Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

unpurposed posted:

I was actually reading through your guide last night and found it pretty good. Although some of the images were broken when I read it. It's pretty interesting how the terminology between 40k and Gunpla is different.

Where would I be able to find this?

Yeah yo I know this was a while ago but can you give an example of the terminology differences you mentioned, i'm a big dork and want to hear about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly? I wouldn't recommend it for you. Victory is an incredibly small MG with even smaller engineering, so if you had trouble building the Nu vKa it'll be a complete nightmare. If you're up for that, though, no reason not to. Just be warned that the V-Dash attachments don't really latch on all that well, introduce weight issues, and don't do anything to solve the Victory's inherent fragility.

I didn't really have any problems building it, I just went in blinder than I should have and wasn't expecting ~EMOTION MANIPULATORS~. These stupid hands are still a problem; my RX-78 v3 has a pretty loose wrist joint as well. My Nu ver. Ka is still a fine-looking kit, even if it isn't as poseable as some of my others.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo yes.

quote:

$170

Holy poo poo no.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Holy poo poo yes.

Holy poo poo no.

Ahahahaa fuuuuuck that, Bandai; the BTS bootleg looks better and costs like $20.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Speaking of GG Infinite, turns out they still have the Metal Build Freedom in stock. It's by far the best version of the Freedom out there, so if you're willing to pony up $200 now's your chance.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking of GG Infinite, turns out they still have the Metal Build Freedom in stock. It's by far the best version of the Freedom out there, so if you're willing to pony up $200 now's your chance.

The colors and proportions seem way off on that to me for some reason.

Fake Edit: After looking at the line art Its mostly the shoulder and skirt armor that are weirdly redesigned, though that might have something to do with the metal build. Why they changed the design of the rail gun barrel is beyond me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

Ahahahaa fuuuuuck that, Bandai; the BTS bootleg looks better and costs like $20.

I'm out of the loop on bootleg stuff - what's the BTS?

Speaking of third-party stuff, are there any good sites for info on upcoming/currently available third party goods? The couple of goods I've seen/bought have been pretty good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He's talking about the 3rd party Nu vKa Fin Funnels made by BTF. You can find them on eBay pretty easily.

Caros posted:

The colors and proportions seem way off on that to me for some reason.

The Freedom, like with the Destiny, was heavily redesigned for the Metal Build.

The cruel secret of the various SEED designs is that they aren't very good. The concepts are usually neat, but the lineart is very bland and there's a really bad case of "everything looks the same". All of the mechs really need a redesign to look great.

EDIT: Case in point, MB Destiny.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Part of me really wants the MB Destiny cause of that picture but that other half wants the MG Extreme Blast for the effect parts.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Extreme Blast is awful. Nubs everywhere, and for pretty much the same price you can get the regular MG and parts order the effect runners.

MB Destiny is currently sold out everywhere (well, for non-insane prices), but in a recurring theme of this thread lately Amazon has it up for preorder at a pretty reasonable price. Personally I'm waiting for the inevitable WoL variant though.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Extreme Blast is awful. Nubs everywhere, and for pretty much the same price you can get the regular MG and parts order the effect runners.

Really? I was under the impression that the Extreme Blast was basically the same as the normal MG just with the effect parts added in and some runners made of different coloured plastic.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Are all Robot Spirits figures 1/144 scale, because I really want the Sinanju but I don't want to deal with the amount of stickers that the HG has.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're not scaled. They're just whatever fits the plastic and price budget.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gold paint markers are like 4 bucks even where I live so you can always just go that route?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Are all Robot Spirits figures 1/144 scale, because I really want the Sinanju but I don't want to deal with the amount of stickers that the HG has.

Often they end up a touch smaller than 1/144.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Zedd posted:

Gold paint markers are like 4 bucks even where I live so you can always just go that route?

If I can keep my hands steady I may end up doing that, I just don't want to deal with like... 32 stickers for all the Sleeves filigree.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Really? I was under the impression that the Extreme Blast was basically the same as the normal MG just with the effect parts added in and some runners made of different coloured plastic.

It is the exact same as the MG. It's just that the "different coloured plastic" is chromed.

And you know what that means.

TARDISman posted:

RD kits are only in scale with RDs in the same series. Otherwise, they're nonscale.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

And you know what that means.

If you don't know what it means, it means taht every loving chromed piece on the model is going to end up scratched to hell and looking like poo poo because the chromed bits scrap off and look like rear end.

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

Also, I'll admit that side by side if nothing else I like the proportions of the metal build. Everything is a little longer so it feels less stubby.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Caros posted:

Also, I'll admit that side by side if nothing else I like the proportions of the metal build. Everything is a little longer so it feels less stubby.

This seems to be a common problem with SEED suits, most of the designs are improved by making them a bit lankier.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So they finally revealed what Miss Sazabi and Exia Dark Matter look like and I gotta say Exia looks pretty awful. On the other hand...

Moonlight Butterfly effect parts! :allears:

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Caros posted:

If you don't know what it means, it means taht every loving chromed piece on the model is going to end up scratched to hell and looking like poo poo because the chromed bits scrap off and look like rear end.

Does this hold true for those titanium finish kits too?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gihon posted:

I have the full burst destiny or whatever and the corresponding strike freedom. I built them when the kits were new. I havent noticed any scratching. What climate do you guys have in the rooms where they are being displayed?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I have the full burst destiny or whatever and the corresponding strike freedom. I built them when the kits were new. I havent noticed any scratching. What climate do you guys have in the rooms where they are being displayed?

Yeah, I've got both of those special editions (though I sadly lost the effect parts for both :smith:), and they still hold up well, even after my lovely packing job and moving. They even had the decency to undergate most of the chromed parts so you don't get big black marks everywhere, just on the hands.

Looking at that dalong picture though, reminds me of when I used to panel line the entire inner frame of Seed kits. Why.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Moonlight Butterfly effect parts! :allears:

Awesome.

Gihon posted:

No, chromed kits don't have the paint scratch off or anything. The real problem is that unless a kit was specifically made with a chrome finish in mind (Hyaku Shiki, Delta Gundam, Akatsuki), the nubs will be absolutely awful. We went through this discussion back when the Phenex was announced.

S-Alpha posted:

They even had the decency to undergate most of the chromed parts so you don't get big black marks everywhere, just on the hands.

Really? The one I saw in person at a display a while back had incredibly bad nubs all over the chromed parts, it was hideous.

EDIT: Looking at dalong, seems they are. Huh, I guess that builder just sucked.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 22, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gihon posted:

The Extra Finish/Titanium Finish kits or any kit where the external armor has a special finish applied fare worse than the kits that just have a few extra shiny parts. When there are just a few parts, they will do a new runner that is designed so the sprue marks are hidden from view when the kit is assembled. When there are a lot of parts that get a special finish, they just coat the designs they already have so the sprue marks are often very obvious. I built the Strike Freedom Extra Finish in a hotel room one day, and while the chromed parts were designed so that you couldn't see the snips (hands notwithstanding), the armor parts generally looked awful.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TARDISman posted:

So they finally revealed what Miss Sazabi and Exia Dark Matter look like and I gotta say Exia looks pretty awful. On the other hand...

It's not on Gundam Guy, where was that?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's not on Gundam Guy, where was that?

But it is? :confused:

Miss Sazabi
Exia Dark Matter

I honestly don't know what to think of these two. I like the colors on both, especially the Miss Sazabi, but the designs are just so ehhhh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's what I felt about the Build Strike, but seeing it in action made me love it. Not feeling the Dark Matter's color palette though. I get that it's going for maximum edgy, but its hard to make out any details like that. Especially on the face. Miss Sazabi on the other hand looks like somebody gave the Sazabi the usual Gundam proportions, which is neat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I actually like the faces/torsos on both, it's everything else that I don't like. The Dark Matter's backpack is especially awful to me, but the chest spikes around the orb and the faceplate look so cool to me. I actually like it so much, I think I'll actually use that as a base for a kitbash once I start learning how to paint. Maybe with the rest of the parts being from the Gundam X Maoh.

Also, as an aside: gently caress you Bandai, stop releasing MG recolors that I really want

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, the Dark Matter's backpack seems really odd and would just constantly get in the way. Everything else about the suit is nice except for the garish colors.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Also, as an aside: gently caress you Bandai, stop releasing MG recolors that I really want

I'm actually considering getting that too, it'd save me the hassle of recoloring the normal FA Gundam's armor. Don't know if I want to wait till April though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I really like Miss Sazabi but then again I'm a sucker for female suits in general. As for the Exia Dark Matter, it feels like a Hot Topic store vomited on a Gundam and Bandai just shrugged and said "Looks fine to me."

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I want to get that Miss Sazabi and paint the skirt armor a black and pink plaid.

Actually, replace that want with "am going to".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm actually considering getting that too, it'd save me the hassle of recoloring the normal FA Gundam's armor. Don't know if I want to wait till April though.

It's a step closer to a Red Warrior Ver Ka so I'm assuming my prayers are working

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What floor polish do I want to look for in the UK? As far as I can tell Pledge with future shine isn't sold here any more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it's called Klear in the UK now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

S-Alpha posted:

Holy poo poo yes.

Holy poo poo no.
Eh, just buy a Nu Gundoom and you'll have all the fin funnels(and hyper bazookas) you could ever want!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

Eh, just buy a Nu Gundoom and you'll have all the fin funnels(and hyper bazookas) you could ever want!

The Nu Gundoom is only 1/144 (or technically 1/120) scale though, and not everyone is a fan of the Evolve design.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

S-Alpha posted:

But it is? :confused:

Miss Sazabi
Exia Dark Matter

I honestly don't know what to think of these two. I like the colors on both, especially the Miss Sazabi, but the designs are just so ehhhh.

You missed the RG Exia sculpt pictures.

It's looking very nice and slim, and judging by the indents in the thighs they'll be using rubber or whatever for the external cables all throughout it. The only gimmick piece I really want out of it is a hand specifically for holding three two of those throwing knife things at once.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
edit: ignore dis.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 23, 2014

• Locked thread