Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

You beat me to posting this. The little tongue lick at the end kills me. It goes right up to his button nose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We bought a laser pointer for the cat and it seems to maybe have been a mistake. Because now the cat has become obsessed with tracking down and killing that drat dot.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
You sure have a funny definition of "mistake."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You sure have a funny definition of "mistake."

He gets overstimulated and obsessed with trying to find the dot even after you've stopped playing with him.

Anyway

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

muscles like this? posted:

He gets overstimulated and obsessed with trying to find the dot even after you've stopped playing with him.

Anyway

Have you tried ending the game by putting the laser on one of their other toys? One of the things that freaks cats out with laser pointers is that no matter how hard they try they can't catch it. Having it end on some other cat toy like one of those rabbit fur mice or whatever goes a long way towards giving your cat a satisfying conclusion to the hunt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyway

definitely worth watching the whole video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbakPKgU5Y

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

We bought a laser pointer for the cat and it seems to maybe have been a mistake. Because now the cat has become obsessed with tracking down and killing that drat dot.

Might be too late for you but I used to put the laser pointer right next to the floor, turn it on, then lift the pointer showing the dot. When I was done or the cats are tired out I take the pointer to the floor again covering the light, turn off the pointer, then pick it up showing there is no light anymore. So now they associate the pointer with the light and dont run around looking for the mysteriously appearing dot.

I tried the stop the light at a treat trick and it did not work for them. That's when I tried the above. Now when they want to play they smack around the box the laser pointer is in. :3:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MikeJF posted:

definitely worth watching the whole video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbakPKgU5Y

This is awesome. That youtuber also has some video about how to train your cats to do simple things like sit and shake your hand.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Cats about to sneeze:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Those PAWS! He's gonna be huge!

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
These are technically my grandmother's gay-rear end cats, but the belly floof is irresistible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tjadeth posted:

These are technically my grandmother's gay-rear end cats, but the belly floof is irresistible.

Your grandmother has awesome cats, I would motorboat that gray one's floofy belly, claws be damned.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
http://youtu.be/7tQDz9C8kiY

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Might be too late for you but I used to put the laser pointer right next to the floor, turn it on, then lift the pointer showing the dot. When I was done or the cats are tired out I take the pointer to the floor again covering the light, turn off the pointer, then pick it up showing there is no light anymore. So now they associate the pointer with the light and dont run around looking for the mysteriously appearing dot.

I tried the stop the light at a treat trick and it did not work for them. That's when I tried the above. Now when they want to play they smack around the box the laser pointer is in. :3:

It's way more fun always starting and ending the dot at an air register so the cats think it lives in the ductwork.

Alternatively, end the dot on another cat.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's way more fun always starting and ending the dot at an air register so the cats think it lives in the ductwork.

Alternatively, end the dot on another cat.

Put the dot on the cat itself

I got my cat to bite himself in the butt that way

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My buddy's cat is pretty great with the lazer, if you shine it on him I've never seen a living thing get as still as his cat does to judge the exact moment to strike. He can also get the cat so wound up it will chase the dot right up people's legs and attack their nuts.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

13 INCH DICK posted:

My buddy's cat is pretty great with the lazer, if you shine it on him I've never seen a living thing get as still as his cat does to judge the exact moment to strike. He can also get the cat so wound up it will chase the dot right up people's legs and attack their nuts.

I don't have any pictures of it, but when my current cat was only about 3 months old, our favorite activity was sneaking up on someone standing up and shine the laser on their back and watch the cat climb them. My grandfather wears big cowboy hats and we managed to get her up on top of it a few times doing that. She doesn't like to do it anymore, though :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Put the dot on the cat itself

I got my cat to bite himself in the butt that way

It doesn't work for my cat, he just spins and spins and spins and spins.

Unrelated.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just found this on Facebook:

:thestonkwiththeearsthatIcantFind: + :suspense:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

It doesn't work for my cat, he just spins and spins and spins and spins.
Mine don't even do that much, they just lose track of it if it's anywhere on them but their front paws.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Just found this on Facebook:

:thestonkwiththeearsthatIcantFind: + :suspense:

You mean :catstare:?

Fitzdraco
Aug 4, 2007
This is Dante

We hope he's studying to be a doctor

This is old man cat or orange, a long time ago I named him Chivalry, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

This is Archimedes which is the name he came with from the shelter, and the reason we adopted him. He's not that smart, but he will chase a laser pointer in circles till he falls over dizzy so it works out.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

That is one squishy lookin' dog you got there

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Meis posted:

You mean :catstare:?

Wait a minute, is that emoticon supposed to be a human with airplane ears??

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

casual poster posted:

Wait a minute, is that emoticon supposed to be a human with airplane ears??

I don't think humans have airplane ears though??

mouseover it, it is called catstare

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
ah, it all makes sense now.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Shadow (the black one, semi-obviously) and Jack are on the bed right now just chillaxin' on their favorite robe. It used to belong to my wife....

Shadow is a little over 10 years old, and Jack is just about 10 months old. They both weigh in at about 12 pounds. If Jack keeps growing at this rate, we'll be able to saddle him up and ride him around pretty soon.

ericdrawback
Nov 10, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Moving pictures count, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcgeilakOE

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

holy hell that purr is sweet as nonsense, it must be super loud to get picked up from that distance on a camera mic
you have a good cat

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Acid Reflux posted:

Shadow (the black one, semi-obviously) and Jack are on the bed right now just chillaxin' on their favorite robe. It used to belong to my wife....

Shadow is a little over 10 years old, and Jack is just about 10 months old. They both weigh in at about 12 pounds. If Jack keeps growing at this rate, we'll be able to saddle him up and ride him around pretty soon.

More chillaxin' cats:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

tehloki posted:

holy hell that purr is sweet as nonsense, it must be super loud to get picked up from that distance on a camera mic
you have a good cat
He is a good cat, albeit noisy and demanding.

here is him, with shorter hair, and more demands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUzw8zWsOps

(his name is ozzy)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

He is a good cat, albeit noisy and demanding.

here is him, with shorter hair, and more demands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUzw8zWsOps

(his name is ozzy)

I don't know how to tell you this, but your cat is floofy as heck.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
nerd's purr barely comes through on mic at all, it is a soft, insistent mrrrphh type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxN4TIuCcUw

(she is purring for the duration of this video)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but your cat is floofy as heck.

He's also 17 lbs, so not all of that is floof (he's fat)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What I miss most from my last relationship. :3:

butts lol
May 18, 2011
Mr. Cat (actually a lady) is just too sassy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Get it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)