Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Roargasm posted:

Ummmmm literally install Linux on two of your servers and get a Google Apps domain for all of your users. Do source control on Confluence or something. Anything is cheaper in the long run than supporting that amalgamation of worst practice.

Are they planning on merging your storage and mail with the company DB? They should just get you set up there now and have you VPN into the main branch from your regional office

Ahh, I should probably clarify the setup.

Our regional division is smallish and the boss only barely trusts Microsoft, thinks Google is the unholy child of George Orwell and Satan and refuses to spend any money.

But we're a loving huge company. All email is run out of a large Exchange deployment at head office on a properly done VMWare HA setup while we're stuck with non networked machines and a boss who would rather track his staff's availability by emailing a spreadsheet around as Outlook's calendar is too complicated.

This is basically an opportunity to put something in place, and I want to build it with the expectation that it will be absorbed into the wider infrastructure at some point in the future.

So yes while 2003 R2 is old and lovely, and I will be doing much CYA regarding it's end of life and the age of the hardware, hopefully when they start integrating us more with head office they will be able to put new servers in and migrate us without too much hassle. When/if that happens, I want some involvement in that project which is more likely to happen if I'm the one maintaining the existing stuff. There is still a lot of Windows 2003 up at head office (most notably the Citrix cluster) so it won't be too out of place to have 2003 here.

Officially a developer, so my chances of involvement otherwise are basically zero. I loving hate being a developer and my background is sysadmin.

It's basically a chance, albeit a slim one, to get back to where I want to be, and I guess if it all goes wrong I get to fall back on my CYA folder and the fact that I'm supposed to be a developer.

I'd change jobs, but my current one is home based and because of various personal reasons, that is seriously advantageous for me right now, moreso than the usual no commute, and lie-in type advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I legitimately almost didn't get a job because my boss was blocking *@gmail.com. In 2009. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if I had taken that sign.

How did you eventually get in contact with him? Take a horse and buggy down to the telegraph office?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Che Delilas posted:

How did you eventually get in contact with him? Take a horse and buggy down to the telegraph office?

Telegraph? How modern.

Pony Express motherfuckers.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
So, had meeting with boss man. He had hoped the senior would be motivated into productivity by adding me. That didn't happen. He's offered to promote me to her position as I "shined through adversity."

Basically, I get a HOOGE raise and budget to turn things around. Haven't taken it yet as I'm getting poo poo drawn up by a college lawyer roomie who owes me one.

Also, talked to a detective today too. That was super fun. Haven't made any friends already, secured the wifi. Got my first ever "complaint." :rolleyes:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ghana rheya posted:

So, had meeting with boss man. He had hoped the senior would be motivated into productivity by adding me. That didn't happen. He's offered to promote me to her position as I "shined through adversity."

Basically, I get a HOOGE raise and budget to turn things around. Haven't taken it yet as I'm getting poo poo drawn up by a college lawyer roomie who owes me one.

Also, talked to a detective today too. That was super fun. Haven't made any friends already, secured the wifi. Got my first ever "complaint." :rolleyes:

Apologies I was doom and gloom earlier, and if you get this feather under your cap and get everything there turned around, massive... massive kudos to you. I might just have to overnight you some scotch of your choice (okay maybe UPS ground, but the offer still stands sorta)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

Today I learn that in the year 2014, there are still people using Lotus Notes.

You'd be amazed.

I assume they have very good license deals for Citrix hosts, because that's where I usually run into it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Then again we're still using BlackBerry, so I'm not one to talk.

General Motors just switch from Lotus Notes to Outlook a few months ago.

But at least they switched!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Caterpillar and Komatsu both use Lotus Notes. I've heard from some friends that work at Komatsu that there are rumblings of switching to Exchange. Don't know much about Cat though.

Switching from Notes is more complicated than just switching email systems as Notes attempts to provide some database and application functionality. Depending on how ingrained that poo poo is in a company there might be significant development costs and time before even thinking about touching the email side.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Manulife Financial still uses Lotus Notes company wide, with no intention of switching!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Manulife Financial still uses Lotus Notes company wide, with no intention of switching!

Converting their template emails to excel is obviously enough hassle to stay on Lotus.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ghana rheya posted:

A giant raise and a budget to fix things. Maybe this will at least be interesting to do, but you do have one problem - the basic bones of the infrastructure have been screwed, so you'll be under pressure to fix that as soon as possible, without necessarily the time to do it the way you want to/should. Good luck!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ghana rheya posted:

Does your new employer know about this incoming legal document?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

I created a ticket yesterday to have my LN ID re-certified (because I work for a company who still uses Lotus Notes ityool 2014). They sent the ticket back afterwards. I feel like closing the ticket with "A++++++++++ Would create my own ticket and close it again"

To be fair, we only use LN for editing our KB, we use Exchange for everything else. We were suppose to have decommissioned LN by end 2011. Right now I have no idea when we're suppose to be rid of it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

evol262 posted:

While I agree with this in principle, it's better for an experienced Windows shop to just run 2003 on top of Hyper-V or KVM than to bother setting up a Samba DC (I hope you're running Samba4) and fight for budget for licenses in 18 months than even try to get Linux in hand with no in-house expertise. I'm a Linux developer/sysadmin, and I get the rationale, but "install Linux, duh" is just not a solution to "we're a Windows shop with definite business requirements and no budget".

I hope you've documented the reasons you'll fail a PCI audit to your superiors, because auditors are not morons, and they'll discover your Windows NT DCs.

Oh I don't work there anymore, for obvious reasons.

We were PCI-D, so everything was self-audited "honor system". A lot of "Just check off 'Yes' to everything and let God sort it out".

They were trying to Linux-ize everything there for 50% of the users (LTSP on local library fire-sale Pentium 100s used as thinclients). The other 50% floated on OEM copies of Windows 2000/XP (on workstations bought in bulk off eBay) and that was "good enough".

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

Some devices came in that needed to be flashed and I noticed you could change the boot image.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

johnduhart posted:

Some devices came in that needed to be flashed and I noticed you could change the boot image.

You should change it to goatse since the name just below the screen practically says that already.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apologies I was doom and gloom earlier, and if you get this feather under your cap and get everything there turned around, massive... massive kudos to you. I might just have to overnight you some scotch of your choice (okay maybe UPS ground, but the offer still stands sorta)

Yeah, put me in for some rum sent to you as well if you get things turned around and you don't go insane in the process.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
My current job is more project manager so I don't have any good recent stories beyond people who are supposed to be professionals that write emails like they are grade schoolers. I did work for a year in a call center for an ISP that almost drove me to madness and away from IT. Some of the calls I will always remember:

A woman calls in because her internet is down. I start walking her through the basic troubleshooting but she is getting frustrated. She suddenly breaks down sobbing, talking about how her husband always handles this stuff. It's awkward for a bit until she hangs up.

A man calls in and I start working with him. He needs to go to his sons room where to router is to power cycle it. His son wont let him in at first so he forces his way in and they start screaming at each other for a few minutes while I get to sit there and listen.

I think I blocked out the more abusive customers and the ones that were sure they knew what they were doing because they worked with computers. I hated how the company did metrics, they wanted people off the line in ten minutes and I wanted to work them until it was fixed. The only good part of that job was when someone would say I was the first tech that actually fixed their issue. My sympathies go out to anyone still working one of these jobs.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

ghana rheya posted:

I came in as "Junior Admin." The "Senior Admin" took that to mean I'm her replacement and did EVERYTHING possible to gently caress me over beforehand.

Backups, network diagrams, inventory, emails, anything worthwhile was on the DC. Good thing she DBAN-ed it while I was at lunch. Then promptly GTFO. :-$

Edit: I think as hilariously mismanaged as this site is, they may have wanted someone to motivate her into doing a respectable job. Welp. That didn't work.
This goes beyond incompetence to malicious intent. Maybe she was nuking her extensive cp collection from orbit.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
... at 18:30 or so Friday night.

At 2:30, ish, Saturday, it broke SLA for an incident and quietly escalated.

At 6:30 Saturday it escalated again and sent out a round of emails.

At 18:30 Saturday it went critical and sent out another round.

At 18:30 Sunday it started sending out emails every two hours...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who's job was it to put the working hours into your ticket system?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Spuzzz posted:

A woman calls in because her internet is down. I start walking her through the basic troubleshooting but she is getting frustrated. She suddenly breaks down sobbing, talking about how her husband always handles this stuff. It's awkward for a bit until she hangs up.

I had almost this exact call once back when I did that job.

Except with mine the husband wasn't calling because he had died 2 days before, and she needed email to organize his funeral :(

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
We've been having issues with people not being to sign in using their domain accounts. Since I started this job, I have yet to have my supervisor acknowledge which device is running our domain server. I've asked several times if I could take it upon myself to set up an AD and set some GPOs to make managing our network a bit easier. The response has been resoundingly negative and I never understood why.

Today I finally saw it. A lonely CRT sitting in the corner of his office running Windows Server NT.

What the christ :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when I almost want you to come in some night, open that bad boy up and remove a capacitor.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Caged posted:

Probably the same person who ensures that we use NONE of the tools here to their fullest extent. Or any extent beyond the minimum.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

larchesdanrew posted:

We've been having issues with people not being to sign in using their domain accounts. Since I started this job, I have yet to have my supervisor acknowledge which device is running our domain server. I've asked several times if I could take it upon myself to set up an AD and set some GPOs to make managing our network a bit easier. The response has been resoundingly negative and I never understood why.

Today I finally saw it. A lonely CRT sitting in the corner of his office running Windows Server NT.

Short out the power supply.

async1ronous
May 23, 2003

I flopped the nuts straight

larchesdanrew posted:

Etherkiller.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just had this conversation in my office:

Manager: "Can you forward me that loving email?"
Coworker: "Oh yeah, can you send it to me too?"
Me: "You didn't say the magic word."
Coworker: *sigh* "Can you send me the loving email?"
Me: "That's better."

I think maybe we need to spend some time around other people.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Caged posted:

You're assuming that "working hours" isn't a redundant term at his job. :v:

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

We had to do a integration of our product with Lotus Notes recently, I was also extremely surprised it was still around. Its so old my (retired now) father used to work on the team for it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm on call this week.

Doctor opens ticket. I do my usual check of everything that could go wrong. Logs say he hasn't touched the system in over a month and I know him to be a password reset frequent flyer.

Call number provided, it's his office which is loving closed because it's 7 at night. Helpdesk noted his is on X floor. I call X floor and find him, he tells me through a nurse that he'll only accept in person support, which I'm not going to bill an hour of OT for just to drive there and back and make him wait the 30 minute it'll take me. I tell him to stop by the office tomorrow and that's it.

He calls helpdesk again an hour later wondering why I didn't fix the issue. Uhh, because you told me to gently caress off.

I'm on the phone with this jerkoff for a half hour or more. First I figure out he's been putting his username in wrong. I know he wasn't setting the domain to the correct one but he either wasn't listening or loving that up somehow. Eventually the old retard whines to me about how much the system sucks (he's right, it does) and ends the call with some snotty rear end remark about how I wasn't any help.

He can take the one patient he brings every two months and :frogout:. If he can't remember a simple procedure like this he's probably a gross negligence suit waiting to happen when he gives a bad med order.

Gavinvin posted:

We had to do a integration of our product with Lotus Notes recently, I was also extremely surprised it was still around. Its so old my (retired now) father used to work on the team for it.

Ernst & Young still uses it. They were talking about switching to Exchange but like any implementation they've been talking about doing it for a while with no movement yet and it was anticipate to be a clusterfuck. I scurried away into IT where I belong so no idea if they still use it as it's been two years.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 22, 2014

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
In case you haven't seen the various threads on Reddit and elsewhere, if you're using LogMeIn free for any of your family members or whatever, you're gonna have a bad time. It's going away. In one week.

http://help.logmein.com/SelfServiceKnowledgeRenderer?type=FAQ&id=kA0a0000000shH8CAI

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dennyk posted:

You're assuming that "working hours" isn't a redundant term at his job. :v:

I've gotten the spiel at least 3 times about how work/life balance is a thing of the past.

I tell them clearly they mean work/life separation is a thing of the past.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nexxai posted:

using LogMeIn free for any of your family members or whatever, you're gonna have a bad time.

CJing without pay. You were already having a bad time.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Hey guys, how do you spell FUN?

Because for me it's

Fucking
Untested
um..
ChaNges

in the production environment, 2 days after a major product rollout, with the remark of "I trust my guys, don't you?" from the programmer Manager.

gently caress today.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of laptops, while working with our manager of security she said she had a laptop that had been surrendered to security a while ago*; it might have been stolen and then retreived, she wasn't sure. I thought it was the laptop the one user in marketing had stolen from her car, but then I get handed this.

McAffee says it is 14 years out of date, it's running Windows 95 version 4, and came with a PCMCIA 10base2/10baseT NIC with dongle. Not sure what we're going to do with it, no one wants to recycle it because of the novelty/nostalgia factor.

*She later clarified "before I even started here as a security guard"

There's still a good use for machines like that.

Pentium, 75MHz, 16MB RAM and Windows 95 with Internet Explorer. The only dead parts are the batteries. Sadly, I do not have a NIC for it. Still worked when I tested it a few months ago too:

Alternatively, set it up to run 90s PC demos on a loop.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Aww man, I remember that C&C installer, nearly wet my pants installing it the first time! :3:

Click for awesomeness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioyLQ2O6yc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smoke posted:

Pentium, 75MHz, 16MB RAM and Windows 95 with Internet Explorer. The only dead parts are the batteries. Sadly, I do not have a NIC for it. Still worked when I tested it a few months ago too:

Ugh, Dutch Windows annoys me so much.

"U kunt de computer nu uitschakelen."

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
What annoys me more is that some applications don't even care about the OS language, the set locale takes priority. In some cases this is even unchangeable, so you end up with apps running in Dutch on an English OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Smoke posted:

Aww poo poo, now I have to find my C&C CDs.

• Locked thread