Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
go DaZeD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just had a teamstack where I was with four dudes who decided to throw four molotovs at spawn so you'd have to run through it. Every round possible. When I mentioned this in global to vent they decided I was too uncool for them and votekicked me out. God bless Counter-Strike.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Proves that CoD players can play pro CS :v:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just had a teamstack where I was with four dudes who decided to throw four molotovs at spawn so you'd have to run through it. Every round possible. When I mentioned this in global to vent they decided I was too uncool for them and votekicked me out. God bless Counter-Strike.
I mean... you're solo matchmaking. I don't wanna say you were walking down a dark alley etc etc buuuut

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What are some tips for Ts on Inferno? Playing CT comes pretty natural but I'm lost when I have to push; it feels like I'm constantly gambling at every corner, and I only have so many nades. I've only played it a handful of times so far but I'm noticing each team performing noticeably better when they're on the CT side, so I suspect I'm not the only confused noob.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilCredo posted:

What are some tips for Ts on Inferno? Playing CT comes pretty natural but I'm lost when I have to push; it feels like I'm constantly gambling at every corner, and I only have so many nades. I've only played it a handful of times so far but I'm noticing each team performing noticeably better when they're on the CT side, so I suspect I'm not the only confused noob.

Buy a p90, rush apartments every round. Alternate between going through the stairs and jumping from the haystack.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Negev in apartments is hilarious. Basically always buy a negev.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

NihilCredo posted:

For Inferno I feel as though the best advice is to learn smokes and flashes. I think Inferno has surpassed maps like Train and Nuke as being most dependent on a) a team full of good players, or b) a team who knows some basic strats. If you're just playing regular MM, I'd learn how to do stuff like smoke off CT & coils at B, how to molotov new box and some effective flashes. Same for A, learn how to smoke arches, balcony, pit, etc.

Lately I've been smoking off quad and picking arches from middle, because that's the spot on the map where someone always plays and has the fewest spots to actually play from, so you'll be a lot more successful than trying to pick in B or from balcony. Getting the first kill on A will also force one of the B players to drop to, at least, CT spawn, which opens up more chances.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

mcvey posted:

I mean... you're solo matchmaking. I don't wanna say you were walking down a dark alley etc etc buuuut

gamers.txt

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

mcvey posted:

Proves that CoD players can play pro CS :v:

The old Curse guys were playing CoD and AVA before going invite too

kcer posted:

For Inferno I feel as though the best advice is to learn smokes and flashes. I think Inferno has surpassed maps like Train and Nuke as being most dependent on a) a team full of good players, or b) a team who knows some basic strats.

AGree

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 20, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I had a lot of success rushing anywhere with a p90 in inferno. Both sides. Highest chicken killing potential too.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Always fun to own the mid on both sides. And nade the underpass.

Finally got my ten MM wins and ranked at Silver 4 despite getting MVP a lot. What were other people's initial rank? I'm in China so hard to find a team, just trying to friend those I like playing with and see how we go from there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

mcvey posted:

Have been for a while though and I've had bad teams but never deliberate griefing like that. Maybe the good matches are the flukes.

When do operations end? Bravo ends today and I have work 6 central and I'm a mere two hours short on getting a gold coin. I figure it dies at 10 pacific like all Valve things but if it lasts through the evening I'll be happy. Only got three or four matches this weekend due to matchmaking being down or whatever was up.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Have been for a while though and I've had bad teams but never deliberate griefing like that. Maybe the good matches are the flukes.

I would guess that I have played more solo MM games than anyone posting in this thread and overall I think it's a good experience. The bad games suck, but griefing like you mentioned is pretty rare and everything else can be solved by just muting people. Queue on, brother

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Solo MM is amazing for stuff like this. Was playing cbble yesterday (GOTTA GET THEM BRAVO HOURS) and got paired with a team of 4. We were on CT and I was taking care of Long A / Cat - we were getting rolled round after round because the Ts would just rush to A, I would spot it early and call it, but the one of them watching mid was up in the stupid little sniper windows and three were at B. Nobody would rotate until bomb was planted, at which point they couldn't break into A and we would just lose. After like 7 rounds in a row of this I called them out on not rotating and they votekicked me.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Cuntpunch posted:

Nobody would rotate until bomb was planted, at which point they couldn't break into A and we would just lose.

I've been griefed here or there, but the main thing I've seen about random teammates in these game is that joe pubstar the solo queue guy is always extremely passive.

They never peek anything, and just bait like crazy to protect their precious KDR. I gave up caring about this awhile ago and just take it that my 'entry-fragging' will improve playing with a bunch of babies like this.

Another thing is on CT, if your teammmate is wallin', and you ask him where he wants to defend, he'll often say "uh.. i'll just roam or do whatever." That's fine. Let him do that, he'll probably carry the team easily. If you are covering a tough assignment and he isn't helping, don't sweat it. You'll be fine.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Nuke and Inferno are brutal maps T side mostly because a lot of players are afraid of dying and/or going first in a push to put a crack in the CT team's holds on areas. If you got a team with confidence and little fear of fighting people set up on those tight corridor peeks than you're gonna start winning rounds instead of being picked off one by one.

You're gonna have that in a lot of maps, really, but on chokepoint maps like Inferno and Nuke, the effect is exacerbated.

OwnedByNiko
Jan 15, 2014
Pretty harsh community. I joined a 10 man and they all yelled at me for having too much tai chi. :911:

Nah, first game with some guys. Kcer introduced me to what you guys were all about. Joined a 10 man right after and finally played with some people who knew what they were doing. Pretty enjoyable game that ended in a tie. Pretty nice group, looking forward to playing with you guys more.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Xenaero posted:

Nuke and Inferno are brutal maps T side mostly because a lot of players are afraid of dying and/or going first in a push to put a crack in the CT team's holds on areas. If you got a team with confidence and little fear of fighting people set up on those tight corridor peeks than you're gonna start winning rounds instead of being picked off one by one.

You're gonna have that in a lot of maps, really, but on chokepoint maps like Inferno and Nuke, the effect is exacerbated.

I watched some pro CSGO the other night for the first time and one of the most striking/impressive things was how effectively they were able to rush through choke points as 5 on maps like inferno and clean poo poo up.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

causticBeet posted:

I watched some pro CSGO the other night for the first time and one of the most striking/impressive things was how effectively they were able to rush through choke points as 5 on maps like inferno and clean poo poo up.

Everyone knows where they're supposed to look on entry and what corners to check, everyone knows where the flashes/smokes are going to go off and what they cover. It's easy to clear a lane if there are only a couple of places the CTs can effectively fight from during a play.

Anyone can do it, just takes a lot of practice, coordination and confidence. Confidence is huge in CS.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

causticBeet posted:

It's "easy" to do this when people don't get scared because a bullet went past them, HE hit them, or a flashbang flew in their face. Also, when your teammates know how to flash/smoke... like a guy gets designated as the flasher one as smoker etc etc

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

MF_James posted:

It's "easy" to do this when people don't get scared because a bullet went past them, HE hit them, or a flashbang flew in their face. Also, when your teammates know how to flash/smoke... like a guy gets designated as the flasher one as smoker etc etc

Oh I'm sure it's not the most impressive thing to more seasoned players, but as someone who hasn't even finished their placement matches it's cool to see and helpful to get an idea of how things are supposed to work.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

mcvey posted:

Confidence is huge in CS.

The power of good vibes cannot be understated.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Most pubbies in MM also have a "no YOU go first" so that they can mop up the low-HP enemies that you don't finish off. So they will run to a breach-point and then duck to cover and wait for the team to run past. I find rousing speeches during pre-round to the effect of "WE ARE STARVING AND THE BODIES OF THE ENEMIES AT B ARE GOING TO BE OUR BUFFET DON'T YOU loving STOP UNTIL THE TABLE IS FULL" somehow has a much better effect for team morale than "stop baiting and rush B, nerds"

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
kcer mirage clutch

jerkshark
Apr 29, 2005
~

Let's see you do it on lan.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Lag shield ban euros

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Daeno's a cool dude

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

i should get mvp for getting killed by a shotgun at the beginning of the round

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I'm looking to try and put a team together. I have a lot of evening freetime coming up (EST) and my interest in competitive CS is working its way back into my brain. Goonman is fun and all but I really want to try and find a group to get some continuity. I used to be pretty good back in the day and am slowly getting back to that point. If anyone has any interest please link your steam profile.

edit: Not that it really matters but I've managed to work my way up to Master Guardian Elite doing random matchmaking for an extremely rough idea of my skill level.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 22, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9pYBir7Co

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Please nerf P90 or raise the price.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Considering that it already costs more than a Famas or Galil and that it doesn't get the SMG kill bonus I think the P90 is balanced just fine. If you are getting killed by idiots that just P90 rush, play passive/farther back than usual. You will outrange them with a rifle, just don't let the P90 guy get right up in your face.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Just out of curiosity, can hacking software let people 1click heads with the AK while at full sprint, or the infamous jumping AWP guys?

This isn't in reference to anything in particular, other than watching Anders get demolished repeatedly in matchmaking.

But anyways, I get that hacking software can compensate for recoil- it's static. But I thought that the inaccuracy from running and shooting a rifle was randomized- that some hacking program couldn't know where to shoot to compensate?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Depending on the hack it could always just send a packet to the server that says you are not moving at the exact moment you shoot, so the movement penalty wouldn't matter.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

40 OZ posted:

Just out of curiosity, can hacking software let people 1click heads with the AK while at full sprint, or the infamous jumping AWP guys?

This isn't in reference to anything in particular, other than watching Anders get demolished repeatedly in matchmaking.

But anyways, I get that hacking software can compensate for recoil- it's static. But I thought that the inaccuracy from running and shooting a rifle was randomized- that some hacking program couldn't know where to shoot to compensate?

The seed it uses to calculate randomness due to inaccuracy is synchronized between the client and server (maybe obvious but anyways I just happened on the code yesterday). It's simply a matter of grabbing that value from memory and sending a packet to the server that says the client is aiming with the exact opposite offset. It's extremely simple to do.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Ban slime for developing organner 2.0.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I wonder why you couldn't make a hack that just intercepts packets between the client and server and fixes the direction you're aiming. Completely undetectable to VAC, and if you were running CS:GO inside a VM and intercepting packets on the host it would literally be undetectable by anything

edit: if you sell a cheat that does this you owe me some of that dirty money

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There are actually hacks that do that, and Valve actually owns a patent on a tech for countering that kind of method

http://www.google.com/patents/US20060247038

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

a slime posted:

I wonder why you couldn't make a hack that just intercepts packets between the client and server and fixes the direction you're aiming. Completely undetectable to VAC, and if you were running CS:GO inside a VM and intercepting packets on the host it would literally be undetectable by anything

edit: if you sell a cheat that does this you owe me some of that dirty money

Or run this on hardware in between your PC and the internet. A physical little cheatbox that will fix your aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What is the appropriate way to take B site from Apartments as T on Mirage? I always have to push push push my team to check van fast and push out window at the same time, not sit around in apartment letting them rotate. Is there a more vetted method?

• Locked thread