Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ev posted:

My grandfather passed away recently and before he died, he handed off his collection of coins and paper money to me. I gave it to my dad because that was his wish, but I don't think he thinks it's worth figuring if there's anything valuable there. Not that we want to sell it, but I'm curious.

It's a big collection and I have no idea where to start. There's paper money circa the revolutionary war, maybe some from the confederacy too. Is there a site that lists reputable dealers that would be open to trying to evaluate/assess the collection? I was going to try it myself but it's just too much for me to take on right now with work and the holidays.

There are a few coins that he gave me separately from the rest of the collection and I may post pictures of those here at some point too, they're old gold coins, but that's a different matter form the bulk of the collection.

If you come across any Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars or silver rounds/bars let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for the replies everyone. The collection definitely isn't organized and there is a huge amount of work to get it even close to organized.

After the holidays I may take some pictures of the gold coins I have and maybe some of the paper money and post them here, but I guess I should try to make an inventory of it all?

I just googled what a Morgan dollar is and I feel like he might have had some of those. I'll have to start digging through all of it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So for Christmas my uncle gave me his entire coin collection from when he was younger. I've sorted through everything but am still cataloging it. He are some pictures so far.

A Matron Head Coronet Cent from from 1817 and a Braided Hair Coronet Cent from 1851.

1941 and 1942 Silver Walking Liberty Half Dollars.

1891 Silver Morgan Dollar.

1923 Silver Peace Dollar.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

EDIT: Does someone who knows more about coins and paper money wanna make a thread so I can stop photo-bombing this thread?

Sorry about the double post but I just took some more pictures.

Ten 1964 90% Silver Kennedy Half Dollars.

Ten 40% Silver Kennedy Half Dollars.

3 Silver Barber Dimes and 1 Silver Mercury Dime.

An 1865 3¢ Nickel.

Going to sell/trade the silver dimes and the 3¢ nickel as I prefer the aesthetics and physical weight of larger coins. How much do you think I could get for all 5 coins? I'd be happy with $20.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 27, 2013

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

EDIT: Does someone who knows more about coins and paper money wanna make a thread so I can stop photo-bombing this thread?

I think that's exactly what this thread is for :) Keep going, photos and analysis are why I'm reading this thread.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Somebody told me that >$100 bills are still carted around between federal gov't agencies for their internal transactions. Is this true? I figure this is the best place to ask.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Mescal posted:

Somebody told me that >$100 bills are still carted around between federal gov't agencies for their internal transactions. Is this true? I figure this is the best place to ask.

I've never heard that and as they're worth well over face in any grade I would have to say I doubt it. The $100,000 gold certificates were never released to the public and were used for internal transfers of large amounts of money, maybe that's what you're referring to?

A government agency (I won't say which) had a bunch of $500s and $1,000s graded with us (PCGS) and then they sold them in the Chicago area, evidently they were from a mobster bust.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Went to the coin shop this afternoon and traded in all my junk silver coins except for dollars and half dollars. Combined with an old broken 14K gold necklace I was able to get $141. I picked up 5 American Silver Eagles, a bunch of airtight cases and got the rest back in change. Right now my stack consists of 7 American Silver Eagles (2007-2013), 2 Morgan Dollars, 1 Peace Dollar, 4 Eisenhower Dollars, 3 Walking Liberty Half Dollars, 10 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars and 10 1965-1970 Kennedy Half Dollars.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

BUMP:

Picked up this beauty the other day. They are limited runs so they are more expensive than your typical round, but I love them.

2017 Zombucks Morgue Anne $50 1 oz .999 Fine Silver

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So non-silver Eisenhowers are worth face value. But they're not in circulation. Is it possible to buy them in quantity at near face value?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Mescal posted:

So non-silver Eisenhowers are worth face value. But they're not in circulation. Is it possible to buy them in quantity at near face value?

Check out eBay. My local coin shop likes to give back those and other non-precious metal $1 coins in change.

I traded in 10 40% Kennedy halves, some Walking Liberty halves and anything that wasn't .999 bullion or 90% 1964 Kennedy halves for another 10 1964 Kennedy Halves for a complete 20 roll.

I was at my parents' house a few days ago going through my old toy bin when I came across an old broken 14K necklace I had from when I was in elementary school. Took it to my LCS and they gave me $93 for it. Picked up three ASE's - 2006, 2005 and 2004.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
My husband found this old 1914 D penny which is obviously in very terrible condition. Looking online, this penny in mint condition could be worth a couple grand, is it worth anything at all in this condition?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Its hard to say. Do you have a microfiber cloth? I would try using one to wipe away and loose excess grime on it. Don't use anything abrasive like a paper towel. Take it to your local coin shop and see what they say. Or take it to eBay and see what the people bid on it. I like to clean my copper pennies with lemon juice and salt but you DO NOT wanna do this with a key date penny.

Post pics after your wipe is down a little with a microfiber cloth.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Its hard to say. Do you have a microfiber cloth? I would try using one to wipe away and loose excess grime on it. Don't use anything abrasive like a paper towel. Take it to your local coin shop and see what they say. Or take it to eBay and see what the people bid on it. I like to clean my copper pennies with lemon juice and salt but you DO NOT wanna do this with a key date penny.

Post pics after your wipe is down a little with a microfiber cloth.

Apparently that picture is after my husband "cleaned it with acid" after I told him not to clean it with anything. I'm out of town, I couldn't stop him! :)

He said he found it in what was probably an old fire pit so it's pretty well messed up anyhow. He said it was completely covered with burned up soot and whatnot.

Thanks for the info, just curious if it was worth anything! We live in a ghost town and there's all sorts of weird crap like this around from the old homesteads and whatnot. Maybe I could make a living finding old pennies!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

BUMP:

Picked up this beauty the other day. They are limited runs so they are more expensive than your typical round, but I love them.

2017 Zombucks Morgue Anne $50 1 oz .999 Fine Silver

Anybody else notice it's a "Morgue Anne" coin? If you don't get it, try saying it out loud :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If you are into silver and zombies check out the Zombucks line at Provident Metals. I just picked up their 1st design the Walker on eBay. They just released their 3rd design the Zombuff.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have some pretty cheesy fake coins; what's the most ethical thing to do with them? They're a bunch of stamped fakes of silver coins from Australia, Mexico, South Africa, etc. About the size of an Eisenhower dollar, with reeded edges, and by no coincidence all of the exact same dimensions. I figure they must be blank steel slugs struck in a die.

I bought them cheap from an on-base merchant in Afghanistan, they're a reasonably common item amongst all the other fake antiquities they sell to servicemen. I knew at the time they were fake, since they're clearly ferrous (visible flecks of rust on the outside). Also a few were screwups where they'd have a South African face and a Mexican obverse or whatnot.

I got them as novelties, but I don't want them to get someone's hopes ups in thinking they have a valuable coin, or using them to scam a particularly dense someone else. Should I just chuck them in the trash, or bore holes through them, or what? I'd happily mail them to whomever for cost of shipping if anyone has any actual legit uses for these.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Picked this up the other week.

Here is a roll of 1964 90% Kennedy halves.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not quite a currency coin but maybe some one in this thread can help me with this.

Back says "Dos Onzas Troy 999 plata pura"

Two Ounce Troy .999 Pure Silver"

Front says "Poncho Villa"

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Looks like a 2 oz .999 silver bullion round.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I just saw a 500, a silver certificate one, and a red stamp two. How much are those worth approximately? The red stamp was a "united states note" but it was series 1963--but I thought red stamps were gold standard notes?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

they all depend greatly on the year, district in the case of the $500 and condition
in the shittiest of condition a $500 will bring $600
a silver certificate $1 could be a number of different things between 1928-1957 the range here is literally like $1.25-$50,000
a 1963 $2 red seal is a "United States Note" or "Legal Tender" for slang in the hobby, not backed by gold in '63 $2.25-a couple hundred bucks for a high grade star note

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Are unbroken BEP and Fed currency straps (not straps OF bills) of any value or interest to anyone?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

generally no unless they're super old

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've got a 1957 silver certificate in pretty poor condition. Mint mark is "F" I think. What's it worth, like two bucks or something?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

pennies over face unfortunately

I sell these for less than $10 a piece in uncirculated grade

The F is the prefix letter in the serial number, it's just to denote that they rolled over to 100 million notes starting with A00000001A, which for this series they did many times, they rolled over through the whole alphabet and after Z they had to go to AxxxxxxxxB, and then they even had to roll to B-B, they printed over 2.6 billion notes for this series

If you have one from the B-B block it's worth some decent money ($100+ uncirculated)

either this is what you're referring to or you mean the Series is 1957B of which they printed another 700 million

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanks for the info. It's A43143850A. The upper left and lower right have a little F2 and F624.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

ah,

F624 is the face plate used and F2 is the area within that 32 subject plate that this note was

while some people think the US just prints money like wild with no regard, they actually are extremely anal and keep meticulous records and have from the beginning

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Picked up a few things... :)

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
I have a basic coin question about something I see periodically. Is the 'shadowing' below the dates and the stars a result of the coin being struck twice and being shifted slightly?

For more content, here's a non-US coin I picked up recently. An 1809 dated 32 Shilling from Hamburg that was minted in 1815 by Napoleonic occupation forces. I have it at an angle to show some of the luster behind the dark toning. Bigger than a half dollar. Smaller than a dollar.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I believe that type of shadowing is just mechanical doubling (AKA machine doubling), caused by a slight shifting of the dies during the striking process. It's fairly common and unlike a doubled die, does not add any premium.

I love that Hamburg coin! I've always found Napoleonic era coins interesting and the electric-blue toning is an added bonus.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have too many old coins to scan for this thread. I have an almost complete Lincoln Cent collection from 1901-Onward, including most D and S. Also some old Indian pennies from the 19th century. I need to go get my scanner out.

Reposting from the other thread:

See how many currencies you can identify!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got this beauty in the mail today:

I think I'm going to put a hold on silver with high premiums for a bit and start buying generic rounds. I also really want a roll of Franklin halves.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I know this thread trends towards US currency, but thought I'd ask anyways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_money

Mine:

I got them semi-by-accident while buying a lot of used books, they were neatly wrapped inside one of the boxes. While it'd be fantastic if fate just handed me some 2400 year old coins, I'm assuming these are some of the many copies made for souvenirs (esp during/immediately after WWII, which would easily explain them ending up here in VA). But I figured no harm in asking, if anyone can even take a look at that bronze itself and immediately judge for me "nice paperweight" or "holy shitballs woman you got Zhou dynasty poo poo there". I need rent and would hate to let these go for a song if they're in any way valuable.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I know this thread trends towards US currency, but thought I'd ask anyways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_money

Mine:

I got them semi-by-accident while buying a lot of used books, they were neatly wrapped inside one of the boxes. While it'd be fantastic if fate just handed me some 2400 year old coins, I'm assuming these are some of the many copies made for souvenirs (esp during/immediately after WWII, which would easily explain them ending up here in VA). But I figured no harm in asking, if anyone can even take a look at that bronze itself and immediately judge for me "nice paperweight" or "holy shitballs woman you got Zhou dynasty poo poo there". I need rent and would hate to let these go for a song if they're in any way valuable.

Likely fakes, though still an interesting item. This page has a photo of the genuine article. Yours has very similar characters, but you can see on the example the characters are stamped, not raised, and look much more primitive:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67107

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It looks like characters can be raised but still those are probably reproductions.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china1.htm#chi knife

According to that page the common real deals only go for about $50 anyway. China probably has an endless supply of really old things floating around.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

It looks like characters can be raised but still those are probably reproductions.

They can be, but I think it's an attempt to copy this one in particular:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

Likely fakes, though still an interesting item. This page has a photo of the genuine article. Yours has very similar characters, but you can see on the example the characters are stamped, not raised, and look much more primitive:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67107

Haha, yep, I actually already read that thread (I got the info about WWII souvenirs from the 3rd post down :blush:). Just figured I get a second/nth opinion, y'never know*. The stamped vs. raised thing is a great point though, thanks!

*I once worked at a charity thrift store. We got donated a hokey, amateur-looking painting that turned out to be worth $4000 once somebody finally figured out the signature. After that, we couldn't put any art on the floor without a good googlin'. Never hurts to check anything out, no matter how unlikely imho.

edit:

Uncle Jam posted:

According to that page the common real deals only go for about $50 anyway. China probably has an endless supply of really old things floating around.

Eh, I asked the coin dealer at my market his opinion, and he said if it was legit, then closer to the $200-400 range. Same for that thread AuntBuck posted, which was $400+. :shrug: (Not knockin' yer post, just reminded me of some advice I got from SA couple years ago when selling a rare comic book: "it's worth what's it's worth to someone")

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 9, 2014

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

They're so rare in the US, that's gonna make pricing difficult anyway. It's gotta be worth something as a WWII souvenir. Do you have a scan of the other side? Just out of curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

They're so rare in the US, that's gonna make pricing difficult anyway. It's gotta be worth something as a WWII souvenir. Do you have a scan of the other side? Just out of curiosity.

Sure thing! On closer inspection, it looks like a mirror image of the characters on the obverse. Genuine articles seem to have differing patterns on the sides, so that'd make it all the more likely that the A/T thread on Chinese language has correctly translated the old school characters on the box as "ancient Chinese coin paperweight". :(

Ah well, still a neat item for my shop. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Reverse:

(and for side-by-side comparing, here's the obverse again:

• Locked thread