Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
I know Garth Turner loves to point out this sort of thing, but a lot of those claims, especially the ones that guarantee that the condo will have increased to a certain value by a certain time, would put you behind bars if they were about stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 4, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The paste eaters at time magazine are now calling 'dis a bubble.

http://business.time.com/2014/01/17/canada-has-its-own-housing-bubble-and-its-about-to-burst/

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

7.5% of the Canadian workforce is in the construction industry, while 7% of the Canadian economy is based on residential construction

:pwn:

Sounds healthy, this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sounds healthy, this.

Combine this with Canadian unemployment is creeping up over time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sounds healthy, this.

Combine that with a new prevailing attitude that a liberal arts education is worthless and you now got an avalanche of what I believe economists call 'labour skills mismatch'.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Is it likely that all this press attention will trigger the start of the panic sell-off? Or will that wait until interest rates increase?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is it likely that all this press attention will trigger the start of the panic sell-off? Or will that wait until interest rates increase?

I doubt it. Based on sales data, it seems like most buyers haven't gotten the message yet.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

" The latest Canadian jobs report was dismal, as its economy shed 45,000 jobs in December, and the unemployment rate rose from 6.9% to 7.2%"

A bit of an aside, but how can the Conservative government claim it is doing right by the economy when a figure like this is hanging over their heads?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think the consensus is that end of year employment figures are kinda funny. I'm not sure why but the more trusted numbers are the revisions that come out later in the year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://globalnews.ca/news/1091657/gallery-west-vancouver-waterfront-home-destroyed-by-fire/

quote:

Model Ferrari blamed in fire that destroyed waterfront mansion in Lions Bay

By Christine Tam Global News

more
Firefighters battled a blaze at a house near Lions Bay for several hours, but the home was destroyed. Shane MacKichan / Global News
Firefighters battled a blaze at a house near Lions Bay for several hours, but the home was destroyed. Shane MacKichan / Global News
Shane MacKichan / Global News
Fire crews have determined a model Ferrari that was being charged sparked a blaze that destroyed a waterfront home near Lions Bay late Friday night.

A fireboat from Vancouver had to be called in to assist in fighting the blaze due to a lack of hydrants in the Strachan Point area where the home is located.

The flames fully engulfed the home and a garage with two cars parked inside.

Lions Bay Fire Rescue chief Andrew Oliver said the person renting the mansion was charging the battery of a model Ferrari in the garage when a blaze broke out.

GALLERY: Waterfront home destroyed by fire

IMG_2625xs
IMG_2589s
No one was injured in the fire, but the home was destroyed.

Crews were called out again Sunday morning after the remaining structure flared up.

Strachan Point residents pay no municipal taxes, which means they have to pay for emergency services if there is a fire.

However, Oliver said the renter did have insurance, which will cover the cost.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/car-battery-charge-fire-destroys-b-c-luxury-home-1.2502038

quote:

A multimillion-dollar home in an exclusive B.C. waterfront community between West Vancouver and Lions Bay was destroyed after a fire broke out in the garage, where the homeowner left his car's battery charging.

No one was home when the fire started, but neighbours in Strachan Point said the doors of the garage suddenly blew out at around 11 p.m. PT on Friday night.

Firefighters said they could do little to save the home due to a lack of water access in the 17-home unincorporated community.

"There's no water supply in this community so we weren't letting our people go into the building," said Lions Bay Fire Chief Bob Allen.

The Lions Bay Fire Rescue Department brought almost 4,000 litres of of water in its two trucks and the West Vancouver Fire Department brought another 4,000 litres, but it was only enough to stop the flames from spreading to nearby homes.

"We could have saved the home if we had water down there, proper water down there," said Lions Bay firefighter John Friesen.

Firefighters ended up pumping water from the ocean, and a Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services fireboat also responded, pumping water from Howe Sound and helping to contain and put out the fire.

Strachan Point Estates pays no municipal taxes and has looked after itself much like a strata since 1971, which means that if there is a fire, homeowners must pay the fire departments that respond.

It was the community's first major fire, but fire officials estimate the cost for the response could exceed $100,000.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 19, 2014

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

I doubt it. Based on sales data, it seems like most buyers haven't gotten the message yet.

What I mean is, there have been a bunch of high-profile business papers publishing the story over the past few days, alongside talks of large hedge funds shorting Canadian real estate. What I'm wondering is whether this will be the first stirrings of a change in the narrative leading to the inevitable downward spiral of panic selling. Could this be the year?

As long as Gaius Baltar's house is still OK, who cares? :v:

You seriously have to wonder what the insurance premiums are on a house that literally has no access to fire hydrants.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What I mean is, there have been a bunch of high-profile business papers publishing the story over the past few days, alongside talks of large hedge funds shorting Canadian real estate. What I'm wondering is whether this will be the first stirrings of a change in the narrative leading to the inevitable downward spiral of panic selling. Could this be the year?

Mark me down as a 'no'. Everyone from Robert Shiller to the IMF has been calling this market ridiculous for years and it's kept going up.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Mark me down as a 'no'. Everyone from Robert Shiller to the IMF has been calling this market ridiculous for years and it's kept going up.

I don't know where I heard this, but a great analogy is a morbidly-obese dude who ignores his doctors and consumes vast quantities of McDonalds daily, yet still keeps trucking on. It's easy to be an observer and predict, very confidently, that he'll eventually be in a world of trouble - but there's no telling when. It could be a month or ten years - some of those guys are resilient as hell.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I swear that was either three pages back in this very thread, or the canadian politics megathread.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

I swear that was either three pages back in this very thread, or the canadian politics megathread.

Yeah, that's entirely possible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I don't know where I heard this, but a great analogy is a morbidly-obese dude who ignores his doctors and consumes vast quantities of McDonalds daily, yet still keeps trucking on. It's easy to be an observer and predict, very confidently, that he'll eventually be in a world of trouble - but there's no telling when. It could be a month or ten years - some of those guys are resilient as hell.

it's not so much as a question is if as when whenever you get a asset bubble.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lexicon posted:

I don't know where I heard this...

Me, like one page ago. t:mad:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

Markets can remain irrational for longer than you can remain solvent, yadda yadda yadda

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

Me, like one page ago. t:mad:

Ah. Well, :tipshat: then!

etalian posted:

it's not so much as a question is if as when whenever you get a asset bubble.

That's why it's a great analogy. There's no question the dude will eventually keel over - we know this with certainty. It's a question of when.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

colonel_korn posted:

haha no kidding, I was at UW myself about 10 years ago and for most of my time there I rented a house with four other guys, paying about $400/mo each. That was about average, I think the most anyone would seriously consider paying for rent at the time was maybe $500/mo, and in the summer a lot of people were looking for cheap sublets closer to $300. Granted that was 10 years ago but I doubt that the average is much higher these days, especially given that students are paying more tuition now too. $800/mo is ludicrous to expect students to pay, heck I'm employed as a postdoc right now and I would have to think about paying that much for a one-bedroom, let alone to split a place with someone else.

You probably wouldn't pay $20k/year to go to UW either, but the school is still bursting with international students paying that much. That's who the new student condos are aimed at.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sassafras posted:

I don't think rents that you or I paid as students 10+ years ago, prior to (probably) the biggest real estate boom in Canadian history, are terribly relevant to the present. I'm BC-based and my personal experience was that rents province-wide effectively doubled between 2004 and 2008. There hasn't been much movement since then, but I certainly know current students who have been paying $1000/mo, sometimes split between multiple people, to live in 1br units in houses chopped into 5-6 rental suites.

Rents in Waterloo did not change much while I was there (03-08) nor have they changed much since after a quick glance at the rental boards: https://listings.och.uwaterloo.ca/Classifieds/Search/Results. I suspect the reason is because unless you have one of the shrinking number of RIM jobs (ha ha ha) in Waterloo or some other well-paying semi-permanent position, there is almost no reason to live there other than to study at UW/Laurier. $800/mo is nearly double the typical rate of a single-room sublet (example: co-op housing across the street from campus is $425-450 per room per month, http://www.wcri.coop/Housing/rates.aspx).

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

PhilippAchtel posted:

" The latest Canadian jobs report was dismal, as its economy shed 45,000 jobs in December, and the unemployment rate rose from 6.9% to 7.2%"

A bit of an aside, but how can the Conservative government claim it is doing right by the economy when a figure like this is hanging over their heads?

Ontario has been hemorrhaging jobs pretty badly. You see, the provincial government is Liberal. The lesbian is ruining the Ontario economy and making the country look bad. You'll notice Alberta has been steadily gaining jobs without the hindrance of the liberal elite.

E: I've actually heard this come from someone's mouth.

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 20, 2014

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

eXXon posted:

Rents in Waterloo did not change much while I was there (03-08) nor have they changed much since after a quick glance at the rental boards: https://listings.och.uwaterloo.ca/Classifieds/Search/Results. I suspect the reason is because unless you have one of the shrinking number of RIM jobs (ha ha ha) in Waterloo or some other well-paying semi-permanent position, there is almost no reason to live there other than to study at UW/Laurier. $800/mo is nearly double the typical rate of a single-room sublet (example: co-op housing across the street from campus is $425-450 per room per month, http://www.wcri.coop/Housing/rates.aspx).

I still live in Waterloo and this is a really skewed view of the rental market. Yeah single-room sublets are super cheap compared to apartments, that's because you're subletting a single room. Those are both big compromises that come with a bunch of downsides.

So when it comes to apartments, you're not just competing with other students (as with sublets) but you're also competing with actual families who need a place to live. A 1-bedroom apartment (not a 1-room bachelor pad, an apartment) in Waterloo starts at $800/month and goes up quickly. That video said the dude was renting his condo for $1600/month, obviously that's a stretch (it is a blatant sales pitch after all) but not totally outlandish. Sure you were a poor student when you were living here but not everyone in the city is.

RIM's downfall hasn't hurt the tech sector as much as you'd think, there's still Google and SAP and D2L and Kik (and that's just the tech companies I can name off the top of my head). But yeah I guess that if you're not working there, or at one of the other major employers in the region, or working at one of the universities, or unless you're studying, or unless you actually grew up here like some of us did, there's no reason to live in Waterloo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The marketing pitch specifically targeted renting 2 bedroom condos to UWaterloo students at $1600/month, not full-time professionals.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah, at the very least it's completely disingenuous to suggest that you're drawing from a prospective renting pool of 50,000 UW/WLU students or whatever they said it was, when only a very small number could even consider paying that much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RBC posted:

Yes it is.

It's also hilarious considering Waterloo's largest employer is blackberry, a company that is regularily laying off thousands of people every month. The Waterloo real estate market can't go anywhere but up! Choo choo, all aboard the millionaire train!

Actually, after quick googling, statscan says the unemployment rate dropped significantly in the K-W area in the last few months even with seasonal adjustment (I'm not sure there are that many seasonal jobs in K-W anyhow). So go hog wild! It dropped greatly in Brantford and Barrie too, for what it's worth.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

eXXon posted:

The marketing pitch specifically targeted renting 2 bedroom condos to UWaterloo students at $1600/month, not full-time professionals.

Oh, I actually skipped the last 30 seconds of it so I missed this- yeah that's a really ridiculous pitch. Not that I'd expect much better from any other 1:30 internet video pushing a particular investment.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Toronto leads North America in blowing bubbles highrise projects

CBC posted:

There are 130 highrise projects under construction in Toronto, more than in any other North American city.

New York is second, with 91 projects, and Montreal is third with 25.

New York, one of the most culturally significant and economically important cities on Earth, ranks second to Toronto in terms of highrise construction. Take that as you will.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

sitchensis posted:

New York, one of the most culturally significant and economically important cities on Earth, ranks second to Toronto in terms of highrise construction. Take that as you will.
You could argue that a mature city doesn't need to build as much as a growing city. I imagine most of the building growth from NYC would be in NJ or other areas from where workers live and commute.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
The fact that NYC has three times as many high rises and is still building almost as many as Toronto is pretty crazy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

You know, I just saw an ad for this anti-investing fraud campaign on the bus:

[quote=InvestRight -- A program of the
BC Securities Commission]
Protect yourself

If an investment you're interested has the characteristics of one of the five warning signs below—it’s okay to say ‘no’.

#1 - No risk!
There’s no such thing as a guaranteed investment: the higher the returns, the higher the risk. This type of sales pitch is often aimed at people who live on a fixed income or those near or in early retirement who are worried about having enough money.

#2 - Profit like the pros!
These scams are pitched as opportunities known only to a select few who are said to be making a lot of money. The scam artist convinces you that he or she has access to this inside information.
An example of this is the‘prime bank’ scam. Investors are told about the existence of a secret market that only the world’s largest banks know about and are then given an exclusive opportunity to participate in this secret market. The catch is, secret prime bank markets don’t exist.

#3 - Offshore, tax free!
Fraudsters pitch this deal as a way to avoid paying taxes. They may try to convince you to move your money outside Canada to avoid taxes. They really want you to move it to an inaccessible offshore account.
They also tell you to keep it a secret so that you don't benefit from the advice of financial advisors who might see through the scam.
Read more on offshore investment schemes.

#4 - Get in now!
Scam artists use this tactic to pressure you into making a quick decision. They suggest they have secret information about a company that the general public doesn’t have.
This kind of sales pitch appeals to your fear of missing out on a valuable opportunity. Take your time to research an investment advisor, salesperson, company, and investment before you invest.

#5 - Your friends and family can’t be wrong!
Scam artists target religious, ethnic, or close-knit groups by working their way into organizations and befriending members. This approach relies on the trust you place in the people you care about.
Do a background check on the person who brings the investment opportunity to your attention - no matter how trustworthy.

Report it and warn others
If you have been approached or know of an investment that fits the description above, contact your provincial securities regulator immediately.

In BC, contact BCSC Inquiries. You can also anonymously report suspicious activity through InvestRight’s Report a scam webpage.
Residents from other Canadian provinces can find contact information for their provincial securities regulator at https://www.securities-administrators.ca.
If you know a person who has put money into, or is considering contributing, to an investment like the one described above, give or send them this information, and encourage them to do more research.
[/quote]

And I wondered, just how many of the examples of terrible real estate investment "opportunities" materials we've seen posted in this thread would qualify. I mean, 1,2,4 and 5 seem to come up pretty regularly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

The fact that NYC has three times as many high rises and is still building almost as many as Toronto is pretty crazy.

It also has roughly 3 times the population so if we're assuming New York's real estate market is healthy something is very out of skew in Toronto.

Edit: If you use metro areas New York is 4 times the size.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm not sure how you can call one number that is 45% bigger than another number "almost as many".

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm not sure how you can call one number that is 45% bigger than another number "almost as many".

That's condo math for you.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

The same math used to make cardboard mobile home on rented plot cost ONLY 140k+.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sitchensis posted:

I remember reading a article on skyscraper/highrise boom construction being a sure sign of a bubble since the large cost of the buildings requires things such as cheap and easy credit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's one of those silly anecdotes or rules that really doesn't hold up to close examination, but there's certainly some truth in it. It's also a usually a sign that developer capital has totally captured city hall and the planning process.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is somewhat of a general economy news piece, but it certainly doesn't bode well:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-22/canada-loses-haven-status-as-dollar-doesn-t-spark-exports.html

quote:

The dollar plunged to the lowest in more than four years today and returns on Canada’s benchmark stock index were less than half of U.S. equities last year, underscoring an economy beset by the slowest rebound in exports since World War II. Consumers are tapped out with record household debt and governments are more focused on erasing budget deficits than providing stimulus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I still live in Waterloo and this is a really skewed view of the rental market. Yeah single-room sublets are super cheap compared to apartments, that's because you're subletting a single room. Those are both big compromises that come with a bunch of downsides.

So when it comes to apartments, you're not just competing with other students (as with sublets) but you're also competing with actual families who need a place to live. A 1-bedroom apartment (not a 1-room bachelor pad, an apartment) in Waterloo starts at $800/month and goes up quickly. That video said the dude was renting his condo for $1600/month, obviously that's a stretch (it is a blatant sales pitch after all) but not totally outlandish. Sure you were a poor student when you were living here but not everyone in the city is.

RIM's downfall hasn't hurt the tech sector as much as you'd think, there's still Google and SAP and D2L and Kik (and that's just the tech companies I can name off the top of my head). But yeah I guess that if you're not working there, or at one of the other major employers in the region, or working at one of the universities, or unless you're studying, or unless you actually grew up here like some of us did, there's no reason to live in Waterloo.

All of you are missing the important part, it hardly matters what the rent is. At best it covers carrying costs for investors. The important number is the market value of the unit and it's appreciation. The idea of a condo in Waterloo increasing in market value to the tune of 6+% every year like that advertisement is suggesting is hilarious. These people are buying 3 bedroom student rental condos for 360k in a real estate market where the average detached home is less than 300k. It makes no loving sense whatsoever. Students have NO EFFECT on the real estate market in a city.