Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Welp, Patrick got the hedjet and the scepter for the first time in a test run. Guess how he died? He shot himself with the scepter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Meme Emulator posted:

Welp, Patrick got the hedjet and the scepter for the first time in a test run. Guess how he died? He shot himself with the scepter

Is this not how everyone dies the fist time they get the scepter? That's how I died the one and only time I got it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Crowbear posted:

Is this not how everyone dies the fist time they get the scepter? That's how I died the one and only time I got it.

Oh yea, I did too. Its just a rite of passage. I wasnt makin fun, more like posting that hes passed an important milestone.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh yea, I did too. Its just a rite of passage. I wasnt makin fun, more like posting that hes passed an important milestone.

Based on his incredible Dark Souls luck I'm surprised he didn't get to and one-shot Yama on that run.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Crowbear posted:

Based on his incredible Dark Souls luck I'm surprised he didn't get to and one-shot Yama on that run.

Remo totally did, though.

Well not the first time he got the scepter, but he did beat Yama in one attempt.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
YAY More Giant bomb video content....

Oh, Spelunky, AGAIN. Just like every other site out there on the internet. Lovely

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

9% in holiday sales compared to last holiday season when there was nothing new.

Right, I'm saying if 360 and ps3 sales were down 22% and gamestop still made 9% more this holiday, then something had to account for that rise. I'll buy the fact that new consoles are expensive as a good explanation though.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

gallilee posted:

YAY More Giant bomb video content....

Oh, Spelunky, AGAIN. Just like every other site out there on the internet. Lovely

If ever there was a first world problem, it's too many Spelunky streams.

The Monarch posted:

I loved Dark Souls and everything I've seen about the sequel looks great. It'd be completely unreasonable to expect them to re-invent the wheel a second time (technically third because of Demon's Souls) and I seriously doubt the majority of people looking forward to the sequel expect them to. I'm pretty sure most people are just hoping that they don't gently caress it up or change stuff drastically in the name of accessibility.

I mean it has a "2" tacked on right there. If you come into it expecting anything other than new content and some improvements and adjustments to the existing systems you're being unreasonable.

I feel like most people who have kept up with Dark Souls 2 have had there fears put to rest. The challenge shouldn't belong in having to wiki up what stats, items, and covenants do I feel. If that's what they are making more clear, more power to them. I know what I wanted after finishing Dark Souls was more Dark Souls. Also, capes.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
*checks yesterday's content*

Huh, just Spelunkin' With Scoops and Bombin' in the Morning.

*checks today's content*

Huh, just Spelunkin' With Scoops.

*checks upcoming content*

Huh, just Spelunkin' With Scoops and Bombin' in the Morning.

Hmmm, what's going on?

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Welcome to "gently caress You! It's" January, aka the time of the year where all media dies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's almost like new games of any note never come out this soon after the holidays and such and yea for another month or so poo poo's gonna be dry, like every single year of games ever.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Also, yesterday was MLK Day and GB was off work.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
There were two significant releases last week, one of which was reviewed by Alex but no video was done. And they missed a ton of games last year that they could do QL's of now.

Giantbomb always seems to be backloaded though, with content really hitting starting on Wednesday. Part of why I liked Ryan doing stuff like I Love Mondays.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

There were two significant releases last week, one of which was reviewed by Alex but no video was done. And they missed a ton of games last year that they could do QL's of now.

Giantbomb always seems to be backloaded though, with content really hitting starting on Wednesday. Part of why I liked Ryan doing stuff like I Love Mondays.

You should email them, I bet you'll get a job as new head of productions or whatever because I'm positive they have never thought 'hm could we do a QL of an older game we missed'.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Yeah January is always slow for major publisher stuff, but The Banner Saga and Broken Age were both notable and very recent games releases, and in my opinion they should probably get QLs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In a less lovely toned version, Banner Saga most likely will get done but to be honest turn based grid combat is a little dull to watch so it could be reasonable that they're taking that a bit slow, and Broken Age is a pretty story heavy game and those are always a pain to make videos of because of spoilers and poo poo.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'm really enjoying the banner saga, but the only gameplay outside of the combat is conversations, simple decisions, and Oregon trail views; probably wouldn't make the best Quick Look.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm loving Patrick and all but yeah, the rest of the crew needs to get stuff out there. Not all of it needs to be super well produced, stuff like I Love Mondays was often done with an iPhone and was something people looked forward to.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fallom posted:

I'm loving Patrick and all but yeah, the rest of the crew needs to get stuff out there. Not all of it needs to be super well produced, stuff like I Love Mondays was often done with an iPhone and was something people looked forward to.

Nope sorry, you heard Tatum Girlparts. No criticism allowed.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Patrick content has been great lately and hopefully his dark souls videos get uploaded onto the site at some point for more exposure. I never really cared for his solo content but he has been killing it these past few weeks. I'm not sure why the rest of the crew doesn't do more spur of the moment low production stuff. Just a basic stream like thousands of other people do is easily done and would be likely be popular site content. They talk about how much work breaking down and putting up the set is. Just don't use it for everything. I would much rather have more content than have higher production values.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Really, 'January doesn't have many big releases' is kind of a bullshit reason for there not being content. One of the biggest strengths of GB is that they don't just do reviews and coverage of the latest and greatest games. Hell, their most popular content and biggest driver of new subscriptions for last year was Vinny playing a game released in 2011. Do a Breaking Brad, do a Sportsfriends Scrub League, do a Random PC Game, do a Load our Last Save, do Encyclopedia Bombastica, do anything with any game ever released, good or bad, and people will watch it, because of course we're watching for the people, not the games. I realize Monday was a holiday, but having literally nothing on the schedule from the main office is a little weird.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fallom posted:

Just sit Vinny/Jeff in front of anything. Could be them reading a phonebook, they'd make it entertaining somehow.

Last year's january we watched him click download buttons for EuroTruck mods, nobody cared what was released that week.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 21, 2014

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

cheesetriangles posted:

Patrick content has been great lately and hopefully his dark souls videos get uploaded onto the site at some point for more exposure. I never really cared for his solo content but he has been killing it these past few weeks. I'm not sure why the rest of the crew doesn't do more spur of the moment low production stuff. Just a basic stream like thousands of other people do is easily done and would be likely be popular site content. They talk about how much work breaking down and putting up the set is. Just don't use it for everything. I would much rather have more content than have higher production values.

I've said it before: sick of facecams on every non QL video on the site.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I did ask Patrick if he'd stream Dark Souls 2 when he got it on Twitter yesterday and he gave me a "maybe". Personally, I'd love to see him play a Dark Souls game where the community doesn't know the answers and we watch him figure things out for himself or receive misinformation from the viewers. That'd be insanely fun to watch.

Remember, if you get 25 Dex you get the somersault roll! That locket starting gift? It has to mean something and must lead to something big!!!!

(You need a ring to somersault and that locket was a big troll gift put in by the developer. Those thousands of hours of speculation and thesis-level articles written on the connections and other tin-foil hat wearing poo poo on that loving locket was all for naught.)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah they could do Enemy Unknown or something. Patrick going has really messed up some of the balance of the GB guys, he's the only one who really jumps into stuff outside his comfort zone. A few weeks ago they were reading upcoming releases and Jeff just said "none of us are going to play Bravely Default are we" but Patrick said he would but that'll obviously be a solo QL now.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Its a shame that patrick only came into his own after he moved away.

also

cronox2 posted:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You should email them, I bet you'll get a job as new head of productions or whatever because I'm positive they have never thought 'hm could we do a QL of an older game we missed'.

Jesus Christ dude.

One thing I do forget about is that three hour albatross of a podcast they do every week, which would've had to happen today.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 21, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

cronox2 posted:

Yeah I don't see the point of facecams on anything but the couch live streams. It's not as bad for 4X3 content because they want to make a widescreen video, but it's still kind of pointless.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Jesus Christ dude.

One thing I do forget about is that three hour albatross of a podcast they do every week, which would've had to happen today.

I'm sympathetic to their responsibilities but this is hardly the first slow January in history. Pre-recording some content here and there, even if it's just a video of Brad trying to get an achievement while Jeff gloats at him for twenty minutes, is worth it to avoid situations where the only person putting content on the site doesn't even work in the same timezone. He has to do it alone with zero help, rather than the nearly-zero help the rest of the guys get. I feel like they hang their hat too heavily on the "everything must be live" mentality or something. People just want to see these guys be funny playing video games, it's ok if occasionally there's no (terrible) chat in the mix.

It's a bit sad that the only person who seems to concern themselves with making sure the site gets content was bullied out by that site's community.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like to see reactions. I would have loved to see Vinny's freakout when he was fighting the Bed of Chaos and Artorias.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

The Monarch posted:

I'm sympathetic to their responsibilities but this is hardly the first slow January in history. Pre-recording some content here and there, even if it's just a video of Brad trying to get an achievement while Jeff gloats at him for twenty minutes, is worth it to avoid situations where the only person putting content on the site doesn't even work in the same timezone. He has to do it alone with zero help, rather than the nearly-zero help the rest of the guys get. I feel like they hang their hat too heavily on the "everything must be live" mentality or something. People just want to see these guys be funny playing video games, it's ok if occasionally there's no (terrible) chat in the mix.

It's a bit sad that the only person who seems to concern themselves with making sure the site gets content was bullied out by that site's community.

I totally agree with you, especially on them constantly involving their kind-of-lovely community. Giant Bomb, moreso than most other outlets, would seem to be the least-dependent on AAA game releases for content too.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There's Breaking Brad on the list now. Are you guys happy yet?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I blame Dota 2 for the dearth of content.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I would pay for two subscriptions if it meant we got to see Drew, Vinny and others play a tabletop/boardgame every fortnight.

Cyclon Vinny. The best Vinny.

EDIT: Matt just confirmed the best news.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

14 days is a long time between tabletop sessions. You have to keep up with that stuff or else all those rules will just be lost and you'll spend the beginning of each session going over things again. Doubly so now that Ian is gone and can't help remind everyone what a THAC0 is.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I blame Dota 2 for the dearth of content.

I agree, Daily Dota is not nearly daily enough

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Daius posted:

Demand Daily Double Dota.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Daius posted:

Agreed. Also DOTA Today. The best DOTA podcast.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Surprise mailbag http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-south-pole-edition/2300-8389/
CONTENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think most of you missed the new "Unfinished" category of videos they put in, too, just so they could return to still-in-development games they looked at before to have additional content sources.

And also that it was a three day weekend and they had yesterday off.

The Monarch posted:

the only person who seems to concern themselves with making sure the site gets content

Especially you, holy poo poo.

• Locked thread