Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Wade Wilson posted:

That was the same person that gave him Soul Fire.

Wait is that a guess or is that stated somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Donraj posted:

I think Veekie had a theory that they're seeing He Who Walks Behind?

Though that seems like something Michael would have mentioned.

I did yeah, He Who Walks Behind would leave a deep psychic impression, but Harry's own soul would be quite intimidating as well, and not one to easily be manipulated. Harry knows that for those who know how to look they can see the Outsider's touch on his aura, way back in the Three Eye drug.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

coffeetable posted:

Totally different topic but why has Mavra never attempted the Darkhallow in the many years she's had the Word of Kemmler?

If you go back to the end of the book, Dresden tells that he knows how to use necromancy against the black court vampires. This is why she wanted it - theres the discussions all over the place about how the vampire magics are different to wizard magics so the Darkhallow itself is useless for her except possibly as a starting point as to convert it to a Blampire version.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Tornhelm posted:

If you go back to the end of the book, Dresden tells that he knows how to use necromancy against the black court vampires.

But he never specifies what he means by that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait is that a guess or is that stated somewhere?

Mainly a guess, as he's the only entity I can think of that could pull it off behind Harry's wards and threshold that would have any reason to do it, and it wouldn't directly violate the free will thing he harps on, so why not?

Very slight chance Lea could have done it, since she was guarding Harry's home from the Nevernever side of things and may have decided to do it out of some outside obligation to Harry's mom, but that's highly unlikely.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Wade Wilson posted:

Mainly a guess, as he's the only entity I can think of that could pull it off behind Harry's wards and threshold that would have any reason to do it, and it wouldn't directly violate the free will thing he harps on, so why not?

Very slight chance Lea could have done it, since she was guarding Harry's home from the Nevernever side of things and may have decided to do it out of some outside obligation to Harry's mom, but that's highly unlikely.

I thought it was Lash? He would have blown a circuit if he tried to use Little Chicago it as was, so she compensated for him. Kind of like a heavy duty fuse. Haven't read the books for about a year though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Unsolved Minor Mysteries Of The Dresden Files, what was up with Harry's father talking to him in Dead Beat? The implication was very much that he was only 'allowed' to do so after Lash was part of his psyche, which certainly suggests a heavenly origin.

The theory I'm going with is that his spirit works for Uriel (or at least for Heaven) in much the same way that Murphy's dad does.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

While that's the way I saw it, that scene also takes place after his mom talks to him in Blood Rites, so that's another possibility

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

docbeard posted:

Speaking of Unsolved Minor Mysteries Of The Dresden Files, what was up with Harry's father talking to him in Dead Beat? The implication was very much that he was only 'allowed' to do so after Lash was part of his psyche, which certainly suggests a heavenly origin.

The theory I'm going with is that his spirit works for Uriel (or at least for Heaven) in much the same way that Murphy's dad does.

rereading it, (imo) the implication is that the "others" that crossed the line were either the necromancers, Mavra, or the parasite and it's puppets.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I *finally* got my wife completely hooked on the books (audio books on long drives to visit family over the holidays) and she's about to finish Turn Coat (Changes up next! woo!) When she found out she only has three more books and then has to wait until May she looked sick.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

treeboy posted:

When she found out she only has three more books and then has to wait until May she looked sick.

:unsmigghh: One of us. One of us. One of us. :unsmigghh:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

treeboy posted:

I *finally* got my wife completely hooked on the books (audio books on long drives to visit family over the holidays) and she's about to finish Turn Coat (Changes up next! woo!) When she found out she only has three more books and then has to wait until May she looked sick.

Meaning she's on Changes? Please let us know how she reacts at the end. Also hide the next two for a like a week, just to let her stew on it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Meaning she's on Changes? Please let us know how she reacts at the end. Also hide the next two for a like a week, just to let her stew on it.
*Warning: this course of action may result in marital strife.*

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

treeboy posted:

Gah, I caught up during changes and have had to wait for new books since then!

Although, that might be better than having to stop on Ghost Story.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Foolie posted:

Gah, I caught up during changes and have had to wait for new books since then!

Although, that might be better than having to stop on Ghost Story.

I stopped on Ghost Story! It was a weird change of pace considering I burned through the series reading each book in 1 or 2 days. Took me less than a month to get caught up and then I had to wait for Cold Days. It was a bit hard to get used to the slower pace after all the excitement of Changes (and marathoning the entire series). Rereading the entire series in time for Cold Days fixed my enjoyment of Ghost Story though since the three last books work really well as a 3 book arc.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I just realised Grimalkin is from Macbeth's GrayMalkin.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Donraj posted:

Wonder when we'll get to see exactly what the Nevernever looks like around Demonreach?

I bet it's Tartarus. It'd be a pretty convenient last minute surprise in Skin Game for Harry to open a gate to realspace as a last resort and end up straight on the island, where he's now able to wipe the floor with whatever elder god is following him. Chances are Demonreach has a new prisoner by the time the book is done.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Super.Jesus posted:

I bet it's Tartarus. It'd be a pretty convenient last minute surprise in Skin Game for Harry to open a gate to realspace as a last resort and end up straight on the island, where he's now able to wipe the floor with whatever elder god is following him. Chances are Demonreach has a new prisoner by the time the book is done.

It would fit, I think. They're both prisons, right?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

VanSandman posted:

It would fit, I think. They're both prisons, right?

They are, Tartarus holds the Titans and the Titanspawn.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Do we have any idea the age of Demonreach or Mab? In Ghost Story she refers to him as "Ancient Thing" and coming from Mab that stuck me as a little odd. With the comments of Demonreach's limp being caused by the last ice age and if Merlin really did travel through time to create the prison then Demonreach could have been created before Mab. Since it seems like Time = Knowledge = Power in the Dresdenverse, just how powerful is Demonreach anyways? The Cold Days threat of "(To Demonreach) If she (Mab) pulls the trigger, take her below and keep her there" certainly seems to give her pause.

I wonder how many Winter Queen's there have been.

May needs to come quicker so I can stop making up poo poo in my head.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Demonreach was powerful enough to make Mab think twice about anything she did to Dresden while on the island after his threat of having her imprisoned. So its powerful enough to contain a queen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Demonreach is powerful enough to be a prison for things so powerful and evil that the Skin Walker is in Minimum Security. It will easily put a damper on anything's day if Dresden figures out how to weaponize it in a fight (or is ever desperate enough to do so while on the island). Pretty sure it won't ever happen, though, as he told Fix in Cold Days that he hopes Demonreach doesn't decide to chip in because it may steamroll everyone on the island once it gets going.

Aug 15, 2010
Continuing an earlier request to post up my thoughts on the books as a first time reader. With that;

Grave Peril

I feel like again, we are working our way through the cliche' format. Up next, Vampires! All in all a fun read that expounded on the relationships that Harry has or lack there of. Although, the beginning with Micheal was kinda a WTF moment as we were just expected to know him. Malazan pulls this off well. Harry, not so much. Left me wanting to why, how, and why Chasity hates him so much. Plus the little snippet that Micheal killed a loving dragon and that story was left at that. Perhaps in future books I will learn about that.

But the biggest thing that I did not like about this book was the twist at the end. The leading on that it was the demon and Harry and us not knowing that Kravos offed himself was a real bullshit move. I'm also getting tired of Murphy being a class one a bitch at all times with regards to Harry. Respect him or don't but choose one.

Susan getting the "gift" was a nice plot point and I liked that she left to basically figure poo poo out.

And Bob. I love Bob.

The war starting, well that should be interesting.

Next up, Death Masks

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Actually, up next is Summer Knight. Just thought you should know.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah Summer Knight is next and it's good.

Aug 15, 2010

Thunderfinger posted:

Actually, up next is Summer Knight. Just thought you should know.

Whoops! Thanks for the correction.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

1554 posted:

Whoops! Thanks for the correction.

It's an important correction. The plot of Death Masks would still make sense without reading Summer Knight, but it wouldn't have nearly the same impact.

You're at the point where Dresden Files turns into something more than just another monster-of-the-week urban fantasy series. The last half of Grave Peril is where Butcher sets up the driving metaplot for the next 8-10 books. The Masquerade at the end of Grave Peril alone ties into most of the major plotlines and half of the subplots until Changes.

Just so you don't get them out of order again, here's the list of books. I'll mark favorites of mine with an asterisk.

Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks*
Blood Rites
Dead Beat*
Proven Guilty
White Night
Small Favor*
Turn Coat*
Changes*
Ghost Story
Cold Days*
Skin Game (not yet released)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Summer Knight is fantastic, it's usually the one I recommend people start the series on. Murphy starts being a lot less two dimensional, too. She puts on the boots.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I envy you, 1554.

Enjoy Summer Knight. It's quite good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ConfusedUs posted:

It's an important correction. The plot of Death Masks would still make sense without reading Summer Knight, but it wouldn't have nearly the same impact.

You're at the point where Dresden Files turns into something more than just another monster-of-the-week urban fantasy series. The last half of Grave Peril is where Butcher sets up the driving metaplot for the next 8-10 books. The Masquerade at the end of Grave Peril alone ties into most of the major plotlines and half of the subplots until Changes.

Just so you don't get them out of order again, here's the list of books. I'll mark favorites of mine with an asterisk.

Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks*
Blood Rites
Dead Beat*
Proven Guilty
White Night
Small Favor*
Turn Coat*
Changes*
Ghost Story
Cold Days*
Skin Game (not yet released)

Turn Coat is criminally underrated in my opinion.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, Changes talk

The Merlin tells Harry that the White Council is going to exterminate the Red Court. I take that to mean that they were finally going to go all-out, no more truces, no more trying to end things diplomatically. Others took that to mean that the Council had some sort of magical Manhattan Project in the works. I think that's unlikely, but I'm curious, exactly what could the White Council do in terms of magical superweapons without violently breaking their own prohibitions against black magic? Yeah, using magic to kill vampires isn't the same as killing humans to them, but I'd guess that something like the Red Court's death curse would qualify as black magic to them anyway. And as Harry put it, if the Wardens thought they were about to perform black magic they would probably reflexively behead themselves just to be on the safe side. The Senior Council is maybe less fanatical about it, but all indications are that the Merlin believes in the White Council's teachings whatever his other faults.

Thoughts?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Donraj posted:

So, Changes talk

The Merlin tells Harry that the White Council is going to exterminate the Red Court. I take that to mean that they were finally going to go all-out, no more truces, no more trying to end things diplomatically. Others took that to mean that the Council had some sort of magical Manhattan Project in the works. I think that's unlikely, but I'm curious, exactly what could the White Council do in terms of magical superweapons without violently breaking their own prohibitions against black magic? Yeah, using magic to kill vampires isn't the same as killing humans to them, but I'd guess that something like the Red Court's death curse would qualify as black magic to them anyway. And as Harry put it, if the Wardens thought they were about to perform black magic they would probably reflexively behead themselves just to be on the safe side. The Senior Council is maybe less fanatical about it, but all indications are that the Merlin believes in the White Council's teachings whatever his other faults.

Thoughts?

I've read theories that suggest the Merlin basically planned on what happened being that thing that happened. He's a wizard on the same tier as Ebenezar, just focused on less combat magic and more defensive stuff, plus is quite possibly far more devious, considering his rise to political power.

I also think he is on the Grey Council too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Turn Coat is criminally underrated in my opinion.

By whom? It's quite possibly my favorite book in the series. Dead Beat has the best climax, and Death Masks has my favorite set of characters (the three Knights of the Cross vs Nicodemus), but Turn Coat is the whole package. It's good.

I haven't re-read Cold Days enough (only twice so far), but I think it might be better than Turn Coat.

Maybe.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Small favors beats out Turn Coat, in my opinion, but JUST BARELY. Cold Days is right behind, and could probably switch places with Turn Coat every other day depending on my mood. Small Favors is just so GOOD. Harry's talk with Nicky sends chills down my spine every single goddamned time, the fight with the Denarians on the lake, the scene in the hospital with the Carpenters, Gard's scene... Everything is paced perfectly, and there's never a bad moment in the book. It also contains my very favorite line in the entire series. "With Sprinkles 'pon it, and frosting of white." It helps that I love the Denarian books, and I'm going out of my mind with impatience waiting for Skin Game because of it.

Both Turn Coat and Cold Days are still incredible....but Small Favor is the book I will always reread first.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Turn Coat cemented my love for Listens-To-Wind. "Not gonna bind or banish you old ghost..."
Probably one of my favorite bits from all the books.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Donraj posted:

So, Changes talk

Thoughts?

I'm inclined to say they meant a more conventional drop of the hammer at a critical moment rather than an "I win" superweapon.

And essentially that's what happened.

Everything we know about traveling through the never-never says that purpously creating a way from one place to another requires an enormous amount of energy. The fact that the grey council showed up with an hour's notice directly to the battlefield fully rested indicates to me that they prepared their travel well in advance and had a heavy strike team on standby for an opportunity.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man half the things you people talk about don't ring any bells in my head. I should probably do a re-read, as I read 12 of these books in a 2 months fugue.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SerSpook posted:

I've read theories that suggest the Merlin basically planned on what happened being that thing that happened. He's a wizard on the same tier as Ebenezar, just focused on less combat magic and more defensive stuff, plus is quite possibly far more devious, considering his rise to political power.

I also think he is on the Grey Council too.

This is my guess, though I'd never thought of him being part of the Grey Council. (It makes sense, though.)

He couldn't possibly have thought, for example, that forbidding Harry to go after the people who had kidnapped his daughter would have resulted in anything but what happened. He's not an idiot, and he's known Harry for most of Harry's life. I'm convinced that aiming Harry at the Red Court was the Merlin's plan (or one of them; he always has three).

The Council does have a magic superweapon, and his name is Harry Dresden.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

docbeard posted:

This is my guess, though I'd never thought of him being part of the Grey Council. (It makes sense, though.)

He couldn't possibly have thought, for example, that forbidding Harry to go after the people who had kidnapped his daughter would have resulted in anything but what happened. He's not an idiot, and he's known Harry for most of Harry's life. I'm convinced that aiming Harry at the Red Court was the Merlin's plan (or one of them; he always has three).

Win-win when you think about it. Either Harry takes out the Red Court or they take him out, but the Merlin comes out ahead regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

docbeard posted:

My pet theory is that the Merlin fired off a massive entropy curse at the Red Court, and suspected Harry would be the instrument that let it take effect.

• Locked thread