Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

I finish work at 2:30pm so I'll come by after probably. If you're still there.
I don't follow the NFL at all but I think it would be cool as to do a meet up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hiddenmovement posted:

Hopefully we shall get some tribunal tweaking for better consistency

Yeah, and maybe monkeys may fly out of my butt

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
There's the Grand Final entertainment sorted.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Great idea, haven't seen Wayne's World for ages.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

stayl posted:

There's the Grand Final entertainment sorted.

I will pay almost real money to see this happen.

Dollar dollar bills y'all, monopoly style.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Figured I'd round up everyone's best team list for anyone getting into the sport or looking to familiarize themselves with players on other teams.
I will make one of these for each team before preseason begins, list out your best teams here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5Dmqq14azhdE1rX3ZLaEpDa0pROHExX3ZBQy1kdWc&usp=sharing

Here's West Coasts:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
is it just me or do the eagles have way too many talls in their side at the moment?

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Figured I'd round up everyone's best team list for anyone getting into the sport or looking to familiarize themselves with players on other teams.
I will make one of these for each team before preseason begins, list out your best teams here:

Do you mean fill it out fantasy league sort of way with like a dream team?

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
Also good to see my name added to the list of Swans supporters on the first page!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Diet Crack posted:

I will make one of these for each team before preseason begins, list out your best teams here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5Dmqq14azhdE1rX3ZLaEpDa0pROHExX3ZBQy1kdWc&usp=sharing

Here's West Coasts:

Is Beau Waters ever returning to play? He's a very handy supercoach backman when he's fit.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

snaeksikn posted:

is it just me or do the eagles have way too many talls in their side at the moment?

Not really, no. They're tall up forward, average everywhere else.

davmo1 posted:

Do you mean fill it out fantasy league sort of way with like a dream team?

No, it's your opinion on your clubs best 22 + 4 reserves.

hiddenmovement posted:

Is Beau Waters ever returning to play? He's a very handy supercoach backman when he's fit.

He's likely out for the season or until the very end of it, and at this rate, he probably won't play many more if he gets injured again. Which he will.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Diet Crack posted:

Figured I'd round up everyone's best team list for anyone getting into the sport or looking to familiarize themselves with players on other teams...

Noice, I had a go at Carlton
FF1 LOL, FF2 WAT, FF3 LOL2

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Added the Pies 22. Apologies if I hosed up any formatting or anything; I can only use Internet Explorer on my work computer and it was being weird and lovely.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

quote:

Melbourne midfielder Nathan Jones is confident his side will perform better in season 2014, as new coach Paul Roos implements a cutting edge training regime involving full size footballs.

“‘I think that has been one of the big differences with Roosy,” said Jones. “To really focus on match simulation style drills. If that means the foam Auskick balls need to be left in our lockers until after training, then thats what we’ll do.”

Jones said the outside knowledge Roos has brought to the club had already begun to benefit the playing group.

“If you look at the successful sides in the competition, they all use full size footballs during training,” Jones continued.

“He’s also put a big emphasis on building up our mental capacity, he wants us be able to break through that pain barrier that a lot of our guys feel when getting out of their cars on game day or running consecutive warm-up laps.”

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Still clearly a rumor at the moment but Eddie thinks that Greg Swann, current CEO of Carlton, is a chance to become the Saints new CEO.

https://soundcloud.com/triple-m-footy/is-greg-swann-heading-to-st

That would be interesting and it will be fun to see how pissed off all the Blues fans get. The AFL would have to be heavily involved in the deal if it happened and I'm guess we would have to pay the Blues some cash to help them find a replacement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

They weren't even training with footballs? Jesus, that explains quite a lot.

EDIT: VVVVVVV poo poo, you're right. I was too busy :f5: reply to read the last paragraph which really makes it obvious.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 20, 2014

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It's a joke article.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Idk seemed pretty plausible to me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Melbourne finally realises that scoring in Aussie Rules Football is not the same as golf - having the lowest score doesn't mean you are the winner

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

So I've got a spare ticket to the Ghosts of Princes Park Tour for tomorrow night starting 7:30pm. If you're keen to come, send me a PM. You don't have to be a Carlton fan to come along or anything and it's a pretty unique experience.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

You Am I posted:

Melbourne finally realises that scoring in Aussie Rules Football is not the same as golf - having the lowest score doesn't mean you are the winner

"But we kept on winning all those high end draft picks!"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Edit: nvm

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It says a lot about Melbourne's last few years that I didn't even stop and consider it might be a joke article when I read it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Injury time is afoot.

Doggies forward Jarrad Grant won't start the season on time after fracturing his foot at training.
Essendon's Bellchambers will miss the start of the season after requiring ankle surgery on Tuesday, sidelining him for at least three months.

Yay injuries!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Just got back from the Ghosts of Princes Park tour which was totally rad.
Went around the ground and rare showed footage and interviews with old players and events at the ground as well stuff on the ground itself. One point of interest that I didn't know was that the Melbourne Olympics were originally meant to be held at Princes Park but the MCC and state government came in and trumped the AOC over where it would be held. The head of the Princes Park committee would soon become VFL chairman and he had it in for the MCC which eventually led to the founding of Waverley. They offered a team signed guernsey to anyone who could kick a goal from the spot Malcolm Blight did (didn't even have to be on the full) but no one got close. They also had footage of the game where Carlton kicked 30.30.210 on Hawthorn 12.10.82 which Channel 7 had thrown out but a recording by a fan had been found.

Anyway this is the best clip they touched on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nX8waSQoYA

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Jackson Trengove for Port is out for at least a month as well. Knee injury, I think.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

Anyway this is the best clip they touched on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nX8waSQoYA

Rare footage of Lleyton Hewitt winning

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

TG-Chrono posted:

Urgh I remember that. The Blues fans booed Milburn for the rest of his career and I don't really blame them.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

As a long time Geelong supporter that had the pleasure of watching Milburn blossom into a triple premiership champion backman, I still think he was a oval office.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
One of the worst looking bumps of the modern era. The shot of SOS after he's hit the ground and his head and eyes just roll back makes my stomach turn every time I watch it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I don't even have to see it to remember, and that shocks me a bit. It's some improvement that these days the shocking footage is usually of someone hyperextending their knee rather than someone else "helping".

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
I don't know about you guys, but the worst clip of the modern era was the player taking a kick, someone else's leg intercepting his shin and watching his shin BEND around the other players and snap. Man that was brutal.

I was actually at the game but I can't remember who was playing... It was a Collingwood game.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
At first I thought you were talking about Nathan Brown in 06 or 07 but I cast my mind a bit further back and I reckon you're referring to Craig Kelly in the mid nineties. Or was it Gavin Crosisca? One of those workman Pies defenders anyway.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

There'll be a combine held tomorrow in New Zealand. Weird timing for it but maybe people who try out might get a chance with a second tier club.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014

Shmoses posted:

At first I thought you were talking about Nathan Brown in 06 or 07 but I cast my mind a bit further back and I reckon you're referring to Craig Kelly in the mid nineties. Or was it Gavin Crosisca? One of those workman Pies defenders anyway.

Nah it was definitely in the last 4 years. I tried to google it and youtube, but I started to feel squeamish and had to stop.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

davmo1 posted:

I don't know about you guys, but the worst clip of the modern era was the player taking a kick, someone else's leg intercepting his shin and watching his shin BEND around the other players and snap. Man that was brutal.

I was actually at the game but I can't remember who was playing... It was a Collingwood game.

There was a Fremantle player, I think a midfielder, who broke his leg in 2011. Can't remember his name, but I remember he was an older player, like Podsiadly, who started their AFL career "late".

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

davmo1 posted:

Nah it was definitely in the last 4 years. I tried to google it and youtube, but I started to feel squeamish and had to stop.
Ben Johnson broke his leg in 09 from memory. The worst image I can think of off hand in footy was Lockett splattering Peter Caven's face all over the SCG in 1995 (I think?). Also that still shot of Brent Staker after the Barry Hall punch where you can see he's already knocked out and in the process of falling down is pretty horrendous.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

You Am I posted:

There was a Fremantle player, I think a midfielder, who broke his leg in 2011. Can't remember his name, but I remember he was an older player, like Podsiadly, who started their AFL career "late".
Oh yeah that was Michael Barlow. That was sickening viewing. He was going great guns too.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kepler Bradley did his ACL last year in that manner. He was kicking the ball and someone smothered the kick and bent his leg the wrong way in the process. Goodbye ACL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Fortunately Barlow came back from it and had a pretty good year last year.

There was that thing 2-3 years ago where Jordan Lewis and that Footscray player were both going for the ball and they piled into each other. At least there weren't any lasting injuries (except perhaps for concussion) but that was pretty hard to watch.

• Locked thread