Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Benny, have you ever had a job in your life handling money? What's the most money you've ever held in your hands (real money, not a check or an IOU) at any one given time? Can you pass a credit check? Because bank tellers do have to pass credit checks - hell, most jobs working with consumer electronics these days need credit checks, I know Verizon around here has that requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I just searched online for bank teller jobs. I searched several banks in my area and none of them are hiring for tellers: they're hiring for bank managers and financial advisers. So after finding nothing I applied to four more retail jobs online. I'll look online for open bank teller positions again.

Not bad, Benny the Snake. What are you going to do tomorrow to help you land a job before February 1st?

Edit: Nothing? That's cool.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 19, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Oh Benny.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
TBH if he hasn't been able to secure and maintain employment in a year why would anyone believe he could do so in a three week deadline?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Coffee Wolf posted:

He's just saving it, like the Al Gore of words. You don't want all the proper English to run out of stock, do you?

Benny please open a grammar-credits company wherein people can pay you to not use good grammar thus effectively reducing the overall good-grammar footprint thereby saving the earth.

DO IT.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The fact that he refuses to acknowledge the adorable grammar mistake on the last page is a fantastic summation of the last year he's spent trying not to gently caress up anything beyond having breakfast.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Benny please open a grammar-credits company wherein people can pay you to not use good grammar thus effectively reducing the overall good-grammar footprint thereby saving the earth.

DO IT.

I've heard worse Kickstarter pitches.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Benny the Snake posted:

My grandmother offered to lend me money towards a car but I won't do so until I have a means to pay her back.

This could be taken as yet another convenient excuse to not have additional means to find a job, which makes it harder to find a job, which means you do not have a job (yet, again, still).

I feel better knowing that he not only ignores help from this thread, but also help from his family who actually know and love and are invested in him.

Oh, Benny. :sigh:

Thora fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 20, 2014

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Benny, I've been many things in my relatively short career. I've been a cook at a pizza place, I've worked at a grocery store and in retail, and I even spent a summer sanding furniture in a factory. Of all of my jobs (including my current one as a scientist at a university), by far the most stressful I ever held was that of bank teller. You are constantly physically counting and moving large amounts of money between the bank and customers. One missed $100 bill (the new ones can be really sticky), one incorrectly filed check or money order, and you're toast. I've seen people fired and cleaning out their desk right in front of me, sobbing while the rest of us keep working. And if you think customers in a retail setting can be stressful, imagine how happy they are to see their bank teller act nervous or slow with their money.

It's not like being a bank teller is a Sisyphean ordeal, or as difficult as being a surgeon or something. But it's a job that requires very fast turnaround on a constant basis, with literally no room for error.

Edit: On the other hand, being a bank bookkeeper was an amazing job. I got to sit next to a computer taking phone calls all day from people who wanted to check their bank balance or transfer money. Sometimes I filed papers. Nowadays though these departments are gone or really small, thanks to internet banking (which was JUST starting at my bank when I left my job). It would have been a great job for you too.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 20, 2014

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I'm at the point with this thread where I honestly don't see the point of even responding to anything he posts anymore. He will never take anyone's advice.

Benny, you were offered assistance to get a car to secure a job. You should have taken it. You would be able to widen your job search a bit. Any reason you give for not taking that offer is just a lovely excuse. All you give are poor excuses (mental issues aside). You don't respond to a lot of the advice/comments/questions people have. What's the point?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

CravingSolace posted:

I'm at the point with this thread where I honestly don't see the point of even responding to anything he posts anymore. He will never take anyone's advice.

Benny, you were offered assistance to get a car to secure a job. You should have taken it. You would be able to widen your job search a bit. Any reason you give for not taking that offer is just a lovely excuse. All you give are poor excuses (mental issues aside). You don't respond to a lot of the advice/comments/questions people have. What's the point?

Dude wanted goons to chime in and say "yea, your mom is a jerk Benny, we feel you." Anything beyond that came from the thread, not the OP. He never wanted any of this, the thread quickly found the underlying issue, notice the title is not about, "help me find a job" or "time for me to be an adult." Dude had an argument with mom and then it became some other thing where everyone badgered him for updates on poo poo he clearly was uninterested in.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I guess his mom is letting him keep his comic books? I forgot that this whole thing started because she threatened to throw them out.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Just re-read the OP again and haha goddamn, it is still one of my favourite posts of all time. Benny, you should drop this professor dream, become a lawyer and successfully sue your parents for Comic Book Crimes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Dex posted:

Just re-read the OP again and haha goddamn, it is still one of my favourite posts of all time. Benny, you should drop this professor dream, become a lawyer and successfully sue your parents for Comic Book Crimes.

Don't forget his ace in the hole -- his "nuclear options". The last ditch turnabout tactic.... :jihad:

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Area Man Crashes Shopping Cart Into Courthouse, Kills Five

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Dex posted:

Man, talk about a trip down memory lane. I wonder if Danny ever got a job or if his mom, cruel Christian that she is, is still supporting two grown children in her house.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

in_cahoots posted:

Man, talk about a trip down memory lane.

I had a different job and different address, back then. My best friend's dad was still alive. Breaking Bad and Futurama were still in full swing.

My Tapped Out city was a mere Moe's Pub, Simpson's House, couple brown houses and a Kwick E Mart.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 21, 2014

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I made $22 this month on textbroker for about one hour total of work. Between textbroker and duolingo I have made my "messing around on the internet" time a little more productive. Thanks, thread!

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 21, 2014

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

How far are you on your current employment goal? Honestly wondering.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

in_cahoots posted:

Man, talk about a trip down memory lane. I wonder if Danny ever got a job or if his mom, cruel Christian that she is, is still supporting two grown children in her house.

We're coming up on a year now, this thread really needs a Best Hits post. Grilledvegetablesgate was my favorite.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
OK, this is mean, but my favorite is "I think I have a job." Two posts later: "Well I talked to a person on the phone and I didn't get her name or email. I'm gonna lean in."

I think Benny the Snake is learning to break out of those habits, though, and begin to think ahead a little.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Pfirti86 posted:

We're coming up on a year now, this thread really needs a Best Hits post. Grilledvegetablesgate was my favorite.

Please do because I don't want to read this entire thing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Mellophant posted:

How far are you on your current employment goal? Honestly wondering.
12 jobs applied for altogether. Tomorrow is the interview workshop.

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

12 jobs applied for altogether. Tomorrow is the interview workshop.

That's pretty good actually, you should also consider applying for your local temp. agencies as well

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Mellophant posted:

That's pretty good actually, you should also consider applying for your local temp. agencies as well

If he hasn't done that by this point then...

...no, wait, nothing Benny fails to do surprises me anymore.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Mellophant posted:

Already have.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:toot: Great job, Benny! :toot:

At this rate, you'll become an independent adult by the time you're 40! That's not too shabby, and there will be plenty of attractive girls that love to date fat dudes who still live at home with their parents well into their 30s.

Now you're on the trolley!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

WampaLord posted:

:toot: Great job, Benny! :toot:

At this rate, you'll become an independent adult by the time you're 40! That's not too shabby, and there will be plenty of attractive girls that love to date fat dudes who still live at home with their parents well into their 30s.

Now you're on the trolley!

Dude, don't jinx it :v:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 23, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Benny the Snake posted:

Dude, don't jinx it

I really don't think you're qualified to tell people not to jinx things, Benny.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I'm sure if you gently caress up yet again, it'll be WampaLord's fault.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

laplace posted:

I really don't think you're qualified to tell people not to jinx things, Benny.
I was joking.

I just hit 20 jobs today. Most if not all of them were retail jobs. I also went to the interview workshop. I have the slides and wrote down notes. I'm scheduling a mock interview with my adviser.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You act as though everything thus far hasn't been a mockery.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Benny the Snake posted:

I was joking.

I just hit 20 jobs today. Most if not all of them were retail jobs. I also went to the interview workshop. I have the slides and wrote down notes. I'm scheduling a mock interview with my adviser.

See if you can schedule several so that you get practice at different types of interviews - phone interviews, panel interviews, assessment centres, etc as well as one on one face to face interviews.

Also, you haven't mentioned STAR. Much as I really, really hate STAR it's a very common framework used in interviews and you need to be familiar with it so that when you get hit with "tell me about a time..." stuff you can give a concise, on-point answer instead of waffling and not providing the information they're looking for.

Most interviewers will pick 4 or 5 from a list of about 20 basic scenarios (and many seem to use the same list) but always have answer ready for questions you don't expect to be asked. I once got "tell me about a time you leveraged a business relationship" thrown at me during a phone interview for a credit analyst's position and it was so out of let field that it nearly threw me off the whole interview.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 23, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

In the future, add in a :v: afterwards, then everyone will understand that you're joking. You would think an English major who's on the forums as much as you would pick up on these conventions.

E: VVV No lie, I had a running gag with a friend who's not a goon where we would make that face at each other after jokes.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 23, 2014

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Also remember to make that face in real life, when telling jokes.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dex posted:

Also remember to make that face in real life, when telling jokes.

No, no, you use :iamafag: in real life. God, this forum gives the worst advice.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lolie posted:

See if you can schedule several so that you get practice at different types of interviews - phone interviews, panel interviews, assessment centres, etc as well as one on one face to face interviews.

Also, you haven't mentioned STAR. Much as I really, really hate STAR it's a very common framework used in interviews and you need to be familiar with it so that when you get hit with "tell me about a time..." stuff you can give a concise, on-point answer instead of waffling and not providing the information they're looking for.

Most interviewers will pick 4 or 5 from a list of about 20 basic scenarios (and many seem to use the same list) but always have answer ready for questions you don't expect to be asked. I once got "tell me about a time you leveraged a business relationship" thrown at me during a phone interview for a credit analyst's position and it was so out of let field that it nearly threw me off the whole interview.
We were taught PAR: Problem, Action, Result.

I asked the adviser who taught the workshop an important question. I asked him if I should or should not re-apply at target after being terminated. He explained since Target is a large corporation with multiple locations, it wouldn't hurt to apply at a different location. I already re-applied at a different Target so now I feel a little better about my decision.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Ursine Asylum posted:

No, no, you use :iamafag: in real life. God, this forum gives the worst advice.

I actually do make that face a lot. So embarrassed.

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

What did they say at the temp. agencies? When I was hurting for work after being laid off in '08 all I did was walk in, pee in a cup and walk out with some really mediocre entry level blue collar job. If you actually did check it out I'm surprised you didn't come out of it with a job.

It's not the best of gigs, but it's a good spot to find work that's in your field in the mean time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

I asked the adviser who taught the workshop an important question. I asked him if I should or should not re-apply at target after being terminated. He explained since Target is a large corporation with multiple locations, it wouldn't hurt to apply at a different location. I already re-applied at a different Target so now I feel a little better about my decision.

Surely there was a "have you ever worked at a Target location in the past? If so please provide store location, employment dates and reason for leaving" line in the application, how did you answer it?

• Locked thread