Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That seems suspiciously like the kind of thing Komaeda would be behind. :v:

I think you're confused. That's Mioda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

pidgeon posted:

I think you're confused. That's Mioda.

They meant Komaeda would be the one to tell Mioda to say she did it.

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

Color Printer posted:

They meant Komaeda would be the one to tell Mioda to say she did it.

He is metaphorically tied up to the bed and unable to play out his schemes. One chapter. Just one chapter. I want him to be free again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

John Lee posted:

This Monobear seems... more hosed up than DR1 Monobear, I guess? I'm not ruling out one of the infected being the killer, since this one doesn't seem to be as invested in the motivation aspect.

Well, he does have more space to work with.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kal-L posted:

Thinking again, why would Hope's Peak need to go all the trouble setting up a Prep School to squeeze some money? Wouldn't they have a SHSL Financial Adviser to make investments for them? Or have their former alumni donate some fat stacks of cash to their alma mater?

Given that they've had to really reach to fill out their ranks with stuff like SHSL Fortuneteller and SHSL Doujin Author, I have a feeling that something as useful as a SHSL Financial Adviser just doesn't exist.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bifauxnen posted:

Given that they've had to really reach to fill out their ranks with stuff like SHSL Fortuneteller and SHSL Doujin Author, I have a feeling that something as useful as a SHSL Financial Adviser just doesn't exist.

I dunno, the fortune teller was able to make specific, unusual predictions that actually ended up coming true...

Professional-otaku
Dec 14, 2013

kankrat posted:

super high school level otaku maybe? they mentioned it being something he's wasting his parents' money on...
For the money part I'm pretty sure they're talking about the tuition to the school, because it's a private school~^^ So it's just that they would be "wasting" their money on Hinata going to Hope peak when he "doesn't have a talent" or whatever his situation is. :)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Seriously Safe posted:

Sorry if I seem stupid for asking, but what exactly is wrong with Hinata going to prep school?

DWK posted:

I've been wondering this too. I think Prep school must mean something different in England to the rest of the world.

In England, a Prep School is a weird sort of private school for kids ages 8-13 which is supposed to prepare them for entry into secondary (high) school at the 13+ level. A lot of prep schools are paired with a proper secondary school.

(In America, "prep school" means a completely different thing; it's a separate institution that prepares older students for college entry)

I don't know exactly how the Prep School concept lines up with the Japanese education system, but in any case, Hope's Peak Academy proper is running this separate institution, the Hope's Peak Prep School, which ostensibly acts as an entry point into the Academy (like an English Prep School might), but is actually just an income source. It trades off the prestige of Hope's Peak and entices parents to pay (presumably) exorbitant fees with the promise of their children maybe being able to transfer to the Academy proper, but this doesn't seem to have ever happened and the money just funds new facilities.

The reason it's "bad" for Hinata to be going to the Prep School is because, well, it's not really Hope's Peak Academy. The one thing we know for sure about him is that he "reveres" Hope's Peak and is so proud of being able to attend because it means he's a Super High-school Level Something, but if he actually only attends the Prep School then he's a faker or deluded or something.

The scene we saw in the last update can be read in one of two ways:

1) He's at his previous school, and the other kids are discussing the fact that he's going to Hope's Peak Prep

2) He's at Hope's Peak Prep and is actually transferring to the main academy. If this is true it means SHSL-ness is for sale.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Fedule posted:

1) He's at his previous school, and the other kids are discussing the fact that he's going to Hope's Peak Prep

2) He's at Hope's Peak Prep and is actually transferring to the main academy. If this is true it means SHSL-ness is for sale.

It is for sale. "Being rich" was literally the skill that got Togami into Hope's Peak.

I mean okay, so maybe his lifelong grooming to be a ruthless overlord was involved, but mainly it was the cheddar.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Dr. Buttass posted:

It is for sale. "Being rich" was literally the skill that got Togami into Hope's Peak.

I mean okay, so maybe his lifelong grooming to be a ruthless overlord was involved, but mainly it was the cheddar.

Not necessarily. Togami still had a head on his shoulders, he was able to start from nothing and managed to play with stocks and gain himself millions. That was told from one of his Free-Time events. I think being rich was just an afterthought in his case.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HelloWinter posted:

Not necessarily. Togami still had a head on his shoulders, he was able to start from nothing and managed to play with stocks and gain himself millions. That was told from one of his Free-Time events. I think being rich was just an afterthought in his case.

He didn't come from nothing. The fact that he deliberately set aside the wealth he had access to doesn't mean his family connections didn't skew things hilariously in his favor. It's like privilege 101, and it's only natural someone like Togami would assume it's pure skill.

I mean we're talking about a guy who had a family library of Illuminati Secrets he could casually read through when he was bored. Slight information advantage

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I really want to bring up something from Togami's DR1 free-time events, since it's very relevant to discussion about his talent, but I don't know what orenronen's stance on DR1 content he didn't cover is. I'll just say he had to work to earn his position.

Edit: Well, never mind. Since ApplesandOranges already said it, I'll just add on (in spoilers just in case) that our Togami was the youngest of the heirs, and therefore the most disadvantaged when it comes to winning the inheritance. He's apparently the first time the youngest heir's won, too.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 20, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Oblivious posted:

He didn't come from nothing. The fact that he deliberately set aside the wealth he had access to doesn't mean his family connections didn't skew things hilariously in his favor. It's like privilege 101, and it's only natural someone like Togami would assume it's pure skill.

I mean we're talking about a guy who had a family library of Illuminati Secrets he could casually read through when he was bored. Slight information advantage

Going through all of Togami's Free Time events reveal that he wasn't the only heir in the family at first - he had to prove he was better than the other members of the Togami family to show his potential. The rest were exiled.

So yeah, he had to work to get it.

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

Wait, so is the prep school a middle school and not a high school?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

pidgeon posted:

Wait, so is the prep school a middle school and not a high school?

No, it's a high school. The HPPS (or at least its Japanese title) seems to be modeled after Japanese prep schools ("yobikou"), which in turn are more similar to American than to British ones. Japanese prep schools are private institutions that help you prepare to take entrance exams for prestigious universities (without any promise that you'll actually succeed, of course). You usually enter them after you graduate from high school if you didn't manage to pass the exams while still a student.

My take is the same as Fedule's - the HPPS is named that way because the school wanted to make it seem as if transfer to the main HP school is possible. That turned out to be a false promise in practice, hence the DR/Zero parade.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

orenronen posted:

No, it's a high school. The HPPS (or at least its Japanese title) seems to be modeled after Japanese prep schools ("yobikou"), which in turn are more similar to American than to British ones. Japanese prep schools are private institutions that help you prepare to take entrance exams for prestigious universities (without any promise that you'll actually succeed, of course). You usually enter them after you graduate from high school if you didn't manage to pass the exams while still a student.

My take is the same as Fedule's - the HPPS is named that way because the school wanted to make it seem as if transfer to the main HP school is possible. That turned out to be a false promise in practice, hence the DR/Zero parade.

Wait, so enrollment in HPPS and in Heap's Poke itself cater to congruent years of education levels? HPPS is a crappy knock-off chain of Hope's Peak?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Wait, so enrollment in HPPS and in Heap's Poke itself cater to congruent years of education levels? HPPS is a crappy knock-off chain of Hope's Peak?

A crappy knock-off chain under the pretense that you can eventually get into Hope's Peak proper (you never will though).

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

A crappy knock-off chain under the pretense that you can eventually get into Hope's Peak proper (you never will though).

Unless you're our protagonist, it seems.

pidgeon posted:

He is metaphorically tied up to the bed and unable to play out his schemes. One chapter. Just one chapter. I want him to be free again.

The minute that crazy bastard gets loose will probably be the one where he dies. He's still out to get himself murdered last time he got on the subject. Maybe not by Naegi any more if Komaeda finds out Naegi's from the prep school.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he hates him actively for it.

Oliver Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 20, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Fedule posted:

orenronen posted:

I feel like these two facts are related. That's why I was curious about DR0 - we've been having protests and such back in that time, so maybe the administration caved and let a student transfer over just to show it was possible.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oliver Crowley posted:

The minute that crazy bastard gets loose will probably be the one where he dies. He's still out to get himself murdered last time he got on the subject. Maybe not by Naegi any more if Komaeda finds out Naegi's from the prep school.

I know people think Komaeda is Naegi but this is just ridiculous. :v: (Hinata.)

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
Come on, guys. We all know that Hinata's proper title is Super High School Level Wet Blanket. I mean, seriously, what else could it be? :rolleyes:

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Fedule posted:

In England, a Prep School is a weird sort of private school for kids ages 8-13 which is supposed to prepare them for entry into secondary (high) school at the 13+ level. A lot of prep schools are paired with a proper secondary school.

(In America, "prep school" means a completely different thing; it's a separate institution that prepares older students for college entry)

Ahh, thank you Fedule. My image of Prep schools is very much boaters, tuck shops and a young Stephen Fry in grey flannel shorts so I couldn't work out why Hinata would go to one. But if it's more of a crammer and he's not the smartest tool in the box, it makes more sense.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

pidgeon posted:

What if Tsumiki is lying and Komaeda is actually running around, setting up the murder? That's a possibility. Ever since Komaeda got really sick we haven't actually seen him in his bed, we only think he's in bed because Tsumiki is telling us so, unless I missed that part.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Carlioo posted:

What if Tsumiki is lying and Komaeda is actually running around, setting up the murder? That's a possibility. Ever since Komaeda got really sick we haven't actually seen him in his bed, we only think he's in bed because Tsumiki is telling us so, unless I missed that part.

That's him on the bed in the background. He's been there every time we entered the room.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
At the moment, the most vulnerable characters are the ones who can be isolated, excluding Nekomaru and Hinata. Tsukimi is running herself ragged taking care of everybody in the hospital, but she's the only person who can enter/leave the hospital at night, according to MB's hospital rules. Souda is the character coming into the music club at various intervals to check in with the hospital, and Saionji has locked herself away in her motel room.

Going by what we have, Souda would be the easiest target. Everyone but the invalids know what his job is during this. Anyone from the motel could ambush him, Tsukimi, Kuzuryuu, or ...maybe Ibuki could also be lying in wait if they know his schedule, but Ibuki is a really distant maybe because she's sick and Tsukimi would notice her leaving. Kuzuryuu is really unlikely either.

Tsukimi murdering any of the invalids is too obvious/easy, especially if the time of death is during the night when she's the only person standing. She may be framed for it...some how... but there's not enough to go on at this point to suggest that. Given her exhaustion and character temperament, it would be far easier for someone to murder her-- even weakened she'd try to stop someone from killing a patient, but none of her patients can really stop anybody from killing her-- but again, it will beg the question of how they get into the hospital to do it. If Monobear was swinging around a machine gun looking for rule-breakers he's probably not going to let the rules bend enough so someone can slip into the hospital under the cover of darkness and kill somebody.

Saionji is the most unlikely of the potential candidates because of her position. She's locked herself in her motel room, surrounded by people trying to protect themselves from the quarantined characters. She'd raise a HUGE fuss if someone who was already in the motel tried to break into her room, Tsukimi nor anybody else from the hospital could get very close to her room without everyone screaming at them and if she's already dead or poisoned or something, then everything involving the hospital was a tremendous red herring, and we've gotten no set up for it beyond the mention of her isolation.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

orenronen posted:

That's him on the bed in the background. He's been there every time we entered the room.

That's just what she wants you to think!

That "Komaeda" is actually just a dressed-up pillow and a tape recorder!

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

VladTheEater posted:

That's just what she wants you to think!

That "Komaeda" is actually just a dressed-up pillow and a tape recorder!

You could probably just put a mop under the covers and fluff them up a bit so there's a lump, and nobody would ever notice. Or care.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

OmegaCake posted:

Come on, guys. We all know that Hinata's proper title is Super High School Level Wet Blanket. I mean, seriously, what else could it be? :rolleyes:

Super High School Level Sanity?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

I feel like these two facts are related. That's why I was curious about DR0 - we've been having protests and such back in that time, so maybe the administration caved and let a student transfer over just to show it was possible.

I predict that we'll find out that's the case at first and Hinata will feel very alienated when it turns out he doesn't have a SHSL talent. However, after everything the group has been through I don't think anyone will really treat him all that different (except maybe Saionji just to antagonize him and very possibly Komeada, Oliver Crowley makes a great point). But later on in another twist we'll learn that Naegi wasn't just transferred to appease people, but was transferred because he's been the only one actually worthy of being transferred. Not sure what the SHSL skill will be, but probably something meta like "SHSL Determination" or "SHSL Ambition".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
SHSL inadequacy? :v:

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
SHSL Memory, that's how he remembers all the important evidence that everyone else forgets in ten seconds.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
SHSL Alfalfa.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If DR3 happens, I want one of the students to be extraordinarily incompetent and untalented. In fact, they are the most unlikely to ever get into hope's peak, and thus they were admitted! :pseudo:

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 21, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

CodfishCartographer posted:

If DR3 happens, I want one of the students to be extraordinarily incompetent and I talented. In fact, they are the most unlikely to ever get into hope's peak, and thus they were admitted! :pseudo:

Isn't that just SHSL Luck again?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Alien Arcana posted:

Komaeda is perfectly competent.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Alien Arcana posted:

Luck picks out a random untalented person by random. What he's proposing is a person who is so unnaturally incompetent at everything that it becomes a talent in its own right. Legitimately and purposefully selected because he is unable to do anything right. Flip a coin and ask him what it is? He'll do it wrong every time except for the times where you're counting on him doing it wrong.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

CodfishCartographer posted:

If DR3 happens, I want one of the students to be extraordinarily incompetent and I talented. In fact, they are the most unlikely to ever get into hope's peak, and thus they were admitted! :pseudo:

You mean when it comes out right?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SirKibbles posted:

You mean when it comes out right?

Didn't realize it was being worked on! I mean I kinda figured it'd happen, but.

Also whoops I meant to say 'untalented' in my post up earlier, stupid auto-correct.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The DR shooter spinoff trailer at Tokyo Game Show teased DR3 if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

The DR shooter spinoff trailer at Tokyo Game Show teased DR3 if I recall.

At the end it said something like "Also, 3".

• Locked thread