Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh dear, that doesn't sound nice at all. I think he was too weirded out to be upset to be honest. His tail kept wagging anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

McDragon posted:

Well, today I learnt that dogs can get the hiccups. And that a hiccuping dog is adorable. :kimchi:
When my dog gets the hiccups she tends to make herself puke.

You can holler her name at her and it'll startle her enough that she stops, though.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Why the gently caress do you people even keep these animals? It's not like you need someone to bring you small game anymore, you're all civilized and using computers and poo poo.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Pile of Kittens posted:

Why the gently caress do you people even keep these animals? It's not like you need someone to bring you small game anymore, you're all civilized and using computers and poo poo.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

ButWhatIf posted:

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Hell, my bird is at least that entertaining and her poops are an order of magnitude smaller than your pet's.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pile of Kittens posted:

Speak for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yqE4ym51X4

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I like it when dogs fart and the smell offends them and then they look at you like YOU did it and you are a piece of poo poo. #justdogthings

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Your dog is lame. Whenever Ooka is in the room and there's a fart--be it his, or mine, or anyone's--he jumps up and spins in circles sniffing his butt, fully taking the blame whether he was involved or not. Good dog.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Well, quick update for those who are interested...Faye's been pretty much stable. Some days she eats, others she doesn't eat much, today she refused a meal of chicken, rice, and carrots so I scrambled up 3 eggs and she ate that. She's on a concentrated milk thistle pill in the morning, amoxicillin 3x a day, and a SAMe pill at night, she won't eat any kibble so I try to feed her whatever low fat not red meat human food she'll take. She had her ultrasound today, the best I could pull out of the vet is "moderate liver damage." They didn't say much beyond that. It's not lepto or hepatitis, so it's either a random toxic poisoning event, or the ultrasound person said worst case scenario, lymphoma. They took blood for bloodwork again, I'll get the results tomorrow. Last test her numbers were holding steady, not going up or down. This has been a ridiculously frustrating event for me. I've spent 2 grand so far and I haven't gotten any solid answers it's all just maybes and we'll see and not sure yet. Literally all I do is shove pills down my dog's throat, make sure she doesn't vomit or start bleeding and not know if what I'm doing is helping at all. I hate it and want to scream.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

moechae posted:

Well, quick update for those who are interested...

I'm so sorry, moe :(. I never thought I'd be hoping for poisoning. I really hope you get some solid answers soon, and that Faye gets better. It's so hard when you feel helpless. One of my childhood cats had lymphoma, and on top of the general not being able to do anything, I was living an hour away with no transport and so busy I didn't get to see her again before she died. Lots of hugs.

On a lighter note/progress update, my cat is still terrified of the carpet. I have a George Foreman grill, one of these things:

and it's currently sitting on the floor in the kitchen. When Cog came flying in for his morning face-stuffing, he immediately leapt on top of it like it was an island of safety in a sea of piranhas. He wouldn't get off it until the food was in his bowl and the bowl was back on the floor, because the only thing that will override his fear is food. Even D8's catnip won't bring him down, and he loves that catnip.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw a very rare breed today! I had never even heard of it before - Shiloh Shepherd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

actionjackson posted:

I saw a very rare breed today! I had never even heard of it before - Shiloh Shepherd.

Wow they are so cool, they look like Blue Bay Shepherds, but brown!

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

left_unattended posted:

I'm so sorry, moe :(.

Thanks! Her #s are getting better so we're hopeful! All she eats are scrambled eggs and Merrick treat sausages but what can ya do. I bought a bunch of raw food diet stuff that my beagle Ike is gorging himself on since Faye won't eat it. So I guess at least one dog is happy. We're on a monthly blood test schedule and vet guesstimated a year for full recovery if it goes that way (or a slow death is a potential too) so we'll see. Just sucks since Faye is not even 3 years old yet. Jesus Christ never let your dog/cat get liver failure. Because you have control over that.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila's new Favcorite Thing is to climb on me when I'm laying down, so she can shove her rear end in my face and make biscuits on my stomach. Have not decided if this is better or worse than having her lick my nose.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Latest incarnation of Cohen's handstand trick. Walkin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2IeIHnpWGY

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

a life less posted:

Latest incarnation of Cohen's handstand trick. Walkin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2IeIHnpWGY

Dog and I should switch places - we both have the same name. She can do my Phd research and I can learn simple gymnastics.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Has anyone noticed a sudden increase in the amount of "vegan" cats and dogs? It's been blowing up my tumblr and facebook feeds recently. It's kind of horrifying to see so many cats and dogs with sunken eyes and weird flabby skin.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pew! Pew! posted:

Has anyone noticed a sudden increase in the amount of "vegan" cats and dogs? It's been blowing up my tumblr and facebook feeds recently. It's kind of horrifying to see so many cats and dogs with sunken eyes and weird flabby skin.

It's a stupid fad that will kill dogs. I hate it.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's a stupid fad that will kill dogs. I hate it.

It'll kill cats with lack of taurine. Dogs are heartier (and not obligate carnivores).

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
It'll kill dogs too. Plant protein is not nearly as bioavailable to dogs since their processing time isn't anywhere near as long as ours. Malnutrition is slow but will take its toll.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
'Honestly, memes like this really loving piss me off. IF YOU CLAIM STH THAT CAN’T BE PROVEN BY SIMPLE HUMAN LOGIC, YOU HAVE TO REFERENCE A loving STUDY. Just because you say something doesn’t mean it’s true. And the fact that we’re on the internet makes it even more likely that it’s not true because everyone on here just spills out their opinions (like me, btw).

I have no funded idea about the nutritional needs of cats and therefore I won’t tell you that cats can thrive on a vegan diet or that they can’t or anything like that, but: it makes me angy that lots of people keep their cats trapped in tiny apartments, and I think the cats might be happier if they could run around outside. and that would also solve the meat eating problem. and I’m saying that because I intend to have cats later (like, let them live at my place. you cannot OWN a cat. it’s not a book or computer or sandwich.), and I intend to feed them vegan cat food, and they can be outside as much as they like and eat mice and birds and spiders and whatever else they come across. i’m pretty sure it’s gonna work because cats like to catch things that move, and mice, birds, spiders, and lots of other things are frequently spotted moving these days. these are just ideas, of course but the cat at my parents’ place caught lots of mice even though she was fed (non vegan food) by us as well.

SO. REFERNCE. or mark it as your own opinion.'

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That's, uh, quite something there.

Yup.

Quite something.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Malalol posted:

'you cannot OWN a cat.'

You can if you're not a penniless hippie!

Also lol @ "u hav 2 refrence a STUDY that sez cats need 2 eat meat otherwise its jus ur OPINION, man." People like this should be banned from keeping animals. Their personal choices are irrelevant to an animal's needs, and in this case actively harmful. Since this person sounds 15, hopefully they get over this dumb phase by the time they're old enough to have pets of their own.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Serella posted:

You can if you're not a penniless hippie!

Also lol @ "u hav 2 refrence a STUDY that sez cats need 2 eat meat otherwise its jus ur OPINION, man." People like this should be banned from keeping animals. Their personal choices are irrelevant to an animal's needs, and in this case actively harmful. Since this person sounds 15, hopefully they get over this dumb phase by the time they're old enough to have pets of their own.

Look just because your a CARNIST BLOODMOUTH you don't get it. Animals aren't property! That's slavery. The cat is his companion.

I could go on and on and on.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

wtftastic posted:

Look just because your a CARNIST BLOODMOUTH you don't get it. Animals aren't property! That's slavery. The cat is his companion.

I could go on and on and on.

MEAT IS MURDER

Except when the cat is outside killing native wildlife that have no defenses against it, that's ok

:psyduck:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Serella posted:

MEAT IS MURDER

Except when the cat is outside killing native wildlife that have no defenses against it, that's ok

For ultimate irony he should have a declawed cat because he doesn't want the cat to hurt other cats or ruin their furniture.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Emotional Vegan posted:

and they can be outside as much as they like and eat mice and birds and spiders and whatever else they come across. i’m pretty sure it’s gonna work because cats like to catch things that move, and mice, birds, spiders, and lots of other things are frequently spotted moving these days.

:psyduck: They like to catch them sure, but not necessarily eat them... As an owner of a cat who is allowed outdoors when we are at home, he eats exactly NOTHING he catches. He only hunts for fun - although if he was dying of malnutrition from retarded-owner disease, maybe he would eat a thing.

Also some cats have negative hunting abilities. I'm pretty sure that if I told Hugo "welp, you're an adult now, time to hunt for your own food" he would die in about three hours.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Mu aunt is a vegan and feeds her four greyhounds a dumb vegan diet, those dogs have the worst loving gas on the planet. She got annoyed at me for pointing out that her 15 year-old daughter gets a choice on whether or not to be vegan but her dogs don't. :)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Serella posted:

MEAT IS MURDER

There is actually a tumblr post saying that you should feed cats vegan and then let them hunt outside because it'll "balance out" nutritionally.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Pew! Pew! posted:

There is actually a tumblr post saying that you should feed cats vegan and then let them hunt outside because it'll "balance out" nutritionally.

Color me shocked that there are idiots on tumblr

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I think this is relevant.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Also relevant

:ohdear:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cats
May 11, 2009
One of my cats has these "tickle spots," one on each side, in the area between ribs and hips. When I scratch him there it visibly makes his skin crawl/shiver, and he gives me this "wtf are you doing" look and sometimes a little squawk. As far as I can tell it's not hurting him. Does anyone else's cat have something like that, and is there a name for this sort of thing?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I love how that article has Refurb on it. :3:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
There is a story in the paper today about a batshit insane woman who spied on a family in the town she was holidaying in and decided that on the basis that a) the purebred husky was blowing its coat therefore 'was not groomed' b) the purebred husky was walked on a lead and not allowed to run free as nature intended and c) the dog was chained to a kennel when tiny children who were scared of dogs were visiting; all of this meant that the dog was being horrifically abused and instead of calling the SPCA for a welfare check, her only option was to steal the dog in the middle of the night and drive it 7 hours to her house and try to register the dog as hers.

The frantic owners managed to track her down after putting flyers everywhere, Facebook page etc and drove 7 hours to reclaim their dog. Police said that the lady had good intentions therefore they wouldn't prosecute. The boyfriend of the dog snatcher joined the Facebook page to scream unintelligibly about how a well cared for dog wouldn't moult so much.

The whole situation is a clusterfuck of I don't even know what and makes me want to go home and hug my pets.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Umm...good intentions?! Her intentions were vigilante justice. I'd loving press charges. I don't know what charges, but I'm sure there's something that would apply.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
What. How is that not cut and dry property theft? Also breaking and entering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
:byodame: Because she thought the dog was suffering~~~!!!

There are now lots of people going "oh yep, my neighbours have a TV I don't see them watching often, looks pretty neglected to me! Better go rescue it, good intentions and all!"

And yeah it makes no loving sense, and I think the owners are investigating legal options and filing a complaint with the police investigation. Good intentions have exactly nothing to do with it, and its unusual for the police to be so subjective about something. The woman got a warning, but no charge. She was stupid enough to like the Facebook page and publicly identify herself though so I think she's on the receiving end of a little vigilante outrage herself.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 22, 2014

• Locked thread