Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really liked Portrait of Ruin, but the game gets really, really brutal right about the point where the real ending starts. Maybe I just didn't level enough doing the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The bosses seem to take a big leap in HP right around Medusa/Frankenstein/the Mummy. Franky especially was a bitch since he could pretty much clobber you in a few hits.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dresh posted:

Has anyone had any luck preordering the special edition for LoS 2 yet? I've tried twice so far, the second time at the beginning of this month, and GameStop didn't have it as an option in their system at all yet.

I wasn't even aware there was going to be a special edition. Did they just announce it on Twitter/Facebook or something and never get it up anywhere?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think the Special Edition (Dracula's Tomb, I assume Dresh is referring to?) is Europe only.

In other news, we're about a month out and there's been zero news about the Steam version. I've been assuming it will come to Steam on the same day but they haven't said anything yet...I guess with them being new to the PC market, they might just throw it on Steam without warning on release day, but I would hope not...

Also still waiting for the 3DS game to be ported to PC, it's on PSN and XBLA, so c'mon, Konami.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

DeathChicken posted:

Finally got around to beating Portrait of Ruin. I thought was that was pretty awesome, really. The team mechanic was neat, even if it largely amounted to "Stop getting killed, Charlotte. I need you to spam spells but can't risk you being player 1."

Sisters mode was neat too, if about as barebones as all the Castlevania bonus modes. At least it had an ending.

I used Charlotte as Player 1 all the time, actually. I don't remember it being particularly harder than Johnathan...though I didn't really use Johnathan enough to notice.

Man, I was to replay PoR now. Too bad I moved it to some other game case years ago, so when my mom tried to send it to me I got an empty box. I'll just have to settle for DoS and OoE, I guess.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DeathChicken posted:

The bosses seem to take a big leap in HP right around Medusa/Frankenstein/the Mummy. Franky especially was a bitch since he could pretty much clobber you in a few hits.

Frankie's definitely the hardest of the four, but once you get his pattern down he's not too bad.

Double Frankie on the other hand. :shepicide:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Frankie's definitely the hardest of the four, but once you get his pattern down he's not too bad.

Double Frankie on the other hand. :shepicide:

gently caress that room. gently caress it so hard.

Of the final set of bosses, I was surprised by the Werewolf being such a chump.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then he's surprisingly annoying for the Sisters, since you can't fly over him without eating an uppercut and you can't stay on the ground without him charging over you.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

MarsDragon posted:

I used Charlotte as Player 1 all the time, actually. I don't remember it being particularly harder than Johnathan...though I didn't really use Johnathan enough to notice.

Man, I was to replay PoR now. Too bad I moved it to some other game case years ago, so when my mom tried to send it to me I got an empty box. I'll just have to settle for DoS and OoE, I guess.

I used Charlotte except when I needed Jonathan's maneuverability, because I didn't realize that his subweapons powered up through use and figured he was dead weight by design. Which is funny, because I'd played Harmony of Despair and primarily used him—you'd think I'd have caught on sooner.

Also I just realized I never powered up the Vampire Killer in my playthrough—because with the game repeatedly mentioning how the Vampire Killer shortens its users' lives, I assumed I was setting myself for a bad ending if I did.

Edit: I don't remember having any trouble with Frankenstein, but the infuriating bullshit Sisters fight along with the boring, samey level design are what made Portrait of Ruin my least-favorite SotN-style Castlevania.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I like SoTN and Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, didn't like Order of Ecclesia, and I'm not big on the classic-style Castlevanias. Is there another cool map-explorey-type Metroidvania game in the series I can play?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

I like SoTN and Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, didn't like Order of Ecclesia, and I'm not big on the classic-style Castlevanias. Is there another cool map-explorey-type Metroidvania game in the series I can play?

Portrait of Ruin would be your only choice.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Harmony of Dissonance and Circle on the Moon on the GBA are the other two choices. Both of which are much better than PoR but might be harder to find.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Keep in mind HoD is pretty good but the music is 90% awful and 'pretty good' still isn't as good as most of the other CV games.

Sockser posted:

didn't like Order of Ecclesia,

I am going to cut you.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Humerus posted:

I think the Special Edition (Dracula's Tomb, I assume Dresh is referring to?) is Europe only.

Oh drat, it is. :psyduck: I must have glossed over that part when it was announced in November. And I really wanted those miniatures for my cubicle too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't play Harmony, its the only bad GBA/DS Castlevania.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's far from the best, but there are no bad GBA/DS Castlevanias.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Accordion Man posted:

Don't play Harmony, its the only bad GBA/DS Castlevania.

Circle of the moon is worse.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Circle of the moon is worse.

More like Circle of the Moon was the best one until we got Order of Ecclesia. :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

S-Alpha posted:

More like Circle of the Moon was the best one until we got Order of Ecclesia. :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

They're both hard like the classic Castlevanias, while the others are fine if you don't hoard all your unique healing items like I always do.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

That loving Sned posted:

They're both hard like the classic Castlevanias, while the others are fine if you don't hoard all your unique healing items like I always do.

"Sweet, I found tiramisu! I can't wait to find a second one so I can actually use it!"

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

They're both hard like the classic Castlevanias, while the others are fine if you don't hoard all your generic weapons like I always do.

loving Long Sword in Portrait of Ruin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StevenM posted:

loving Long Sword in Portrait of Ruin.

Yep, I got boned on that too. Had to completely restart the game because I couldn't find a single person selling them in their online shops.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dresh posted:

"Sweet, I found tiramisu! I can't wait to find a second one so I can actually use it!"

Playing Portrait of Ruin always makes me hungry. Sachertorte, Kugelhopf, Curry, Pasta Carbonara, Peking Duck, Jamon Iberico, Foie Gras, delicious!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
New Lords of Shadow 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBiyEWc3GA

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Samuel Clemens posted:

Playing Portrait of Ruin always makes me hungry. Sachertorte, Kugelhopf, Curry, Pasta Carbonara, Peking Duck, Jamon Iberico, Foie Gras...

...1,000-year-egg dropped by a frog, you name it!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Playing Portrait of Ruin always makes me hungry. Sachertorte, Kugelhopf, Curry, Pasta Carbonara, Peking Duck, Jamon Iberico, Foie Gras, delicious!

Aion's food in OoE seemed kinda good but apparently it tasted terrible.

But you see Shanoa didn't notice because she forgot what good food tasted like. :aaa:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Man, Robert Carlyle never phones it in. He's probably my favorite part of LoS. My hope for the game is that it actually takes place in a populated present day. I think that would be a neat shift for a game like this.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
More Robert Caryle knocking it out of the park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Re2vqtCWb4

That whole "I am Dracula, woman" speech near the end was pretty awesome for a sequel to a game that barely had a functional story outside of its loading screens.

If you guys don't mind early game spoilers for the first 1-3 hours here's a recentish Eurogamer preview that definitely made me interested even if it sounds totally :okpos: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-the-god-of-war-comparisons-really-pissed-us-off

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suddenly a lot more interested in LoS 2, the demo did a really bad job of showing that it wasn't just more of the same from the first game though (assuming that actually turns out to be the case).

And really? You're pissed off that your game that played almost exactly like God of War got compared to it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I actually hope people compare it more. I found Lords of Shadow 1 much more enjoyable than GoW Ascension. The biggest improvement in the demo is that the big titan-esque mechanical creatures are much smoother to get around on and attack, better integrated into the level.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess it annoys me with the God of War comparisons considering that Lament of Innocence came before God of War did.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be a little disappointed if you don't literally turn into a dragon and tear poo poo up in LOS2 for a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I guess it annoys me with the God of War comparisons considering that Lament of Innocence came before God of War did.

LoI was trying (and failing) to be Devil May Cry and has more mechancially in common with it except the parts where it sucks at it. LoS plays textbook GoW.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

LoI was trying (and failing) to be Devil May Cry and has more mechancially in common with it except the parts where it sucks at it. LoS plays textbook GoW.

I thought that LoI had much more in common with Rygar than DMC, right down to the block button.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm currently playing LoS, and the combat is kind of weird. There are several problems. First, aerial combat is basically a waste of time, and an invitation for an enemy to smack you down. That's a problem, when every ability has a unique airborne variant. Second, the focus mechanic is a little off. It rewards you bigtime for closely timed blocks, which is good. But it doesn't reward you for closely timed dodges, and I almost never block. The reason for that is that dodging is entirely superior to blocking. Now, that'd be okay as a risk-reward decision, where blocking is harder but gives you focus points. However, they threw in these unblockable attacks that enemies use pretty often, which are signaled by their hands/claws glowing, but the problem is that they come out of the same windup telegraph as the normal attacks, and by the time you can see if it's a normal or an unblockable, it's usually too late.

When the combat works, it works, and you feel like a badass. They really did get down the feel of just wailing on fools with a length of weighted chain. There doesn't seem to be a reason to use the many attacks they give you in the game, however- there's basically no point to the cool megaton punch when you have a much longer reaching, faster, and combo-able heavy whip attack, for instance. The relic powers are rendered kind of obsolete by the big fuckoff laser power each one gets that drains your full bar (it's easy to get energy back). In general, playing it usually comes down to just hammering on a few bread-and-butter attacks, and trading hits with the hordes of enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest problem with LoS combat is that it's poorly designed when it comes to understanding player encouragement.

You've got Light and Dark. One heals, one does extra damage. That's a good start. The problem is that they're fueled by effectively the same thing... and what fuels it is playing well. So you've got the ability to heal yourself more easily but only if you're playing well. Which is the time you least need it because if you're playing well then your health is already high. Great. So that leaves the "do more damage" thing as a much more viable option except that means if you're playing well the game just becomes hilariously easier because you're doing insanely more damage.

They really should have figured out a different way to do things because as it stands it is all stick, no carrot for less skilled players. Also just on a personal note it feels incredibly weird to me that "Light" is "vampirically steal health from your enemies" and Dark is "do extra damage to the forces of evil." That really should have been reversed and it would have made it feel more thematically interesting when Gabriel is tapping the power of darkness to steal life from his enemies considering how the dude ends up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LoS 2 at least seems to have fixed that where it's just a toggle between different styles and doesn't use up a limited supply of magic any more. Having played the demo straight after finishing DmC didn't do that system an favours in selling it to me either though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

On the surface LoS plays a lot like God of War. It's clearly inspired by it. But I do think it's an unfair comparison to just call it a GoW clone, since LoS tries to do so many other things. Like there are chapters with very little combat in them, and one or two where there's no combat at all. LoS doesn't always succeed, but it's a very ambitious game from a design standpoint, and I hope they can iron out the shoddier stuff in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
LoS doesn't do the stuff it ripped from GoW as good as that game did, but it does it's own stuff great so it balances out.