Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh man, I remember how nightmarish my first fight with Letho was. I don't know how many times I died. And now he goes in a single try on Dark Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm reinstalling this because I started a Dark playthrough I never finished. I haven't done any of the new act 3 stuff (but I finished the game like 3 times before the rework), is there any cool quests I should definitely check out in the new act?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's just one new quest for each of the paths. What interests you more: Temerian politics (Roche) or Nilfgaardian espionage (Iorveth).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had no problem dealing with letho I guess his witcher training never taught him to not walk into bear traps.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gaius Marius posted:

I had no problem dealing with letho I guess his witcher training never taught him to not walk into bear traps.

Maybe so, I do that with Geralt sometimes if I'm feeling impatient and want to disarm a trap really quick to collect it. :v: Letho also doesn't know not to walk into big glowing orange yrden traps either.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Eternal Battle was the only part that struck me as kinda bullshit.

Fanatic posted:

I found Dandelion to be the worst. His very heavy American accent is so jarring and out-of-place.

Because iron age people talk like this, and computer age people talk like this, am I right?

Why do people with medieval tech always have to be from the UK?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

The Sharmat posted:

Because iron age people talk like this, and computer age people talk like this, am I right?

Why do people with medieval tech always have to be from the UK?

Well, right, but that's sort of beside the point; for better or worse, CDPR went the "British" route for almost all of the characters and then along comes this dude (who hails from the Northern Kingdoms just like most of the characters) with a distinct Floridian accent and... it's a bit jarring.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Leb posted:

Well, right, but that's sort of beside the point; for better or worse, CDPR went the "British" route for almost all of the characters and then along comes this dude (who hails from the Northern Kingdoms just like most of the characters) with a distinct Floridian accent and... it's a bit jarring.

Im pretty sure Vincent's accent is anything but European

Well regardless Dandelion was worse than Triss
VVVV

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 20, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Though it does strike me as odd to say that Dandelion is worse than Triss because he has an American accent, when she has an American accent too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leb posted:

They at least differentiated them. Aedirnians are welsh, kaedwinni are Irish, Temerians are from the midlands, Redanians are from yorkshire. It might just be the key characters (Saskia, Henselt, Radovid) but I think it holds up for the whole cast. That was a nice touch i thought.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you go to Maribor or somewhere else in South-Central Temeria and everyone is American, will you feel better about it?

The fact that they were so consistent everywhere else made me assume that they had a reason for Geralt, Triss, and Dandelion to have an American accent.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Triss' voice actress is English iirc, so it seems at least possible that it was a deliberate decision.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the main characters having american accents was to appeal to the larger English speaking market and have british isle accents for peasantry/common folk because it's quaint and lord of the rings-ish because that's the sort of thing you yanks like so I understand.

This doesn't explain Roche and Iorveth I guess but we might all be over thinking it. Of course if we do visit places like Rivia and wherever Dandelion is from and they all speak with american accents then I guess that works too.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Overminty posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the main characters having american accents was to appeal to the larger English speaking market and have british isle accents for peasantry/common folk because it's quaint and lord of the rings-ish because that's the sort of thing you yanks like so I understand.

This doesn't explain Roche and Iorveth I guess but we might all be over thinking it. Of course if we do visit places like Rivia and wherever Dandelion is from and they all speak with american accents then I guess that works too.

It's possibly worth noting that Geralt isn't actually even from Rivia, and that characters often remark on how poor his affected Rivian accent is.

Also, Letho is OLD and Iorveth... [skip to 2:00]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjrIVxdc5kU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lycus posted:

Though it does strike me as odd to say that Dandelion is worse than Triss because he has an American accent, when she has an American accent too.

I don't know, somehow Dandelion's accent just makes him stand out. I think it has something to do with his delivery, which makes him sound like a corny newscaster or something. Triss and the others kind of keep it toned down.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know, somehow Dandelion's accent just makes him stand out. I think it has something to do with his delivery, which makes him sound like a corny newscaster or something. Triss and the others kind of keep it toned down.

I thought Dandelion sticking out in a flamboyant kind of way was the point

He's Dandelion.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I thought Dandelion sticking out in a flamboyant kind of way was the point

He's Dandelion.

Well yeah I realize he's a bard and all so it kind of makes sense. But there's just something about his accent and delivery that pulls me right out of the game every time he speaks.

MY IMMERSION

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Dandelion intentionally speaks "presentationally" when in mixed company because he wants to make sure that bystanders can hear him clearly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Fantastic interview up on IGN from the devs.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind?page=1

quote:

There were a lot of erratic difficulty spikes in The Witcher 2. Will The Witcher 3 have an easier learning curve?
We call this the Eastern European immersion curve, where we throw players straight into the deep end. On a more serious note, while I was going through some of the reviews, I read that certain Western journalists died multiple times in the prologue itself, and that wasn’t a good thing. We don't have the ambition to be a Demon's Souls. We're definitely working on the immersion curve, balancing the game to make sure people get well-introduced to the game world and its mechanics without any controller-breaking scenarios. If you don't want this game to be hard, it won't be. However, if you want a challenge, you can knock yourself out with the hardcore mode. With The Witcher 3, you should have the experience you want. Obviously, our core audience is the RPG gamer, but we're looking to expand that demographic with gamers who just want to follow the main story, and have a satisfying hack-and-slash experience.

Also, 36 different endings. I don't know how much of that is "Saved person went on to become a murderer" but if they take The Witcher 2's style of game choice and offer completely unique paths to major plot quests it offers a ton of promise.

Also buried in the end of the interview is confirmation that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a pure RPG game, not an FPS.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
36 different endings will probably be similar to the Witcher 2 where [character] is wearing a different coloured shirt for otherwise identical cutscenes, or something.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Can't be worse than the 200 endings promised by Fallout 3.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

poptart_fairy posted:

36 different endings will probably be similar to the Witcher 2 where [character] is wearing a different coloured shirt for otherwise identical cutscenes, or something.

They advertised that The Witcher 2 would have eight endings, right? So if TW2 effectively had three endings, then TW3 should have approximately thirteen endings!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cheston posted:

They advertised that The Witcher 2 would have eight endings, right? So if TW2 effectively had three endings, then TW3 should have approximately thirteen endings!

They advertised it as having 16 endings, but the ending is only really different in like 8 of them. I mean yeah there are three main ways you complete the game but for example the ending for siding with Roche and saving Triss and siding with Iorveth and saving Triss are very different. The state of the Northern Kingdoms can vary wildly.

Granted their advertised 16 endings is a bit of a crapshoot but I think saying the Witcher 2 only has 3 ending is disingenuous and its endings are way more detailed than many games which advertise multiple endings.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 23, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
That 36 thing is probably 3x3x2x2 for again four "decisions", two of which will now have a third option. Not really a strange for an incremental improvement over the last game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Interesting!

quote:

Q: In many RPGs today, you can become a demigod after grinding around for a few hours. In Skyrim, for example, I was killing dragons with one arrow after the 50-hour mark. How can you ensure that the game will constantly challenge the player?

A: I don't think this was an issue in our previous games, so I don't see why it should be an issue in Wild Hunt. We've made sure the game feels balanced at all times. We love Skyrim and we’re huge fans, but this is a different game. Skyrim was an out-and-out open-world game, while ours is a story-driven game that unfolds in an open-world scenario. The priorities of both games are very different.

You will be able to explore the game world of the The Witcher 3, but in a lot of ways, we'll be subtly reminding you about the plot. Do all the side-quests you want, but don't forget there is a story waiting for you - that I personally feel is the most rewarding part of the game.

Well...

Everything else sound good, though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Regarding accentchat: People like to use English accents for historical or fantasy stuff like this because there is an inherent class divide represented in the different accents. Someone with a Cockney accent is low class scum, someone with Received Pronunciation is of higher birth. All simple and basic stuff. Certain characters in the Witcher have American accents because they are "special" in some ways. Geralt is a hosed up mutant who aint from these parts. Triss is from Temeria but she's an incredibly powerful sorceress and she probably gets around. They stand out so their accents stand out. Dandelion is a total goofball who is putting up a persona constantly he is trying to stand out to be as big and important as Geralt and Triss.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
IIRC, I think this is how the accents went in TW2:

Temerian: South English
Redanian: North English (Not Scottish, more Yorkshire-ish)
Aedirnian: Welsh
Kaedweni: Mainland Irish (Henselt's accent seems to go all over the place)
Nilfgaardian: German (some of it sounds more like the random Dutch like in the first game)

Some are further divided into low and high class dialects. You also have Letho who is supposed to sound like a United States Southerner trying an English accent but it's probably the other way around for his voice actor.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yorkshire accents by the way are very popular with advertisers because apparently people think they are more trustworthy.

Now think about who rules Redania, and wonder..

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sunning posted:

IIRC, I think this is how the accents went in TW2:

Temerian: South English
Redanian: North English (Not Scottish, more Yorkshire-ish)
Aedirnian: Welsh
Kaedweni: Mainland Irish (Henselt's accent seems to go all over the place)
Nilfgaardian: German (some of it sounds more like the random Dutch like in the first game)

Some are further divided into low and high class dialects. You also have Letho who is supposed to sound like a United States Southerner trying an English accent but it's probably the other way around for his voice actor.

I live in the south and didn't think he sounded anything like a southerner, but on the other hand you're not the first to say that about him.

Apparently the VA is Welsh? I don't even know anymore. Letho Is Weird.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Riso posted:

Yorkshire accents by the way are very popular with advertisers because apparently people think they are more trustworthy.

Now think about who rules Redania, and wonder..

Seems about right..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxH9iXUDf0

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Yorkshire accent immediately makes me think of bigheaded twats.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I live in the south and didn't think he sounded anything like a southerner, but on the other hand you're not the first to say that about him.

Apparently the VA is Welsh? I don't even know anymore. Letho Is Weird.

I thought it was fairly clear he was trying to sound Germanic, which makes sense, as the school of the Viper is located within the empire.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I also live in the south east US and was totally unable to place Letho's accent. Nifty voice though.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Lord help me, I'm playing this through on Insane.

I'm up to the start of Chapter 1 already, which is probably going to be the hardest part for a while.

If anyone else has beaten the game on Insane, tips or whatever would be nice, besides 'stop being insane :v:'

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I would never play this game on Insane. I love it, but I think there's too many places where you can die for kinda bullshitty reasons. I don't think it would be fun.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

I would never play this game on Insane. I love it, but I think there's too many places where you can die for kinda bullshitty reasons. I don't think it would be fun.

Maybe if Quen worked the way it used to...

Is insane any more difficult than hard? Or is it just permadeath?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

PurplieNurplie posted:

I'm up to the start of Chapter 1 already, which is probably going to be the hardest part for a while.

If anyone else has beaten the game on Insane, tips or whatever would be nice, besides 'stop being insane :v:'

I'm absolutely certain no-one has ever beaten the game on insane without cheating their way past the save deletion.

Edit:

SpRahl posted:

Enemies hit even harder on Insane. It's basically Dark Mode with permadeath and without the Dark equipment that made things sort of fair.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 27, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Insane is Hard with permadeath.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

PurplieNurplie posted:

Wall of text incoming, sorry there's a lot of stuff I learned playing insanity mode.

After a few half starts I finally beat it a few months ago. My main problem was that I would get bored, stop paying enough attention, and get myself killed from some rookie mistake.

Do not let that happen. And you're right chapter 1 is the hardest. You can be instantly killed by things like rotfiends, and if you aren't watching your positioning nekkers can absolutely wreck you. But there are some pretty dangerous creatures on other parts as well. I got sideswipped by a gargoyle on act 3 taken down to like 5% hp. I don't think my heart rate has ever gone so high from playing a videogame before.

Be the most paranoid hyper-alert person ever when you are out in the wilderness. Don't be afraid to reload. Don't be afraid to just run the gently caress away from a battle. Always expect to get attacked from any direction at any second. I would compulsively scan back and forth left and right. Also in that vein do not play any music while you are playing. I usually do, but you absolutely need to be able to hear the telltale sounds of monsters nearby. Oh and especially in chapter 1, always have quen on. It will only block one hit but that hit could save your life. If you don't have vigor to cast it, then just chill out and wait. You don't want to rush into things and get yourself killed.

Sweep towns in their entirety the second you get onto a map. Sell anything you don't need and make whatever you do need. And take the easiest quests first in order to gain levels. Eg. Don't run off and try to fight wraiths before you have done things like killing off the nekkers.

Keep a good eye out for the best equipment, highest damage you can find, best armor class. Don't horde money, if you're really hurting for it in chapter 2 you can farm harpies on iorveth/triss path and sell what they drop to make tons of money. Carrying around money won't help you, being nearly destitute but having bought recipes and crafted good armor will. Always put armor enhancements and sword runes into your equipment.

Another side note on equipment, If you have a good Witcher 1 save use it. There are some that you can download as well that have high end TW1 equipment that while much weaker in TW2 have lots of open rune slots that will be useful for act 1 damage.

Make potions. Use them 24/7. That entire game I never went anywhere with monsters without having a swallow potion and some kind of extra damage like whirl or rook. Any difficult fight you should be tossing bombs, especially in act 1. Samum, grapeshot, dancing star, zerikkanian sun. Are all pretty good as I recall. When in doubt just bomb the absolute poo poo out of everything. There's always more bomb ingredients. Daggers work as well. Troll? Bomb it. Letho? Bomb that motherfucker. Draug? bomb time.

If you haven't played though it at least once before on a lower difficulty, you really should before you try insanity. Having the foreknowledge of what might be coming is invaluable. Definitely figure out how to do the arrow running part of chapter 2 flawlessly before you try it on insanity.

Know where all the minor little perks are and how to get them. Like the extra damage by killing all the training dummies in the prologue and floatsam. And finding the dead assassins creed guy, ect.

During chapter 2 make sure that if you're on the pursue Triss/choose Iorveth path that when you cross over during the fog you go to the little house for From a Bygone Era and activate it so that you can respec your character. (If you're on the pursue Letho/choose Roche path then make sure you do that quest as well. obviously.)

For templates I grabbed one level of footwork and one of position to balance out the damage. Then maxed out on alchemy. Get 2 of impregnation 2 of side effect. Make sure you get every single mutable skill possible and once you have 2 levels of impregnation you can start putting greater mutagens into them. I would suggest you only use greater strength, greater power, and madness ones. Greater strength first to get you a lot beefier so you don't have to be nearly as paranoid all the time(but be paranoid anyways because you don't want to lose 15 hours of work. I've been there. It's not fun.) Once you max out your alchemy tree. Don't actually max it out though just get up to the top tier and put 1 point into each of the mutable skills. Then switch over fully to swords and get it up to again the mutable skills. Depending on how many strength/power you used. You will do extremely high damage and be pretty beefy at this point.

In act 3 you can and should do From a Bygone Era and respec. It won't appear that the skills you respeced have mutagens applied to them, but i assure you they will still be active, so don't overwrite them or you will lose the impregnation bonus. At this point I speced swords and magic about evenly. Then I used mutagens on the magic skills. They will only give half as good of bonuses but at this point you should be pretty much unstoppable even on insanity mode.

Wrote way more than I meant to. I hope it was helpful to you. Gluck with your attempt.

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm absolutely certain no-one has ever beaten the game on insane without cheating their way past the save deletion.

Awww, you :allears:. Making me feel so special.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

I think it would probably be more accurate to say:

..without heavy metagaming in the form of cheesing the combat system and using extensive foreknowledge of the encounter design.

e: btw, here are some nifty slides that were posted over on NG... looks like a few new details here and there:

Leb fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 28, 2014

• Locked thread