Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

masam posted:

I will have to mention this to him after a while because he DID send away for a microwave, not a giant robot. I'll wait until he's invested into the cause and we've been fighting together for a while. Then just off handedly mention. "oh hey, i did some research and asked a couple lawyers I know. Apparently they can't hold you accountable and it's considered a free gift under certain business laws, so you never HAD to pay them to begin with! never even had to join up and fight in a war and kill people! just needed to contact a lawyer! how bout that?" and then i walk off as both the player and character snap.

Or maybe the government in this setting has no such laws or has exceptions to the laws for giant macrowave mechs or somesuch. It is an evil empire after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

masam posted:

I will have to mention this to him after a while because he DID send away for a microwave, not a giant robot. I'll wait until he's invested into the cause and we've been fighting together for a while. Then just off handedly mention. "oh hey, i did some research and asked a couple lawyers I know. Apparently they can't hold you accountable and it's considered a free gift under certain business laws, so you never HAD to pay them to begin with! never even had to join up and fight in a war and kill people! just needed to contact a lawyer! how bout that?" and then i walk off as both the player and character snap.
Did he pre-pay for the microwave? Because he didn't get one so they should probably have sent his money back for that, too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

"So why do you fight?"

"I've seen my friends killed, my family disappeared and my home destroyed all because the Empire doesn't care. It's not the way society should be."

"Well I'm here to get my £29.99 refunded."

"Oh."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I've got a pretty :psyduck: situation that I thought I'd share. I'm not sure if it's bad or cat-piss, but I'm not having a good time.

So I put together a group back in May when the one I was part of fell apart because the GM was a giant man-child (that's a story for another time). I asked a few of my friends, and we ran a (pretty awesome) Dungeon World campaign (I posted the campaign notes somewhere, maybe the DW thread). There was one player, though, this guy I knew through school. I have other complaints, but he did something that I can only classify as weird, and I don't know how to interpret it.

He continuously filled out tables for his characters from the Ashami tables, which I wouldn't normally care about, but he continuously played elven, female lesbians, describing their libido and promiscuity in detail. (I should state that sex never came up at any game I played with him, and it's a topic I don't think I've ever actually even mentioned in a game I ran at a real table with real people.) He ended up tossing his character for another that would fit in the party (that actually became a running them: he had to remake his character at least once after the start of all three campaigns we played together), and he made a bisexual, promiscuous lesbian elf. He'd never act it out at the table (he seldom was even in character), but he always insisted on specifying it in every system for every character: he was always going to be a homosexual, female elf.

Now, that doesn't even really bother me (except for making characters and refusing to act like them), but I think talking to me about your character's promiscuity and sexual libido for a Dungeon World game is weird as gently caress. Whatever, I guess I can get over it. And we played some Shadowrun, and tried a few other things, but no matter what he was a strong, lesbian female.

And then, back in November, heshe came out as a transsexual. Now I don't really give a gently caress about that, and I'd rather she be happy with herself in her own body. I happily switched pronouns (I only used he throughout this story because she was a 'he' when all of this happened), and why would I care that she wants to do something that literally doesn't effect my life in any way. But now I feel kinda taken advantage of: she was leading a closet lifestyle that she didn't feel comfortable sharing, but she insisted on building characters that reflected her own (secret) sexual preferences, and I ran campaigns with characters that, in at least some sense, was just an opportunity for her to act out her preferred ideas of gender and sexualization.

I'm not certain if I'm just being squeamish (and who knows, maybe the table's general acceptance helped her finally tell the whole world, but I kinda doubt it), but I gotta ask y'all: is this bad, or cat-piss, or do I just need to get the gently caress over myself?

Edit: Several people in this thread have pointed out that I'm being dumb and just need to get over myself. This is sage advice, in retrospect, and I now utterly regret making this post for everyone to see how dumb I am.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 13, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't know why you care or why that would bother you.

you were not 'taken advantage of'.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The fact that your friend used your roleplaying game to safely explore their gender issues is actually kind of awesome?

I really am not sure what the problem is here. It's a little weird that you feel betrayed, I guess.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I gotta say, I expected the story to go in a totally different, fetishistic, way. You set up the expectation that it's gonna be something terrible so that second-last paragraph was a nice plot twist. Definitely option C: get over yourself.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Hahaha, I just kinda wished I knew that was what was going on, I guess. I may have oversold how betrayed I feel.

If it helped with her feeling comfortable enough to tell the world, then I am glad I could set up a situation and a table that could help.

Mostly, I just think it is weird that someone I didn't really know insisted on on discussing explicit sexuality with me.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well, how comfortable are you in general life discussing a relationship with a person or acknowledging that someone else is in a relationship? Because that's about as explicitly sexual as what you're describing; determining active sexual orientation based on observation and going along with it. She wasn't comfortable baring her soul right at that point and kind of took a middle road but importantly didn't impinge on you in any way except asking you to believe something in a fantasy setting which then turned out to be a reality.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I might be the cat piss guy. D: Thanks for the perspective. Good points all around, now I am gonna go sit in a corner and feel like an rear end for a while...

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 13, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

VanSandman posted:

You are not alone.

Neither are you.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You're not wrong to feel confused. Generally, RPGs are (tacitly or implicitly) about things the players are interested in exploring. If they're exploring issues you weren't even aware were issues, that can recolor what your games are or what they meant.

It depends on what you mean as "explicit". I played with someone who turned out to be different than I took them for, but since preference was like .003% of the game, it wasn't a sideswipe. They were my friend before and they're my friend now.

RPGs are a lot closer to theater than Poker or Monopoly. You should probably talk to the other person about how you feel, if only to get a better sense of them as a person. Don't stew in guilt, be active.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

QuantumNinja posted:

I might be the cat piss guy. D: Thanks for the perspective. Good points all around, now I am gonna go sit in a corner and feel like an rear end for a while...

No need to feel like an rear end, by appearances you should be patting yourself on the back for having a table that let your player be comfortable doing things like that. Even if that didn't help them directly with their decision to out themselves ( to you or in general, you never said) it means they trusted you enough to let it out in the game.

You have done a good thing. Feel good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Confusion is unfortunately understandable. Stepping back and asking unrelated people, 'Is there something hinky about this, or is this just my confusion getting in the way?' is a drat sight better than pissing a friendship away on the strength of that shock. I don't think you did too horribly, from that perspective.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dirk the Average posted:

Or maybe the government in this setting has no such laws or has exceptions to the laws for giant macrowave mechs or somesuch. It is an evil empire after all.

No man, evil empires have the best laws because in the process of following the law (especially if it's evil), people become inured to the banality of evil.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Last night, I played the second session of my first game of Pathfinder. It's the first RPG I've played, and it is immensely fun.

The campaign is Red Hand of Doom, and we all have fun characters; the friend who invited me to the game is playing a bard who watched his luthier father die in a horrific lute-making accident, and so he rolls every time he uses Bardic Performance to see if his PTSD affects him when he plays his lute.

My friend's brother is playing a half-elf rogue who inherited the least desireable features of both his parents, and is a mostly-competent rear end in a top hat.

A friend of the DM is playing a pre-rolled wizard (he joined later), who wants to put on the best (stage) magic show ever and became a wizard to do so. The dice supported his aloof wizard thing and he was mostly unaware of what was happening for most of the combat in the first session.

Another friend joined up last night, playing a drunken dwarf paladin. He's a less enthusiastic roleplayer than the rest of us, but by the end of the session he seemed to be integrating well.

I'm playing a standard dwarf cleric who used to be a dwarven banker (which is much more complicated than normal banking) until he got expelled from the Mountainhomes for eating the gold My Strange Addiction-style, and became a cleric to seek redemption. I occasionally subtract small amounts from my gold or whatever gold I find to support this; the DM has suggested that there may be health implications for this in the future.

During the first session, the wizard and bard found synergy in casting grease on the ground under a big hobgoblin, and lighting the grease on fire when it slipped and fell, and nearly starting a forest fire with Burning Hands. The rogue tried to sneak past a hobgoblin in plain sight and failed terribly, and later made up for it by stepping out from behind a tree and slicing another one's head off in one stroke. I collected a bag of dust (Dwarven souvenir) and put a hobgoblin cleric's Tiamat holy symbol in it to keep it (and us?) safe. When the rogue took an arrow through the wrist, I rolled high on a Heal check, broke the head off, and yanked it out.

Notable moments from the second session included being ambushed by a giant spider in the forest; despite having been webbed, I managed to cripple it by casting Summon Monster I to summon a celestial dolphin 35 feet in the air above it. The dolphin survived the fall.

The session ended with the paladin (with arrows in the knee and arm) shouting in the name of Torag in true paladin style, charging across a bridge towards the one remaining hobgoblin guard, and having a young green dragon (which we had seen on a watchtower the previous night) fly under the bridge, grab the edge, and flip over it to land directly in front of him.

I wish I had started doing this years ago.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm playing a standard dwarf cleric who used to be a dwarven banker (which is much more complicated than normal banking) until he got expelled from the Mountainhomes for eating the gold My Strange Addiction-style, and became a cleric to seek redemption. I occasionally subtract small amounts from my gold or whatever gold I find to support this; the DM has suggested that there may be health implications for this in the future.
Your deity is, I presume, Garl Glittergold?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

Your deity is, I presume, Garl Glittergold?

I'm thinking more Raun P'awl.

I don't know what color gold will stain your dwarven skin but Argyria is a real and hilarious disease from ingesting too much silver.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You might turn a purple-blue-grey colour.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Is gold digestible? You could probably scam some dumb townspeople if not. Also, if you were a human gold would be toxic with chronic consumption as it is a heavy metal. Maybe dwarves have goldase or some other enzyme we don't.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mmj posted:

Maybe dwarves have goldase or some other enzyme we don't.

This is what I assumed. I mean, they're dwarves.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mmj posted:

Is gold digestible? You could probably scam some dumb townspeople if not. Also, if you were a human gold would be toxic with chronic consumption as it is a heavy metal. Maybe dwarves have goldase or some other enzyme we don't.

As in, sell them 'magical' gold-based cures and then... reclaim... the gold later on? :catstare:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mmj posted:

You'll poop it out. Go try some goldschlager and see what happens*.

*Don't root in your poop for like less than half a dollars worth of gold.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Chard posted:

As in, sell them 'magical' gold-based cures and then... reclaim... the gold later on? :catstare:

Make your own gold with this one great trick nobles hate, I use it myself! Sell them some random poo poo potion and tell them it shows results in about three weeks and move on.

E: the poo poo potion pun was not intended but I saw it and I'm leaving it in

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I thought gold was inert?

How are you taking your gold? Coin, powdered, in suspension?

It might turn you a really nice shade of red, suspensions of gold nanoparticles are added to stained glass to get red.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

This is what I assumed. I mean, they're dwarves.

I can imagine dwarves using gold for their nerves instead of selenium or something ridiculous.

Of course this is fantasy, but that'd actually be kind of interesting. Gold withdrawal would give dwarves something like...what, Parksinsons?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Daetrin posted:

I can imagine dwarves using gold for their nerves instead of selenium or something ridiculous.

Of course this is fantasy, but that'd actually be kind of interesting. Gold withdrawal would give dwarves something like...what, Parksinsons?

It causes their beards to fall out and to lose appetite for drinking. Many dwarves suffering from acute Gold withdrawal find themselves drawn to a seafaring lifestyle.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Barudak posted:

It causes their beards to fall out and to lose appetite for drinking. Many dwarves suffering from acute Gold withdrawal find themselves drawn to a seafaring lifestyle.

Wait wait wait.

It'd cause brain damage. Cognitive disability. Muscle loss.

Dwarves suffering from gold withdrawal are...kender?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The dwarven race's most secret shame.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Daetrin posted:

Wait wait wait.

It'd cause brain damage. Cognitive disability. Muscle loss.

Dwarves suffering from gold withdrawal are...kender?

Why do you think they keep grabbing up shiny, interesting objects?

They know they need treasure, but not why. :getin:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

You'll poop it out.
He's going to become the setting's fabled goose that lays golden eggs, except in a much more middle school jokes sort of way.

Alternatively there's that 3.5 prestige class where you level up by eating starmetal and slowly turn into a construct.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
So my year long pirates in a Wind Waker/One Piece style setting Pathfinder campaign just came to an end. The highlights were after being tricked into releasing an ancient apocalyptic monster, the party decided that rather then staying behind to save the world, there was only one option to survive and keep their wealth. They would have to escape into space as alien life had sent scouts to attack the planet earlier and thus existed. Thus, they decided to hijack the crashed spaceship they had found earlier, cannibalize it, then commandeer a floating elven city to turn it into a functioning spacecraft.

During their escape of the planet's atmosphere, the main villain tried to assassinate them and ended up dangling the Orc Fighter out the window. So the Gunslinger used an ability he had since the beginning of the game that he had never had used once: Pirate Jargon. When drunk, he can speak in confusing jumbled language to make the enemy roll a Will Save or become confused. The enemy, an ancient possessed maniac who wielded the powers of a monster from beyond this plane, rolled a natural 1 and thus stood there baffled at what was going on. Enough time for the orc to pull him out the window and pile drive him into the planet below while burning up in the atmosphere.

In the end as they discovered new life it was revealed universal inflation had caused their immense riches to now be only piddling riches. And thus, we came full circle to the party reverting to piracy. But now in space.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Chickenfrogman posted:

And thus, we came full circle to the party reverting to piracy. But now in space.
You realize what kind of campaign you need to run now.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

You realize what kind of campaign you need to run now.

Run a game about rogue economists, attempting to rebuild the infrastructure and rebalance the currency of their home planet by mercantilizing imports from space, while getting incredibly rich in the process?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Mimir posted:

Run a game about rogue economists, attempting to rebuild the infrastructure and rebalance the currency of their home planet by mercantilizing imports from space, while getting incredibly rich in the process?

In Klingon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EdBlackadder posted:

In the original Klingon.

Fixed that for you

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mimir posted:

Man, now I really want to run a game about a world that's under alien economic attack. "Strike team, you must take out this alien trading ship before they can convince Brazil to sell away all of their trees for worthless space-gold!"

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo
I lent my DH books to one of my players so he could try to DM a game before he starts making a homebrew, the game is like 45 minutes and I just get a text asking me how I roll up boss characteristics.

no problem I figure, but the problem he was having...

:downs:"What im asking is when I roll the dice I get a 73, what fo I put down"
:eng101: "you roll them separately and add them together so 3+7=10"
:downs:"He has 10 WS"
:eng101: " then you add the home world bonus"
:downs: "home world?"

:eng99:...

More to follow after the game I guess.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Rahns posted:

I lent my DH books to one of my players so he could try to DM a game before he starts making a homebrew, the game is like 45 minutes and I just get a text asking me how I roll up boss characteristics.

no problem I figure, but the problem he was having...

:downs:"What im asking is when I roll the dice I get a 73, what fo I put down"
:eng101: "you roll them separately and add them together so 3+7=10"
:downs:"He has 10 WS"
:eng101: " then you add the home world bonus"
:downs: "home world?"

:eng99:...

More to follow after the game I guess.

Don't feel too bad, I can't count the number of Rogue Trader games I've had to explain this in. Emperor help you when they actually start using skill checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Doomsayer posted:

A quick update: Jim's actually got one semester left, the club leaders continue to be shitheads, so we probably are indeed just going to start a new club in January :toot:

Now we just need to think of a better name than Dedicated Roleplayers Association for Gaming On Nights...

Edit: I'm thinking Good Roleplayers Out Gallivanting Near Absolutely Righteous Dragons. Or something.

Well, it's a new semester and this will be interesting. Jim's still in town, but is complaining about how he needs "a job" and "income" and :jerkbag:

At the very end of last semester he said that he and the former club president talked to the new club president and the new president said it was cool to start up the official 4e game Spring semester. I just emailed the new president and said James would be unable to do it, but I would still be willing to run it. If they say no, I'm sure as hell not starting up a new club on my own. I guess I'll just have to use Fridays to... I dunno, study or go out and socialize or something.

We'll see what happens :ohdear:

Edit: He responded!

quote:

I would like to request that you set a different night of the week for your 4e games. I know that some players will want to do both and I don't want to create scheduling conflicts. If you let me know what nights you're open to run, we can add it into the weekly calendar to help you get set up with available members.

:eng99:

Edit 2: He sent another message:

quote:

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with the game, but I wish to prevent scheduling conflicts that would arise. I don't know what you've spoken about with Ed, but we decide the scheduling of games together to make sure they all have their own time. If you want to run this we'll talk about a time that doesn't conflict with existing games, but Ed has not communicated this with us about any of this.

:raise:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 22, 2014