Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

I'd limit twin peaks to the first season, unless you wanted to use it as the "This is how to start a show and NOT END IT" example. Actually, arguably, LOST falls under that, too.

Twin Peaks' second season is just as much a part of the show as the first. I wouldn't want to teach my students to skip good seasons of TV shows just because they have a vague drop in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What is Supernatural about? All my friends like it but that's almost 100% because they two leads are hunky guys. Is there value in the show for a cool man like myself?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Austrian mook posted:

What is Supernatural about? All my friends like it but that's almost 100% because they two leads are hunky guys. Is there value in the show for a cool man like myself?

Two hunky brothers who roam around the country in a classic Impala, listening to classic rock, shooting classic shotguns at classic monster movie horrors.

It's pretty rad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Austrian mook posted:

The first five seasons are some of the best horror/thriller TV in years. It's kind of divisive after that but if you love those seasons (which form a 100% complete, planned story arc) then carry on.

Seriously, just give it a go.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can get the whole idea of a class on teaching how serialized TV writing is now a whole new beast to writers.

Sort of like how you had things that started out as movie concepts like Glee and Prison Break that eventually got transformed and expanded to become TV series and have to have a way to figure out how to expand a planned 1-3 films worth of story over 4 years into 30 hours of content into 2 years.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PriorMarcus posted:

The first five seasons are some of the best horror/thriller TV in years. It's kind of divisive after that but if you love those seasons (which form a 100% complete, planned story arc) then carry on.

I'm in the middle of a lot of shows atm, I'll put it on my list.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supernatural also does, for my money, the absolute best comedy episodes for a non comedy show. Every single one of them could go toe to toe with some of the best sitcoms.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jesus, I just watched the double premier of Helix and it's ssoooooo cheap looking.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Supernatural has been consistently one of the best programmes on television for the last decade.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Does Netflix really not have a "recently watched" tab? What the gently caress?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Manos del Sino posted:

Two hunky brothers who roam around the country in a classic Impala, listening to classic rock, shooting classic shotguns at classic monster movie horrors.

It's pretty rad.

I really wish it had stayed this show instead of being consumed by all the angels and demons nonsense. That's all I ever wanted out of it, just sweet cars and monsters of the week, and instead by about season 3 it's nothing but heaven, hell, and angst. Serialization ruins everything.

Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

No, it's weird as gently caress. I wish they let you save stuff to a watch list as well. It's kind of user unfriendly in that regard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

No, it's weird as gently caress. I wish they let you save stuff to a watch list as well. It's kind of user unfriendly in that regard.

Well, there is the queue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

There should be a box for the last thing you watched and above that a link that will bring up a list of the last dozen or so things you've watched.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
That sucks, what are the best comedians on Netflix? I loved Ansari's stuff so something sort of like him would rule.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DivisionPost posted:

All this begs the question: If you're teaching a course on writing or appreciating episodic television, what would be on your syllabus?

Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, and LA Law.

God, I like me some MTM/Steven Bochco dramas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know if you're joking. The "Recently Watched" button is at the very top of the page on Netflix. It's the first thing you see.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

PriorMarcus posted:

I just started Season 5 now. Of course Jacob from Lost is Lucifer.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know if you're joking. The "Recently Watched" button is at the very top of the page on Netflix. It's the first thing you see.

Yeah but it lists specific episodes, I can't just have a last 5 shows I watched tab or something, what if I wanna alternate between Archer and The Office? Huh?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

gently caress yeah the instructor for the class I'm taking (writing episodic television) decided to e-mail us a recommended show list. I am so :dance: after reading it:

For an episodic writing class that list has a lot of highly serialized shows on it.

PriorMarcus posted:

Jesus, I just watched the double premier of Helix and it's ssoooooo cheap looking.

It looked fine, the problem with it was that it's really, really, profoundly dull.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

For an episodic writing class that list has a lot of highly serialized shows on it.
Episodic doesn't mean procedural but also nearly all the shows on that list that are serial are also episodic in nature, because TV is episodic in nature. That's why there are cliffhangers or the last minutes are always downtime even in a serialized show (or I am guessing in GOT why episodes end when and how they do vs. how the pacing in the books flow).

It's not a study of episodic television, it's a course for writing episodic TV, as in I will end up writing a bunch of fake TV scripts, loglines, trying to pitch poo poo and all that. I doubt much time will be done :spergin: about every detail about TV Canon. That's what TV/IV is for!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

Episodic doesn't mean procedural but also nearly all the shows on that list that are serial are also episodic in nature, because TV is episodic in nature. That's why there are cliffhangers or the last minutes are always downtime even in a serialized show (or I am guessing in GOT why episodes end when and how they do vs. how the pacing in the books flow).

It's not a study of episodic television, it's a course for writing episodic TV, as in I will end up writing a bunch of fake TV scripts, loglines, trying to pitch poo poo and all that. I doubt much time will be done :spergin: about every detail about TV Canon. That's what TV/IV is for!

I had a class just like this when I was in college and it was loads of fun.

My spec script was an episode of HIMYM (circa season... three? four?) where Barney's doppleganger shows up and pretends to be him while Barney is handcuffed to a radiator. It ended with Ted realizing he was still in love with Robin. I'm not proud of it, but it did get me an A and I think my professor (who worked with a few studios and had a ton of connections) actually sent it in to a few agents for me. Never heard back, of course.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Heroes is the television version of The Room and everyone should appreciate how awful it is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

lelandjs posted:

I had a class just like this when I was in college and it was loads of fun.

My spec script was an episode of HIMYM (circa season... three? four?) where Barney's doppleganger shows up and pretends to be him while Barney is handcuffed to a radiator. It ended with Ted realizing he was still in love with Robin. I'm not proud of it, but it did get me an A and I think my professor (who worked with a few studios and had a ton of connections) actually sent it in to a few agents for me. Never heard back, of course.
clearly they read it because I mean, look at the stuff on HIMYM lately

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I dunno, I never hated Heroes. :shobon:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heroes' biggest problem is that they had no idea what they wanted to do with the show. So plots and characters came and went with little regard to overall story. Like, the show starts with that whole eclipse thing where the main cast all of a sudden discover they have powers. Except the eclipse had nothing to do with it since people have had powers for hundreds of years. BUT later in the show another eclipse happens and the characters all lose their powers for the duration.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I dunno, I never hated Heroes. :shobon:

no didn't you hear? You have to hate Heroes and Weeds to post here.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

no didn't you hear? You have to hate Heroes and Weeds to post here.

Hating HEROES for being bad would be like hating a banana split for its political views. All the same, it's a baffling and dazzling gem of wretched.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

soapgish posted:

I'd just have my class watch HEROES, then write fifteen pages on what not to do.

This, unironically. Heroes is an object lesson in how TV is not a comic book, and while some "making it up as we go along" is always going to be present, you have to have some idea where you're going. man, I made it to almost the end of season 3, and I regret almost all of it save for a few decent episodes, and one great one. By that point I just wanted Robert Forster to murder the whole cast except the Glasses Guy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well later seasons of Heroes is also proof Bryan Fuller obviously knows what he is doing because when he came back to do a few episodes they were surprisingly good.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah but it lists specific episodes, I can't just have a last 5 shows I watched tab or something, what if I wanna alternate between Archer and The Office? Huh?

Thats one area the the netflix apps (the PS/xbox ones for certain, probably others) excel by actually doing that where they just show you the last show you watched as one item instead of listing each individual episode like the website does.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best thing to come out of Heroes was when Bryan Fuller came back and started poo poo talking the other producers/writers in interviews. Like how when he came back they were setting up the Sylar's father story arc and he had to tell them that you can't do another story arc where the bad guy is one of the character's dad when you just got done doing the exact same thing with Peter's dad.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

The best thing to come out of Heroes was when Bryan Fuller came back and started poo poo talking the other producers/writers in interviews. Like how when he came back they were setting up the Sylar's father story arc and he had to tell them that you can't do another story arc where the bad guy is one of the character's dad when you just got done doing the exact same thing with Peter's dad.

Blocked memories are breaking back into my consciousness. It hurts. Sylar went from the child of Snowglobe/Watch to a full-on Petrelli to Petrelli/Diner Robber, or something?

Also, Fuller forever.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I kind of wish they would have done that for the sole reason of giving John Glover more screen time. Absolutely nothing else would have been good about it though.

soapgish posted:

Also, Fuller forever.

I really want Dead Like Me to come back on Netflix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason that season had a stupid subplot where they teased that Sylar was actually Peter's brother (because they had similar powers even though nobody else related to each other had similar powers) but then they said nah and instead Sylar goes looking for his real dad and picks up a weird evil sidekick. Then Fuller showed up, says "this is stupid" and they quickly wrapped up Sylar's dad and Sylar kicked his sidekick to the curb.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Okay, if you had to pick the absolute worst character on Heroes, who would it be? Too bad Minka Kelly was never on it or it would be a no brainer.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jingleheimer posted:

Okay, if you had to pick the absolute worst character on Heroes, who would it be? Too bad Minka Kelly was never on it or it would be a no brainer.

There's the fodder characters like The German who were bad. Cast-wise, Peter and Matt ended up terrible. Sylar the writers liked for being a sufficient antagonist across the board, but Peter got his powers constantly buggered while his opposite remained god-like. Truth is, Sylar struggling with de-power and figuring out how to rise again as Peter becomes a god that feels powerless would have been great, and it would have taken just more thought than the little I put into it now.

Parkman was bobo for his character being created as a means to an end and persisting though his power provided no purpose in itself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm going to say Sylar, mostly because of how poorly written his character was. He was pretty much the prime example of the producers not knowing what they wanted to do. He swung from bad guy to good guy to bad guy and just constantly back and forth.

Thinking about Heroes is just reminding me of all the incredibly stupid things they did. Like Nathan's giant hobo beard he grew in exactly one week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I just started Season 5 now. Of course Jacob from Lost is Lucifer.

Season 5 episode 5 now, and I have to know: did Paris Hilton have a contract to be in every CW show? I mean, I'm only going by this and Veronica Mars, but still...

• Locked thread