Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Militree posted:

I don't know how you keep getting matches where people keep using spread moves despite the obvious wide guard. I have a wide guard Aegislash and people always figure it out right away.

The vast majority of Aegislash don't run wideguard despite how good it is, so I guess people just don't expect it. The alternative is that they do expect it, but don't have any good moves to use against M-Pinsir and Aegislash. After all the most common counter to M-Pinsir is rock slide, and if you can't use that then he's suddenly a lot harder to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Star Man posted:

I wonder how much memory an account with 3,000 Pokémon takes up and if it would be feasible to just store them on your memory card instead.

Each pokemon is 232 bytes according to this page. So 0.7 MB would just about do it assuming there were no extra metadata to store I guess.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Revenge is sweet.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-79657333

Of course, Amoonguss managed to put one of my pokemon to sleep despite getting OHKOd. I hate that stupid mushroom.

Was that a Sniper Kingdra or something? Kingdra should not be being outsped in the rain.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

hangedman1984 posted:

Any news yet about when the pokebank will finally go up?

Stop holding my friends hostage Nintendo!

For real. I just want to pet my regal grass snake buddy and feed him cakes and poo poo so fuckin' bad you don't even know. Or really any of the grass starters that aren't the terrible one from this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

WrightOfWay posted:

Was that a Sniper Kingdra or something? Kingdra should not be being outsped in the rain.

Take note of what it says when I send Lickilicky out;

quote:

Internet Kraken sent out Pvt. Pudge (Lickilicky)!
The effects of weather disappeared.

There's a reason I drag that fat bastard around. Cloud Nine completely negates the effects of weather as long as he is on the field, making him my anti-weather tech.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So does anyone have a good move/EV spread for Cacturne? I love the guy and want to use him, but he's kind of terrible.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

So does anyone have a good move/EV spread for Cacturne? I love the guy and want to use him, but he's kind of terrible.

Adamant, 252 Atk/Spd, 4 HP, Sucker Punch, Seed Bomb, Swords Dance, something.

Maybe throw it on a sandstorm team and give it Bright Powder for frustration factor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fiend Computer posted:

Cacturne's actually a pretty decent Trick Room mixed attacker. His physical movepool is much better, but an Energy Ball coming off an uninvested 115 SpAtk is still gonna hurt. A decent set might look something like

Brave @ Life Orb
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Water Absorb

Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Seed Bomb
Brick Break (Drain Punch, once the Bank opens)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Adamant, 252 Atk/Spd, 4 HP, Sucker Punch, Seed Bomb, Swords Dance, something.

Maybe throw it on a sandstorm team and give it Bright Powder for frustration factor.

It's a bit of a waste to give it speed when it has only base 55 and no way to increase it, though with seven weaknesses I'm not sure any amount of HP investment will help it either. Baton Passing it some speed boosts might do the trick.

I think it shows more promise as a mixed attacker in Trick Room doubles (Sucker Punch and Energy Ball or Grass Knot, plus it gets both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot), perhaps being kept alive by an ally that spams Surf.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Would it be possible to get both Zen Headbutt and Belch on Lickilicky? Serebii lists it as being able to learn the latter, but lists no parents that can learn it naturally, so I'm not sure what it would come from. And I haven't bred for multiple moves often enough to know if it'd be possible to have both on a newborn.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ChibiSoma posted:

Would it be possible to get both Zen Headbutt and Belch on Lickilicky? Serebii lists it as being able to learn the latter, but lists no parents that can learn it naturally, so I'm not sure what it would come from. And I haven't bred for multiple moves often enough to know if it'd be possible to have both on a newborn.

The Belch Chain is Stunky/Ekans/Seviper/Smeargle -> Seel -> Slowpoke -> Lickitung.

Also in gen VI, all you have to do is make sure either parent has a move you want to pass down and it will pass down to the child.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 21, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I had not thought about putting Cacturne on a Trick Room team, but that does seem like his best possible option. Thanks!

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Comeback of the century: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/challengecup-79737107
I suck at pokemon, but I love challenge cup.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would you want Zen Headbutt on Lickilicky in the first place? Psychic is a pretty poor offensive type when you don't have STAB and Lickilicky isn't fast enough to punish most fighting types with it.

EDIT: I should feel bad about this, but given what he was running I don't.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-79748716

Can't beat a ghost :spooky:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Well finally have a few 5 IV Klefki . Time to narrow down those huge move pools and figure out what I want. Dual screener maybe?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well finally have a few 5 IV Klefki . Time to narrow down those huge move pools and figure out what I want. Dual screener maybe?

This or priority weather-inducer with support moves seem like the most logical roles for it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TwoSheds posted:

This or priority weather-inducer with support moves seem like the most logical roles for it.

Don't forget Safeguard/Swagger/Foul Play/Protect (or Thunder Wave) :colbert:

Also I've been wrecked by another goon using Dazzling Gleam on Klefki because I didn't expect it and it took 80% off my Scrafty.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
D gleam is cute but foul play is going to be better most of the time since it lets you use an attack stat that isn't poo poo. It fits in nicely with a swagger spam set as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have gotten a lot of mileage out of Crafty Shield on Klefki in doubles. It can be spammed!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you want Zen Headbutt on Lickilicky in the first place? Psychic is a pretty poor offensive type when you don't have STAB and Lickilicky isn't fast enough to punish most fighting types with it.

Working on countering one specific person with a really odd build. Same reason I'm throwing Belch on a physical attacker.

Man, I wish Bank would release already. I got guys waiting to be transferred forward!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

D gleam is cute but foul play is going to be better most of the time since it lets you use an attack stat that isn't poo poo. It fits in nicely with a swagger spam set as well.

I've been using Draining Kiss and Calm Mind on a Klefki with decent results, though I'm sure that it isn't optimal.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I tried a Sap Sipper Swampert gimmick team just for the fun of it. It isn't a very good gimmick. So far it's 1/5. This isn't my only win with it so far.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-79772783

Edit: I found a very successful gimmick while playing around but I feel bad using it.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-79776570

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 22, 2014

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What's a good set for doubles Skarmory? (That I can actually set up in XY) I was thinking Steel Wing, Protect, Rock Slide, Roost? Doesn't look like it gets any good flying moves.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Seems that Bank is up in japan :flaccid:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Diet Poison posted:

What's a good set for doubles Skarmory? (That I can actually set up in XY) I was thinking Steel Wing, Protect, Rock Slide, Roost? Doesn't look like it gets any good flying moves.
You might consider Whirlwind on there somewhere. Phasing isn't amazing in doubles, but it's one of the things that Skarmory does really well.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, this was a close one:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotsingles-79790637

Two turns stand out to me the most:

- On turn 8, I correctly predicted a switch and crippled his Gengar.
- On turn 11, I stupidly forgot that Mach Punch wouldn't beat M-Kanga's Sucker Punch. I could have just used Drain Punch instead for more power and to recover HP, since it clearly couldn't kill me that turn. I think I was expecting him to go all-in with Return or Earthquake.

I finally got my Mega Ring upgraded, so I'll be going on a stone hunt shortly! :cool:

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seems that Bank is up in japan :flaccid:

Hopefully they're trying to phase its release out over different regions. Maybe this means we'll get it this week?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Hopefully they're trying to phase its release out over different regions. Maybe this means we'll get it this week?

We'll never get it. Bank is a myth. Like Arceus.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

But we got that on occasion, through downloadable events and stuff.

Not through the actual means of the Azure Flute, because why use an actual event coded in the game, then have an additional event in a future game that no one can access because we couldn't do the original event to begin with? GameFreak is... odd.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
If I recall, GameFreak's actual reasoning for not including the Flute was that in testing, people were confused on what to do with it and wouldn't have discovered the content anyway.

It's like they forgot the Internet exists and that some people would have stumbled upon the event and posted about it. :psyduck:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Wait, it's really out in Japan? Source?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NightfallGemini posted:

If I recall, GameFreak's actual reasoning for not including the Flute was that in testing, people were confused on what to do with it and wouldn't have discovered the content anyway.

It's like they forgot the Internet exists and that some people would have stumbled upon the event and posted about it. :psyduck:

You forget this is nintendo we're talking about. I don't know if they understand this whole internet + handhelds/consoles thing.

http://kotaku.com/its-hard-to-make-a-game-when-nintendo-doesnt-use-xbox-1499745764

TwoSheds posted:

Wait, it's really out in Japan? Source?

https://twitter.com/tugaaaru/status/425775149753700353

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I wanna start a band called "Choice Band".

We would play our instruments really hard, but only play one song per set.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

NightfallGemini posted:

"We were okay with it being badly designed because people could figure it out using the internet"

Yeah no I'm glad they realized how obscure it was.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

MustelaFuro posted:

Edit: I found a very successful gimmick while playing around but I feel bad using it.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-79776570

This was really funny for some reason.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

God is real and He lives under a truck.

Internet Kraken posted:

In the context of the current doubles metagame, dazzling gleam is better than foul play because foul play has poor coverage, is weakened by intimidate (I mean if you intimidate the target), and lacks STAB. People seem to forget that foul play takes STAB into account, so a foul play coming from a klefki will be 33% weaker than a foul play from a sableye against the same target.

Of course there's the swagger/foulplay combo, but relying too much on that kind of setup can get you killed in doubles. Obviously klefki's dazzling gleam isn't going to be OHKOing anything (hydreigon and most scrafty are 2HKO'd) but it has a lot of utility as a spread move squeezing out those last few hit points on things, and you'll frequently be hitting two opponents super-effectively at the same time. Klefki is obviously still a supporter and should generally only attack as a last resort, but you get way more mileage out of dazzling gleam than any of the other 'token attack move' options.

Diet Poison posted:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Occa Berry/Rocky Helmet
Relaxed
0 Spe
252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
~ Leech Seed
~ Protect
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

But seriously, Skarmory is one of those pokemon that just isn't suited to doubles. 65/70 base special bulk means it gets wrecked by neutral special attacks, and you'll often be taking hits on both defenses in the same turn. I wouldn't recommend using it at all, but if you do, some noteworthy moves are sky drop, taunt, and the rather gimmicky guard split. So I guess those three with protect would be my off the record "recommended" set.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

bank is also listed on the US eshop now, but still with the "TBD" release date

like how hard is it to firm up a release when it's almost a month late already? :cmon:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

I can't read what that says, and nobody else has said anything about it online, so I'm going to keep my hopes grounded until I hear something semi-official.

Feranon posted:

bank is also listed on the US eshop now, but still with the "TBD" release date

like how hard is it to firm up a release when it's almost a month late already? :cmon:

Hasn't it been like that in the store for the past month?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's like any other game where the DLC is already included in the base game and you have to pay extra just to get to materials that are already on your disc or game card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

In the context of the current doubles metagame, dazzling gleam is better than foul play because foul play has poor coverage, is weakened by intimidate (I mean if you intimidate the target), and lacks STAB. People seem to forget that foul play takes STAB into account, so a foul play coming from a klefki will be 33% weaker than a foul play from a sableye against the same target.

Of course there's the swagger/foulplay combo, but relying too much on that kind of setup can get you killed in doubles. Obviously klefki's dazzling gleam isn't going to be OHKOing anything (hydreigon and most scrafty are 2HKO'd) but it has a lot of utility as a spread move squeezing out those last few hit points on things, and you'll frequently be hitting two opponents super-effectively at the same time. Klefki is obviously still a supporter and should generally only attack as a last resort, but you get way more mileage out of dazzling gleam than any of the other 'token attack move' options.

It does barely any damage to stuff that isn't weak to it, which is a lot. Meanwhile, there's plenty of stuff that foul play will hit super hard due to their inherently high attack or type weakness. Plus foul play can punish stat boosters. That Kangaskhan that has being using power up punch? Well your foul play just OHKOd it. And what do you mean relying on swagger/foul play can get you killed? You should only be using foul play in a situation where klefki has no better options. Using swagger on a spat attacker and then hitting them with foul play if they refuse to switch isn't hard at all and is going to do a hell of a lot more than dgleam ever will.

Dgleam is good if you happen to go up against Hydreigon and Scrafty. Otherwise foul play is going to be hitting harder.

• Locked thread