Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

quote:

To: ZirconEncrustedTweezers

He sounded like a punk because that’s what he is inside. He is an arrested development athlete being used to make folks rich, so they will ignore and excuse punkishness because they really don’t give a darn about Richard the person or his life, just what they can get out of him while they have him under contract. And folks, they got a lot out of him Sunday!

14 posted on Monday, January 20, 2014 9:35:44 AM by MHGinTN (Being deceived can be cured.)

This man is clearly a pinko commie sympathizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'm rather shocked that we managed to get through Pee Discussions without a single "Gun Control" joke.

Its also great that they're clinging to the notion of drugged-up unemployed, when even their dream program of "test all the dirty poors" in florida could dredge up more than a low-single-digit hit rate (which wasn't enough ROI to even pay for the program).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I missed a few other threads about Sherman, Freep is pissed about this guy and other 'thugs' ruining football.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

This is a surprisingly good article for Forbes. Freepers aren't going to read a single word of it.

Also:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Also Seattle didn't win the 2006 Superbowl, they lost to Pittsburgh.

Clearly you haven't talked to Seahawks fans about the officiating in Super Bowl XL. :v:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I don't watch football or any sport, but isn't football like, ≥50% black? Won't they need to bitch about almost every player?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don't watch football or any sport, but isn't football like, ≥50% black? Won't they need to bitch about almost every player?

Basically.

quote:

To: Dave346

I am a Saint fan, but you can’t believe how hard I will be rooting for Manning to go after this guy. Also, I suppose this is a racist comment, but why does the NFL let its’ players wear those long dreadlocks? Maybe, I am old fashioned, but Lombardi, Halas and Landry would have never let their players get away with that, and it isn’t just Dreadlocks, it is any hair that falls below th bottom of the back of the helmut that should be banned. They can wear a stocking cap or tie it up if they insist on having it.

8 posted on Monday, January 20, 2014 8:58:38 AM by Old Retired Army Guy

quote:

To: Old Retired Army Guy

I remember, as a kid, wasn’t Golden Richards on the Cowboys under Tom Landry. He had a little length to his hair . . . nothing like today and nothing like dreadlocks. Just sayin’ I say a lot of football with my Father and Grandfather watching the Cowboys back in the day.

That said, I don’t think they should have all that long hair. Looks awful.

12 posted on Monday, January 20, 2014 9:04:00 AM by Qwackertoo (Going into Politic Free Zone Momma Grizzly hibernation for a while after this week, maybe forever.)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Looking back at things, its really the black quarterbacks that especially rile up the RW racists (remember Rush's short lived football commentator gig?). There's nothing like a black guy in a position of quasi-authority to really rev their rascals.

Edit: ^^And I can't read those comments about Landry in anything but a Hank Hill voice.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Football is ~45% white ~45% black but Quarterbacks (especially in the NFL) are overwhelmingly white and they're typically the "face" of the team.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You see, dreadlocks were all the rage in 1961, but Coach Lombardi said

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

It will get even easier this year with Teddy Bridgewater entering the draft, and it will be easier the year after when Jameis Winston goes in. Two black pocket passers in two years. There will be some confused Freepers.

Something tells me they'll know exactly how to feel.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Plinkey posted:

Basically.

"Look at them sideburns! He looks like a girl. Now, Johnny Unitas, THERE'S a haircut you could set your watch to."

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Football is ~45% white ~45% black but Quarterbacks (especially in the NFL) are overwhelmingly white and they're typically the "face" of the team.

If you guys haven't read Jeb Lund (Mobutu)'s article on the black quarterback narratives in the NFC championship matchup, take a few minutes and do so. It's great and highly relevant to this discussion.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Insanely racist freeper posted:

It's a real toss-up as to which of those two churlish, no-class negro hucksters is more loathsome.

Jesus Christ :ughh:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

On the MLK stuff, :lol: at them bringing up his adultery. Seriously, have you checked out the founding fathers? At least he wasn't a rapist like Jefferson.

Edit: Also I feel like this thread could appreciate this. Basically French Canadian Freepers!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/pineault-caron-secular-charter-testimony-goes-viral-on-youtube-1.2501980

quote:

“Praying on all fours on a carpet, what is that all about?” asked Caron in French during her recounting of a visit to a mosque in Morocco where she was asked to remove her shoes.

It is customary to remove one's shoes before entering a mosque, and kneeling to pray and covering one's head are common Islamic practices.

Caron said she reluctantly gave up her footwear and entered the mosque, only to find women and men praying on their hands and knees in separate quarters of the temple.

“I remained really marked by this. I got back on the bus and said, ‘Could this be? Praying on all fours on a carpet?’” Caron continued.

quote:

Her husband, Pineault, spoke about visiting an open-air marketplace in Tangier, Morocco to pick up a souvenir of their trip. He said he was pickpocketed by two people who were wearing some kind of religious headgear.

“They searched me on the right side. I thought it was my wife. But then they searched me on the left side,” he told the commission.

“Who was under these disguises? Women? Men? I don’t know,” Pineault said in French.

“What I do know, is that it’s unthinkable to allow people to walk around in Quebec, in the streets, in public places — really anywhere besides homes and private places — with such disguises,” he concluded.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 20, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
The thing that I don't get are the Freepers who say that nothing MLK said or wrote is substantial or important. Generally people aren't assassinated if all they do is make lame, milquetoast statements.

Like I can into the headspace of the racists trying to smear his character or try to disassociate him from current social justice issues, but trying to pretend that he isn't a towering figure in modern American history is so bizarre.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's the same logic that says they can't be racist because Lincoln was a Republican.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Some Freeper posted:

I have a relative who is totally wrapped up in the King Legacy. He claims to be a Christian and draws strength from his life. I question how a serial adulterer who cheated on his wife can be a moral role model for anyone.

This one just confuses me. They've heard of King David, right? From the Bible?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In one of the threads about MLK quite a few people are saying that would work for free today out of spite because it's a made-up holiday.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Little Blackfly posted:

On the MLK stuff, :lol: at them bringing up his adultery. Seriously, have you checked out the founding fathers? At least he wasn't a rapist like Jefferson.

But was Jefferson an uppity friend of the family (not racist because I didn't say it within earshot of a negro. Actually, you're the real racist here!) who questioned the rightful privilege that white people were bestowed with? Check and mate, king me! :smugbert:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

But was Jefferson an uppity friend of the family (not racist because I didn't say it within earshot of a negro. Actually, you're the real racist here!) who questioned the rightful privilege that white people were bestowed with? Check and mate, king me! :smugbert:

You see, by referring to a white person like Jefferson as a "friend of the family" I'm proving I don't use that word as a racial slur against only blacks so I'm not being racist when I say it and hey where are you going?

...Heh, just owned that libtard. :smug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Plinkey posted:

In one of the threads about MLK quite a few people are saying that would work for free today out of spite because it's a made-up holiday.

Along with running their four pickup truck on Earth Day, changing all the CFL bulbs in their apartments/offices to incandescent, and leaving the water running.

I don't understand how running up your electric/water/gasoline costs is sticking it to me, but hey, gently caress liberals.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Well thank you all for covering Richard Sherman for me; I was running out the door to work or I would have looked myself. And speaking of football...

The Questionable Ethics of Teaching my Son Football

quote:

To: deks; Revolting cat!; GeronL; Slings and Arrows
Why bother? They’ve gayed it up with disco diva dance singers, pink ribbons for abortionists, and refuse to air footage of cheerleaders shaking their hips.

Add to it the thuggary and billion dollar welfare queens who make dime off the public taxpayers.

WHO NEEDS IT?

4 posted on 1/20/2014 1:30:26 PM by a fool in paradise ("Health care is too important to be left to the government.")

quote:

and refuse to air footage of cheerleaders shaking their hips
They don't shake hips any more, they do booty call dances to raunchy rap lyrics, they start them on that in elementary school these days

5 posted on 1/20/2014 1:36:22 PM by GeronL (Extra Large Cheesy Over-Stuffed Hobbit)

quote:

To: deks
If the NFL takes measures to make the game a little safer, I may or may not agree.

For example:
Clipping, as a penalty, is a good thing.
Rough the passer, as a penalty, has been overused.
Ball-carrier lowering his head, as a penalty, is just wrong.

But when the NFL started issuing penalties for “taunting” and “excessive celebration”, that is a dead give-away that liberals are in charge of the game and it is only a matter of time.

13 posted on 1/20/2014 1:50:57 PM by kidd

Hmm hmm yes it's liberals who are mad at Richard Sherman and those showboating negroes.

quote:

To: GeronL
The cheerleaders are BARELY broadcast on NFL games at all (you have to really look to see a glimpse) and on SeeBS yesterday (same network that aired Elvis on Sullivan over 55 years ago) they were shot strictly above the waist.

Car ads had women driving them with submissive men in the back. Technology ads had single parent women raising their kids.

I don’t own a tv anymore. I rarely watch professional sports, let alone on tv, anymore.

But I know what I see.

14 posted on 1/20/2014 1:51:34 PM by a fool in paradise ("Health care is too important to be left to the government.")

--------

Obama Compares Pro Football to Smoking, Says He Wouldn't Let Son Play

quote:

To: Sir Napsalot
It’s too bad his son is dead. Turns out trying to smash an armed man’s head is more dangerous than football.

2 posted on 1/20/2014 12:20:23 PM by demshateGod (The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.)

Trayvon!

quote:

Compare this statement with Patton's statement that football is an excellent education for life and combat. More of the pussification of the US by dear leader, Obama.
14 posted on 1/20/2014 12:36:00 PM by vetvetdoug

:freep: takin are freedoms to concuss are children into senility!!! :freep:

quote:

I always thought the the P in POTUS was for President but I guess I’m mistaken, since 2009 PU$$ie is more appropriate.

15 posted on 1/20/2014 12:37:24 PM by Rappini (Veritas vos Liberabit)

Well thank goodness he censored it.

quote:

We are entering the end stage of this c-suckers reign. The same as the last days of Hitler. A very tricky time, the man is to go completely off his rocker, that is, if he even had any mental capacity to begin with.

21 posted on 1/20/2014 12:44:56 PM by crz

quote:

To: Dilbert San Diego
Don’t count on it. The media is on-board with this agenda, even if his delivery sucked. Those at the highest levels of academia have put american football in their cross hairs. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is all the craze in the TBI research world. For the last decade it was all about blast injury and military-related TBI. Money was flowing to look into the effects of blast on the brain, and to a large extent it still is, but many are now seeing that avenue of research funding as having a limited lifespan. Many are jumping to chronic sports head injuries as the new prime focus. Most really aren’t looking for therapeutics or improved preventative measures, they’re looking to characterize how bad it is and demonize the NFL.

It may seem ridiculous to most here, but those at the top genuinely believe that given enough time, they can minimize or do away with American football altogether and in the process attract huge sums of money in grants from the government and special interest groups in order to study it. I sincerely believe that it’s a major long term goal for a number of elites in the academic world, just based on what I’ve overheard myself while attending various scientific conferences around the world.

Just think about how far liberals have come in advancing their agenda in the last 20 years alone. What may seem silly and ridiculous to you today may become tomorrow’s reality if we brush it aside as too silly to even entertain as a possibility.

41 posted on 1/20/2014 1:50:36 PM by messierhunter

I would like to live in this freeper's world where scientific research were more lucrative than sports.

quote:

To: vetvetdoug
American football is a major item in the liberal’s war on all things masculine, and they sincerely believe they can undermine it in the long term. I for one believe them. This is just one beat in a long chain of beating the drum against the NFL, and American football in general. I’m not in a position that will allow me to name names, but speaking for myself I know Obama has at least glanced at mine and my coworkers’ research on the subject. Some of that directly relates to the current attention being given to “concussions.” Personally, my research is focused on reducing injuries and improving outcomes with cutting edge science, but most of the research in the field is currently just focused on trying to prove how detrimental it is to your health. Most aren’t really looking for a solution, other than to discourage people from participating.

43 posted on 1/20/2014 1:59:10 PM by messierhunter

This messierhunter person is crazy!

quote:

[pictures of Obama smoking]

44 posted on 1/20/2014 2:00:01 PM by E. Pluribus Unum (Who knew that one day professional wrestling would be less fake than professional journalism?)

Aaaand I'm spent.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wait, so was MLK a Republican or a Communist? I always get confused about that this time of year.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah man let's use racial slurs as long as ironic or impersonating other people it's totes ok.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Iron Crowned posted:

It's the same logic that says they can't be racist because Lincoln was a Republican.

Please, we all know Lincoln was the original RINO.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah man let's use racial slurs as long as ironic or impersonating other people it's totes ok.

"Do not engage or respond to me, as I am an insufferable prick. I love posting about posting or posters, rather than actual content. But it's cool because I'm smarter than you and have the correct opinion on every matter."

Georgia Peach posted:

Please, we all know Lincoln was the original RINO.

The Tea Party is the only real Republican Party.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

"Do not engage or respond to me, as I am an insufferable prick. I love posting about posting or posters, rather than actual content. But it's cool because I'm smarter than you and have the correct opinion on every matter."

He's not wrong.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vagabundo posted:

cool story bro

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I'm still trying to parse how not showing women gyrating their hips in miniskirts is a sign of moral decay.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ArchangeI posted:

I'm still trying to parse how not showing women gyrating their hips in miniskirts is a sign of moral decay.

By taking the sex out of football, you're making it less masculine, and therefore more feminine, and therefore more gay, and therefore immoral.

Don't ever think too deeply about FReepers' opinions or hang-ups, they certainly don't.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Wait, so was MLK a Republican or a Communist? I always get confused about that this time of year.

Trying to pin down freepish/conservative position on MLK is just a bit harder than trying to tie a water drop into a knot. Here's a handy primer to try and determine Schroeder's King sits on the political spectrum:

-If the subject is hip-hop culture, crime rates and such, King will be a proud christian conservative, and it will be said that black people degenerated from his good example and are now ferals.

-If the issue is racism itself and its share in shaping society, King will be a communist, adulterous immoral agitator who plagiarized his PhD dissertation. He railed against something that wasn't really a problem, because his people were not ready for freedom anyway.

-If the subject is welfare, he'll again become a pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps conservative who would be passionate about ending affirmative action and unemployment aid because...um...he wore a suit, I guess. The parts where he directly stated that the society that was proactive in limiting minorities should also be proactive in helping them will be conveniently tossed down the memory hole.

-When the issue is our corrupt times versus the Good Old Days, flip a coin. Heads, he'd be appalled at our fickle, sinful ways, being a godly man who was a republican. Tails, he's one of guilty parties in making things as HORRIBLE as they are now, being part of the whole 60s shake-up. After all, once you got darkies sitting at the front of the bus, it would follow that men would sissy up, mothers would kill their unborn -children- for fun, godly people would be assaulted with "Happy Holidays" every December and cats will give birth to dogs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lester Shy posted:

Whichever is most convenient for whatever point they're trying to make at the moment they're trying to make it. The other option is equally valid, and non-contradictory, even if used later in the same sentence. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
So MLK is the Schroedinger's cat of Freep?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As hard as it is to believe Freep isn't a hivemind. They just all believe different strains of awful that fit into the orthodox belief system. The MLK Communist-Republican split is not unlike a Republican Christian reformation.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 21, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

LF's gone, man, let it go.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

LF's gone, man, let it go.

It's the new Benghazi.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I took a sociology of sport class for some easy credits during the summer a few years back and despite having no clue what sports are I found it to be really enlightening, especially how white quarterbacks are generally picked for their 'smarts' while black quarterbacks are usually chosen for their physical qualities. It's pretty hella racist.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
If you want to see some truly crazy poo poo about race and football, check out Caste Football, a website about how white players who want to be running backs or defensive backs are discriminated against, because of pervasive societal anti-white racism.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Reminder that Richard Sherman (aka the Feral Black that went on a rant and scared that poor white lady!!) graduated from Stanford with Honors and during that time got his Master's Degree in 3 years.

What a ghetto thug!!!

He also wrote this because of all the racism he was getting after yesterday:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

Gosh... so violent... blacks in Obama's America!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

via

• Locked thread