Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, there were so many fantastic moments in this episode, from ninja Nils through Sei channelling Uso to Fellini wrapping the Fenice's fist in its beam cape to smack the crap out of the Star Build Strike. I'm starting to wonder if calling this show this generation's G Gundam might not be too hideously presumptuous.

On future speculation, it seems that this episode was where the Star Build officially became not good enough. It's heavily reliant on one gimmick that everyone knows about now, and if you counter that, it's merely a decent suit going up against amazing (ahem) competition. Be interesting to see what Sei comes up with next - maybe his dad will give him some inspiration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh man so many references this episode. Raman Kharn, and all the other names in the list made me laugh, I admit.

And once again the battle was amazing.

Is there a famous Alejandro in Gundam? Wasn't it Alejandro Corner in 00? I think Cola comes from Patrick Colasar. Rosemarie could come from Kamillie's sister's various names and MAAARIE from 00, Graham is pretty obvious.

Nils picked a really good time to be hanging from the side of that building.

How many points do you get for winning when it's 2 for a draw? That sounds crazy.

From the preview it looks like Sei's dad isn't dead or a deadbeat. I guess that's his Beginning Gundam, which seems quite appropriate. Thought for a moment Sei might inherit a new suit from him to replace the knackered Build Strike, but that would mess up the ending with Fellini.

Haha holy poo poo someone made the crazy MA from the end of 00 S1.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there a famous Alejandro in Gundam? Wasn't it Alejandro Corner in 00? I think Cola comes from Patrick Colasar. Rosemarie could come from Kamillie's sister's various names and MAAARIE from 00, Graham is pretty obvious.

Nils picked a really good time to be hanging from the side of that building.

How many points do you get for winning when it's 2 for a draw? That sounds crazy.

From the preview it looks like Sei's dad isn't dead or a deadbeat. I guess that's his Beginning Gundam, which seems quite appropriate. Thought for a moment Sei might inherit a new suit from him to replace the knackered Build Strike, but that would mess up the ending with Fellini.

Haha holy poo poo someone made the crazy MA from the end of 00 S1.

They showed us in this episode that a win gets you four points. Two points each for a draw seems logical.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man that was an insane fight. It has the same strengths that the original Build Strike vs Zaku amazing fight had. Tons of emotion and absolutely no holding back because poo poo we can always fix or make new plastic robots later.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm starting to wonder if calling this show this generation's G Gundam might not be too hideously presumptuous.

As long as it keeps the quality of writing up and ends at least decently well I don't think it is to be honest. It won't say as much about war or have as much character growth as Domon showed, or at least, hasn't yet, so it's not as good in that way, but it's so fun and well put together so far that I don't really care at least.

Darth Walrus posted:

On future speculation, it seems that this episode was where the Star Build officially became not good enough. It's heavily reliant on one gimmick that everyone knows about now, and if you counter that, it's merely a decent suit going up against amazing (ahem) competition. Be interesting to see what Sei comes up with next - maybe his dad will give him some inspiration?

Well the episode preview showed Reiji saying he meets a weird guy in town and episode previews said that Sei's dad helps Reiji build his first model so just like China inspired Sei to ignore canon Reiji and indirectly Sei's dad may end up giving him some new ideas. I'm almost more interested to see what Fellini will do with his busted Wing Fenice. Will he upgrade it to a Wing Zero, include plavsky hax since they're all the new rage, learn something from Sei since he's building with him or keep the Wing Fenice and update it's appearance in some appropriate manner. I did love the fact that Fellini and Sei spent the next day repairing the gunpla together while Reiji was sitting around snacking. Great way to close out the episode.

The fact that the episode ended in a draw is surprising to me though. Honestly hadn't considered it, but delighted that Fellini gets to remain so good a challenge for Reiji. It does make me wonder about the remaining fight order for Sei/Reiji though. There'll be 3 fights presuming they go all the way to the finals, which I had assumed would be Luang Dallara, Mao Yasaka and then Meijin Kawaguchi/Yuuki since they still have personal rivalries with all three of them. This kind of throws doubt on that though, since the draw result means they may end up facing him instead of, I assume Luang. The same is true of him as well though, since they never faced him in a straight match. I wonder will they leave things unsettled with one of them? Or maybe have a 2v2 match at some point? Should be interesting regardless.

It also makes me hopeful that the Nils v Fellini match that will probably happen since Nils beat Fellini's friend Carlos might not end in a simple stomp for Nils, but instead be a drawn out slugfest that destroys both machines as well. Man I love the fights in this show. If only they writers and animators could have as much freedom in doing a normal Gundam show, though I realize it's also a budgetary constraint on the part of the animators since they're drawing only two suits instead of dozens for the main fights.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm absolutely delighted with the quality of the fights in this show.

My favorite part of the writing is that it treats its characters like they actually have brains. Sure, Sei came up with some wacky new poo poo for the Star Build Strike, but he's up against the best in the world. They can understand what kind of crazy poo poo the Star Build is doing by applying what they know and thinking about it instead of standard anime "Wh..WHAT IS THAT LIGHT NANIIIIII *explodes*" like you get in a lot of robot shows. Fellini's tactics against the Star Build were really fun to watch because of how clever they were, and I really liked how when they activated RG mode no one flipped their poo poo in stupefied wonder and it wasn't an auto-win button.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wonder if Sei's going to go further beyond the canon fuckery when he figures out "hey the shield seems to be the weak point of the system since I need someone to shoot at it and If it breaks I'm sort of hosed. I need to get particles from somewhere else...wait...everything is made of particles in here". Then proceed to create a new system that involves breaking apart the scenery to suck in plavisky particles.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Quincy Build Strike? Will it fire off a massive satellite bow?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tsob posted:

Quincy Build Strike? Will it fire off a massive satellite bow?

If the effect looks like when Ishida fought the mad scientist dude (if you can't tell I've long stopped giving a poo poo about Bleach) then I am all for that, and robots with bows are cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

As long as it keeps the quality of writing up and ends at least decently well I don't think it is to be honest. It won't say as much about war or have as much character growth as Domon showed, or at least, hasn't yet, so it's not as good in that way, but it's so fun and well put together so far that I don't really care at least.

Well the episode preview showed Reiji saying he meets a weird guy in town and episode previews said that Sei's dad helps Reiji build his first model so just like China inspired Sei to ignore canon Reiji and indirectly Sei's dad may end up giving him some new ideas. I'm almost more interested to see what Fellini will do with his busted Wing Fenice. Will he upgrade it to a Wing Zero, include plavsky hax since they're all the new rage, learn something from Sei since he's building with him or keep the Wing Fenice and update it's appearance in some appropriate manner. I did love the fact that Fellini and Sei spent the next day repairing the gunpla together while Reiji was sitting around snacking. Great way to close out the episode.

The fact that the episode ended in a draw is surprising to me though. Honestly hadn't considered it, but delighted that Fellini gets to remain so good a challenge for Reiji. It does make me wonder about the remaining fight order for Sei/Reiji though. There'll be 3 fights presuming they go all the way to the finals, which I had assumed would be Luang Dallara, Mao Yasaka and then Meijin Kawaguchi/Yuuki since they still have personal rivalries with all three of them. This kind of throws doubt on that though, since the draw result means they may end up facing him instead of, I assume Luang. The same is true of him as well though, since they never faced him in a straight match. I wonder will they leave things unsettled with one of them? Or maybe have a 2v2 match at some point? Should be interesting regardless.

It also makes me hopeful that the Nils v Fellini match that will probably happen since Nils beat Fellini's friend Carlos might not end in a simple stomp for Nils, but instead be a drawn out slugfest that destroys both machines as well. Man I love the fights in this show. If only they writers and animators could have as much freedom in doing a normal Gundam show, though I realize it's also a budgetary constraint on the part of the animators since they're drawing only two suits instead of dozens for the main fights.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by how much screentime and prominence Luang is getting. I mean, I don't object to it, because he's a fun, chill dude and it woud be nice to see what more the Abigorbine has under the hood, but I expected he'd be a significantly more minor character than he is.

On the topic of fights we're looking forward to, I must admit that I'm desperately jonesing for that Aila throwdown. It would be great to see the Papillon finally strut its stuff in a proper fight, and the brief glimpse we get in the OP suggests that that's exactly what we'll get. Not only that, but her arc seems to point to her learning from Sei and Reiji that Gunpla can be fun, and it's a good rule of thumb in this show that when the characters are having fun in a fight, the audience is, too.

I mean, yeah, the rematch between Tatsuya and our heroes is going to be cool, but it's sort of a given that it's going to be cool. Hard to really anticipate what you know you're going to get.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The funniest problem I see is them having problems topping themselves with fight choreography. They've built up several rivals for Sei and Reiji and both of the major rival battles(Yuuki's Zaku and now Fellini) have basically resulted in mutual assured destruction. It's going to start losing its impact if every time Sei and Reiji fight an equal they blow up their own Gunpla in the process. :v:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 20, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man that episode was so loving good. Just, drat it was good. Hilarious comedy (GUNPLA MAFIA, NINJA NILS, Fellini not recognizing Mihoshi, Meijin just randomly working out)), great cameos (was that Psycho Gundam painted to look like the SRX, or was it just me?), and just an amazing battle.

I'm wondering if this is the end of the Star Build Strike though. Full Package lasted only 4 episodes, and with this Star Build has hit 5. We've got 11 episodes to go, which is more than enough time for a final upgrade.

EDIT: Looking at it again, that Psycho's color scheme is more traditional Super Robot than SRX. Maybe Daitarn 3? Or Zambot?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 20, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So it's confirmed to be a 20-ish episode count?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We got our OP shift 13 episodes in, the OST coming out in March isn't marked as "disc 1", and at the rate this show is going it could easily wrap up by 26.

Unless Bandai decides to give it a second season, but honestly you can only make gunpla fighting exciting for so long. The writers would have to throw in some sort of new twist, and that could potentially ruin the show.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BlitzBlast posted:

great cameos (was that Psycho Gundam painted to look like the SRX, or was it just me?)

Looks more like Zambot to me.

Overall that episode was amazing. I especially like Ral commenting on Sei's Gundam canon knowledge, which he uses to pull Amuro's wire trick from CCA.

I hope we see Wing Fenice again. Maybe he'll add in some Wing Zero parts or more completely custom parts to repair it. :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hope we see Wing Fenice again. Maybe he'll add in some Wing Zero parts or more completely custom parts to repair it. :allears:

He's already working on it again by the end of the episode and has to appear again regardless since he's in to the finals, so yea, we'll see it again at some point. We'll probably even see him win at least one more match with his new gunpla, even if it's only a brief fight, since there's 4 rounds to go yet.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The quality of the fights in this show are pretty drat incredible. They fight smart and absolutely no holds barred. It's such a 180 from age, where the fights were repetitive boring and poorly choreographed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This episode was 100% great. From Meijin teaching Nils about being a REAL fighter to Fellini's emotional flashback speech.

The most worrying part however is that preview. Dad seems to have brought home 2 of the '8 Devils of Gunpla' (the silhouetted assumedly Villainous Gundams behind the main antagonist in the OP). Not sure if I trust dear old dad.

Speaking OF those units in the OP. For those not well versed in Gundam here's an image showing off what the base units for those are. The Sazabi (The Completely Red one on row 2) is something Called Miss Sazabi and it was teased alongside the Exia Dark Matter that's directly behind the Chairman.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This episode was 100% great. From Meijin teaching Nils about being a REAL fighter to Fellini's emotional flashback speech.

The most worrying part however is that preview. Dad seems to have brought home 2 of the '8 Devils of Gunpla' (the silhouetted assumedly Villainous Gundams behind the main antagonist in the OP). Not sure if I trust dear old dad.

Speaking OF those units in the OP. For those not well versed in Gundam here's an image showing off what the base units for those are. The Sazabi (The Completely Red one on row 2) is something Called Miss Sazabi and it was teased alongside the Exia Dark Matter that's directly behind the Chairman.

Miss Sazabi? Sounds like a machine for China. Please let it be a machine for China.

I mean, it's more likely to be for the chairman's secretary, but...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The interesting thing is how few of those 8 seem to be customized (from the silhouette) except for the Sazabi. Sazabi is a fatty of a mobile suit, yet that "Miss Sazabi" is pretty slim. The only other one that seems to be customized is the Zeong's legs, which look vaguely like those of the Baund Doc. The Exia might be customized too, but I'm not too familiar with its generation.

I wonder if that Zeong is Mr. C(lamp)'s?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Not mine but this seems pretty plausible, maybe far-sought and all but hey.

quote:

Totally unrelated to below, I think I finally understand what's up with Yuuki's kits and the "Amazing". Amazing in katakana's read as "Ameijingu" (アメイジング), which also has the characters for "Meijin" (アメイジング, which in the series is spelled in katakana as well, instead of Kanji) in it. So it was actually very cleaver foreshadowing, I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe this is reaching a bit, but rewatching the fight (again), I just noticed that Fellini has the same "split at the ends" eyebrows style as several Gundam Wing characters. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The interesting thing is how few of those 8 seem to be customized (from the silhouette) except for the Sazabi. Sazabi is a fatty of a mobile suit, yet that "Miss Sazabi" is pretty slim. The only other one that seems to be customized is the Zeong's legs, which look vaguely like those of the Baund Doc. The Exia might be customized too, but I'm not too familiar with its generation.

I wonder if that Zeong is Mr. C(lamp)'s?

The non silhouetted pictures are just stock images of the mobile suit they are based off, not the final image. This is a silhouette of what the Miss Sazabi is supposed to look like, which is a merger of the extremely feminine Nobel Gundam with the fat rear end Sazabi.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caros posted:

The non silhouetted pictures are just stock images of the mobile suit they are based off, not the final image. This is a silhouette of what the Miss Sazabi is supposed to look like, which is a merger of the extremely feminine Nobel Gundam with the fat rear end Sazabi.

Which HOPEFULLY means we'll get to see a combination of the Berserk System AND a Psycho Frame.

Personally I want to see what Gimmick/Kit bashes that Master Gundam has. It's gotta be crazy.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Finally, a good episode. Gonna be interesting who they fight in the tournament proper, Fellini will probably get worfed by one of their opponents but that still leaves five pretty plausible candidates for FOUR matches

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 20, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Four matches, isn't it? 16 participant elimination tournament.

16 -Fight1-> 8 -Fight2-> 4 -Fight3-> 2 -Fight4> 1

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I can either admit I'm an idiot, or pretend like I thought it was an eight man all along.

So with 4, Luang, Mao, Aila, Meijin seems most likely to me. Of course that leaves Nils and the twins dangling

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm expecting a group battle or two. We're definitely set for a team-up against some greater menace at some point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RentACop posted:

I can either admit I'm an idiot, or pretend like I thought it was an eight man all along.

So with 4, Luang, Mao, Aila, Meijin seems most likely to me. Of course that leaves Nils and the twins dangling
Except, Mao vs Sei/Reiji is going be episode 17, according to leaked spoilers for future episodes.

As for today's episode, I went into this thinking that Yuuichi Nakamura would engage full-throttle ham during the fight. I was not expecting a heartfelt glimpse into the deep bond he has with Wing Fenice. Definitely a good surprise.

Also, the cameos continue. Gyunei got rocked by Aila, and then Garma and (some) of the Zabi family cameoed in the bar.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm expecting a group battle or two. We're definitely set for a team-up against some greater menace at some point.

That'll be for when the tournament brakes down and the dark secret of the PPSE's Chairman and the Particles comes to like. He'll fight them with his 8 evil gundams. Allan and Yuuki team up to restore honor to PPSE and join the rest of our heroes in a fight for the very soul of Gunpla Battles.

And if this show is worth anything Sazaki shows up in the Ultimate Gyan and helps say the day.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 20, 2014

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
This is apparently official concept art:

If China's next Gunpla is a Zakrello I will seriously flip my poo poo :allears:

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe this is reaching a bit, but rewatching the fight (again), I just noticed that Fellini has the same "split at the ends" eyebrows style as several Gundam Wing characters. :v:

Yep and Gundam Wing characters are named after Italian numbers. Uno, due, trei, quattro... Which is why he's Italian.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Taser Gator posted:

Yep and Gundam Wing characters are named after Italian numbers. Uno, due, trei, quattro... Which is why he's Italian.

He's Italian because they wanted him to be; the numbers are in several languages (and none of the characters using those numbers are named from Italian). In order of just those four, it's French, Latin, French (Trowa, the one that looks more like trei is also French, but means 13), and French again. Here's a list including a whole mess of characters I forgot about.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think he's Italian because Wing was big in Italy. Hence why his buddy and rival Carlos is an American who is also big in to Wing and fought using a Tallgeese, the early opponent of the Wing in Wing.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

He's Italian because they wanted him to be; the numbers are in several languages (and none of the characters using those numbers are named from Italian). In order of just those four, it's French, Latin, French (Trowa, the one that looks more like trei is also French, but means 13), and French again. Here's a list including a whole mess of characters I forgot about.

Italy is where most of those languages originated from.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
So much feels in this episode, especially with Fellini talking to Fenice and their backstory

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was going to joke about the guy last episode being a gunpla hitman from the gunpla mafia, but then the show went and Poe's Lawed me.

EDIT: I love the scene at the end with Sei and Fellini bonding as they rebuild their suits. :3:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, when this show goes all-in on fights, it goes all-in on fights.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Alright Reiji there's this uh part in Char's Counterattack when Amuro hides around a corner- no he's the main character of Mobile Suit Gundam, but he didn't do as much in Zeta Gundam, the sequel, the main character of that was Kamille, but no, listen-- so Char comes around the corner, he's the bad guy yeah, so Amuro's got this string, I don't know it must've been from his space suit, and he pulls it and it shoots a rocket at Char because he set up the shot. No, we're Amuro right now. No, Fellini's Char, not Kamille. Okay right. You got all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

muike posted:

Alright Reiji there's this uh part in Char's Counterattack when Amuro hides around a corner- no he's the main character of Mobile Suit Gundam, but he didn't do as much in Zeta Gundam, the sequel, the main character of that was Kamille, but no, listen-- so Char comes around the corner, he's the bad guy yeah, so Amuro's got this string, I don't know it must've been from his space suit, and he pulls it and it shoots a rocket at Char because he set up the shot. No, we're Amuro right now. No, Fellini's Char, not Kamille. Okay right. You got all that?

I love this so much.

"So Fellini has been building Gunpla since Sei was a fetus, has made finals in World Tournaments before, is the one who trained Reiji in how to be a fighter, and knows exactly how to counteract the Star Build Strike's primary gimmick. I think Sei and Reiji are boned."

"Naw, it's cool, Sei has watched a *lot* of anime."

• Locked thread