Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Improv4Humans is my favorite podcasts because comedians shoot the poo poo, then do improv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Some of the other Earwolf podcasts are kind of silly. Mike Detective comes to mind, if you enjoy horrible puns (and you like CBB so I bet you do). Improv 4 Humans has some silly improv bits as well.

Doug Love Movies used to be a kind of lighthearted silly punfest/discussion about movies. It's kind of devolved into a pseudo-serious gameshow with podcast regulars and people in the movie industry plugging their projects, but the show still has some goofiness somewhere in it. Anyway it might be worth trying an episode.

Superego! is spot on though, you really should try that one first. Also, PFT is going on tour with them this summer so there will probably be new pay-for episodes soon.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

bartok posted:

Anyway I started listening to Comedy Bang! Bang! last year and I was wondering if there were any podcast that are just as silly? I am kinda sick of the whole several comedians sit around and shoot the poo poo style of podcast and want something wackier so to say.

improv4humans has a similar vibe.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

bartok posted:

Anyway I started listening to Comedy Bang! Bang! last year and I was wondering if there were any podcast that are just as silly? I am kinda sick of the whole several comedians sit around and shoot the poo poo style of podcast and want something wackier so to say.

Hollywood Handbook

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Help Im Alive posted:

Hollywood Handbook

And the back episodes, which were called Reality Show Show for some reason.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You guys ever seen the Modern Comedian with Todd Glass throwing a dinner party? If you like cringe humor, you'll love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtBujEncAg

I enjoyed most of that series. Rory had an especially good episode also that dealt with his Batman fandom and bits when the Dark Night Rises was released (as well as the shooting in Aurora).

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Goddamn Todd has a beautiful house.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I went from listening to every Todd Glass show, to most of them, to half of them, and now I check the download when other podcasts are done and will listen if it's a guest I know will be good. Perhaps I am looking back with rose colored glasses, but I don't remember the preachy parts to be as long in the past. I mean, I pretty much agree with all his stances, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to people repeating the point for 45 minutes.

In olden times, they used to have hilarious guys like Rory and Daniel just sitting in, not the guest but part of the crew. Daniel, Rory, Blake, Katie, and Eric all contributed to a really funny vibe and that is no longer there. I'm interested to know why they left, and people have theories of Todd driving them off, but I think they just had their careers take off. Todd has some peculiarities (not to mention the Marc Maron thing, that trickster), but they still come back as guests and those are issues that Todd has always had.

I really hope it finds it's spark again. He should just convince Jen and Jake to stop doing other things and be part of the crew.

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
I think like everything else, the show's just fallen by the wayside in Todd's hunt for pussy.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

clocksmash posted:

I think like everything else, the show's just fallen by the wayside in Todd's hunt for pussy.

8lbs worth of pussy.

I've recently started the Todd Glass show and I love it but I've pretty much listened to the Rory Scovel, James Adomain, and PFT ones. I'm a little sad to hear that it peters out later on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Is suggest hand picking Doug episodes. Just keep an eye on the posting and if a new episode has guests you think you'd like then download it. Me personally. I really dislike any episodes that aren't at UCB. Audio quality can vary if it's other places and a lot of the time they have guests that aren't as good when he's out and about. I used to regular listen every week but stopped a couple years ago.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Is suggest hand picking Doug episodes. Just keep an eye on the posting and if a new episode has guests you think you'd like then download it. Me personally. I really dislike any episodes that aren't at UCB. Audio quality can vary if it's other places and a lot of the time they have guests that aren't as good when he's out and about. I used to regular listen every week but stopped a couple years ago.

Most of the shows I've seen at Gramercy Theater in NYC usually has a pretty good line up. But yeah, if he's doing a show in an out of the way place the talent pool he has to pick from is slim. That and he adds in Graham Elwood to fill out the seats on stage.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Most of the shows I've seen at Gramercy Theater in NYC usually has a pretty good line up. But yeah, if he's doing a show in an out of the way place the talent pool he has to pick from is slim. That and he adds in Graham Elwood to fill out the seats on stage.

Yeah, the Gramercy shows are always good, but he tries really hard to bring the best possible guests.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Politicalrancor posted:

Yeah, the Gramercy shows are always good, but he tries really hard to bring the best possible guests.

I think it's partially because those are paid shows as opposed to free UCB shows.
I'm surprised he doesn't do shows at the NY UCBs. Maybe he needs the dough to make the trip worth it which is fair.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Eltoasto posted:

In olden times, they used to have hilarious guys like Rory and Daniel just sitting in, not the guest but part of the crew. Daniel, Rory, Blake, Katie, and Eric all contributed to a really funny vibe and that is no longer there. I'm interested to know why they left, and people have theories of Todd driving them off, but I think they just had their careers take off.
Three of those are working comedians and I'm pretty sure Katie is involved in producing about 20 other Nerdist podcasts, in addition to her own comedy shows. But yeah, I too miss the old gang.

Looking through my feed, some shows I'd recommend that aren't "comedians sitting around talking about nothing much" are Judge John Hodgman, Dead Authors and I4H.

wafflesnsegways posted:

If there was somewhere else I could listen to Henry Phillips, I would go there. But for now, the Todd Glass show is the best source of Henry Phillips there is.

Yeah, Henry's definitely on top of my list of folks who should be on more stuff.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Illinois Smith posted:

Three of those are working comedians and I'm pretty sure Katie is involved in producing about 20 other Nerdist podcasts, in addition to her own comedy shows. But yeah, I too miss the old gang.

Todd needs some one to wrangle him and keep things moving. Especially after "fresh air," Todd can get into the repetition is funny mode which can get pretty tedious to listen to.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Rory is on the TeeVee now, no time for podcasts!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

International Waters just dropped a new episode, first in three-or-so months. Dave Holmes is now the full-time host, the episodes are down to about 40 minutes, and they'll be coming twice a month.

http://maximumfun.org/international-waters/international-waters-episode-18-dave-holmes-era

For the US, it's Rhea Butcher and Ricky Carmona from WBP, and for the UK it's Katy Brand and James Bachman.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

bartok posted:

My Brother My Brother and Me is a pretty silly podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjuBTXuYHhM

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

CFN's doing a Kickstarter for a documentary about podcasting, it went live not long ago: Ear Buds: The Podcasting Documentary

I'm not sure how much wide appeal something like this will have, as it's probably a hard sell to someone who doesn't listen to podcasts (specifically the particular circle of comedy podcasts most of us here listen to and will be featured in the documentary), but I've been subscribing to most of them for years now and it sounds pretty interesting to me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm a massive podcast fan and have been for quite some time. But the description does nothing for me. I don't need a doc telling me what I already know and I'm not sure why this should cost 135k? They are based in LA. Everyone they are pretty much going to talk to is in LA and they have at the very least a general working relationship. I don't know. Don't mean to be sour grapes here.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

soggybagel posted:

I'm a massive podcast fan and have been for quite some time. But the description does nothing for me. I don't need a doc telling me what I already know and I'm not sure why this should cost 135k? They are based in LA. Everyone they are pretty much going to talk to is in LA and they have at the very least a general working relationship. I don't know. Don't mean to be sour grapes here.

Because they want 135k.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

soggybagel posted:

I had the exact same reaction. I listen to a ton of podcasts but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this doc. I hope they do well I guess because I like these people, but I dunno. It just doesn't seem very interesting to me.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
And, though there are exceptions, documentaries born out of love for their subject tend to be pretty dismal.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That promo mostly made me sad that The Best Show isn't around anymore because all I could hear in my head was Tom going "oh boy".

Does Werner Herzog know about PFT's impression? I'd be about 1000% more interested in his take on the LA podcast scene.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

soggybagel posted:

Not at all, I was really curious to see what everyone else here thought of it. I'm interested in seeing the finished product, but the Kickstarter itself doesn't really compel me to donate either.

135k does seem like a lot, I don't know much about making things like this but I was wondering about that too. I think I remember hearing them mention on the podcast in the past about how they plan to do stuff with the money, if they get enough, like try to go to Australia and get interviews with some of the comics there, like CJ Johnson who is a pretty big name in Australia and has a podcast himself. There's no mention of that in the Kickstarter pitch though, the whole pitch could use some work.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

soggybagel posted:

Making a documentary costs a lot of money. They have access to the podcast makers but not to free editors, camera people, lights, cameras, computers, software, music libraries, media storage, travel costs, publicity people, etc... Yes its LA and yes there are a lot of idle production people but getting people to work for free on your passion project is not so simple. Having made an indie feature film (it's bad) in the mid-90's for $40k, its not easy. It's cool they want to make that film. There was definitely an explosion of comedians making podcast for a while there.

I think I forgot to mention my last episode... I went back to FetLife to read some awfulness from the Anal Destruction groups. :nms:Lou Reads ep118: Tales of Anal Destruction from FetLife.com :nms: If you're a fan of hearing me have some trouble getting through this material you'll have a ball.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 21, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

King Lou posted:

Making a documentary costs a lot of money. They have access to the podcast makers but not to free editors, camera people, lights, cameras, computers, software, music libraries, media storage, travel costs, publicity people, etc... Yes its LA and yes there are a lot of idle production people but getting people to work for free on your passion project is not so simple. Having made an indie feature film (it's bad) in the mid-90's for $40k, its not easy. It's cool they want to make that film. There was definitely an explosion of comedians making podcast for a while there.

For a surprisingly-informative look at how much it costs to make a film, you could read Joe Queenan's "The Unkindest Cut": http://www.amazon.com/The-Unkindest-Cut-Joe-Queenan/dp/0786860901 -- The book is some years old, but it's still a good read. And Queenan is great at cruel humor, even at his own expense.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's a high cost I think because Graham and the CFN are hiring an entire crew to do the documentary. If this was just passionate podcast fans who work in the film/tv industry, the cost would be a hell of a lot less because they know how to edit and shoot and own or have access to some semi-decent equipment. Still, 135k is a lot for what will essentially be 150 sit down interviews in Los Angeles cut down to 120 minutes.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

prefect posted:

For a surprisingly-informative look at how much it costs to make a film, you could read Joe Queenan's "The Unkindest Cut": http://www.amazon.com/The-Unkindest-Cut-Joe-Queenan/dp/0786860901 -- The book is some years old, but it's still a good read. And Queenan is great at cruel humor, even at his own expense.

I forgot about that book. It was pretty entertaining. Definitely some mean laughs in there. I don't anyone who has seen the final movie product, though.

As far as the cost, why shouldn't they try to raise a very small budget to try to boost the quality of the project? This is the era of crowdsourcing all kinds of dumb poo poo. $135k is a very small budget. I'm currently working for a TV production that costs millions of dollars. We could do it for a lot less but it wouldn't look as awesome.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

King Lou posted:

I think I forgot to mention my last episode... I went back to FetLife to read some awfulness from the Anal Destruction groups. :nms:Lou Reads ep118: Tales of Anal Destruction from FetLife.com :nms: If you're a fan of hearing me have some trouble getting through this material you'll have a ball.

I'm well aware of the cost of making a film. Let's be clear here they are making a documentary that will probably just be a lot of talking head shots. I've had friends who have made docs on budgets from 5000 dollars to 250k and the thing is they can do a simple workflow here because I don't think the film will be that complicated. None the less I agree that costs can start spiraling if you don't reign in a hard budget.

In any event yeah, I don't really care about this and I don't see myself even bothering seeing it unless I hear its really really good.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I mean..I love podcasts, but is it really old enough or substantial enough to make a documentary about? Isn't it still kind of a niche thing?

I'm in "flyover country" and I appreciate podcasts for giving me access to comedy I couldn't get around here. But the reason I can't get comedy like that around here is because no one around here really gives a poo poo about it. Most people still don't even know what a "podcast" is, except maybe as a way for them to download a sports/NPR segment they missed.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 21, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Good luck to them and whatnot but $65 for me (a Canadian) to get a physical DVD isn't exactly worth it. $25 for a digital download is also pretty high. I'd pay $10 or maybe $15 for a digital download of the movie but yeah Marc Maron talking about podcasting isn't exactly something there's a dearth of in the world.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

People who aren't in to podcasting won't care, and people who are can already hear the hosts talk about podcasting for an hour every week. Watching podcasters talk about how it has changed the world for an hour and a half sounds like a total snooze, and hearing the same thing from podcast listeners sounds even worse.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
PFT announces that he'll put out a new episode this year:

http://splitsider.com/2014/01/paul-f-tompkins-says-the-pod-f-tompkast-will-return-this-year/

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

THE BEST NEWS

Night-time on the internet just isn't the same without it.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Apparently Ice-T has a podcast and caught on to PFT doing his voice. So instead of phoning up PFT himself, he gets someone else who does an Ice-T impersonation to phone Paul and confront him over the whole thing. I'd like to see what happens when Paul finds out he was had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVQUQo0Lds&t=260s

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That's awesome, although according to the clip Ice-T didn't have the fake Ice-T call up OUR fake Ice-T. The fake Ice-T called our fake Ice-T on his own and then sent it to the real Ice-T.

Coco got a big rear end.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I really really loved that PFT had listened to Ice T's podcast and was able to quote it at the impersonator :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

King Lou posted:

Hey Lou, do you want to read insufferable geeks whining about their treatment on a tabletop gaming board?

http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Trouble-Tickets

Best quote from today?

quote:

Can You Please Put a Stop to the Fedora Nonsense?

This feels like its bordering in the group attack territory. It is not okay to insult someone just for wearing a particular article of clothing, nor is it okay to use it to judge their character. Adding special conditions in which you decide said article of clothing is okay, does not change this at all.

Being somewhat associated with MRA's doesn't change this. My Little Pony is also associated with MRA's in a lot of places on the internet, but it's not okay to call My Little Pony watchers "douchebags". (for good reason too)

BUt this kind of stuff gets brough up endlessly on tangency whenever MRA's or fedora's are mentioned in general. And I don't think that's okay, nor is it within the spirit of the rules here. (at least how I have been lead to believe the intentions of the rules are supposed to be)

Bonus Mod reply:

quote:

Dear Diary:

Today someone told me I should moderate group attacks on people who wear a specific kind of hat.

• Locked thread