Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Spikey posted:

Judging by their reactions, I think Annie might be seeing something completely different than what Kat is seeing.

Nah, Annie's just never been to a halloween party before. This is all new and exciting for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Daktar posted:

Nah, Annie's just never been to a halloween party before. This is all new and exciting for her.

"Sands of Zanzibar! You see an office building?
"You don't?"
"I see a field - wild, overgrown, barbaric. Look over there! A feral rabbit."
"Seriously?"
"No, I see an office building."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Truly, the Middleman died before his time.

I think Mort's "Heh" is more pride than a prank.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Someone needs to animate this.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Someone needs to animate this.
Hm, maybe scale it up to A4 size and make it into a door decoration? Glue it onto some cardboard first though, grade-school arts and crafts style!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"They look like paper cutouts to you?"

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

This one would be good with some kind of comment about the previous post. I'd get it if it weren't for my love of Caped Baldy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

:yohoho:

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

This is really great.

I hope their "credentials" involve having to make a scary face. That's how you know someone is a ghost!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Just noticed that Kat is wearing a Vault-Tec tshirt. Has she worn that before?

Also Annie's hair seems to have a gradient to it. Is there a greenish glow coming from below, or is she perhaps going a bit elemental on us?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Paracelsus posted:

Also Annie's hair seems to have a gradient to it. Is there a greenish glow coming from below, or is she perhaps going a bit elemental on us?

It's just the lighting. You can see the gradient on Kat's shirt too.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
We're so sorry skeletons are so misunderstood,
They just wanna socialize, but I don't think we should!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Does anyone else get the impression that the skull always faces that way?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Does anyone else get the impression that the skull always faces that way?

It's pretty clearly a paper cutout, so.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

I'd claim this if I didn't post so infrequently. Nobody would ever see it.

...But its so :spooky:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Mort keeps saying his job is important, doesn't he? A sure sign that it isn't. In fact, this poorly crafted "realm" is quite certainly an illusion he created to keep himself (relatively) sane. After years and years of a meaningless post-mortem existence, he believes it to be true, of course; being an important operative of an important organization is so much better than being an unwanted soul trapped in a dilapidated school.

Annie's too dumb to realize this, but Kat sees through it all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This reminds me of the mariachi skeleton from "El Kabong Rides Again"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFzecvnx1JU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I think Annie and Mort definitely see something different than Kat, due to their connection to the aether, which she lacks. Great page. Sliiiide.

Edit: Blackheart, that is a great job. The extra little jiggle to the iris makes it perfect.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Foolish paper skeletal gatekeeper, don't you recognise the Mother of Robots when you see her? I hope this doesn't cause trouble for Kat. :ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, while we don't know exactly what skull-dude is doing, apparently Kat now bears the mark of the creator in some form besides merely having it etched upon her walls. That is interesting in its implications; at the least it seems to suggest that certain theories in this thread have some credibility.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Mark of the Creator, as the one who gives life, has no place in the Realm of The Dead.
But we've seen the Creator take life as well... maybe it's a good moment to remind that. Or just make Kat a Robot Afterlife Guide.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My take on the comic: Annie and Kat couldn't have even entered the realm of the dead without some sort of authorization, even if Mort opened the door for them. "No guests", after all. Annie appears to have three different sorts of authorization, two which we recognize: the Gillitie sign authorization, the sign for Antimony which I assume is her afterlife guide authorization, and a third. I'm guessing that's a pass due to her Fire Elemental heritage?

Kat has one too, though. I am guessing that is because she is the official afterlife guide of robots now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So there's what Zimmy saw (sees?) and now this. Have there been any other solid indications that Kat is or will be Somebody Important?

Her little daydream with Annie on the rooftop seems like it could be. But it also could just be her being really smart and mechanically-minded and daydreaming.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh snap. Taking her mom into the ether made Annie a psychopomp? Just how long has owl dude been grooming her to take care of Jeanne?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

So there's what Zimmy saw (sees?) and now this. Have there been any other solid indications that Kat is or will be Somebody Important?

Well, the robots worship her, and that belief apparently is having some effect on the her in the ether.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, the robots worship her, and that belief apparently is having some effect on the her in the ether.
Is it their belief or her actions, at this point? I don't think they have the capacity to effect the ether, not yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

Is it their belief or her actions, at this point? I don't think they have the capacity to effect the ether, not yet.

Well, the Realm of the Dead is almost certainly ethereal in nature, and we're seeing the Mark of the Creator, which has no significance except to the robots, in it, called up by a pretty-much-definitely-ethereal... Whatever the skull guy is. Unless there's some unknown force we don't know about that's also viewing Kat the way the robots do, it's pretty much a given this has to do with the robots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wittgen posted:

Oh snap. Taking her mom into the ether made Annie a psychopomp? Just how long has owl dude been grooming her to take care of Jeanne?

My first thought was more the kind of stuff that she did for the kid in the hospital, but who knows.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Annie's face in panel 5 looks amazingly well drawn

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

JT Jag posted:

My take on the comic: Annie and Kat couldn't have even entered the realm of the dead without some sort of authorization, even if Mort opened the door for them. "No guests", after all. Annie appears to have three different sorts of authorization, two which we recognize: the Gillitie sign authorization, the sign for Antimony which I assume is her afterlife guide authorization, and a third. I'm guessing that's a pass due to her Fire Elemental heritage?
Yep, the little crown tends to pop up when fire elemental stuff is going on, so that's got to be what it's about.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Oh, that much is obvious. I meant like, what other Signs have appeared in the comic so far.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's not junk, gosh. Rude.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
With the way skull secretary is being drawn, I think both eyes are squinting and opening, and the pupils are doing some crazy bouncing around.

This is important to me.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

JT Jag posted:

Seems kind of a little bit like some evidence pointing towards Coyote being right. The belief effecting the ether happens somewhat outside of time.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This was a really great page despite how simple it was in terms of action. :3: Also I love that the skull guy is actually 2-dimensional like a Halloween window decoration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I wonder if the RotD is really this ridiculous, or if it's just because Mort is guiding them, so they're seeing it warped through his perspective. Either way, I look forward to more paper skeletons and spooooooooky pumpkins, sheet ghosts, and plastic spiders.

Also something about this chapter keeps reminding me of Halloween parties at elementary school, and giving me a craving for bad grocery store cupcakes, which seemed to be the perennial food at those things.