Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Patrick did a really good job on the O&S fight. I'm watching that part now. My only criticism is that he'd finish the Smough fight in half the time if he remembered his R2 shot a ranged projectile attack. He's pretty tricky to get up close and person as a melee guy and that would have helped him plenty. But man, I never seen someone so happy and satisfied playing a game. Such a genuine thing sense of accomplishment. Too bad no one played the game when it came out or else it would have been a serious contender for Game of the Year. Skyrim was good but it lacked any real sense of accomplishment like Dark Souls gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Enemy Within fundamentally changed the way you go through the XCOM campaign, and ended up being way more substantial than it sounded on paper. Ultra is five new characters, four of which are ripped from SFxT, and a final one which might be a palette swap for all we know. Yeah, there's a ton of balancing to do, but no one other than the most hardcore will buy this thing at full price.

If you own the game it's not full price, it's a dlc 15 bucks. If you don't own any version they're gonna sell one with all the DLC for 40 (30 for P.C. months later) bucks. It's the same thing they've been doing for years, what are you on about?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Studio posted:

It's in the unknown category rather than the "not updating" category. I don't imagine it will go away.

Yeah, I imagine this is more in the "Rockstar does not loving talk to anybody ever, especially not a guy from Joystiq" camp, then the "Rockstar are going to leave people hanging" camp.

^^^^^ Dead Rising 2, Off the Record, and RE5 at least need to do a phone home before they start working. If they can't connect to the GFWL servers they won't let you play in Offline mode.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

"Here, dumbass, you're supposed to land right here."

Patrick's joy here is awesome :unsmith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veev posted:

If you own the game it's not full price, it's a dlc 15 bucks. If you don't own any version they're gonna sell one with all the DLC for 40 (30 for P.C. months later) bucks. It's the same thing they've been doing for years, what are you on about?

I thought it was just the PC version that offered the discount, my mistake. I'm still challenging the notion that it's a more worthwhile product than Enemy Within :shrug:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I can just imagine the frown on Vinny's face upon seeing this gif for the first time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The entire concept of fighting games are tweaks and balance changes, so to a fighting game audience it does a lot of very interesting tweaks (such as Red Focus and finally giving Chun-Li a non-floaty jump after like 30 years), in addition to 5 new characters.

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought it was just the PC version that offered the discount, my mistake. I'm still challenging the notion that it's a more worthwhile product than Enemy Within :shrug:

I didn't say it was more worthwhile, but I did say the changes that Ultra is doing is tweaking and adding things more than what Enemy Within did. It's probably non-sense to you just like patch notes to Dota or League.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

StarkRavingMad posted:

The only time the Bed of Chaos has ever given anybody any joy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

I didn't say it was more worthwhile, but I did say the changes that Ultra is doing is tweaking and adding things more than what Enemy Within did. It's probably non-sense to you just like patch notes to Dota or League.

Not really, I used to be a huge fighting game guy, I just don't think anything they're doing to that game sounds super exciting. Not disagreeing that there is a lot of work to be done, but I think the ship has sailed on the non-Evo crowd giving a gently caress about USF4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

randombattle posted:

I can just imagine the frown on Vinny's face upon seeing this gif for the first time.

I wanted to put my thumb through the screen and squish his tiny head.

Nobody deserves that kind of lucky break.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man! Patrick saying on Twitter that Dark Souls is one of the best games he's ever played is crazy. It'd be funny if the GotY deliberations just ended up being everyone vs. Jeff for DS2.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I haven't watched all of Vinny or Patrick's runs, does anyone know if either of them went to Great Hollow/Ash Lake before finishing the game?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Eh, Bed of Chaos was super easy for me because I stumbled across the right thing to do and didn't fail the jump. It would have been a different story if the orbs came back but they don't. It's the easiest boss in the world if you know or guess the right sequence.

I was more annoyed at him killing O&S so quickly. It took me something like 20 tries because I heard you should kill Ornstein first but the only weapon I had worth a drat was a lightning weapon... yeah. gently caress people that get that fight easily.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I haven't watched all of Vinny or Patrick's runs, does anyone know if either of them went to Great Hollow/Ash Lake before finishing the game?

Not on stream, but I think Vinny mentioned him going there and fighting the clams at one point.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

If I recall, the start of the very first Load Our Last Souls had him right in front of the Everlasting Dragon.

Re: the poster who said it was the Year of the Klepek - for real. Dude is single-handedly overwhelming my ability to keep up with site content right now between Dark Souls and Spelunkin' With Scoops. He's really come in to his own.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Not on stream, but I think Vinny mentioned him going there and fighting the clams at one point.

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about the clams. Man, those things were dicks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I loved those clams. They were my source of Twinkling Titanite for the early part of the game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Is the Chrono Trigger endurance run worth going through?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Compared to the others? No not really.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009

monoptic posted:

If I recall, the start of the very first Load Our Last Souls had him right in front of the Everlasting Dragon.

Re: the poster who said it was the Year of the Klepek - for real. Dude is single-handedly overwhelming my ability to keep up with site content right now between Dark Souls and Spelunkin' With Scoops. He's really come in to his own.

Its the beard. The beard fuels his gaming prowess. Respect the beard. Fear the beard.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

monoptic posted:

He's been putting out a shitload of content for a while now. Even when he was still in the SF office he was doing Worth Reading, dumptruck interviews, the occasional written piece, and was bringing a ton of indie/lesser known games in to be quick looked.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of Klepek, but I do have to hand it to him the amount of content he turns out. They really need to get some more behind the scenes staff so the main crew can just keep pumping out more video content.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Wiltsghost posted:

Is the Chrono Trigger endurance run worth going through?

I had it on in the background recently for when I was working on something over a few days. The most text heavy endurance run but the plot isn't so difficult to follow if you choose to watch it that way. And hey, it was a bunch of Ryan content that I didn't catch the first time around which was comforting to have on. That alone was worth it for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I loved the Chrono Trigger ER. Worth watching. I was actually bored by the Deadly Premonition one and skipped a few episodes. Not with Chrono Trigger.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

My favorite part about the Chrono Trigger ER was when they got all excited about having a flying time machine then thought they had to walk to their next destination and bitched the whole way there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mine was when they discovered Luminaire aka Ultimate Damage.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

JuHoZ posted:

Its the beard. The beard fuels his gaming prowess. Respect the beard. Fear the beard.

That thing on his face isn't a beard pal.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's a gaming goatee! :v:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
This is a weird question but when they were complaining about Far Cry 3's story (more specifically it's ending), does anyone know what exactly they wanted? Sure it wasn't the greatest ending in the world or anything but I dunno it seemed fine to me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cityinthesea posted:

This is a weird question but when they were complaining about Far Cry 3's story (more specifically it's ending), does anyone know what exactly they wanted? Sure it wasn't the greatest ending in the world or anything but I dunno it seemed fine to me.

I think it was because it was a generic hollywood trope of "Only glorious white man can save these savages from themselves."

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
There were some red herrings early on that the game may not have been taking itself seriously and Jeff in particular wanted it to be some kind of VR vacation poo poo or wacky scifi plot with aliens and stuff. Then it turned out to be deadly serious.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It had a whole bunch of weird poo poo that just fed into this genre navel gazing nonsense. It didn't play it well enough to pull it off, and trying to pull it off made in unsatisfying in a traditional sense. You didn't get to kill anyone outside of dream sequence type poo poo because they wanted to play up how you're on a trip and it's crazy how you can even do this. You didn't get any kind of "gently caress yeah" ending because they wanted you to reflect on what you did. It could have been a simple revenge/rescue story but they threw it all away to fail at something else.

Oh and you kill the best character in the game halfway through and then it's like oh now that you've killed the only compelling character in this story go kill this other boss dude I guess. He was totally in charge the whole time btw. And he's a real bad dude, honest.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cityinthesea posted:

This is a weird question but when they were complaining about Far Cry 3's story (more specifically it's ending), does anyone know what exactly they wanted?

They wanted you to turn out to be in the Animus.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it was because it was a generic hollywood trope of "Only glorious white man can save these savages from themselves."

Yeah but they were using the gently caress out of Jason. He was never leading them, he was just playing the part of a video game protagonist and killing pirates/mercenaries. I don't think the story would've been any better or worse if it was Dennis in the lead role instead of Jason, or even a native.

I dunno, I felt they were a little harsh on it looking back (just finished it last week). Though it may just be that Jeff has weird opinions about video games.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

There were some red herrings early on that the game may not have been taking itself seriously and Jeff in particular wanted it to be some kind of VR vacation poo poo or wacky scifi plot with aliens and stuff. Then it turned out to be deadly serious.

That game definitely wanted it both ways as far as being taken seriously goes. The deadpan loading screens and earnest revelations about Vaas' past and motivations did not mesh well with magical daggers and Skrillex pot burning missions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
An interview with the story's writer down the road revealed that it was a dead serious attempt at making a story about violence and the human condition or whatever, and that he believed that it was a good one.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I agree there were some weird moments that tried to do both and failed (that scene with Ride of the Valkyries at the end completely broke the pacing imo). If it was just a little more serious I think it would've been a lot better for it.

I don't mind the magical bullshit though. There were ghosts and poo poo in Metro 2033 and that worked just fine.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Or less serious.

The story was just all over the place.

And the magical bullshit was weird because you couldn't tell whether the game was being serious or not. Is this a drug fueled trip? Is this magic poo poo really happening? Is it the animus? Does the game even know? In the end I just turned my brain off and did whatever the story told me to do until it ended.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Higsian posted:

Oh and you kill the best character in the game halfway through and then it's like oh now that you've killed the only compelling character in this story go kill this other boss dude I guess. He was totally in charge the whole time btw. And he's a real bad dude, honest.

That was my big problem with the story. Also for some reason they couldn't figure out a way to do compelling boss fights so they all end up being QTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Eeh. I think being less serious would make the game worse, as the developers were much more successful building tension than being funny.

edit; Personally I liked Hoyt. My biggest problem in that game was that they gave you the wingsuit much too late.

• Locked thread