Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LmaoTheKid posted:

So, uh, WTF did I miss here? I moved my London office over to our new email server and outlook just picked up the change automatically. Is this the fabled improvements made to RPC or something in one of the Service Packs?

you're doing it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

that's normal and that's why you keep the old exchange server up for a while after the migration - outlook clients that hit the old server will be informed of the new one.

So odd. Everything I read said that unless you were using a CAS (even with one host) that you'd have to go and touch every client individually. I'm certainly not complaining! This was 2010 to 2010.

Gyshall posted:

you're doing it right

:3: Thanks!

One more question, how does it work with Blackberry? Should I wait to migrate my remaining BB users and then point the BES server at the new email server? Or will it proxy the request to the other server?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Move all your BES users (and besadmin account) at once and then point BES to new server. As long as you're on 2010 shouldn't have to do anything else. it took us a long time with RIM support to get BES working after migration to 2013 because 2013 doesn't do MAPI. The resolution was reinstalling a bunch of poo poo in a specific order (of course) that wasn't documented very well anywhere (of course).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

So odd. Everything I read said that unless you were using a CAS (even with one host) that you'd have to go and touch every client individually. I'm certainly not complaining! This was 2010 to 2010.

only if the old exchange server is no longer accessible. so you will have to do that for users who are on vacation or have their computers off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LmaoTheKid posted:

:3: Thanks!

One more question, how does it work with Blackberry? Should I wait to migrate my remaining BB users and then point the BES server at the new email server? Or will it proxy the request to the other server?

set the blackberry server on fire.

I actually don't know exactly how it works, but I have had to deploy a new BES server and then use the Enterprise Migration Tool from RIM to move the users between the two servers.

I loving hate blackberry and have mandated Blackberry 10 everywhere I can, though, which uses the ActiveSync standard like any sane phone would.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Move all your BES users (and besadmin account) at once and then point BES to new server. As long as you're on 2010 shouldn't have to do anything else. it took us a long time with RIM support to get BES working after migration to 2013 because 2013 doesn't do MAPI. The resolution was reinstalling a bunch of poo poo in a specific order (of course) that wasn't documented very well anywhere (of course).

Ok, since they're spread over different offices, I'll leave them for last.

only if the old exchange server is no longer accessible. so you will have to do that for users who are on vacation or have their computers off.

Great, I don't plan on shutting that serve roff for another month and I'll have everyone moved over by then. Thanks!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

don't forget public folders

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

don't forget public folders

Already replicating. And OAB has been moved too.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
loving Exchange. I've got a new user who just will not show up in my address lists / OAB. The OAB contains the address list in question, the Address List Preview shows the particular user, I've forced regeneration of the address lists and OAB (with logging turned up - nothing worrisome), taken Outlook in/out of Cached Exchange Mode, and verified that the user doesn't even show up in the lists via OWA. I don't know what the hell's preventing this user from showing up.

No, "Hide from address lists" is not checked.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mierdaan posted:

loving Exchange. I've got a new user who just will not show up in my address lists / OAB. The OAB contains the address list in question, the Address List Preview shows the particular user, I've forced regeneration of the address lists and OAB (with logging turned up - nothing worrisome), taken Outlook in/out of Cached Exchange Mode, and verified that the user doesn't even show up in the lists via OWA. I don't know what the hell's preventing this user from showing up.

Can the user open their mailbox?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

Get-Mailbox user | select OfflineAddressBook,AddressListMembership,AddressBookPolicy

Are these populated?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

The Electronaut posted:

Can the user open their mailbox?

Not sure, they haven't started yet, but I don't have any reason to assume they can't.

Will Styles posted:

Get-Mailbox user | select OfflineAddressBook,AddressListMembership,AddressBookPolicy

Are these populated?

OfflineAddressBook isn't, but their ABP is which contains an OAB.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
As to my issue with this one user, I'll try checking their Recover Deleted Items again when/if it happens.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

OfflineAddressBook isn't, but their ABP is which contains an OAB.

What about AddressListMembership? If they don't have at least one address list listed in this property they won't appear in the address book at all. Specifically for the GAL your global address list needs to be listed here (Exchange default being "\Defaul Global Address List")

If it is null then simply hiding/unhinding the user should fix it since you can't modify this attribute directly in powershell.

Edit: vv Well that's just odd :(

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 10, 2014

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Will Styles posted:

What about AddressListMembership? If they don't have at least one address list listed in this property they won't appear in the address book at all. Specifically for the GAL your global address list needs to be listed here (Exchange default being "\Defaul Global Address List")

If it is null then simply hiding/unhinding the user should fix it since you can't modify this attribute directly in powershell.

AddressListMembership wasn't blank, they were members of several groups - including our org's GAL.

I ended up spending like 2 hours looking at this before I just blew away the user's account and reprovisioned it using exactly the same script; works fine now. :iiam:

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Jeoh posted:

Don't send RTF emails.

Check. However, it was easier for us to work around the problem than having to tell our clients to change something in their mail system.

Next up is parsing and expanding email attachments, as in when an actual email is sent as an attachment in another email. Also very common among Outlook users, who often wants to forward an email with attachments to us, but somehow manage to send the original email as an attachment instead.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MW posted:

. Also very common among Outlook users, who often wants to forward an email with attachments to us, but somehow manage to send the original email as an attachment instead.

There are legit reasons for doing this though.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ive got a weird one I wonder if someone could help me identify the issue: We had a company we manage have a problem with the storage yesterday. Long story short Exchange came back up corrupt so we did an instant recovery via veeam to the last available backup. Everything seemingly came back online fine. Problem is this morning we have an issue where outlook will not load on the remote desktop servers for this company. Also outlook will not load a new mail profile on a fat client. Specifically when opening outlook the users are getting a prompt to enter their username and password. When they do they get a message indicating the server is unavailable. The only errors we can see are on the exchange server in the security log. Its throwing some audit failures for these accounts indicating bad username or password, but thats not the case. No other errors really indicate whats going on. Real strange and making us beat our heads against the wall

Syano fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 17, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I've not really had much experience troubleshooting exchange but one of my users is having an issue on her newly transferred mac. I believe time machine was used to transfer her from her old mac to her new one (if that is relevant.) After that her outlook had duplicates of all of her old emails and she is getting a continual error about not being able to create a mailbox. She isn't getting new duplicate emails it was just all of her old ones. Any ideas? Google seems mostly focused on getting sent duplicates instead of duplicates having been created and I can't really find anything about this error.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Syano posted:

Ive got a weird one I wonder if someone could help me identify the issue: We had a company we manage have a problem with the storage yesterday. Long story short Exchange came back up corrupt so we did an instant recovery via veeam to the last available backup. Everything seemingly came back online fine. Problem is this morning we have an issue where outlook will not load on the remote desktop servers for this company. Also outlook will not load a new mail profile on a fat client. Specifically when opening outlook the users are getting a prompt to enter their username and password. When they do they get a message indicating the server is unavailable. The only errors we can see are on the exchange server in the security log. Its throwing some audit failures for these accounts indicating bad username or password, but thats not the case. No other errors really indicate whats going on. Real strange and making us beat our heads against the wall
I'm suspecting you have some cached Kerberos tickets with tokens that no longer exist on the Exchange server, and Windows is doing something dumb as it tries to reuse them. If this is the case, and you have the default Kerberos ticket lifetime of 10 hours, this issue has most likely cleared itself up already. If not, try clearing all cached Kerberos user tickets on the Outlook client system and try again.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
When I was in high school it was my dad's job to implement exchange into the pentagons network.

he really hated exchange

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

I'm suspecting you have some cached Kerberos tickets with tokens that no longer exist on the Exchange server, and Windows is doing something dumb as it tries to reuse them. If this is the case, and you have the default Kerberos ticket lifetime of 10 hours, this issue has most likely cleared itself up already. If not, try clearing all cached Kerberos user tickets on the Outlook client system and try again.

This may have been it. That being said we got it licked by futzing around with the preferred domain controllers for the Exchange server. We assigned one specifically and then everything started working

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Syano posted:

This may have been it. That being said we got it licked by futzing around with the preferred domain controllers for the Exchange server. We assigned one specifically and then everything started working
Your Exchange server isn't also a domain controller, is it?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Your Exchange server isn't also a domain controller, is it?

Negative. Stranger still is we migrated the server back to production storage and now have no issues whatsoever. I'm thinking you're correct about cached Kerberos creds

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'm trying to automate a PST export for a mailbox within a date range using New-MailboxExportRequest. I'm using Exchange 2010 SP3.

code:
$a = (get-date -year 2013 -month 12 -day 21 -hour 23 -minute 59 -second 59)
$b = (get-date -year 2013 -month 12 -day 27 -hour 0 -minute 0 -second 0)

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter {(Received -le $b) -and (received -ge $a) } -Mailbox “User”  -FilePath "\\server\share\export.pst"
When I run this script, I get the entire mailbox instead of the period I specify.

If I just put in the raw dates instead of the $a and $b variables, It says it cannot convert the string into a valid DateTime. Our date format is DD/MM/YYYY which might make a difference?

Not sure if this is an Exchange or Powershell specific query.

Swink fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this any good?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...esvradminlegacy

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That post seems to be my exact issue but the resolution does not work for me.

code:
$begin = '12/10/2013'
$end = '12/17/2013'

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter "(Received -gt '$begin') -and (Received -lt '$end')" -Mailbox user -FilePath \\server\share\file.pst
ContentFilter is invalid. The value "17/12/2013 12:00:00 AM" could not be converted to type System.DateTime.

This is maddening.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Swink posted:

That post seems to be my exact issue but the resolution does not work for me.

code:
$begin = '12/10/2013'
$end = '12/17/2013'

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter "(Received -gt '$begin') -and (Received -lt '$end')" -Mailbox user -FilePath \\server\share\file.pst
ContentFilter is invalid. The value "17/12/2013 12:00:00 AM" could not be converted to type System.DateTime.

This is maddening.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730960.aspx

Try that. Save the dates as a get-date to get the object.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
"After some additional testing I found that regardless of server regional settings Exchange Management Shell always performs data check assuming US English date format (MM/DD/YYYY). You can't simply use US English format in a command as a workaround as actual cmdlet does respect system's regional settings (that's why first example exports all May 2012 emails, not 5 January 2012).

Here a couple of possible workarounds:

One way to get around this is only use days between 1 and 12 in the command.
if you can't do this, you can temporarily change server's regional settings to US English. Restart Exchange Management Shell and run command using US date format.
"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Well that would explain things as I have been successful getting an export of the 1st to the 7th to work, but not the 8th to the 15th using the exact same syntax.

Nitr0 posted:

temporarily change server's regional settings to US English.

Is doing this likely to have an adverse affect on the users?

As for saving the dates as Objects, when I use Get-Date in place of the date string, it omits the dates entirely - ContentFilter : ((Received -ne $null) -and (Received -ne $null))

Swink fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 21, 2014

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

Our company just upgraded everyone from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 mailboxes. Apparently the Exchange server name value changes to some Hex Code in 2013 and it hosed up the Outlook 2010 client for hundreds of people. We had to manually delete and re-create outlook profiles for a ton of people to fix it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

kareltherobot posted:

Our company just upgraded everyone from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 mailboxes. Apparently the Exchange server name value changes to some Hex Code in 2013 and it hosed up the Outlook 2010 client for hundreds of people. We had to manually delete and re-create outlook profiles for a ton of people to fix it.

Your company must not have followed the upgrade path documentation very well then!

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 21, 2014

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kareltherobot posted:

When you say "it hosed up the outlook 2010 client" what actually happened?

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Looking to switch from intermedia, to exchange online(365). On paper, it looks like it's going to save us about $5k a year, with about 50 users coming over. To anyone using exchange online, how do you like it?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Is there a way to view if/when a user deletes his own mail? I enabled mailbox auditing on the mailbox in question and from ECP it looks like the auditing is mainly for seeing if other users or admins did anything to the account. Where, if anywhere, can I see changes that the user has made to his own mail? I've had a guy complaining he hasn't been getting certain emails from internal and external people, when I see the emails on our mail archiver

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Is your archiver pulling in the email because of journaling? If so then the fact that its in your archive IS your audit trail... or at least should be good enough to be

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Syano posted:

Is your archiver pulling in the email because of journaling? If so then the fact that its in your archive IS your audit trail... or at least should be good enough to be
Yes. Hell, I even pull the messages using the message tracking tool. It would just be nice to be able to actually have proof that the guy deleted it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

goobernoodles posted:

Is there a way to view if/when a user deletes his own mail? I enabled mailbox auditing on the mailbox in question and from ECP it looks like the auditing is mainly for seeing if other users or admins did anything to the account. Where, if anywhere, can I see changes that the user has made to his own mail? I've had a guy complaining he hasn't been getting certain emails from internal and external people, when I see the emails on our mail archiver

If on 2010 or higher could via powershell search the mailbox dumpster. Be careful depending on your org's or country's data privacy policies.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

scanlonman posted:

Looking to switch from intermedia, to exchange online(365). On paper, it looks like it's going to save us about $5k a year, with about 50 users coming over. To anyone using exchange online, how do you like it?

I got Exchange online for my company of two people and I've had no trouble with it, we also use it at a customer with about 10 users, again no real issues. Any specific questions you like for me to answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
so I have run across a bug in Exchange 2007 - took forever to figure out the cause, seems like it still exists in Exchange 2010 as well. Anyway, turns out if users have over 20k messages in their inboxes and connect to exchange using the IMAP protocol, it will shoot the CPU percentage up to 100%, killing the server. Have been able to fix it by having users delete messages.

While I know that it is possible to impose email limits like total size of mailbox, is there anyway to limit the number of items users are able to store in folders? I would like to set this at around 10k or so, but I can't seem to find a way to do it.