Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mutation posted:

I don't care if Gwyn's fight was rushed. It's such a somber fight with such a beautiful tune.

The music, his bedraggled appearance and the title "lord of cinder" are all nice low-exposition touches. One of the nice things about Dark Souls is the difference between expectations and reality re: the gods. The projection of Gwynevere is huge and majestic, but all the gods you actually see (Gwyn, Gwyndolin, Solaire?) are human-sized, and not that impressive.

Edit: I think Patrick could smoke this guy if he just 2-handed it and went to town, Vinny-style.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't exactly call Gwyn human sized. He's like ten feet tall. Human shaped for sure.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Patrick should try the VinnCo™ approved method of going blow for blow.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Gwyn human sized. He's like ten feet tall. Human shaped for sure.

Gwyn and many of the others, like his knights and Ornstein and Artorias, are from a not-quite-human race that the game never actually names, besides referring to some of them as Gods. Usually I've just gotten used to calling them "Lords" considering that "Lordran" is the place they're from.

But yeah, if you just go the normal route through the game, a whole lot of the plot exposition is misleading as hell.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I'm going to have to watch those lore videos.

Also play through this game on PC before GFWL shuts down.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

It would be wise for From Software to patch DS to work without GFWL since we have until March for the sequel to come out. Loss of all the hype and marketing from streamers would possibly slow down sales for the new game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hansen85 posted:

Wow, that transcript is horrifyingly creepy.

Yes, how dare she say that Nazis had good fashion sense. I can't believe so many people still bring this up.

Yes, she got drunk and loud (she wasn't alone though), but the Nazis knew how to dress well and it's okay to say so. Get over yourself, Internet.

I wouldn't call the Bombcast a bro podcast though...

She was loud, obnoxious, said they were "sexy" not just fashionable, and Ryan at one point actually called her a sociopath.

This idiot "reporter" is much worse, but I don't think she's right seeing as the reaction to this has been way bigger and more talked about than her being kind of an idiot on a podcast.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Holy gently caress Patrick just did the most clutch parry.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

gently caress YEAH! Patrick parried him to death!

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Optimus Subprime posted:

It would be wise for From Software to patch DS to work without GFWL since we have until March for the sequel to come out. Loss of all the hype and marketing from streamers would possibly slow down sales for the new game.

A nice list of GFWL games that will/may/won't be updated

Dead Rising 2 :(

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
YOU DEFEATED

Gwyn is so soft to parrying. Congrats Patrick.

e:Noooo he relit the flame!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think D___ Souls is always at it's best when you are fighting a human sized boss.

But yeah there is as said a big difference between going "Man Hugo Boss could design some awesome suits!" and "Nazi's are sexy." Also why did that PR lady keep talking to a guy who is going on about banging her? And did that guy really then just say he's not responsible for what he did cause he was drunk which should excuses him completely?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Patrick picked the wrong ending :goleft:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Patrick's no Dark Lord :colbert:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Boo Patrick chose the lame ending, way to do just what the dumb gods wanted you to do. All hail Dark Lord Vinny.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Pro parries from Scoops.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Depths posted:

Holy gently caress Patrick just did the most clutch parry.

That clutch parry and pulling off a double Estus flask on the one before it. Solid way to finish the game.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I don't think any Capcom game is going to be saved, right? I'm guessing it's because Capcom no longer works with the porting company and like hell if they know how poo poo works, or are willing to learn.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

If this was Polygon, Patrick would retroactively put Dark Souls into his 2011 (2012?) top 10.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mutation posted:

I don't think any Capcom game is going to be saved, right? I'm guessing it's because Capcom no longer works with the porting company and like hell if they know how poo poo works, or are willing to learn.

I'm guessing it's because Capcom loving sucks.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Optimus Subprime posted:

If this was Polygon, Patrick would retroactively put Dark Souls into his 2011 (2012?) top 10.
An argument for Polygon if I ever heard one!

edit: Hopefully their solution for Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is for the dev team to go back and make a new build, one with an actual resolution setting and uncapped framerate.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 21, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

What the gently caress, they made PC GFWL versions of halo 2 and gears?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dark Souls confirmed as GiantBomb's True GOTY 2011.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Mutation posted:

They're getting rid of it in SSIVAE*.

*if you buy the Ultra edition upgrade DLC that is.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

What the gently caress, they made PC GFWL versions of halo 2 and gears?

What, you don't remember Halo 2 requiring DirectX 10 (and therefore Vista) for no reason?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mutation posted:

You have to buy the full price capcomspansion that adds one dude/area and removes GFWL

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, gently caress Capcom then!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VDay posted:

Dark Souls confirmed as GiantBomb's True GOTY 2011.

Even after this I don't think anything was going to break the Brad filibuster for Skyrim.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Saint Freak posted:

You have to buy the full price capcomspansion that adds one dude/area and removes GFWL

You're not talking about talking about Ultra, are you?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tae posted:

You're not talking about talking about Ultra, are you?

Every Capcom property in general.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Arstan posted:

http://joshmattingly.tumblr.com/

Summary: "Here's my excuse, but please don't read it as an excuse. I just felt a need to find an excuse because I'm really a Nice Guy."

Personal tragedy goes hand in hand with living. It's a shame the guy couldn't just offer a heartfelt apology without making himself in to the victim.

I'm just going to leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vvcQs2wsn4&t=81s

Also from the comments:

quote:

GuamThatsGood1 year ago

Josh is a creeper. Lol jk.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Mr. Klepek is so happy at the jump

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This is the Year of the Klepek

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Saint Freak posted:

Every Capcom property in general.

Ultra is a pretty substantial upgrade, I would say more than Enemy Within added to its base game and at a cheaper cost.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GTA IV is the one on that list which surprises me the most. I can't believe they'd just let the PC version of that disappear.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It's not like the games are suddenly going to disappear or just completely stop working. You can still play them, you just won't be able to log into live anymore so you'll be stuck with an offline profile.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Ultra is a pretty substantial upgrade, I would say more than Enemy Within added to its base game and at a cheaper cost.

Enemy Within fundamentally changed the way you go through the XCOM campaign, and ended up being way more substantial than it sounded on paper. Ultra is five new characters, four of which are ripped from SFxT, and a final one which might be a palette swap for all we know. Yeah, there's a ton of balancing to do, but no one other than the most hardcore will buy this thing at full price.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

GTA IV is the one on that list which surprises me the most. I can't believe they'd just let the PC version of that disappear.

If Rockstar cared about PC gaming we'd have a port of Red Dead and GTA5 by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

It's in the unknown category rather than the "not updating" category. I don't imagine it will go away.

• Locked thread