Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

For what its worth, I use a very simple Postfix server for all my VPS system mails, and have had zero problems with it.
I would, however, probably never use it for "real" email because thats so cheap to get hosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xtal posted:

I heard this a lot before setting up my own server and it made me really unsure about it, but after spending a (terrible) night setting it up there's been virtually nil maintenance needed for the last year. I could recommend hosting your own server.

This argument (maintenance) comes from the crowd that sends lots of emails and needs to worry about blacklists as well as those who suddenly needed to worry about SPF or get junked as spam on gmail and others. When your primary job isn't "keep up on email security requirements to not get marked as spam", email isn't worth the hassle.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations for cheap dedicated servers in USWest that isn't Las Vegas? I need to pick up 10-20 machines for a high traffic production site that is just a nonprofit hobby/pet project.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

Any recommendations for cheap dedicated servers in USWest that isn't Las Vegas? I need to pick up 10-20 machines for a high traffic production site that is just a nonprofit hobby/pet project.

There are a couple providers in Phoenix that should be able to help you out. I don't know how well you're going to be able to mix "cheap" and 10-20 dedicated machines in a hosting facility though.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 17, 2014

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for mail hosts? This isn't for business - more like a pro-sumer type and attempting to de-googlefy things a bit.

About 6 months ago I switched all my personal email from Google Apps to http://fastmail.fm

Initial setup was a bit confusing but the docs are very good (they actually have support as well but never thought to use them)

Webmail interface is incredible, I much prefer it to Gmail. They've built it in house and it's extremely fast - way better than OWA or Horde or whatever.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

About 6 months ago I switched all my personal email from Google Apps to http://fastmail.fm

Initial setup was a bit confusing but the docs are very good (they actually have support as well but never thought to use them)

Webmail interface is incredible, I much prefer it to Gmail. They've built it in house and it's extremely fast - way better than OWA or Horde or whatever.

Do they offer some kind of push email connection? Or is it just standard fetch IMAP?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was previously recommended here to set up Google Analytics for my wife's blog, and after he initial skepticism, she now watches it like it's some kind of crisis center control panel. Or rather, the live data is just too tasty to look away sometimes. She's experiencing a lot of direct traffic, which makes her skeptical. She was first assuming it just meant somebody somewhere was linking her stuff on some forums so everybody was making fun of it or something. It sounds instead like there are various technicalities that can cause stuff to become direct traffic. She's using a WordPress plugin to handle the analytics. Is there anything for which we should be checking?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Granite Octopus posted:

How does it do with spam?

In general, I've moved all of my mail over to Google Apps strictly because attempting to handle spam using any other hosted solution has become a pointless exercise in futility, at least so far as shared hosted goes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Killer_B posted:

In general, I've moved all of my mail over to Google Apps strictly because attempting to handle spam using any other hosted solution has become a pointless exercise in futility, at least so far as shared hosted goes.

gmail manages to let through 2-3 spams a day for me. why?

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
WTFDNS seems to have completely poo poo the bed. :bravo:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Spectracide posted:

Wasn't it a free service?

Edit: or wait, was that WTFdns. Either way, it's both goon owned isn't it? :(

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 20, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spectracide posted:

"How We Work. We have designed our DNS systems to be as fault tolerant as possible. Even if one piece of our infrastructure does go down we are still able to serve ..."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Wasn't it a free service?

Edit: or wait, was that WTFdns. Either way, it's both goon owned isn't it? :(

Yep, it's free, goon-run, and has been flaky as hell lately (seemingly from when they switched from branding it as WTFDNS to AbiDNS).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I think I switched my DNS to HE.net, or at least I must have because it's still working.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bob Morales posted:

I think I switched my DNS to HE.net, or at least I must have because it's still working.

Yea, I have multiple domain names all utilizing dns.he.net. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a stable, free dns host.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

Yea, I have multiple domain names all utilizing dns.he.net. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a stable, free dns host.

Unfortunately they don't support wildcard dns records at all, and explicitly tell you so when you ask support to add one (or offer to pay for it too)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you're willing or able to run your own primary DNS, buddyns.com runs a very nice secondary service for free*.

* - based on query volume, but high enough that you probably don't need to worry. Otherwise it's like $2/mo.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
The restrictions on dns.he.net (no wildcard records, some RR types not supported) don't apply to their secondary DNS service

so you could also run your own authoritative DNS server and configure dns.he.net to replicate it as a slave

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Killer_B posted:

Surprisingly excellent actually. It doesn't silently delete any as far as I know. I probably end up with about 3-5 a day in my junk mailbox, and it has been 100% accurate at picking up spam, and no false positives.

Way, way better than I was expecting. YMMV of course.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Linode posted this today:

Network improvements coming I'd bet.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Anyone got good experience with Digitalocean? Recently my RamNode VPS got suspended for "CPU abuse" even though I haven't touched it in forever, and I heard digitalocean is pretty good.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I get a lot of packetloss or downtime enough to make monitoring bitch at me, half of the locations are disabled due to no capacity or something, no IPv6 [they told me it would be available in 2012. repeatedly.], no custom OS

If you just want to run an irc client or something go wild. Anything serious don't bother.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I really like DigitalOcean, but I don't do anything serious (none of the sites I host are particularly important or popular).

I think the interface, knowledge base and price make it a great choice for babby's first vps. (probably not relevant for Cowabanga)

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Milkie Galore posted:

The restrictions on dns.he.net (no wildcard records, some RR types not supported) don't apply to their secondary DNS service

so you could also run your own authoritative DNS server and configure dns.he.net to replicate it as a slave

dns.he.net did not work for me as a slave with DNSSEC. My domain never validated. Instead I setup Gandi as my secondary and it worked fine.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I like DO, but all I use it for is ssh tunneling and occasional testing of inane things that I want to test off my work's network.

Not sure that I'd entrust anything critical to them, but it's certainly worth the $5 I spend.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I use DO for irssi and some other small stuff. You get what you pay for at $5/mo. There was that horrible networking problem they had in NY a couple months back but since then I haven't had any issues.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I used DO for several months while learning CentOS, Puppet, and general CJ stuff. That was with 1 $5 droplet, and 3 $10 droplets. Never had any issues.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Well I host a private VPN, a shitton of vhosts, a mailserver, an rear end in a top hat PHP script that hogs at least 200mb of RAM (vbulltein) and that's pretty much the most noticable things. Am I better off with something better than DO?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You should probably just use linode.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

astr0man posted:

Pretty costy for only 1GB. I'm on a tight-ish budget, I used to pay $10.50 a month for my Ramnode VPS (with coupon applied)

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

astr0man posted:

For someone who's only used DO, can you explain the advantages/features of Linode?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Linode has more datacenter options, and in my experience better support and network infrastructure than DO. Like I said before, I use DO now for small personal stuff and I've been completely happy with it, but if I needed to run an actual production server for something on a VPS I would still use linode.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I run all my backup stuff (backup DNS, etc) at DO because it's cheap. Everything production, I run at Linode. I had an Ubuntu update (simple do-release-upgrade) make my DO box unbootable and they didn't have the CLI/boot CD support to be able to recover it. I had to rollback 24 hours to an old snapshot. Linode gives you the choice of kernel and full control over your box remotely.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

feld posted:

dns.he.net did not work for me as a slave with DNSSEC. My domain never validated. Instead I setup Gandi as my secondary and it worked fine.

interesting - perhaps there are still some dnssec-related RRs they don't support

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cowabanga posted:

Anyone got good experience with Digitalocean? Recently my RamNode VPS got suspended for "CPU abuse" even though I haven't touched it in forever, and I heard digitalocean is pretty good.

You should check out your VPS to make sure you weren't hit by a spambot/malware. If you weren't really using it and suddenly you were triggering their monitoring services then something is probably up.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Cowabanga posted:

You didn't happen to be running Kloxo, did you

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

text editor posted:

In case anyone is wondering about this, here's an email I got from BuyVM earlier today.

BuyVM Staff posted:

Earlier today, we experienced a large number of nodes in Las Vegas
continually resetting for no apparent reason. You may or may not have had
services affected by this - but even if you did not, please read the
entirety of this email as it contains a new update on what we'll allow
clients to host.

There is a new vulnerability for Kloxo panels - this exploit allows the
panel to be used as part of a DDoS attack against a remote service.
Unfortunately, the number of Kloxo panels hosted on our Las Vegas OpenVZ
nodes was sufficient to cause quite a few nodes to seize up from the sheer
volume of outbound connections, and reset themselves. While KVM/Storage
nodes are immune to the resets, there is still the issue of Kloxo panels
being used for DDoS attacks.

At this time, Kloxo has been added to our 'banned services' list for the
forseeable future (regardless of node type), and we are currently taking
precautions to disable all existing installs. We apologize for the
inconvenience this may cause, but until the Kloxo team can guarantee this
issue won't repeat itself, we simply cannot take the chance of exploitable
software on our network. Please be aware that this does mean running Kloxo
after this announcement has circulated will be considered an intentional
violation of our Acceptable Usage Policy, under resource abuse. We simply
cannot take the risk of clients being affected like this again.

In time, we may feel that the Kloxo panel has been sufficiently secured, and
allow the service again. But this will not take place until we are
thoroughly convinced that such a major incident cannot be repeated.
Currently, all affected nodes are being brought back online, and the VPSes
powered up.

I apologize again for all of the trouble this caused today - if you have any
questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

---
Aldryic C'boäs,
Frantech Staff

They sent a followup. If you've got a file named "default.php" with md5: b6ff2c0806efd543d1e18e694e70ee34, you got hit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cowabanga posted:

Well I host a private VPN, a shitton of vhosts, a mailserver, an rear end in a top hat PHP script that hogs at least 200mb of RAM (vbulltein) and that's pretty much the most noticable things. Am I better off with something better than DO?

You might find something catches your eye at http://lowendbox.com/

I'm on chicago VPS for $7/mo, 2GB mem/50GB disk/2TB traffic openvz vps

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Salt Fish posted:

You should check out your VPS to make sure you weren't hit by a spambot/malware. If you weren't really using it and suddenly you were triggering their monitoring services then something is probably up.

Fairly sure it's not infected. Apparently I'm not allowed to use more than 0.9% of the CPU for extended periods of times (not sure how bad that is when it comes to VPS's... are they overselling?). I'll wipe the server clean and reinstall everything just to be safe.

text editor posted:

No.

ass fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I have a :rice: question.

I need to do some external speed testing, and so I'm looking to set up an AWS instance or a by-the-hour VPS that has 10 Gbps internet speed. We have a 10 Gbps circuit at the datacenter, so I need 10 Gbps from the instance/VPS to test with. We've already gone the distributed route (aggregating Azure instances) but I'd like to test with one big box + iperf. Anyone have any recommendations on a good host with 10 Gbps speeds?