Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

A crossover game.

Majesty: Crusader Kings.
Hearts of Victorian Kings II: Wrath of Magicka Warship Simulator.

e: Is there any actual hint as to when the two projects will actually be announced? This is somewhat maddening.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im pretty sure there just going to let us keep guessing so they can harvest more game ideas/april fools jokes.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
We'll find out on January 23rd.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

A crossover game.

Majesty: Crusader Kings.

Holy poo poo yes! :homebrew: Imagine trying to keep the Dauros and Krypta factions from declaring war on each other every 5 years, picking between an Elf's high Stewardship and a Dwarf's increased building time, and worrying about an invasion from the east ... KROLM!!! KROLM!!! KROLM!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Crusader Cities in Motion 2. You play as a baron or mayor, and build up your town and holdfasts into a prosperous, thriving metropolis over the course of about 800 years. Depending on the place you choose, you can manage your city in the face of hordes of Muslims, Vikings bent on pillage, pagan tribes, the MONGOLS, or Christian crusaders out for blood.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Crusader Cities in Motion 2. You play as a baron or mayor, and build up your town and holdfasts into a prosperous, thriving metropolis over the course of about 800 years. Depending on the place you choose, you can manage your city in the face of hordes of Muslims, Vikings bent on pillage, pagan tribes, the MONGOLS, or Christian crusaders out for blood.
A medieval Sim City sort of thing would be fantastic. Especially if wasn't like Anno or the older iterations of Sim City and actually allowed for curvy roads and so forth. Watch your settlement expand beyond the confines of the city walls! Cry in frustration as all that is burned down by marauding enemy troops! Worry as the city core builds up and out, with overhanging stories creating fire and sanitary hazards! Try to get the old Roman sewage system working again! Etc.!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Clearly, we're getting a Rome/Dragonfire: Well of Souls crossover. All the roman emperors are now fantasy duck pirates.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

All the roman emperors are now fantasy duck pirates.

Crusader kings of dragon pass.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Alchenar posted:

Dinosaur Universalis

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Looks like EvW is about to reach its logical conclusion... shame. Mainly because I'll need to update their part of the OP, but also because now Patter will have no excuse for not LPing the game as Spain whilst crying bitter tears.

In other news, I'd love for Balance of Power to be remade...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

A medieval Sim City sort of thing would be fantastic. Especially if wasn't like Anno or the older iterations of Sim City and actually allowed for curvy roads and so forth. Watch your settlement expand beyond the confines of the city walls! Cry in frustration as all that is burned down by marauding enemy troops! Worry as the city core builds up and out, with overhanging stories creating fire and sanitary hazards! Try to get the old Roman sewage system working again! Etc.!

Being a medieval town simulator, you don't even get to really plan the roads. Perhaps the larger main arteries and such, but otherwise, you just sort of plonk the larger and more important buildings down near the main highway or waterway and the game procedurally generates roads, houses, and paths. Also, the personality and traits of your baron would determine the occurrences of various events, give bonuses and negatives to the city economy, and so on and so forth.

"Comet sighted!"

*You watch the peasants set the town alight in glorious 3d*

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Inspired by Patter Song's Vicky 2 LP, I decided to have a game of V2 last night after taking an accidental break from Paradox games for the better part of a few months. I typically always end up playing as Prussia-Germany or the USA, so I decided to try something new and go for Russia. Playing with NNM, because I dig some extra countries/fluff.

How the poo poo do I industrialize? My first tech research was Ideological Thought so I could get the extra NF, first NFs were bureaucrats and then clergy in the most populous states (from memory: Moscow and... I want to say Kharkov?). Upon noticing there were no capitalists in either of the two states, I encouraged for a few days until there were about 4 capi POPs in each. I sat back and... nothing. For the ~25 or so years I played before getting caught up in a clusterfuck war and having to close the game, there was squat progress made. I built a lumber factory in Moscow, which got some business, but none of my capitalists ever decided to make any moves.

On a related note: can the thread recommend an easily manageable learn-to-industrialise nation for someone who likes Vicky 2 but isn't the best at it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I get the impression that the EvW devs somehow convinced Paradox to let them try a "pay what you want" beta in hopes of raising enough money to finish the game, instead of being forced to cut features until they can release it on time because Paradox won't pay them any more.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Narrator posted:

On a related note: can the thread recommend an easily manageable learn-to-industrialise nation for someone who likes Vicky 2 but isn't the best at it?

Belgium if you want small and easy to manage, Sweden if you have serious GP pretensions and don't mind a few extra states.

EDIT: Also Russia has trouble industrializing because it's so illiterate. This is a major difference from Bavaria in the LP, which is one of the most literate countries in the game.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 21, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh hey, a Bavaria veteran! Perhaps you can tell me how to form the SGF as Bavaria without getting my face kicked in by Prussia? I know I need Sigmaringen and Baden and Wurttemberg as my spherelings, but every time Prussia (or Austria) decide to crush my ambitions in a Brother's War. The only time I've ever managed to get anywhere with Bavaria was the game where I gave up trying to form the SGF and just sat around making money and prestige, until the Pan-German Nationalists gave me the German crown.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: Also Russia has trouble industrializing because it's so illiterate. This is a major difference from Bavaria in the LP, which is one of the most literate countries in the game.
I just loaded up as Russia in NNM and they have something like 10-12% literacy for all pops in their most populated states. You need a pop to have a minimum of 30% literacy before they'll promote to a craftsman.

The Narrator posted:

Piedmont-Sardinia is nice for this due to only having a couple of states, but they are high population with good literacy and nice RGOs. And you aren't in immediate danger from any of your neighbors.

Belgium is nice for nearly the same reasons, but you are in immediate danger of being attacked by the Netherlands. If you survive long enough, there's an event in NNM that allows you to make a lasting peace with the Netherlands by giving up Luxemburg (do this).

Japan is nice as well because they have so many amazing RGOs, high population density and high literacy, but you'll need to modernize first. NNM farts around with some research point gain modifiers for uncivilized nations though, so you won't get the same massive influx of research points from conquest as you would in vanilla or Wiz's mod.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Oh hey, a Bavaria veteran! Perhaps you can tell me how to form the SGF as Bavaria without getting my face kicked in by Prussia?

Luck and patience and the full knowledge that you will never beat Prussia in a fair fight.

Your luckiest break is that Prussia takes just long enough to form NGF that France launches the Rhenish crisis and invades Prussia for the Rhineland, preferably allied with Russia. AI France will only actually go through with it if it has no infamy...France in my LP decided to invade Morocco instead and my hopes of having Prussia crushed early on by other people were dashed.

Austria is much weaker than it appears, but its vassal swarm of Italian and South German minors can make it more difficult than you think. You won't have as much use for infamy as you think...if you do go to war with Austria early on, feel free to add "Annex Baden" and pick up another third of a million pops to make you far more solidly a GP contender. Plus, it limits your sphere management to just Wurttemburg.

There is no plausible way to beat NGF, if it formed, without France and/or Russia doing the heavy lifting. Invading while the Prussians are away laying siege to Latvia can be a good strategy. Prussia is far easier than NGF because if you can lure them into a crisis war where they can't summon their vassal swarm (or any war in which they're not warleader, especially if they're stupid and ally with the Ottomans and the Ottomans take over the war). Without forming the NGF, Prussia is far weaker than one might imagine.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sweden is seriously nuts if you want to rapidly industrialize. 70% literacy at game start goes a long way.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Man, I love Kaiserreich, but sometimes I think that the team should step back from adding new events and nations (looking at you, Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus) and focus on cleaning up the events that already exist. I've been playing a game as Japan, and it's been a rollercoaster ride of digging through the event files trying to figure out just what the modder wants me to do to move on to the next step of making the greater east asia co-prosperity sphere. There was even a fun event regarding Mongolia where the only way it works is if you avoid immediately annexing them, because otherwise the capitulation event never fires, in contrast to basically every other capitulation event in the game.

That said the number of events in Kaiserreich is so insane that it'll never happen. Oh well, I can dream. :unsmith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Narrator posted:

How the poo poo do I industrialize? My first tech research was Ideological Thought so I could get the extra NF, first NFs were bureaucrats and then clergy in the most populous states (from memory: Moscow and... I want to say Kharkov?). Upon noticing there were no capitalists in either of the two states, I encouraged for a few days until there were about 4 capi POPs in each. I sat back and... nothing. For the ~25 or so years I played before getting caught up in a clusterfuck war and having to close the game, there was squat progress made. I built a lumber factory in Moscow, which got some business, but none of my capitalists ever decided to make any moves.

As others have said, you don't really want to encourage Capis until your POPs are literate enough to promote to Craftsmen of their own accord (and it should take about that long for yours and world-in-general's tech levels to increase enough for factories to be more profitable anyway). Encouraging Capis at a very early stage will just make them do nothing unless you shell out state funding for their factories, at which points you'll get a single factory that's barely staffed and is just draining your coffers through subsidies. NNM might make money-making easy enough for this to not matter, but the factory is still useless.

So yeah, Russia is backwards and illiterate at game start, so there's not much you can do except get your Bureaucrat and Clergyman levels up to snuff and just wait out the literacy to increase.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So yeah, Russia is backwards and illiterate at game start, so there's not much you can do except get your Bureaucrat and Clergyman levels up to snuff and just wait out the literacy to increase.

This is the same problem with trying to westernise/become a great power as China. Yeah, you have the most people by far, but your literacy is so abysmally low. It's probably the only time I've gone out of my way to use an NF to promote craftsmen.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Ofaloaf posted:

Banished might be of interest. Medieval-ish city/economy simulator.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Thanks (everyone else too) for this. My line of thinking has been flawed; I figured it was a top-down kind of deal where capis lead the process so long as they're there. So as Russia, I just basically have to eat the poor literacy rate at the start, until it gets to a point where POPs are educated enough to become craftsmen of their own accord. Guess that means I can focus more on culture/army/finance in the early game while that process happens, then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

meatbag posted:

Banished might be of interest. Medieval-ish city/economy simulator.

Wow, this actually has a release date now: Feb-18-2014. I remember reading about it as an example of a City Builder done right during the SimCity 2013 shitfest, and it's great that the guy finished it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

And as Russia, you can just put the reactionaries in charge as they are State Capitalism and build any factories you want yourself, then manually promote POPs to craftsmen (once you have a good number of clergy going idealy).

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
They're going to make an actual Game of Thrones game from the GoT mod.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Nero is a strategy game like Crusader Kings, only you play the king's right-hand man and try to prevent the insane ones from ruining everything.

I can't be the only person who would play and enjoy this. Maybe it should be called Wentworth Stories?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Necroneocon posted:

They're going to make an actual Game of Thrones game from the GoT mod.
Hint #2 is "Is this a troll attempt?", and there are no trolls in A Song of Ice and Fire.

Basically every other fantasy IP is fair game, though. Hint #1 was "There will be fire and darkness", which is also pretty generic.

Or it could be a semi-historical Dark Ages game ("fire and darkness") set in Norway and Iceland (trolls) :v:

e: hint #3 and #4 are "no provinces" and "Clausewitz as you never thought possible" which are pretty straight but don't say much about the subject matter of the game. Really #2 is the most interesting hint, and it shouts "fantasy game" so much that I keep wondering if it's a red herring.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 21, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Yeah, unfortunately the most likely thing is a fantasy game right now - not necessarily unfortunately, but I think all of us were hoping for Vae Victis 2: Electric Boogaloo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

NihilCredo posted:

Hint #2 is "Is this a troll attempt?", and there are no trolls in A Song of Ice and Fire.

Basically every other fantasy IP is fair game, though. Hint #1 was "There will be fire and darkness", which is also pretty generic.

Or it could be a semi-historical Dark Ages game ("fire and darkness") set in Norway and Iceland (trolls) :v:

e: hint #3 and #4 are "no provinces" and "Clausewitz as you never thought possible" which are pretty straight but don't say much about the subject matter of the game. Really #2 is the most interesting hint, and it shouts "fantasy game" so much that I keep wondering if it's a red herring.

Moria Universalis?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

YF-23 posted:

Moria Universalis?

"Fire and Darkness" reminds me of Moria too. I don't know if Clausewitz would be a good engine for Lord of the Rings though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

Moria Universalis?

Shadow of the Horned Rat Universalis

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

I wonder if we really are getting something totally different to the standard Paradox template of a game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Alchenar posted:

I wonder if we really are getting something totally different to the standard Paradox template of a game.

I'm not going to back down from a fantasy oriented Airfix Dogfighter until Paradox confirms it's not the case. :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

I missed this post. No provinces but it's still in Clausewitz? They going to adapt the engine into a province-less game ala Command Ops for Hearts of Iron 4.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I missed this post. No provinces but it's still in Clausewitz? They going to adapt the engine into a province-less game ala Command Ops for Hearts of Iron 4.

Smallest unit will be battalion sized.

I'd play it

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I'm psyched by this just because I have enjoyed watching the development of Paradox' in-house engines so far :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ArchangeI posted:

Smallest unit will be battalion sized.

I'd play it

Ugh. Where's your ambition? It will be the entire Second World War modeled down to individual soldiers.

Suck on that, Gary Grigsby.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Ugh. Where's your ambition? It will be the entire Second World War modeled down to individual soldiers.

Suck on that, Gary Grigsby.

Coming Summer 2014 -- the first grand strategy game for Cray XK6 supercomputers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Getting ready for the awkward moment when one of the joke terrible suggestions turns out to be spot on.

• Locked thread