Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cletepurcel posted:

Anyway, not to make light of alcoholism or anything but could someone really fall off the wagon because of a tiny glass of communion wine?
Yes. It's not so much the amount but the slippery slope of using it to rationalise their ability to drink again. I mean, obviously, they can handle such a tiny glass at a specific time, so maybe they can handle a bigger glass - come to think of it, maybe it doesn't have to be specifically at communion? Eventually they're back to drinking entire bottles again, because they're alcoholics and they're actually just trying to trick themselves by inches back into getting drunk all the time.

My friend has a huge issue with alcohol and I've seen him quit several times, and every time it starts again it's some small drink that he allows himself because he's "beaten" it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Long story short, depends on how badly alcoholic you were, but the long-term screwing up of your brain chemistry can leave you really sensitive to even tiny amounts.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Elysiume posted:

What? And I don't think they have chips for pedophilia. Or call it sobriety.

Seriously, what. It's very clearly some sort of drug, and I would assume alcohol even though sobriety is for drugs in general.
"Chip" would tend to indicate AA, but some people with addiction problems to other drugs wind up in AA anyways. Sometimes people quit their DOC and discover they go back to it when they get drunk so they stop that too, or they find that they just have a problem with alcohol after all as well.

As far as Communion, it depends. People have gone into relapses on far less.

F Minus has a great idea.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus has a great idea.

It's been done.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Lio owes Mike Nesmith money.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Some Guy TT posted:

No Asaekkiga today. I decided this was more important-

Hyeh-Ran Meets The Terminator

I get the sneaking suspicion that I now look like an old guy trying to explain the fancy world of computer tubes.

Admittedly, I COULD have googled "pharming" after seeing that strip in Korean, but that would have given me a context for not-Arnie holding a giant syringe. Definitely not where I thought that strip was going.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elysiume posted:

What? And I don't think they have chips for pedophilia. Or call it sobriety.

I would assume alcohol even though sobriety is for drugs in general.

The fact that he says "I've been clean" suggests drugs to me rather than alcohol, but maybe I'm reading too much into a single word.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's Winter Follies

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm curious, is there any reason you don't post Zero Gravity by Roger Dahl? It's from the Japan Times too, but for whatever reason they decided to keep him on while they let Muranaka go. Maybe it's because he gives them editorials in addition to normal comics?
Yeah, I don't post Zero G because I don't care for it. The premise is similar (a non-Japanese perspective on life in Japan) but the humor often seems a bit snide or mean-spirited. (That, and there are a fair number of Some Gizmo or forced namecheck jokes that just don't appeal to me.) Others might feel differently, so I wouldn't kvetch about it if somebody else wanted to post it, but for me, I dislike it often enough that it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Some examples so people can make up their own minds:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

They're a peaceful race... That planned to conquer the planet. Also somehow they saw all this violence and noise yet didn't know who ruled the planet. Also one went and tried to eat a woman's dog. And they have guns.

Maybe it's just because I'm sick of moralizing "humans are terrible" messages and that looks like where this is going, but this is a disappointing turn. Especially since it doesn't even fit what we've seen already. Not that I'm going to stop reading, mind. Still better than a lot of other comics.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a different take on it. They thought they were only going to be up against little french poodles but then they saw how strong our military might was so they decided to find a place where they won't face any opposition.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Also I'm voting for Zero G, I like it.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Boyce must've had his dosage adjusted, as, this actually sort of makes sense. It's lucid, I guess, but not really funny.

Jane's World

What? Who the gently caress's Alexa?

Non Sequitur

:ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils is still stuck on the 18th.

Kliban

Why the ants? :psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/20/2003

Yeah, you grumpy old bat.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Whatever.

Nemi

First world Goth problems, I guess. :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
February 22 & 23, 1918

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

don Jaime posted:

Out of respect for Gary Larson's personal wishes, I will never again post this on the Internet.

Does Larson just really hate Leo or something?

Der Shovel posted:

Or in general. She honestly seems a bit nuts at times and insanely high strung the rest of the time. Chill out, Nina. You'll be happier.

I honestly can't tell if she's being 100% serious, or its a joke.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I see what you mean by Zero-G being a little mean spirited, but it's still pretty entertaining. I say post it!

Also... Moomin!! :neckbeard:

Oh boy, Cul-de-sac is going down the rabbit hole, this is going to end with Petey chewing both arms off.

The Creeps

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

scarycave posted:

I honestly can't tell if she's being 100% serious, or its a joke.

I dunno, but it happens with every god drat comic strip and they have these little personal touches which make them sound like something that happened to her personally and made her so angry she had to make comics about it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

scarycave posted:

Does Larson just really hate Leo or something?
No, see, the joke is that the Lio strip being posted borrows a character design from Gary Larson, who has requested that his comics never be posted on the internet. don Jaime is referencing this fact when saying he'll never post Lio again, while also hopefully no longer posting Lio since it's a bad comic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If Gary Larson's insane aversion to the internet leads to less Lio then I guess that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 23, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean gives us mockery from SOME GIZMO.

Popeye

And Swee'pea accidentally beheads himself with the follow-through. Next episode: Brutus the Social Services Worker!

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 23, 1956)

Out Our Way gives us maximum cowboy action! You might have to read the first one aloud. Slowly. (April 14-15, 1924)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I haven't done this in over a decade but I'd be lying if I said I never got the urge to do it again. So yeah, voting guy thing.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I actually really enjoy Lio; it's not the greatest comic, but it's charming and I like the line work of the illustrator.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

What? Who the gently caress's Alexa?

When Jane's World is on a roll it's really good but the rest of the time... :psyduck: I have a harder time with the characters than Doonesbury and Cancerbean combined. At least in those strips every character can't be described as "an attractive woman who has dated every other member of the cast"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My Hero Comix.

Pooch Café

Wait, now the can't can't talk? And Hudson understands them anyway? This comic needs to get a grip on its own premise.

Ballard Street

His nose looks like it came off of a turn-of-the-century racist caricature instead of a urology chart, and that might even be a visible deltoid on his left arm. Russel is easily the most handsome man on Ballard Street.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Stultus Maximus posted:

When Jane's World is on a roll it's really good but the rest of the time... :psyduck: I have a harder time with the characters than Doonesbury and Cancerbean combined. At least in those strips every character can't be described as "an attractive woman who has dated every other member of the cast"

Apparently, the confusion isn't just limited to the denizens of the CMT XV, here's a screenshot of some of the comments on GoComics:

E: CMT, not CMC, CMT!

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 20, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (December 3, 1993)

Nina must be a joy during the Holidays.

I'm getting increasingly confused as to how Paley made something as good as Sita Sings the Blues when the strip is this shallow and annoying.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

To me, this is one of Steve's iconic moments.

Calvin And Hobbes

Bliss is another of those single-panel comics, in the same vein as Pardon My Planet and dozens of others.

Bo Nanas has a monkey! You might think, 'Wait, that's a chimp or some other classification of primate', but nope! It's a monkey!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Who is _____" is my usual reaction to Jane's World, dunno what the fuss is about. What's worse is the line about "too quiet in the other room" when they're sitting like ten steps away in plain view.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Johnny Walker posted:

"Chip" would tend to indicate AA, but some people with addiction problems to other drugs wind up in AA anyways. Sometimes people quit their DOC and discover they go back to it when they get drunk so they stop that too, or they find that they just have a problem with alcohol after all as well.

As far as Communion, it depends. People have gone into relapses on far less.

I've known a few people in NA and they also had chips. Saying "clean" probably means Dag was on drugs. :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Allen Wren posted:

Since when does anyone want to be easily found on a search engine?

Eh, I'm an artist and musician, and I changed the spelling of my name to make it a bit more Google-able. That's a good marketing move for that profession, though; can't think why an IT drone would need to.

As long as I'm grousing about this terrible comic: I hate hate hate the way Dethany's drawn and portrayed. Rikki Mortis from the recent Dick Tracy story was about 1000% more convincing, attractive, and likeable as a perky goth chick. The way Dethany's drawn always reminds me of this scene from Venture Bros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAjNjAybKc

That thing is like a pumpkin.

Edit: speaking of Rikki, how did she make out in that storyline? Blackjack saved Tracy & his family, Kadaver went into the cement pond... I can't recall what happened to her, though.

\/\/\/ Thanks! Yes, Kadaver sent her off to "secure the murder mansion". Godspeed, Rikki, I hope we see you again!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 20, 2014

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Eh, I'm an artist and musician, and I changed the spelling of my name to make it a bit more Google-able. That's a good marketing move for that profession, though; can't think why an IT drone would need to.

As long as I'm grousing about this terrible comic: I hate hate hate the way Dethany's drawn and portrayed. Rikki Mortis from the recent Dick Tracy story was about 1000% more convincing, attractive, and likeable as a perky goth chick. The way Dethany's drawn always reminds me of this scene from Venture Bros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAjNjAybKc

That thing is like a pumpkin.

Edit: speaking of Rikki, how did she make out in that storyline? Blackjack saved Tracy & his family, Kadaver went into the cement pond... I can't recall what happened to her, though.

Kadaver had her escape right before Tracy made it into the room.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Willie is certainly a bundle of surprises at times. We're moving into the final part of the story so prepare for action!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm getting increasingly confused as to how Paley made something as good as Sita Sings the Blues when the strip is this shallow and annoying.

That Nina's Adventures is from 1993. Sita Sings the Blues was released in 2008. That was 15 years Paley had to grow as a person. I don't think it's that surprising she changed substantially in that time period.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (November 15-16, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (October 8, 1994)

Lucky Cow (March 15-17, 2004)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'll state again that Nina's Adventures are really good, and anyone with doubts about the humourousness of its tone seems to me to be so tone-deaf that I question their basic literacy. Also Momma owns.

Berger & Wyse

It's funny how some animals we value as pets and some we classify as food-stuffs.

Stephen Collins

Tom Gauld

I'm glad Gauld's back.

Rarebit Fiend

It's worthwhile stating that this sort of stuff would have blown people's minds.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'll state again that Nina's Adventures are really good, and anyone with doubts about the humourousness of its tone seems to me to be so tone-deaf that I question their basic literacy. Also Momma owns.

Yeah, I don't mean to criticize it when I said she had 15 years to grow. I'm enjoying the comic, but some of the stuff like the Christmas one do come off as a bit whiny in tone. I imagine that wasn't really her intention, though, and it was just supposed to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also Momma owns.

Get hosed.

• Locked thread