has explained this yet, but why hasn't anyone called out or strung up Anaheim Electronic for their excessive war profiteering by selling weapons openly to both sides in any UC conflict? You'd think the Feds or any flavor of Zeon would have a problem collaborating with them on design or technology, only to find out they just turned around and provided it to the other side.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You don't bite the hand that feeds you I suppose.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MEAT! posted:

Not sure if anyone has explained this yet, but why hasn't anyone called out or strung up Anaheim Electronic for their excessive war profiteering by selling weapons openly to both sides in any UC conflict? You'd think the Feds or any flavor of Zeon would have a problem collaborating with them on design or technology, only to find out they just turned around and provided it to the other side.

They're not open about it and their double dealing is not really common knowledge. The Gerbera Tetra is a good example; it was born out of the Federation-sponsored GP series, originally intended as the GP-04. When that line of profit got closed they dolled the GP-04 up with a new, more Zeonic aesthetic and sold it to the Delaz fleet. Nobody except the people at Anaheim themselves likely knew that the Gerbera Tetra used to be a Gundam, they most likely just went to Delaz's quartermasters and said "Hey want a really high end mobile suit prototype? It has output that rivals a Gundam's! :haw:"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MEAT! posted:

Well, this kind of ends up happening offscreen. Anaheim is nowhere to be seen in F91 and Victory.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wasn't Char aware of Anaheim supporting both sides? He leaked the Sazabi's specs so Amuro could make the Nu. You'd think one of his many underlings would have caught on since then.

Even if not, it is still shaky. All of Anaheim's facilities are on the moon (except for that one in ZZ that was a giant spaceship but it exploded anyway) so it would not be particularly difficult to see that hey, some of these are rolling out monoeyed suits along with the v-fin flavor of the month.

It makes slightly more sense if you look at it from the point of view of the AEUG/Sleeves/various spacenoid resistance forces who need every bit of help they can get, but there's no explanation for the Federation never even paying attention to Anaheim other than incompetence/corruption. Which is a reasonable thing to assume of the Federation in Gundam, actually. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Most incarnations of Zeon are probably desperate enough for resources that they can't afford to be choosy. The Feds are a bit shakier, but it's probably a mix of corruption and apathy as you say.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tsob posted:

Most incarnations of Zeon are probably desperate enough for resources that they can't afford to be choosy. The Feds are a bit shakier, but it's probably a mix of corruption and apathy as you say.

Isn't AE pretty much a monopoly on mobile suit production by the time of Zeta? Certainly that's why the various Neo Zeon factions had to deal with them (and conveniently they made all the designs derived from the iconic Zeon suits) And I think if the Feddies want anything mass-produced they have no option but to go to them, especially when they hit another crisis and need lots of suits in a hurry.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, this kind of ends up happening offscreen. Anaheim is nowhere to be seen in F91 and Victory.

They're still involved. The big plot leading up to F91 is about Anaheim competing with the new Federation SNRI facility for Federation mass production contracts. They have a hard time competing with the talent at SNRI and after pushing out total dogshit like the ATMOS, they give up and simply straight-up steal their rival's designs, passing them off as their own.

Although the SNRI won the bid for the limited mass-production special forces model with the F91, Anaheim still successfully won the bid to mass-produce the mainstay mobile suits for the Federation due to SNRI not being able to deliver a successful low-cost implementation from the Formula project.

SNRI however landed themselves in a heap of hot poo poo when the Feddies found out they had been giving their latest F97 mobile suits away to pirates, prompting the Federation by default to once again side with Anaheim and mass produce the loving piece of poo poo Javelin, and after their next advanced mobile suit design also went up in smoke, it signalled the end of the Federation's trust in them. Which makes it not very surprising that a huge chunk of SNRI broke away from the Federation to support the Zanscare Empire instead.

What were Anaheim doing in Victory? Nothing much, just providing these little-known guys with the required facilities, money and manpower to be able to stabilise some kind of war effort.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Isn't AE pretty much a monopoly on mobile suit production by the time of Zeta? Certainly that's why the various Neo Zeon factions had to deal with them (and conveniently they made all the designs derived from the iconic Zeon suits) And I think if the Feddies want anything mass-produced they have no option but to go to them, especially when they hit another crisis and need lots of suits in a hurry.

Anaheim acquired ownership of every single Zeon mobile suit manufacturer after the OYW and thus got access to all of their research and blueprints, which basically made them the most advanced manufacturer of mobile suits in the entire Earth Sphere. This gave them pretty much a stranglehold on all mobile suit production because for mobile suits performance and quality are a big deal. You could try to build your own suits, but they wouldn't be as good as Anaheim's and your opponent who was willing to pony up to Anaheim would kick your rear end.

This monopoly let them play every side against each other pretty much indefinitely. They built all the major Titans suits(Hizacks, Marasais, etc) but were also the primary supplier, funder, and sponsor of the AEUG. In effect, they basically manufactured the Gryps Conflict in order to generate mobile suit production contracts. They continued this to some degree in ZZ by supplying the Gundam Team to enough of a degree to stop Axis Zeon from rolling the Earth Sphere over.

Char did indeed purposely leak the Psycoframe to Amuro via Anaheim and he was well aware of their backstabbing. He simply didn't care because he wanted a "fair" final duel with Amuro and Anaheim was a convenient way to give Amuro a leg up. If he had succeeded in dropping Axis Anaheim's racket would have basically collapsed because there would have been no more Earth Federation and Char would be effectively the last man standing and perfectly wise to their tricks.

Anaheim basically retained total control of mobile suit manufacturing until the Earth Federation said "gently caress it, enough" and built SNRI as their own in-house mobile suit research and manufacturer circa F91, at which point they faded into the background and lost their stranglehold but never really went away until UC 0200 or something.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

More importantly, which company thought it was a good idea to make the freakin' helicopter and wheel suits from Victory?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TARDISman posted:

More importantly, which company thought it was a good idea to make the freakin' helicopter and wheel suits from Victory?

No idea about the beam rotors, but everything involving wheels seems to have been the brainchild of a single motorbike-obsessed lunatic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Anaheim probably makes enough cash off of both sides that their designers just run with whatever mobile suits they can think up while high, drunk or generally just for a laugh, just to see who'll actually buy it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anaheim probably makes enough cash off of both sides that their designers just run with whatever mobile suits they can think up while high, drunk or generally just for a laugh, just to see who'll actually buy it.

Zanscare's suits(including the ridiculous motorcycle suits) were built by BESPA, which is a rogue splinter of SNRI. Anaheim actually only supplied one side in that war and it was the League Militaire.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TARDISman posted:

You know, the idea of a helicopter MS isn't a terrible one, it's just that the MS splits in half to form the vehicles, so if one half gets blown up, you're kind of screwed and can't form the MS anymore. That dates back to the ZZ Gundam, though. Well, the RX-78 would split apart too, but the core fighter was more of an escape mechanism rather than forming independent vehicles.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So I just spent the weekend powering through the SEED remaster. It... wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I legitimately enjoyed most of it.

Now for the SEED Destiny remaster. :unsmigghh:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

So I just spent the weekend powering through the SEED remaster. It... wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I legitimately enjoyed most of it.

Now for the SEED Destiny remaster. :unsmigghh:

I really want to watch them, but honestly, due to how they fixed the faced the "off model" shots, I think the DVDs I have are the superior copies.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I really want to watch them, but honestly, due to how they fixed the faced the "off model" shots, I think the DVDs I have are the superior copies.

Having never watched the original versions, could you explain this for me?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bloody Pom posted:

In the original version of SEED the Hiraiface wasn't as homogeneous as it was in Destiny, and the remaster "fixed" that by removing any of the differences.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Image on the left is the original. The latter is the remaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basically they are always more on-model but Hirai on-model is horrible and ugly.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

All things considered, had SEED consistently looked like the off model shot, I'd lose a lot of my ire.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Basically they are always more on-model but Hirai on-model is horrible and ugly.

Majestic Prince turned out reasonably alright despite all the Hirai-face. Though I guess it didn't have the rest of the problems of SEED compounding on that. For example it actually had interesting characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Majestic Prince turned out reasonably alright despite all the Hirai-face. Though I guess it didn't have the rest of the problems of SEED compounding on that. For example it actually had interesting characters.

I couldn't finish MJP because of how awful the characters looked, especially when they tried to do fanservice, so YMMV. :smith:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Image on the left is the original. The latter is the remaster.
:stare:

Wow, I see your point. The remaster even fucks up his expression. He looks less angry and more mildly concerned. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

:stare:

Wow, I see your point. The remaster even fucks up his expression. He looks less angry and more mildly concerned. :v:

As I said, SEED would lose a lot of my flack if it had that actual art style. Then it'd just be a bad show instead of a bad show that is bad to look at.

• Locked thread