Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

gegi posted:

Clearly that ought to be a game where you throw water balloons full of makeup on moving targets, changing their appearance if you hit.

I was hoping for that exact thing when I clicked on it. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I was looking for girl games to try to use to participate in the thread. I found another sneak kissing game about kissing Justin Bieber and making sure Selena Gomez did not find out.

Looks like I know all the keywords to get this game on Google.

Also, if you really want to smooch The Beebs, here you go:

http://www.addictinggames.com/girl-games/kissbieber.jsp

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

KissBieber is one of the many games a distressed Midnight Voyager sent me on Steam a few nights ago, to be seen in some upcoming video eventually, probably titled "Midnight's Choice."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh for real? Do you have a link to the article or whatever, I'd love to read it in full.

I hadn't heard that from Volition, but I do know it's not uncommon in games where you're given the choice of a default, rather than prompted to make a character. Bioware posted stats showing that not only do most players not use the female version of Shepard, most of them don't even bother picking anything but the default dude and default class (Soldier, ie, the most boring COD/Gears-esque class). Like, it's only 20% of people who put even a bare minimum of effort into using those options. I don't remember if they gave stats for Dragon Age 2, but I bet it'd be similar, with the default guy Warrior.

Back on topic, I hope someone uses this thread to look at some hidden object games. They're not my cup of tea, but there's a surprising variety in them, and they've kind of filled a lot of the niche point & click adventure games used to, Telltale and DoubleFine notwithstanding. Most of them seem to be aiming for either the Nancy Drew set, or the 'mom' demographic that can't get enough John Grisham or Dan Brown.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I hadn't heard that from Volition, but I do know it's not uncommon in games where you're given the choice of a default, rather than prompted to make a character. Bioware posted stats showing that not only do most players not use the female version of Shepard, most of them don't even bother picking anything but the default dude and default class (Soldier, ie, the most boring COD/Gears-esque class). Like, it's only 20% of people who put even a bare minimum of effort into using those options. I don't remember if they gave stats for Dragon Age 2, but I bet it'd be similar, with the default guy Warrior.
It'd be interesting to know what the percentages would be if they made the default a black female sniper or something, or had the game randomly generate the features every time you booted up character creation.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Devious Vacuum posted:

KissBieber is one of the many games a distressed Midnight Voyager sent me on Steam a few nights ago, to be seen in some upcoming video eventually, probably titled "Midnight's Choice."

I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't even the most distressing game I saw that night.

*weeps*

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I played default DudeShep, because the character creation was rear end. (I think? It's been a while.) It's one of the few games where I did that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nihilarian posted:

I played default DudeShep, because the character creation was rear end. (I think? It's been a while.) It's one of the few games where I did that.

Ms Hale does a much better job of the VO with Femshep. Then again, so did people who didn't check the other voices in SR2. I would love to see if random character generation, or some reedy black guy/girl changes the ratio at all.

Edit: that includes people missing out on the british male voice mind you.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 22, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Ms Hale does a much better job of the VO with Femshep. Then again, so did people who didn't check the other voices in SR2. I would love to see if random character generation, or some reedy black guy/girl changes the ratio at all.
Why are we talking about voices now?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I saw the viking game go by at the very beginning and I said, "Oh, I hope DVac didn't miss that one. That looks legit dope." And it was.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Thanks Internet posted:

So I'm pretty sure that ALL the girls in that kissing game have only one arm.

It's like a Jurassic Park: Trespasser crossover.

gegi posted:

Clearly that ought to be a game where you throw water balloons full of makeup on moving targets, changing their appearance if you hit.

Yeah, I was expecting something like the makeup gun in the Simpsons.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Wanted to echo some of the sentiments about how great the thread is so far; thanks for braving this foray into these terrible games, Devious Vacuum! Its unfortunate how samey some of these are - I wonder how many discrete types of 'girl games' (IE dressup, makeover, kissing game, dating game) are marketed on these sites and how disparate that variety is compared to other flash sites.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nihilarian posted:

Part of what makes playing Femshep great is how she delivers her lines. And has decent armour, aside from some of the designs giving a massive butt-wedgie

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Why... not?

I did prefer Hale to Meer. Both of them were fine actors (Bioware does seem to get consistently convincing VAs) , Hale has the advantage of not sounding like another generic spaceman.

Any list of the most famous voice actresses probably has to include Jennifer Hale, but one up-and-comer I've been paying attention to is Laura Bailey. She gave two stand-out performances in Saints Row 3 and 4 as the female Boss, really capturing that over-the-top action hero character. A couple more roles like that and I think she'll realy cement her name.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Laura Bailey, VA since the 80's, is finally having her big break. :unsmith:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Caufman posted:

Why... not?
I don't mind talking about the voices, but he quoted me and I was wondering what part of my post sparked the talk about voices.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mostly talk about the genricness of Maleshep and the character creation. WQhich made me think how sad it is that so many people missed out on FemShep and Male 3 n SR2

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

tlarn posted:

Laura Bailey, VA since the 80's, is finally having her big break. :unsmith:

She's come a long way since some of her previous gigs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rocketlex posted:

She's come a long way since some of her previous gigs.

Laura Bailey started voicing Omochao in 2010. That's Lani Minella.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Waffleman_ posted:

Laura Bailey started voicing Omochao in 2010. That's Lani Minella.

Omochao...was in other games? Jesus Christ.

EDIT: Oh right, Sonic Generations. I don't remember him speaking, in that game, but I looked it up and there he is.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Laura Bailey's shining achievement is Kaine in Nier.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Caufman posted:

Why... not?

I did prefer Hale to Meer. Both of them were fine actors (Bioware does seem to get consistently convincing VAs) , Hale has the advantage of not sounding like another generic spaceman.

They really weren't both fine actors at the start. Jennifer Hale owned, while Meer was rather bad in ME1 and only got to somewhere around decent in 2. He did much better in 3, but Hale knocked ME3 out of the park so hard that it's just no contest. Then again the comparison may be a bit unfair since she's probably the best voice actor in the industry, and I think Mass Effect was Meer's first major role.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Rise Kujikawa says hello from Persona 4.

(Maybe it's because I watch anime, but Laura Bailey has always been one of the big voice acting names for me. Like I actually remember her name not tending to pay attention to voice acting casts and stuff.)

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Then there's "Man Dress Up" which requires no more introduction or explanation than that.

Reposting this from the previous page because I can't believe that nobody has commented on it. That needs to be someone's avatar.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I was looking through the Girls Go Games site, and, uh, Rosa Parks Dressup.

Rosa Parks cosplaying a tree. I'm on hell's waiting list for sure.

There's also one for Joan of Ark.

I think the thing that really stands out for me with Joan of Arc is the point where she electrocuted Shao Kahn's head off.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Buried alive posted:

Reposting this from the previous page because I can't believe that nobody has commented on it. That needs to be someone's avatar.

dijon du jour posted:

Then there's "Man Dress Up" which requires no more introduction or explanation than that.

I think this guy was on a show on the Discovery Channel. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 22, 2014

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Buried alive posted:

It's 3AM I gave it my best :effort:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

grancheater posted:

Plllllllaydies. :wiggle:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

grancheater posted:

Beaten like a girl, but here's a scrolling version:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gaz-L posted:

Back on topic, I hope someone uses this thread to look at some hidden object games. They're not my cup of tea, but there's a surprising variety in them, and they've kind of filled a lot of the niche point & click adventure games used to, Telltale and DoubleFine notwithstanding. Most of them seem to be aiming for either the Nancy Drew set, or the 'mom' demographic that can't get enough John Grisham or Dan Brown.

For that matter, would the whole Diner Dash ripoff genre count? I know casual gaming in general is in a weird place, as a lot of it seems to be marketed directly to not just women, but the elusive "soccer mom" demographic that is assumed to only be allowed on the computer in between child wrangling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh for real? Do you have a link to the article or whatever, I'd love to read it in full.

Sorry, I just remember someone linking it in one of the Saints Row threads. Not even sure if it's anywhere in the current SR4 thread or some other one.

dijon du jour posted:

"Students' Water-Balloon Fight Makeover" wins the award for Single Worst Concept For a Makeover Game I've Ever Seen. Nothing goes better with large amounts of water than expensive dresses and makeup.

My favourite thing about that is, why students? Not just two disparate concepts thrown together for no apparent reason, but three!

Gaz-L posted:

Back on topic, I hope someone uses this thread to look at some hidden object games. They're not my cup of tea, but there's a surprising variety in them.

My sister has a copy of the Great Gatsby hidden object game. I'll have to see if I can borrow it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I actually saw a grown rear end woman playing one of those shave-the-legs-wash-the-face-and-apply-makeup "games" at work today. So while thinking of this thread I did a search for 'spa' in the Kindle app store and....Jesus wept, the nightmares that unfolded.

I am now the proud owner of some mermaids that I can put like three outfits on after I remove all their pimples and blackheads though. :suicide:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

KataraniSword posted:

For that matter, would the whole Diner Dash ripoff genre count? I know casual gaming in general is in a weird place, as a lot of it seems to be marketed directly to not just women, but the elusive "soccer mom" demographic that is assumed to only be allowed on the computer in between child wrangling.

Generally called "Time Management Games" in casual development circles.

Time Management was never really my thing though so rather than talk about any of them myself, some articles by Emily Short of interactive fiction fame talking about narrative development in Miss Management and Emily's Holiday Season

I personally prefer casual strategy games (where you build stuff and gather resources - Westward was a big name in that category) over the work simulators. It's been a while since I've played a new one but looking around BFG at the moment I was amused to discover there's a game out now called Save The Prince. Always good to have a few princes to rescue now and then right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I think this guy was on a show on the Discovery Channel. Can't quite put my finger on it...

"Here's a shot of Jamie during his male model days in the late 70s. I believe he once did a line of coke off the small of Twiggy's back during Paris Fashion Week."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I played a couple of the online dressy uppy games with ladyfriends when I was younger.

It's weird, because, I mean I loved playing with lego as a kid, and I love playing minecraft now because it's kinda the same thing.

But I also loved playing with action man as a kid and I had a shitton of dress up outfits for him (my gran used to knit them for me) so it's odd that the video-game equivalent isn't any fun.

Though that said, the videogame equivalent of barbie/action man is probably an RPG, dress up your person and go have made up adventures with them.

I can't honestly think of many 'girly' things that need a specific game for them. Other than the colour scheme there doesn't appear to be a lot of significant difference between good games designed for girls and good games designed for... erm... everyone else? Is there a direct counter demographic to 'girls'? Prepubescent boys perhaps? So I guess Skylanders is the counterpart to My Magical Horse Adventure 5 or whatever.

I wonder if there is a space for a genuine new genre or something specifically centred around girly things. I mean gears of war is pretty much the ultimate stereotypical man game, gore, screaming, burly angry beard-having men with burly guns, wrasslin' with burly aliens while everything explodes. What would the ultimate girly game be like if you gave it the same degree of production quality?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 22, 2014

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

A guilty girl game pleasure of mine are those hidden object games. They pretty much all look like this

They are a basic mix of adventure game, hidden object screens, fetch quests and puzzles. I assume they are girl games because the protagonist is almost always a 30 year old woman who has save her daughter or husband from a ghost/evil millionaire/psychotic doctor. Us chicks must dig haunted mansions and abandoned asylums because 99% of these games take place in those locations. I think these games look pretty good, a lot of effort goes into making them and as far as I know they are super popular. I quite like that the protagonist gets to poke about various spooky looking places, solving poo poo and being the one to save everyones rear end. No dressing up, no being pretty, just solving poo poo.

So yeah, maybe a nice example of good girl games? I don't know if y'all would classify this as exclusively a 'girl game', but I think the target audience is certainly women rather than men.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if there is a space for a genuine new genre or something specifically centred around girly things. I mean gears of war is pretty much the ultimate stereotypical man game, gore, screaming, burly angry beard-having men with burly guns, wrasslin' with burly aliens while everything explodes. What would the ultimate girly game be like if you gave it the same degree of production quality?

Dress up your girl in exacting detail, before mounting your horse (obviously, you can pimp your horse out however you like), and galloping down the street shooting seduction lasers at all the boys so their spirits ride in your ghost-horseman-posse. Different outfits and stuff could give you bonuses to your eye lasers/horse speed/et cetera. Obviously, everything explodes... in sparkles!
Uhm. Needs more focus.
Okay, you're playing as a young debutante prior to her coming out, and the bitchy clique at your school are planning to ruin the whole event, so your goal is to collect the seven magical boys who are the most desirable in school. In order to do this, you have to accrue lots of dead boy spirits so that your 'popular with the boys' stat rises, and they see you as being more desirable (because everyone knows that people want things other people are shown as wanting).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Dr Scoofles posted:

hidden object games

There's a good Extra Credits episode about Hidden Object games. It's kind of interesting how despite being a massive market, it's so well separated from the sort of gaming environment we tend to think of. The video doesn't really say anything groundbreaking, but it might be worth a look if you're interested.

With that in mind, despite being well outside the target demographic, I'm interested. Any recommendations?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

Dress up your girl in exacting detail, before mounting your horse (obviously, you can pimp your horse out however you like), and galloping down the street shooting seduction lasers at all the boys so their spirits ride in your ghost-horseman-posse. Different outfits and stuff could give you bonuses to your eye lasers/horse speed/et cetera. Obviously, everything explodes... in sparkles!
Uhm. Needs more focus.
Okay, you're playing as a young debutante prior to her coming out, and the bitchy clique at your school are planning to ruin the whole event, so your goal is to collect the seven magical boys who are the most desirable in school. In order to do this, you have to accrue lots of dead boy spirits so that your 'popular with the boys' stat rises, and they see you as being more desirable (because everyone knows that people want things other people are shown as wanting).

I'm not sure we have the necessary particle rendering technology to handle the appropriate amount of bishie sparkles those games would require.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm not sure how convinced I am that the hidden object games are really "girl" games over that coveted. "Whole family" grabber. Both of my parents spend a lot of their home computer time playing casual flash based games, whether they're match-3 or something like monopoly. And hidden object games are pretty popular on their computer, including them regularly paying for them. Both play them a lot, and it's not uncommon when one is playing that someone passing by will have to get in on things and help. When my 6 year old son is around, he loves playing these games with anyone willing to help too. But yes, I do agree with the sentiment that most have spooky and/or paranormal settings, and a lot of them do seem to have female protagonists, if the story provides for an identity for them at all beyond the player.

• Locked thread