Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Welp, time for my yearly "Guys I'm totally going to paint my Deathguard this time I promise I won't get distracted and forget like the last 3 years" post in this thread. Is The Duplicolor Sandable Automotive Primer still the best white primer, or is this one that I saw mentioned many, many pages back any good: http://www.michaels.com/Liquitex%C2%AE-Spray-Paint-Titanium-White/fa1683,default,pd.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I'm about to paint a pureblood warpwolf and I want his skin to look "ghostly". Based on what I have, I was going to go with reaper MSP misty grey, then a wash of thinned down citadel teclis blue and a highlight of Vallejo model color off white. Just writing it out here I already feel like its not going to work how I think it will. I guess I'm going to need to buy some more paint but what?

Basically, I think light grey, light blue wash then off white highlight but I'm just guessing based on other paint jobs I've seen. I feel like I'm going to need a glaze...

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Hobby time! So with work and school I have had precious little time to work on my Space Wolves , however today I able to base all of my models and work more on Njal.

(the ear fell off when someone accidentally knocked Njal out my hands)

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Bavius: the finished models turned out gorgeous. The models didn't look "finished" without bases, and the subdued colors used on your finished bases make the tones on your minis pop.

Liquids On A Plane! originated with a government hoax that a handful of common household items could be swished together in an instant to create a bomb powerful enough to destroy an aircraft mid-flight. It's such a ludicrous conspiracy theory yet the policy decisions made based on it still exist to this day. I hate my species and the planet inhabited by it. :smith:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/

Thank you very much. I really enjoyed painting them and I'm glad they turned out okay.

Also got a kick out of that article, nothing like a gullible government to ruin things.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am starting to line up some of the larger bones minis to paint and have decided I want to learn how to better use my airbrush for the minis. Previously I have only really used it for terrain, space tables and priming. For those of you that use an airbrush, is there anything you like to use it for in particular aside from priming and basecoats, particularly on large models? I am definitely going to be trying out some airbrushing on Kaladrax, but may experiment with a couple things on some of the giants as well if it seems worthwhile for either the end result or just to learn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

I am starting to line up some of the larger bones minis to paint and have decided I want to learn how to better use my airbrush for the minis. Previously I have only really used it for terrain, space tables and priming. For those of you that use an airbrush, is there anything you like to use it for in particular aside from priming and basecoats, particularly on large models? I am definitely going to be trying out some airbrushing on Kaladrax, but may experiment with a couple things on some of the giants as well if it seems worthwhile for either the end result or just to learn.

Watch all these videos, profit thereby: Buypainted channel on YouTube

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

nesbit37 posted:

Don't start on Kaladrax imo. Start on a smaller large model that you'll be able to finish in a decent amount of time. I'm painting Kaladrax for spaceinvader atm and although it's fun to paint, I feel like it will never end and even sat painting for a few hours every day I feel like I'm getting no where.

Otherwise get yourself some low tack sticky tape and blu tak and use your airbrush to paint everything.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Leperflesh posted:

Watch all these videos, profit thereby: Buypainted channel on YouTube

He glues right over his paint. :wtc: how does that even work? :psyduck:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

DO NOT QUESTION THE ALL POWERFUL BUYPAINTED! In all seriousness it's superglue and I do that all the time. It's a LOT easier to paint models in separate pieces; especially if you do airbrush work, and if you don't apply a ridiculous amount a.k.a. too much drat glue and keep it in an open area when it dries the chance of getting that white powder stuff is pretty minimal.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 22, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the other hand I feel like most of Buypainted's stuff is for display rather than heavy tabletop use. I think it's easy and harmless to just cover the area where pieces will be glued, with some blue painter's tape or some bluetac/putty, and then peel it off to expose bare plastic when you're ready to glue it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Doctor Zero posted:

Plastic glue will melt right through most paints and the plastic underneath to make its bond. I do it all the time too.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I'm doing a semi-coherent blog series on my adventures with Kaladrax. Hopefully it will include lots of useful information on the Bones material and how to deal with huge models like that.

http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Lethemonster, your blog is rad as hell. Thanks for sharing it.

Fake edit: trying something new with this spiny thing and my Minotaur models, uploaded from my phone. Threw dull coat on them so my fan was on killing the fumes (mute it).

Spinning Minotaurs

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lethemonster thats some good prep work. Having never worked with bones before is that the normal level of fixing required or is this model just terrible?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Lethemonster thats some good prep work. Having never worked with bones before is that the normal level of fixing required or is this model just terrible?

This is the only Bones I've played with so far. I think it's just a case of the model being so big and complicated. It's gorgeous when put together and really good fun to paint, just arduous to get to that stage.

If I was doing the equivalent amount of plastic in normal sized miniatures I would have done the same amount of work - much more, really - but I'd have a collection of 'finished' prepared minis by now, and a number to go.

The only significant issue unique to this model was the fact that there were four very obvious mold lines running down each section of tail, and the tail is massive. I don't even know how you get four mold lines but they managed it! Thankfully removing mold lines from the material I find to be easier and nicer than doing so on plastic or metal models. You need to do it slightly differently, but it's super simple and quick to get down to a smooth surface.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I need advice. I would very much like to try to recreate something like this image:

My FLGS has this mini:

I think it'd make for a good base for it, but I'm not sure the best way to go about altering it. Should I use sandpaper on the fur, or something chemical like acetone? Would it be best to get clay to make the tail, or is there another mini that has a snakelike/dinosaurlike tail I could cut off? Any good ways to make the werewolf's claws longer?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Lethemonster posted:

This is the only Bones I've played with so far. I think it's just a case of the model being so big and complicated. It's gorgeous when put together and really good fun to paint, just arduous to get to that stage.

If I was doing the equivalent amount of plastic in normal sized miniatures I would have done the same amount of work - much more, really - but I'd have a collection of 'finished' prepared minis by now, and a number to go.

The only significant issue unique to this model was the fact that there were four very obvious mold lines running down each section of tail, and the tail is massive. I don't even know how you get four mold lines but they managed it! Thankfully removing mold lines from the material I find to be easier and nicer than doing so on plastic or metal models. You need to do it slightly differently, but it's super simple and quick to get down to a smooth surface.

What do you use to get the mold lines off? I've found these work a lot better than metal files.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

JackMann posted:

What do you use to get the mold lines off? I've found these work a lot better than metal files.

Goddamn, I really wish I had known about these before. I've always used a small metal file that ended up taking off a bit of detail or flattening rounded areas.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Bavius posted:

Lethemonster, your blog is rad as hell. Thanks for sharing it.

Fake edit: trying something new with this spiny thing and my Minotaur models, uploaded from my phone. Threw dull coat on them so my fan was on killing the fumes (mute it).

Spinning Minotaurs

That is a way better way to show off a group of models than the 360' view thing. It shows how they interact with each other on the table top from different viewpoints. Also, great idea putting a water transfer on the back of the banner, I never considered it before.

Iunnrais posted:

I need advice. I would very much like to try to recreate something like this image:

My FLGS has this mini:

I think it'd make for a good base for it, but I'm not sure the best way to go about altering it. Should I use sandpaper on the fur, or something chemical like acetone? Would it be best to get clay to make the tail, or is there another mini that has a snakelike/dinosaurlike tail I could cut off? Any good ways to make the werewolf's claws longer?

To be honest, I don't see much of a match between the two models at all other than the basic bone structure. It would be easier to make an armature from scratch, since much of the wolf model would need to be trimmed off or sanded away. You could try looking through the Lizardmen model line of Warhammer Fantasy.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Iunnrais posted:

My FLGS has this mini:

Try this instead:

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/2011/miniatures/the-anathematics/

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
My ancient pot of Skull White is about to finally give up the ghost. I usually stay away from pure white and use off-whites, but I should have a pot of white around. Who makes the best white? GW Ceramite? P3 Morrow? VGC Dead? Something else?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

My ancient pot of Skull White is about to finally give up the ghost. I usually stay away from pure white and use off-whites, but I should have a pot of white around. Who makes the best white? GW Ceramite? P3 Morrow? VGC Dead? Something else?

I love GW Ceramic White, unfortunately can't comment on the others. Just stay away from White Scars and Pallid Wych Flesh. Chalky crap.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have no complaints with Reaper's Pure White, but I haven't tried anything else.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Vallejo model air white.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

I'm doing a semi-coherent blog series on my adventures with Kaladrax. Hopefully it will include lots of useful information on the Bones material and how to deal with huge models like that.

http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks Lethemonster, you rule!

(minor niggle: thespaceinvader, all one word, no caps, please =) )

You're doing so much more than I would have done, I'm astonished and extremely grateful.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for the links and I am definitely interested in seeing how Kaladrax goes for you. Mold line cleaning on bones has been a pain so far without taking of too much so that will be good to hear as well. I chickened out on the airbrush last night and started on the fire giant queen with a regular brush instead. When I finish her today (hooray for snow closings!) I am hoping to try out the airbrush on one of the other fire giants.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Hrm. But I'd wonder if it'd really be easier to mold biological features (like abs) onto a robot looking thing than to take fur off of a werewolf. And I still need a tail. (the head I can likely get from a skeleton or similar and add horns)

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
I can say with certainty that Liquitex Matte Varnish sprayed through an airbrush is the new best matte varnish of all time. It dries instantly so there's no chance of over spraying and clouding up, it's way cheaper than Testors Dullcote and there's no horrible lingering toxic fumes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Really if you head swap a scary horned skull into an Alien Xenomorph body you'd be all set. And there's no shortage of either component in miniatures gaming.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

How do you go about changing the color when you use the Citadel Agrellan Earth? Do you mix AE with a different color first and paint that on, or paint on AE first and paint over that with what you want?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh, huh. That's actually a good question. I'd think that painting over it would be a problem with a brush, because you'd risk removing the flakes. It might be do-able with an airbrush but at the risk of obscuring the detail of smaller cracks.

I'd say give a go with mixing in a colour on a small patch so you don't go accidentally ruining your paint.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pacheeco posted:

I can say with certainty that Liquitex Matte Varnish sprayed through an airbrush is the new best matte varnish of all time. It dries instantly so there's no chance of over spraying and clouding up, it's way cheaper than Testors Dullcote and there's no horrible lingering toxic fumes.

I've had a lot of trouble with minor but noticeable clouding, but I think I may be staying too far away and drying it before it hits the model. When you spray it do you see a wet layer on the model before it dries?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've had a lot of trouble with minor but noticeable clouding, but I think I may be staying too far away and drying it before it hits the model. When you spray it do you see a wet layer on the model before it dries?

Not in any noticeable way that made me go "I need to let this sit and dry". I spray my varnish pretty close, probably between 4-6 inches and the Liquitex Matte was drying pretty much the instant it hit the model. I could actually watch it dry on the model it happened so fast. I use a Badger 100 with a .75mm needle and about 30 PSI to spray varnish. Matte varnish, I've learned, doesn't need a heavy or even medium coat to do it's job. A single quick, light pass seems to do the trick 95% of the time. If your matte varnish is clouding up that (probably) means it's pooling which means you're spraying too much varnish. If it becomes all gross and white and chalky that usually means it's drying in the air before it hits the model or it's having a bad humidity reaction.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 22, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

moths posted:

Really if you head swap a scary horned skull into an Alien Xenomorph body you'd be all set. And there's no shortage of either component in miniatures gaming.

A google search is not showing me who still makes xenomorph minis besides Horrorclix, which seems sub-ideal. I'm finding a number of mini makers that USED to make xenomorphs prior to a cease and desist...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pacheeco posted:

Not in any noticeable way that made me go "I need to let this sit and dry". I spray my varnish pretty close, probably between 4-6 inches and the Liquitex Matte was drying pretty much the instant it hit the model. I could actually watch it dry on the model it happened so fast. I use a Badger 100 with a .75mm needle and about 30 PSI to spray varnish. Matte varnish, I've learned, doesn't need a heavy or even medium coat to do it's job. A single quick, light pass seems to do the trick 95% of the time. If your matte varnish is clouding up that (probably) means it's pooling which means you're spraying too much varnish. If it becomes all gross and white and chalky that usually means it's drying in the air before it hits the model or it's having a bad humidity reaction.

The issues I've had with airbrushing the Liquitex aren't so bad that I would really call them frosted or cloudy, just a slight washing out of colors and maybe minute chalkiness. Next time I'll err on the side of too heavy than too light and see if that fixes it or ruins it in a new and exciting way :v:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

The issues I've had with airbrushing the Liquitex aren't so bad that I would really call them frosted or cloudy, just a slight washing out of colors and maybe minute chalkiness. Next time I'll err on the side of too heavy than too light and see if that fixes it or ruins it in a new and exciting way :v:

Matte varnish is always going to mute the color very slightly; It's more pronounced if you are putting matte varnish on gloss varnish because gloss makes everything contrast and pop more. Under normal operating conditions things shouldn't get chalky; that's a sign something has gone wrong: the varnish is drying in the air, there's humidity problems or the gloss varnish (if you Gloss then Matte) isn't completely dry and cured. Check out http://www.wargamingtradecraft.com/2010/09/liquidtex-matte-varnish.html, there's some information on Liquitex Matte and some pictures of "correct" and "incorrect" matte varnish finishes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah it looks fine when I brush it on so it's definitely a problem with the spraying, not the varnish itself.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of brush-on matte varnish, I've some Daler-Rowney and I've no idea how much or how long I need to shake it. After about 2 minutes it looks like the white substance has mixed with the liquid, but there's always a bit left on the bottom of the jar.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Flash kills everything but I am excited to finally paint something after several months that wasn't Dwarven Forge or terrain and I didn't want to spend the time to set up a lightbox.

I have always really liked this model and I like it even more now that I have finally painted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JoshTheStampede posted:

GW Ceramite White is awesome when you paint it on, but gently caress does it dry out in the pot fast. Had it less than 4 months and it's already a stodgy sludge that needs watering.

• Locked thread