Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just a word of warning, a Deva+Devabot combo is another obvious LT in vanilla Aleph. Still, they're cheaper and the Devabots give them another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So now that I've picked up a bit of terrain, I was playing around with some board setups. I know the basic kinda rules, like no long fire lanes and shouldn't be any tall terrain to stand on in any of the deployment zones, but one thing that I can't quite get a handle on is how much terrain should be in the deployment areas. I feel like there should be more clutter there, but at the same time want to avoid having too many building to start on.

At the moment I'm just playing on a dining table, and its longer that it is wide, making the field a bit narrow. Trying to remedy that by getting a wooden board set up at some point though.

The marker and tape measure are marking out the deployment areas. The right side probably has a better set up than the sparse scatter I have on the other end.

I feel like I need some chunkier scatter, and maybe some bridges but other than that, does it look like I should have enough to play on here?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Should be enough, as long as you count the holes in the billboards as filled.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Would I be lying if I described this game as MOBA-esque to my LoL-loving friends? Infinity seems to have a lower entry cost than Hordes, so it'd probably be more likely that I could convince them to give this a shot.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ijyt posted:

Would I be lying if I described this game as MOBA-esque to my LoL-loving friends? Infinity seems to have a lower entry cost than Hordes, so it'd probably be more likely that I could convince them to give this a shot.

Well, the game IS all about firing lanes. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

bhsman posted:

Well, the game IS all about firing lanes. :v:

Haha, ok not the lane aspect or towers and poo poo, but in terms of a large "champion" pool, with varying abilities and focus on synergy?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Something like MERCs is closer to LoL with the Champion aspect, as they're all individual characters, whereas most things in Infinity are just flat profiles, solders of X regiment or Y squadron for example.

From a gameplay perspective I can sort of see what you mean though. It's a group vs group fight relying on the abilities/skills of individuals to beat the opponent.

It's really hard to compare a wargame to a MOBA though I think.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fair enough. It's just getting a tad tiring with my group where, while we're all heavily invested in 40k (and to an extent, Fantasy), most of us can't ever seem to synchronise our free time to play those long-rear end games.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

Haha, ok not the lane aspect or towers and poo poo, but in terms of a large "champion" pool, with varying abilities and focus on synergy?
That would be Malifaux.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Why is choosing a skirmish game so hard. :negative:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ijyt posted:

Why is choosing a skirmish game so hard. :negative:

Because there are so many, so, so many of them, and you kinda tie your hands a lot when you compare them to a video game.

Also, no matter what ground you land on it's basically a hundred bucks to get going.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Besides, Infinity is Valkyria Chronicles :colbert:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Infinity is more like XCOM.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Besides, Infinity is Valkyria Chronicles :colbert:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yes, yes those will do nicely. It might be worth my time just buying up some models so they can see the quality of 'em, while proxying the rest so we can experience the rules.

Worst comes to worst I sell the models on eBay/put them on my shelf.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

We will be watching. you spend money

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

Yes, yes those will do nicely. It might be worth my time just buying up some models so they can see the quality of 'em, while proxying the rest so we can experience the rules.

Worst comes to worst I sell the models on eBay/put them on my shelf.

So, which factions?

(don't kid yourself into thinking you're only getting one)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pierzak posted:

So, which factions?

(don't kid yourself into thinking you're only getting one)

I quite like the Ghost in the Shell vibe of PanOceania/Yu Jing have, and Ariadna for the British special forces look (also that underdog pun in the OP).

Haven't quite read into the play styles of the factions yet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ijyt posted:

I quite like the Ghost in the Shell vibe of PanOceania/Yu Jing have, and Ariadna for the British special forces look (also that underdog pun in the OP).

Haven't quite read into the play styles of the factions yet.

Isn't ALEPH supposed to be the Ghost In The Shell looking one?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can see what he means, PanO does scream Appleseed and GitS.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

poo poo yeah I was just about to post, it's Appleseed I was thinking of for PanOceania.

But the little Mulebots and Armbots remind me of Tachikoma the most.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ijyt posted:

poo poo yeah I was just about to post, it's Appleseed I was thinking of for PanOceania.

But the little Mulebots and Armbots remind me of Tachikoma the most.

I really like ALEPH's AI Beacons. Something about the fluff idea of them going "Ok, this is ours now." and proceeding to construct-additional-pylons all over your face.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I'm assuming the starter sets would have be covered (apart for terrain/rules) for a basic game?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

So I'm assuming the starter sets would have be covered (apart for terrain/rules) for a basic game?
Nope, the starters are not points-balanced, they're just 6 models each (unless you just want to run a "3 grunts with rifles and a HI" to learn the rules). Assume that a starter + 2 blisters will be enough.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I need to play XCOM. :sigh:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

bhsman posted:

I only played it recently, and the whole time I kept thinking of Infinity. Though it has Overwatch instead of reactionary firing, but still...smoke grenades, utilizing cover or you die, alien murder squads...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

bhsman posted:

Yes, you do.

A re-skinned XCom would make suuuuuuch a good Necromunda game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Nope, the starters are not points-balanced, they're just 6 models each (unless you just want to run a "3 grunts with rifles and a HI" to learn the rules). Assume that a starter + 2 blisters will be enough.

I'm a bit confused on the different roles of the models in this game, so if I go with the Aleph starter pack what am I looking to buy?

If it helps, I like the look of the Maruts and Rebots :shobon:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

ijyt posted:

I'm a bit confused on the different roles of the models in this game, so if I go with the Aleph starter pack what am I looking to buy?

If it helps, I like the look of the Maruts and Rebots :shobon:

The Aleph pack gives you an Asura (top dog, hard as nails but expensive unit), a Deva (in the box she has to be your hacker in order to make it a legal list), a Naga (stealthy infiltrating model with mines) and three Dakinis (basic rifle robots).

In small games the Asura will be almost half your points - she's 70+ points in a game played at 200-300 points. Good first purchases would probably be the box of Devas with Devabots (to give you an alternative lieutenant model and a "spare" Deva you can use as one of the other options), or the Myrmidon Officer blister pack (again, a cheaper commander - the Myrmidon is more of a utility model with stealth and smoke grenades).

Rebots are a good purchase - they're mobile defensive units that can get into awkward places and lay down good amounts of heavy weapon fire for not many points. The Marut on the other hand is the biggest, costliest thing in the entire faction - it's a 126-point giant robot that you need to design a list around rather than just including in a normal list.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bob Smith posted:

The Aleph pack gives you an Asura (top dog, hard as nails but expensive unit), a Deva (in the box she has to be your hacker in order to make it a legal list), a Naga (stealthy infiltrating model with mines) and three Dakinis (basic rifle robots).

In small games the Asura will be almost half your points - she's 70+ points in a game played at 200-300 points. Good first purchases would probably be the box of Devas with Devabots (to give you an alternative lieutenant model and a "spare" Deva you can use as one of the other options), or the Myrmidon Officer blister pack (again, a cheaper commander - the Myrmidon is more of a utility model with stealth and smoke grenades).

Rebots are a good purchase - they're mobile defensive units that can get into awkward places and lay down good amounts of heavy weapon fire for not many points. The Marut on the other hand is the biggest, costliest thing in the entire faction - it's a 126-point giant robot that you need to design a list around rather than just including in a normal list.

Is there a list like this anywhere, that tells you exactly what each unit is 'good at'?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Deviant posted:

Is there a list like this anywhere, that tells you exactly what each unit is 'good at'?

This forum thread is a very in-depth run through of every unit and variant in the entire faction - if you go on the Infinity forums there's a similar thread for almost all the factions.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

Devas and Rebots it is then. I'll pick up the Marut eventually though because that model. :swoon:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

ijyt posted:

Devas and Rebots it is then. I'll pick up the Marut eventually though because that model. :swoon:

It is quite nice, although getting the machine gun arms on is a slight pain.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What do you guys do for terrain? I love the MDF cut out terrain, but for example a Bug Hunt Corridors or MAS set to populate a 4x4' board would cost about £200. And that is a scary number.

e: Actually it would probably be barely enough.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 22, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
- Badlands: foam rocks/abandoned industrial buildings - cheap but time consuming
- cardboard boxes with cardboard reliefs glued on and painted - easy, cheap, hard to get the look really well
- random industrial crap
- awesome themed tables (if you're doing this you're way better than me and why are you even asking)
- learn to repurpose/repaint random household objects

Also, cheap aquarium plants.

Basically, you can go 3 ways: Cheap & stylized, awesome & horribly expensive, or awesome & self-made (needs lots of talent & time).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pierzak posted:

- Badlands: foam rocks/abandoned industrial buildings - cheap but time consuming
- cardboard boxes with cardboard reliefs glued on and painted - easy, cheap, hard to get the look really well
- random industrial crap
- awesome themed tables (if you're doing this you're way better than me and why are you even asking)
- learn to repurpose/repaint random household objects

Also, cheap aquarium plants.

Basically, you can go 3 ways: Cheap & stylized, awesome & horribly expensive, or awesome & self-made (needs lots of talent & time).

Wow I so focused on the urban aspect I didn't even think to use some of the Tau/badland rocks I've been working on for my 40k board. :downs:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Look up Scenery Planet on youtube, they make tables for Infinity (also 40k & others) and you can see how can awesome tables be done - super-clean high-tech PanO city, half-overgrown modular Paradiso base, Nomad cargo ship, the possibilities are many.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those are straight up ridiculous, and even if I had the skill to make those tables, my main issue is storage. That's why the modular MDF seemed so appealing, unless it needs gluing to be stable.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So this happened.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm scared that'll happen to soon, too. Though I've forced myself to not buy any models until I finish a good portion of my Tau first.

Didn't say I couldn't buy £80 of micro arts terrain though. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pierzak posted:

Look up Scenery Planet on youtube, they make tables for Infinity (also 40k & others) and you can see how can awesome tables be done - super-clean high-tech PanO city, half-overgrown modular Paradiso base, Nomad cargo ship, the possibilities are many.

Oh but for English subtitles. Still really inspiring stuff.

• Locked thread