Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Huh, that would be the first change to his regular design, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I'm curious about this. I have serious doubts that Cartoon Network would allow a drastic change to Finn's design like a permanent robot arm, but if they allow this minor thing it might pave the way for future changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about this. I have serious doubts that Cartoon Network would allow a drastic change to Finn's design like a permanent robot arm, but if they allow this minor thing it might pave the way for future changes.

You'd think they'd be all for it because of the toy and merch prospects.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Rattleballs preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yppIqv0x0A8
The hype is still present, looking forward to next week's ep.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

Zeruel posted:

Rattleballs preview

That pun was terrible... I really hope someone points out how terrible the pun was in the episode. Then it can become funny!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You'd think they'd be all for it because of the toy and merch prospects.

That kind of thing doesn't happen in these shows, though. Spongebob would never change his design.

Plus, we've already seen with PBs de-aging and Jake's parenthood that the status-quo does not change for longer than an episode.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh man, that preview was just lousy with pretext. He was trying to block the eggs with his peni- sword.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Steve Yun posted:

Frost and Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aTPyYp7vEg

In the third dream, someone in this thread pointed out that Finn becomes a summary of puberty: an awkwardly proportioned hairy man-baby who babbles incoherently.
My call that Finn would end up having "totally-not-wet-dreams" in this episode, which I made before it even aired (based on previews?) is still one of my proudest moments in this thread.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Hamshot posted:

Oh man, that preview was just lousy with pretext. He was trying to block the eggs with his peni- sword.

You guys will find sexual subtext in anything, holy poo poo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zeruel posted:

Rattleballs preview
Is Rattleballs just Benson from Regular Show standing on his head?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

MojoKingBee posted:

You guys will find sexual subtext in anything, holy poo poo

Help I can't tell where the seriousness ends and the sarcasm begins

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TwoPair posted:

Don't worry, death of the author means that your interpretations are just as valid as any other.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

TwoPair posted:

Welcome to my world.

By the way, if I blatantly miss someone's sarcasm, feel free to point it out as I am terrible at detecting internet sarcasm.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hamshot posted:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. There's a lot of valid symbolism for the Grass Blade and Frost and Fire being about maturity and puberty but I think this is reading a bit much into a one off gag.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

MojoKingBee posted:

Welcome to my world.

By the way, if I blatantly miss someone's sarcasm, feel free to point it out as I am terrible at detecting internet sarcasm.

Yeah, sure.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Hamshot posted:

Well, if we're gonna do this, shouldn't it be Finn trying to hit eggs with his freudian phallic symbol, only to miss, creating a symbol of juvenile impotency, a subtext further driven in by the fact that he has egg on his face as the result of putting forth effort and failing? I mean, come on, it's obvious.

EDIT: For spoiler tags, forgot some people don't even like seeing previews here. Sorry.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 22, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
nvm

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 22, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
So from the description it seems Rattleballs will have yet more PB. I wasn't kidding when I said Season 5.2 has a poo poo-ton of Peebles. Not that I'm complaining, she's one of my favorite characters and she continues to be the highlight of many episodes she's in. Though, I kind of hope Season 6 has a slight change in focus to another character, maybe. Like Flame Princess, or Marceline, or Ice King. Or better yet, more evenly distributed amongst them.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
There was another preview of the next episode on CN where the Rattleballs guy cut the grass blade in half. Not sure what to make of that, maybe the loving magic sword can heal itself or maybe it's just a short lived weapon. Although I can't find this online now, so maybe I'm just going insane.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

There was another preview of the next episode on CN where the Rattleballs guy cut the grass blade in half.

I look forward to the multi-page discussion about what that will symbolize. Circumcision?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hamshot posted:

I look forward to the multi-page discussion about what that will symbolize. Circumcision?
Considering the theme of the episode, nothing more complex than emasculation I assume.

And it's a magic loving sword, of course it'll repair itself, barring magic damage or maybe fire I don't know

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

And it's a magic loving sword, of course it'll repair itself, barring magic damage or maybe fire I don't know

Serioustalk, that's a good point. Wouldn't be much of an eternal curse if it could just get cut in half. Or burned off by the likes of Flame Princess, for that matter.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 22, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes I wonder about you, Adventure Time thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rattleballs? Well, this one just has to be about male genitalia.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I started watching Adventure Time after the last thread was closed, but between skimming parts of it and Steve Yun's custom title I think I can understand why people here are so freaked out whenever someone tries to bring up the subtext of episodes.

That episode was definitely about Finn's erections though. Because if it wasn't, then it was a very boring and pointless episode.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Alls I get from that preview is that an older gentleman in a junkyard teaches Finn how to use his sword.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Alls I get from that preview is that an older gentleman in a junkyard teaches Finn how to use his sword.

No way Finn is ready for that; he hasn't even found a single rain-soaked magazine of forbidden sword techniques just lying in the forest.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

No way Finn is ready for that; he hasn't even found a single rain-soaked magazine of forbidden sword techniques just lying in the forest.

We haven't seen the episode yet.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hey, Adventure Time thread. I didn't know we had one of those. There's more penis talk than I would have expected though.

The new episode looks interesting. Maybe we'll get a nice training session, Karate Kid style.
I really hope the grass sword is here to stay, at least a while. It would be nice to prove that the status quo is not, in fact, Glob and can be challenged.

Speaking of grass, I can't help but be reminded of when Jake tried to convince the Fire Kingdom that Finn was the Prince of the Grasslands. Could this be Finn's first step towards royalty?

...ok, now we're going into crack theory territory.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Wait, am I the only one so dense, I didn't see the dicks connection at all?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Casull posted:

This show is actually a satanist conspiracy to teach our kids about sexuality disguised as an adventure/comedy show! If you play Jake's voice backwards he actually says "hail satan".

edit: If Finn gets a grass sword/penis what did Fionna get?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Casull posted:

No, you have to be a proponent of Freudian psychology to observe it so tenaciously.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Peanut President posted:

She was given a fake sword that trapped her when she tried to use it, so penis envy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Peanut President posted:

A date with the Ice King. He's so cool.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Peanut President posted:

This show is actually a satanist conspiracy to teach our kids about sexuality disguised as an adventure/comedy show! If you play Jake's voice backwards he actually says "hail satan".

Clam club?

Casull posted:

Yeah I don't see it either. The whole 'little buddy' conversation a while back was weird as poo poo too.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
Guys, you're gonna scare away newcomers with all this penis talk!

Anyway, about Rattleballs. I really hope they give a reason for Finn suddenly being so inept with his sword, since he was pretty darn good with it in Blade of Grass and every episode prior. I hate inconsistency!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MojoKingBee posted:

Anyway, about Rattleballs. I really hope they give a reason for Finn suddenly being so inept with his sword, since he was pretty darn good with it in Blade of Grass and every episode prior. I hate inconsistency!
It's cursed, so maybe by accepting it he can control it now, but the curse shifts to making him clumsy?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Casull posted:

I didn't see them either, but now that they have been pointed out to me, they seem so obvious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MojoKingBee posted:

Erectile dysfunction.

I am not being serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MojoKingBee posted:

I'd imagine a blade made of grass is way lighter than a blade made of metal. Although I guess that'd be better shown by him blocking too fast, rather than comically slowly.

• Locked thread