Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Pierson posted:

Jesus I think I found where all the difficulty went, this dude was keeping all of it in his castle. The dogs are bad enough but combined with the charming succubi I've had more gameovers in this place than the rest of the game combined!

Stick a charm-nullifying accessory on someone and have them use Provoke or Catch Me to draw most attacks to them. Casting Sleep on the succubi can make things a bit more manageable too. Sadly, Entice isn't a spell so Silence doesn't stop it. :(

Edit: this also helps with the dogs, since Bite's aggro-raising side-effect makes no difference if the target is already doing that to themselves anyway!

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I finally got through it, and I guess besides the job Vampire = Blue mage niiiiiice the reward is basically (plot spoiler) telling you there is gonna be a plot-twist REAL soon. It's barely hidden either there's literally one person it could possibly be. Even accounting for Protagonist Blindness and the fact they need to stay in the dark I'm surprised not one of them commented on it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Im in chapter 8 now and all i can say is this game suffers heavily from being too long and loving repeating the same poo poo for 4 chapters! It should have ended after chapter 5 for gods sake. It stopped being fun a long while ago, thank god I've got an auto-win party though that basically wins all battles with one button press.

Mostly I think Chapter 5 could have been cut, and any story content in it could have just been put into Chapter 6. I'm fine with Chapter 7 and 8 since they really switch up the optional fights and have plenty of interesting/fun dialogue. And also being able to change the encounter rate, I don't think I could have gotten through the game without it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright cool. Just got to the 3rd boss and he's hitting my knights for a amazing 9 hp of damage so getting kinda concerned about Normal difficulty

Edit: He just used a skill called double damage and then hit everyone for 1 damage. My sides.

When I fought that boss every double damage was an instant KO.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Does anyone know if this game got a really tiny print run in Europe? Loads of places seem to be sold out of it, even online retailers. I really want to pick it up next week, but it looks like I might not be able to.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

^ I don't think the Print Run will have been especially high, especially considering that late adopters can get it on the eShop.

Pierson posted:

Yeah I finally got through it, and I guess besides the job Vampire = Blue mage niiiiiice the reward is basically (plot spoiler) telling you there is gonna be a plot-twist REAL soon. It's barely hidden either there's literally one person it could possibly be. Even accounting for Protagonist Blindness and the fact they need to stay in the dark I'm surprised not one of them commented on it.

It's worth noting that this "spoiler" is sort of out of order, you aren't meant to do this side quest in chapter 4, it's just that it's possible.

By the time you are meant to do this, other people are starting to figure this out too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Protip: when you fight Qada, don't have Damage Dispersion on any of your characters. It does not mix well with his Dark Breath.

That was a painful lesson to learn. :suicide:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Fast question -- are status effects in this game as totally useless on bosses as in every other final fantasy game ever? I feel like it's been drilled into my head to never ever try to use status spells on bosses since you'll waste a turn (or three) trying to get it to land only for the boss to shake it off a turn later (Etrian Odyssey was really nice for this, actually).

Poison in particular seems like something that is always the awkward middle child of not dealing enough damage to make it useful for regular encounters (doubly so when you can Brave 4 times and drop a bomb on enemies) and never actually landing on bosses.

Haven't played the full game yet though -- really looking forwards to the US release!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Fast question -- are status effects in this game as totally useless on bosses as in every other final fantasy game ever? I feel like it's been drilled into my head to never ever try to use status spells on bosses since you'll waste a turn (or three) trying to get it to land only for the boss to shake it off a turn later (Etrian Odyssey was really nice for this, actually).

Poison in particular seems like something that is always the awkward middle child of not dealing enough damage to make it useful for regular encounters (doubly so when you can Brave 4 times and drop a bomb on enemies) and never actually landing on bosses.

Most enemies have quite a bit of HP, and considering you actually have four turns at once to get them to stick, some can be worth it. Stop saved me during a few bossfights when the boss summons mooks, Poison or Sleep are THE best way to go through random encounters (unless the enemy is immune to poison, sleep, Dark elemental damage or instant death, which is fairly rare) in the mid to lategame (throughout the game, poison does 10% damage to normal enemies, 1% to bosses), and stat buffs and debuffs are awesome and you should definitely use those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

You should stop this because status effects are actually really powerful in most JRPGs, including Final Fantasy games.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think status effects are less likely to stick to a boss, at 30% instead of 75%, but the message for "you missed" is different from "immune." So if you got the "miss" message, you can keep trying. I know that Silencing the Melusine in the demo makes her a complete joke.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Status effects, particularly Poison, are awesome in this game.
It can be the difference between losing some bosses or breaking all of them over your knee... Unless they manage to land it on you while you wreck everything.

Assuming you choose to use the job that takes advantage of it.

As ImpAtom says though, status effects are very good in lots of JRPGs, it's a case by case thing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Absolutely, thanks for replying! I know in EO3 and EO4 they were brick poo poo wreckers that not only scaled but were also essential to late game fights but I honestly haven't played a FF game since forever so I wasn't sure what to expect.

MechaCrash posted:

I think status effects are less likely to stick to a boss, at 30% instead of 75%, but the message for "you missed" is different from "immune." So if you got the "miss" message, you can keep trying. I know that Silencing the Melusine in the demo makes her a complete joke.

This is also good to know. I actually remember seeing "RESIST" pop up over someone when someone tried using a party-wide status spell in the demo but never connected that to the difference between immunity and the effect not landing.

feralpurple
Mar 12, 2013
My FC is 1005-9238-5083.

Just a stateside goon looking to add people when we get the full version of the game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Game comes out in what, 3 weeks for America? Should set up a Google doc or something for US FCs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apperantly the 4HoL superboss Nemeses are getting a rerun with switched around levels. Good old Beelzebub and Asmodeus are getting bumped to 99, whereas Belphegor (who I never beat, loving elemental weaknesses) is getting reduced to 20.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Terper posted:

Apperantly the 4HoL superboss Nemeses are getting a rerun with switched around levels. Good old Beelzebub and Asmodeus are getting bumped to 99, whereas Belphegor (who I never beat, loving elemental weaknesses) is getting reduced to 20.

Probably also so that you can learn the -ja Genomes if you missed out the first time.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Probably also so that you can learn the -ja Genomes if you missed out the first time.

How many are there? I have four...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

IntelligibleChoir posted:

How many are there? I have four...

That's as many as I know about, though I wouldn't put it past Square Enix to have one of the revamped Nemesis battles feature Quaja/Quakja/whatever just so we can have -ja genomes of every element except the two "rare" ones.

Upsetcat
Aug 10, 2012
I have added everyone up to and including page 9

my FC is 3840-5986-7821

please add me back just started playing yesterday I want more workers for my village

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus Christ, I've been playing the game on hard and now, in chapter 4, the game is getting really hard. Enemies do a poo poo ton of damage and equiping the newest gear and the best shields don't take the edge of it. I'm lv 60, and it's time to grind again. Sheesh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is the full game as reliant on rebuilding the town as the demo is? The difference between store gear and town gear makes quite a difference.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Would people recommend playing through the game on hard first time? I'm likely to grind a bit too much anyway, so making the game justify my time spent somewhat would be nice.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Eponymous posted:

Would people recommend playing through the game on hard first time? I'm likely to grind a bit too much anyway, so making the game justify my time spent somewhat would be nice.

In my opinion, no. The latter chapters get grindy enough as it is and the game does cap out pretty quickly at Level 99. Giving the enemys double the HP and the bosses like triple or quadruple the amounts seems like a bad idea.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Is the full game as reliant on rebuilding the town as the demo is? The difference between store gear and town gear makes quite a difference.

In the full game you get 3-5 free villagers per day ignoring streetpass. You'll have the village completed within a week if you check it regularly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eponymous posted:

Only if you like hard games. Hard is genuinely hard.
If you just think you're going to grind, just play normal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eponymous posted:

I thought I was overleveled for the true final bosses, so I switched to Hard.

I wasn't overleveled. :gonk: Hard is actually hard, and unless you're sure you know what you're doing, you're gonna have a tough time. That doesn't mean it's not fair, though. The game stays challenging but fair throughout. If you want a challenge, then sure, but Normal is perfectly fine.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

I thought I was overleveled for the true final bosses, so I switched to Hard.

I wasn't overleveled. :gonk: Hard is actually hard, and unless you're sure you know what you're doing, you're gonna have a tough time. That doesn't mean it's not fair, though. The game stays challenging but fair throughout. If you want a challenge, then sure, but Normal is perfectly fine.

No poo poo. Difficulty level for this game is actually rather fair, and even if you level all the way up to 99, there's bosses that are balanced just for that.

In other news, it appears that unranked armor like robes and hats are actually treated as having an A-Rank (1.8 P.Def increase) for all classes for the purpose of increasing P.Def. So if you wonder why low rank armor seem to give less than what a robe with lesser defense does, this is the answer to that question.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches
I'm in the process of going through the whole thread and friendcoding everyone- anyone who's posted theirs so far, mine is 2466-2747-3663.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really got sick of the game in the end. If you're like me and get bored with it just make everyone a ninja, give them valkyrie skills and make sure you have hasten world from the time mage on one of your characters. High jump with everyone, press auto battle and you win the game.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Added everyone on this page, almost have every job at 14 on every character because I'm a tedious person.

5386-7996-9402

Btw adding friends doesn't get you more villagers, only net friend invites (each day) and unique streetpasses do.

^^^^
Also FrickenMoron is the current record holder for largest Summon damage - 285,374. I could only make it up to 257,661 but I can see how one would go bigger.

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 20, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
999999 here.

0619-3879-2558

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Is there anything worth stealing in the final final final chapter of the game? I just: kicked the arse of the group of four in the Time Mage town and forgot to thoroughly steal everything

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
No, all you can get out of the team battles in the final chapter are Elixirs and Turbo Ethers, all the rare equipment you might want some extra copies of are stolen from the chapter 7 fights.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

No, all you can get out of the team battles in the final chapter are Elixirs and Turbo Ethers, all the rare equipment you might want some extra copies of are stolen from the chapter 7 fights.

Ah, that's good, I can finally switch out my thief robot.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Does anyone know if this game got a really tiny print run in Europe? Loads of places seem to be sold out of it, even online retailers. I really want to pick it up next week, but it looks like I might not be able to.
My usual store didn't have any copies left. Some stores still list it as being in stock, but I doubt the original print was very large.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Foxhound posted:

My usual store didn't have any copies left. Some stores still list it as being in stock, but I doubt the original print was very large.
Amazon have it back in stock now, so local places will probably be getting more copies in.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Amazon just emailed me saying my standard copy and limited edition of Bravely Default won't be shipped on Feburary 7th and would email me when they get in more. Gamestop won't let me pre-order the limited edition. Are other retail stores going to stock this game? I would rather not buy a regular copy from Gamestop if possible. US version here.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you just want the game buy it digitally. Other than that, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Ephraim posted:

Amazon just emailed me saying my standard copy and limited edition of Bravely Default won't be shipped on Feburary 7th and would email me when they get in more. Gamestop won't let me pre-order the limited edition. Are other retail stores going to stock this game? I would rather not buy a regular copy from Gamestop if possible. US version here.

If it's anything like the PAL release, the Limited Edition's probably gone now. Amazon might manage to get them back in-stock though, so don't cancel that or anything.

• Locked thread