Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

By the way, if you haven't heard of it, you should check out Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'm only bringing it up because I hadn't heard of it until last week, but it's the new show by Michael Schur and Dan Goor and it's really very good. First season is still going, but I've been catching up and it's much better than P&R season 1 so far.

It's basically the same style of show but in a police precinct.

And it's on fox so that means it should be around for a while because people actually watch fox shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tonic316 posted:

And it's on fox so that means it should be around for a while because people actually watch fox shows.

That's actually not true. If it weren't for the critical acclaim and execs at the network liking it, Brooklyn Nine-Nine would probably be a lock for cancellation.

It's my favorite new comedy this year, but it's teetering really close to not surviving.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That's actually not true. If it weren't for the critical acclaim and execs at the network liking it, Brooklyn Nine-Nine would probably be a lock for cancellation.

It's my favorite new comedy this year, but it's teetering really close to not surviving.
So was Parks and Rec, and it's now teetering closer to the survival side than most fans are comfortable with.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Hakkesshu posted:

By the way, if you haven't heard of it, you should check out Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'm only bringing it up because I hadn't heard of it until last week, but it's the new show by Michael Schur and Dan Goor and it's really very good. First season is still going, but I've been catching up and it's much better than P&R season 1 so far.

It's basically the same style of show but in a police precinct.

I saw two episodes of this on a plane and concur, it's worth a watch. Andy Samberg is the lead, so there's another Parks tie-in.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I saw two episodes of this on a plane and concur, it's worth a watch. Andy Samberg is the lead, so there's another Parks tie-in.

Fred Armisen and Tanya from Sue's Salads have made appearances, too.

FactsAreUseless posted:

So was Parks and Rec, and it's now teetering closer to the survival side than most fans are comfortable with.

Oh, come on. Can we not act like this is automatically a negative thing? If you've lost interest in the show and felt it's reached its natural end, that's fine, but I see no reason to believe the writers can't make another season work. This isn't like a Simpsons situation where a popular show's dead body is being dragged endlessly behind a runaway horse; everyone who's working on P&R is probably psyched about getting another season despite all expectations.

This thread has become a real loving downer for a show that is normally so positive :(

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 21, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope we get more Craig with Ann and Chris leaving. He's funny as hell

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh, come on. Can we not act like this is automatically a negative thing? If you've lost interest in the show and felt it's reached its natural end, that's fine, but I see no reason to believe the writers can't make another season work. This isn't like a Simpsons situation where a popular show's dead body is being dragged endlessly behind a runaway horse; everyone who's working on P&R is probably psyched about getting another season despite all expectations.

This thread has become a real loving downer for a show that is normally so positive :(

It's PTSD from what happened to The Office.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

smg77 posted:

Well, I never watched that, and I probably have a different perspective than most of you since I first started P&R last year. Just, even at its most rote, I still think it's an amazing show with a wonderful cast. I'd watch pretty much anything if they were in it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The last few seasons of The Office were really bad. I still enjoy P&R every time I put it on; it's still nowhere near the nadir that was the second half of The Office's run.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It just feels like they are ending things, everyone has become successful and is moving beyond the department. Chris/Ann leaving, Ron in a successful relationship, Tom found a job hes good at in government, April found something cares about and Leslie has realized that she is meant for greater things then Pawnee I mean I like the show but it is the perfect time to end things.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

smg77 posted:

We learned our lesson after Rashida Jones left us last time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The bigger tie-in is that it has Chelsea Peretti who is a former writer for Parks.

P&R has to really gently caress up the back half of this season for me to start to wonder about a downward slide.

People are nostalgic for season 2 and 3, but they had episodes that lulled too.

I actually am not the biggest fan of the episode where Larry drops his breakfast burrito and injures himself, I found Andy Samberg's shouty character to be grating. Oh and Galentine's Day with that loving lawyer character.

Not every episode can be amazing, and let's all remember this is nowhere near post-season 5 Office antics.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Larry joke is the perfect example of how far Parks and Rec has fallen.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

The Larry joke is the perfect example of how far Parks and Rec has fallen.

How so? I find it to be in line with their treatment of him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Boywhiz88 posted:

How so? I find it to be in line with their treatment of him.

It's the same joke as before (they got his name wrong), makes the characters seem cartoonish (they actively abuse him and he takes it) and it's a little more cynical and than the show seems adept at handling seemingly in an attempt to mix things up while simultaneously keeping things the same.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not that cynical. As stated by others before, Larry has the best life out of anyone in the Parks department. He has a great family and beautiful family who loves him, and a wealth of incredible talents. It's a unique way to look at the Office punching bag, and kinda brilliant too.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

PriorMarcus posted:

It's the same joke as before (they got his name wrong), makes the characters seem cartoonish (they actively abuse him and he takes it) and it's a little more cynical and than the show seems adept at handling seemingly in an attempt to mix things up while simultaneously keeping things the same.

I know what you mean.

Which reminds me, when did Chris start joining in on being mean to Gerry? I've never understood why they started doing that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
edit: ^^^ Always?

Nah, the Larry thing is still funny

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Larry thing is hysterical because he's totally just rolling with it, and why wouldn't he, because Jerry wasn't his name either.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm with PriorMarcus, I don't care what justification they invented to excuse it, the Jerry joke (since it's always the exact same thing) was never funny, became even less so when they ran it into the ground (about three seasons ago), and is completely at odds with the tone of the rest of the show and the characterization of everyone. It's maybe the only thing I disliked about P&R even in seasons 2/3.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Jerry/Larry whatever jokes stopped being funny for me a while ago.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I agree that the Gerry stuff has thoroughly worn out its welcome. It seemed to get steadily meaner, too. Laughing at him for falling into a lake going for a burrito is one thing. Ben being completely confused as to how Gerry could have a beautiful, loving wife to the point where he has to muse about it and come up with jokey conspiracy theories every time he thinks about it really rubs me the wrong way. I echo the sentiment that the whole thing goes against the tone of the show, especially after they've shown how loyal and dedicated he is time after time.

I also don't find Craig funny at all, so I may just have the wrong perspective on this show.

Having said that, Parks is still my favorite show on TV, and while I'd be happy to see them end it this season, I think they could make it work if they got renewed. No matter what, it will be bittersweet to say goodbye to the show that introduced me to Aubrey Plaza.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

CelticPredator posted:

It's not that cynical. As stated by others before, Larry has the best life out of anyone in the Parks department. He has a great family and beautiful family who loves him, and a wealth of incredible talents. It's a unique way to look at the Office punching bag, and kinda brilliant too.

And he has the largest penis I've ever seen. I don't even know if he has mumps. I forgot to look.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chairman Capone posted:

.. and is completely at odds with the tone of the rest of the show and the characterization of everyone.

Congratulations, that's the entire point of the joke. It's funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Congratulations, that's the entire point of the joke. It's funny.

Hmm this doesn't add up. It's good because it's bad? It's funny because it's the only joke that's not funny?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ZDar Fan posted:

I also don't find Craig funny at all, so I may just have the wrong perspective on this show.

I love Crazy Craig, and I hope Billy becomes a more frequent guest.

In regards to Jerry/Garry/Larry: Ron said it best, he is both the schlemiel and schlemazel. He is literally a walking joke at work, but to balance it you see that he has this insanely awesome life outside of work. It's why Ben is so taken aback, he doesn't know about Jerry's penis and all he's been exposed to is this dopey old guy. And the Parks people aren't soulless, look at the episode with April, Tom, and Andy trying to get into the party. They realize what dicks they've been to a nice guy, so they end up giving him a generous cash gift. Sure, he ends up locked out for a moment or two but still... that's just Jerry's life

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

ZDar Fan posted:

I'll agree with you here. I love the show but Craig is entirely devoid of humor.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Bashez posted:

I'll agree with you here. I love the show but Craig is entirely devoid of humor.

Nonsense, Billy is fantastic.

I won't argue that he isn't a poehlerizing figure, though. (Sorry.) I would call it a ballsy casting move, except that he's barely appeared, so how annoyed can anyone be?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it might be a case of 'being a Billy Eichner fan makes you a fan of Craig' a lot easier than 'never heard of Billy Ecihner, but a fan of Craig'. Watch some Billy on the Streets and minds might get changed... that show is just too much fun.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it might be a case of 'being a Billy Eichner fan makes you a fan of Craig' a lot easier than 'never heard of Billy Ecihner, but a fan of Craig'. Watch some Billy on the Streets and minds might get changed... that show is just too much fun.

I actually had no idea who he was so I started looking into it and I was like "Oh my, Billy Eichner is awesome"

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think things that aren't funny are made funny by yelling. Billy on the street is okay in small doses. Craig doesn't say funny things.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bashez posted:

I don't think things that aren't funny are made funny by yelling. Billy on the street is okay in small doses. Craig doesn't say funny things.

"That is so freaking cute that I need to go lay down for 45 minutes. NO. AN HOUR. A FULL HOUR"

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

"That is so freaking cute that I need to go lay down for 45 minutes. NO. AN HOUR. A FULL HOUR"

A perfect example of something I don't think is funny and is only expected to get by because of how it's being yelled.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Go back to the streets, Billy.

And Rashida Jones will be starring in a police station sitcom.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rashida-jones-already-has-her-next-sitcom-gig-line-107169

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 22, 2014

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

And Rashida Jones will be starring in a police station sitcom.

drat, I hoped that meant she was joining Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bashez posted:

A perfect example of something I don't think is funny and is only expected to get by because of how it's being yelled.

But delivery is an important part of comedy. Ron wouldn't be nearly as fun if he was giddy and spoke quickly. It's not that it's yelled, I just like how deadly serious he is and then he stops in the middle to adjust the length of his nap.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bashez posted:

Well, I think it's funny, even as parroted text.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ZDar Fan posted:

drat, I hoped that meant she was joining Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I am happy that she isn't.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
One of the reasons The Office started to go downhill, was because the drama from the key characters started to wane. Specifically with Pam and Jim, after they officially got together and were suddenly extremely happy. Sure, we had their marriage and birth of their first child to look forward to, but at some point they got a little too annoying. Happy people are annoying in a way. Jim's charm is often smarm, and Pam going from sheepish to downright nasty at times made them fairly unlikeable every so often. They even poked fun at it during their failed daycare interview. Granted, they also tried to shoehorn in the drama about the new job in Philly, but somehow it didn't quite work.

In other words, everybody's a little too happy at the moment on P&R. They're still generally likeable and everything, not quite as bad as Pam and Jim got, but we need more conflict. We either need to see Leslie struggling to strive for a higher office, or more Ron Swanson family woes (we really haven't seen any of that beyond him being forced to be on the grid,) or maybe some kind of relationship trouble between Andy and April. And hopefully a more steady romantic interest for Tom like we almost got with Ann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OmegaBR posted:

One of the reasons The Office started to go downhill, was because the drama from the key characters started to wane. Specifically with Pam and Jim, after they officially got together and were suddenly extremely happy. Sure, we had their marriage and birth of their first child to look forward to, but at some point they got a little too annoying. Happy people are annoying in a way. Jim's charm is often smarm, and Pam going from sheepish to downright nasty at times made them fairly unlikeable every so often. They even poked fun at it during their failed daycare interview. Granted, they also tried to shoehorn in the drama about the new job in Philly, but somehow it didn't quite work.

In other words, everybody's a little too happy at the moment on P&R. They're still generally likeable and everything, not quite as bad as Pam and Jim got, but we need more conflict. We either need to see Leslie struggling to strive for a higher office, or more Ron Swanson family woes (we really haven't seen any of that beyond him being forced to be on the grid,) or maybe some kind of relationship trouble between Andy and April. And hopefully a more steady romantic interest for Tom like we almost got with Ann.

We need more Jam.

• Locked thread