Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
So everything has started moving VERY quickly dispite our October date! I bought our wedding bands last night on a whim because they we were on sale hella cheap. I also went to a bridal show and I think I found our photographer. $1000 for 8hrs for shooting, 500 retouched photos, CD with rights, cd of the raw (untouched) files,and an engagement session.

I also went looking at dresses I didn't expect to find THE dress, but I did. Went to Davids Bridal and the second dress I tried on was it! Didn't order it because I'm cheap and think I can find it online cheaper than $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

So everything has started moving VERY quickly dispite our October date! I bought our wedding bands last night on a whim because they we were on sale hella cheap. I also went to a bridal show and I think I found our photographer. $1000 for 8hrs for shooting, 500 retouched photos, CD with rights, cd of the raw (untouched) files,and an engagement session.

drat this is a great deal! We paid $1450 for 8 hrs (split between rehearsal dinner and wedding night) and a lot of retouched photos, 100 prints, plus CDs.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

German Joey posted:

Speaking of which, did you ever get your engagement ring finished?

Yes, actually! My fiancé gave it to me at a Halloween party at the comic book store, while I was dressed as Cinderella. :)

It's a moissanite ring with emeralds on the sides. Even though it's not the kind of ring I would have picked out for myself, it's still very nice and I've gotten a number of compliments on it.

Looks like I'll be getting a dress from Modcloth, since I haven't found anything else that I like.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I also went looking at dresses I didn't expect to find THE dress, but I did. Went to Davids Bridal and the second dress I tried on was it! Didn't order it because I'm cheap and think I can find it online cheaper than $500.

:psyduck: In what strange utopian land do you live where you can get a wedding photographer for that cheap? My photographer is $3500 and that's considered "average". Also, $500 is a drat good deal for a wedding dress, I wouldn't trust buying it sight unseen from some random place on the internet at a steep markdown. I found what claimed to be my dress online for ultra-cheap, but I realized there's absolutely no way anyone could make my dress for that cheap without taking a loss. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

:psyduck: In what strange utopian land do you live where you can get a wedding photographer for that cheap? My photographer is $3500 and that's considered "average". Also, $500 is a drat good deal for a wedding dress, I wouldn't trust buying it sight unseen from some random place on the internet at a steep markdown. I found what claimed to be my dress online for ultra-cheap, but I realized there's absolutely no way anyone could make my dress for that cheap without taking a loss. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Kentucky. :banjo: She is on the low end of average. Most I have seen are closer to $2000 for the same deal. I've seen some work, but just a Facebook sampling. I am going to see about looking through a few weddings front to back first before booking.

As for the dress I checked the price again. Its $600 not 500 but either way..... I was looking at more like resale sites versus eBay "we make you dress. Real cheap. Ship from china 3 day. You like"

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Wedding photography pricing can vary wildly, but a lot of it is what market you're in that dictates the mean pricing. $3500 would be toward the higher end here in Orlando. Even the pricing for photographers at Disney was around that. $1000 for all of that is definitely really cheap, no matter what market you're in. I stopped shooting, even for close friends, for anything less than $1000 and that wouldn't include an engagement shoot or a CD.

Meniscus
May 28, 2010
So my boyfriend/fiance (oh god I think this is the first I've referred to him as such) and I are doing the most unsexy and unromantic thing possible, and getting married for insurance for me. We did have the intention of doing all the "traditional wedding" stuff eventually but because of the ACA tax stuff this needs to happen rather sooner than later. We're getting rings now but there's not going to be much of a ceremony, at least until there's more money available and we can figure what exactly we want in such a party.

We have two reasons we haven't stopped by the courthouse to at least get the legal bit done. The first is simple-ish. He doesn't like his last name and wants to change it. Doesn't want to take my last name, though regardless of what we do I'll keep it as a middle name. Has anyone run into this, and what did you do? It's not going to be as easy as just changing my last name, legally speaking, but how hard will it be? (I'm in Wyoming if it makes any difference.)

The second is harder. He wants a prenuptial. I have no idea what I'd want in one. I feel like he's confusing it with a living will/advanced directive because he's talking about "what you should do if I'm not myself for whatever reason" but I'm not sure what would be in a prenup. Help!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

As for the dress I checked the price again. Its $600 not 500 but either way..... I was looking at more like resale sites versus eBay "we make you dress. Real cheap. Ship from china 3 day. You like"

Oh okay, that makes more sense.

I keep seeing postings on Etsy and such for really complex fancy dresses for $200 and under which is impossible after the cost of materials and labor if they constructed it in any sort of halfway-decent manner. Sure it's a dress you only wear once so it doesn't have to be super durable, but it also shouldn't look like My First Home Ec Project.

Make sure you find their website and look through their portfolio, there was one photographer I was seriously looking into hiring for my wedding until I realized she had absolutely no indoor pictures posted anywhere and kept dragging her feet about sending me examples of her indoor photography. Huge red flag there. And since I have a winter wedding where I'm going to lose the outdoor light pretty quickly having a photographer good at indoor and night photography was a must. The photographer I ended up with specializes in night photography, which is perfect for us.

Meniscus posted:

The second is harder. He wants a prenuptial. I have no idea what I'd want in one. I feel like he's confusing it with a living will/advanced directive because he's talking about "what you should do if I'm not myself for whatever reason" but I'm not sure what would be in a prenup. Help!

Get a lawyer to help. Obviously I don't know you or your fiancé, but the part about "when he's not himself" would be cause for us to halt to all proceedings and have a sit-down about why he's so insistent on that bit because that's really strange. Does he have reason to think he will suddenly experience a major personality shift? If so, you, as his future wife, should definitely be aware of it before you marry him.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Kentucky. :banjo: She is on the low end of average. Most I have seen are closer to $2000 for the same deal. I've seen some work, but just a Facebook sampling. I am going to see about looking through a few weddings front to back first before booking.

Definitely take a look at some wedding front to back. It throws up a big red flag for me when a photographer is willing to sell their unretouched photos and if I remember correctly you said she just includes them in her package which is even more weird.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Meniscus posted:

We have two reasons we haven't stopped by the courthouse to at least get the legal bit done. The first is simple-ish. He doesn't like his last name and wants to change it. Doesn't want to take my last name, though regardless of what we do I'll keep it as a middle name. Has anyone run into this, and what did you do? It's not going to be as easy as just changing my last name, legally speaking, but how hard will it be? (I'm in Wyoming if it makes any difference.)

I feel like Nolo Press will be a huge help for you. If you don't know about them, they publish "do it yourself" legal books for things like prenups, living wills, name changes, no-contest divorce, etc. They also have free FAQs and a lawyer directory on their website. In your place, I would buy or borrow the relevant books just to familiarize myself with the processes and terminology, and then if necessary hire lawyer(s).

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

No experienced photographer will be charging $1,000 for 8 hours coverage, 500 edited photos, and printing rights. You might've found a good one who is just getting off their feet (free engagement session makes that likely, standard portfolio-building trick) but make sure they're talented and realize that newbies can miss shots.

Does anyone have recommendations for online print shops?

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

quote="john mayer" post="424680827"]
Definitely take a look at some wedding front to back. It throws up a big red flag for me when a photographer is willing to sell their unretouched photos and if I remember correctly you said she just includes them in her package which is even more weird.
[/quote]

I requested the raw files. My fiancee does freelance photography and we have all the editing software we need so should we want to do something different with a shot than her vision was, we can. This was not offered, it was just something that I requested and she was willing to accommodate my request.

disheveled posted:

No experienced photographer will be charging $1,000 for 8 hours coverage, 500 edited photos, and printing rights. You might've found a good one who is just getting off their feet (free engagement session makes that likely, standard portfolio-building trick) but make sure they're talented and realize that newbies can miss shots.

This was the negotiated package. We did not want printed proofs so we settled for an increased number of edited photos and rights. She has been doing photography for about 4 or 5 years and has done close to 100 weddings. I am waiting on an email back about her site to see more of her work as her site was not working when I went to it today.

Nothing has been paid for yet, but with the fiancee being in the photography business, he will have more of the final say so once the time comes to commit to one person.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

...wait. She's selling her copyright for $1,000?

Either she sucks or she's an idiot.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

disheveled posted:

Most photographers will give you printing rights, that is pretty par for the course but yes she is willing to give the rights to the in edited images as well.

SuzieMcAwesome fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 21, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

disheveled posted:

White House Custom Color and ProDPI. Best two by far for quality for a good price. I've used them both for my photography for 8 years. I used them for my save the date cards and invites too.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

disheveled posted:

No, not really. Wedding photos have very limited mileage. The newer breed of wedding photographers are giving the rights to the client. You can still make a great living shooting $1,000 weddings and $250 engagement packages.

The old model was for a photographer to make their money selling prints. With digital files and cheap professional prints the photographers are transitioning to more of a service business model. And I think it works much better for everyone.

I hire photographers often and the number that demand reserved rights is shrinking.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The person we settled on was 250 an hour, included copywrite, and gave us a discount to let them use it on their website/promotions. Its hundreds of photos in color, a really basic bw and selected artistic styles which I appreciated.

We really wanted the digitals, because we both went through Katrina and cannot be more aware that you should never own anything you can't back up or insure, basically, unless you're fine with losing it forever.

Probably not the highest quality person, and their party shots didn't look amazing, but their posed photos were great and they've worked our venue before so they should be comfortable with the flow of the event.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

JohnnyRnR posted:

No, not really. Wedding photos have very limited mileage. The newer breed of wedding photographers are giving the rights to the client. You can still make a great living shooting $1,000 weddings and $250 engagement packages.

The old model was for a photographer to make their money selling prints. With digital files and cheap professional prints the photographers are transitioning to more of a service business model. And I think it works much better for everyone.

I hire photographers often and the number that demand reserved rights is shrinking.

Personal printing rights are absolutely normal, and I think you should demand them... but I was talking about transferring copyright, derivative works, commercial use, the works. I'm gonna drop this though; this post made me remember that copyright law is too complicated to talk about with people who don't already know copyright law :v:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
We looked at probably a dozen photographers that ranged in price from $700 up to around $1600 on the high end. We ended up booking an experienced photographer and the price for ceremony and reception coverage with a disc of all high resolution prints and printing rights was $900. I couldn't imagine spending $3500 on a photographer, but I'm also getting married in the sticks so I can assume cost of living factors heavily into it. I do remember being pretty blown away at the cost of some photographers and other wedding services when I started planning though. Luckily, we're finding things within our relatively small budget. We're hoping to pull off our 220+ wedding on a budget of about $16,000.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 21, 2014

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Would you mind either PMing me her info or posting it up? We are still looking for a photographer for our wedding.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

disheveled posted:

I'm gonna drop this though; this post made me remember that copyright law is too complicated to talk about with people who don't already know copyright law :v:

You're patronizing, but that's ok. It's very common to see full rights offered these days and it doesn't mean that a photographer is bad or stupid. The business model is changing because customers hate paying usage. Photographers that realize this already have more work than they can handle.

It's happening at all levels of the industry from $1,000 weddings to $20,000 single images.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
So weddings are expensive, stressful and very annoying in every way.

We have venue, photographer, videographer, DJ, Caterer, priest, Mandap (hindu), invitations sent.

The last thing we have is flowers/centerpieces which are exorbitantly expensive, like $1500 for some candles and small flower arrangements.

What is a typical flower expenditure, and what do you usually get for that? Keep in mind that we need to decorate 30 tables.

Alternatively, what are some cool non flower/non super expensive centerpiece ideas?

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

So weddings are expensive, stressful and very annoying in every way.

We have venue, photographer, videographer, DJ, Caterer, priest, Mandap (hindu), invitations sent.

The last thing we have is flowers/centerpieces which are exorbitantly expensive, like $1500 for some candles and small flower arrangements.

What is a typical flower expenditure, and what do you usually get for that? Keep in mind that we need to decorate 30 tables.

Alternatively, what are some cool non flower/non super expensive centerpiece ideas?

What is your wedding "theme", color scheme, or whatever? Also when is it? These all play a big factor in the type of decorations that are available or that will coordinate.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Reduce the number of flowers in your centerpieces, it will save you a poo poo ton of money. We're doing the trendy submerged flowers in cylinder vases thing for our centerpieces, since we have 10 tables with 6 flowers per table that means we only have to buy 60 flowers total, vs dozens of flowers per table. At a buck or two per stem, that adds up fast. If you make it simple enough, you can do them yourself and save yourself paying for labor and you can buy the flowers and vases wholesale to avoid those markups too.

Our centerpieces are pretty much like this:

Easy to put together and still look nice.

Cost for doing all the centerpieces myself: less than $1000, going to get a couple hundred back re-selling the wholesale vases I bought
What the florist wanted to charge me: $3000+

I've also seen some cool looking centerpieces using manzanita branches, I almost used them myself but could never get them to blend nicely with the rest of our decorations so I went with the vases instead. They even sell centerpiece kits for like $50/table on that site which is pretty reasonable.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

JohnnyRnR posted:

You're patronizing, but that's ok. It's very common to see full rights offered these days and it doesn't mean that a photographer is bad or stupid. The business model is changing because customers hate paying usage. Photographers that realize this already have more work than they can handle.

It's happening at all levels of the industry from $1,000 weddings to $20,000 single images.

Any photographer who gives away commercial use for free is literally throwing away money, so at the very least, yeah, they're stupid. 99.9% of couples don't give a poo poo if they have that, and 90%+ don't give a poo poo if they end up on your blog, so you can work something out with the ones who do.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

What is your wedding "theme", color scheme, or whatever? Also when is it? These all play a big factor in the type of decorations that are available or that will coordinate.

The color scheme is white and gold for the most part because people's clothes will be so colorful, and it takes place on March 15.

Also, did anyone face hurt feelings about people not being included in the wedding party? I had to limit it to 7 people, but that caused some hurt feelings among some close friends that we couldn't fit in. Are there other roles that you can fit people in?

What kind of flowers do you put in the submerged vases?

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 23, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My god yes, definitely had hurt feelings. It sucks. We had space, so added the person who was feeling hurt (and a matching person on the other side) but that's obviously not a solution if it's lots o friends.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

The color scheme is white and gold for the most part because people's clothes will be so colorful, and it takes place on March 15.

Also, did anyone face hurt feelings about people not being included in the wedding party? I had to limit it to 7 people, but that caused some hurt feelings among some close friends that we couldn't fit in. Are there other roles that you can fit people in?

What kind of flowers do you put in the submerged vases?

You could try including them in other ways to make them feel needed, like ask their opinion on things that you need to make a decision over. Depending on the person this could either help smooth things over or make it worse though. To me, if it makes it worse, they're a lovely friend to begin with and probably shouldn't have been in the wedding party anyway. Seven is already way too big for me. We had four on each side and that felt like the perfect number to me. I can't imagine having 17 people standing up front.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Looks like finding a marriage commissioner is more difficult than I thought. I've contacted several people already and the only one who is available, is only available after 4:30, and I was wanting my ceremony to be around 2 or 2:30.

Speaking of the wedding party, I'm having trouble coming up with people to be in it. My one friend is going to be a bridesmaid and my photographer. More of the latter and less of the former, I suppose. I guess I could ask my half-sister to be a bridesmaid now that we're finally Facebook friends.

Maid of honor? Someone who is supposed to care of the bride? I don't really have many friends. The one close friend that I do have doesn't do photos and I'd hate to ask her to be in photographs just to attend my wedding.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

rockcity posted:

You could try including them in other ways to make them feel needed, like ask their opinion on things that you need to make a decision over. Depending on the person this could either help smooth things over or make it worse though. To me, if it makes it worse, they're a lovely friend to begin with and probably shouldn't have been in the wedding party anyway. Seven is already way too big for me. We had four on each side and that felt like the perfect number to me. I can't imagine having 17 people standing up front.

No one stands up front in a Hindu ceremony!

It's more just cause we wanted to.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Nessa posted:

Maid of honor? Someone who is supposed to care of the bride? I don't really have many friends. The one close friend that I do have doesn't do photos and I'd hate to ask her to be in photographs just to attend my wedding.

I know I'm supposed to ask my younger sister but honestly she's kind of full of dumb drama (Facebook is never ending Marilyn Monroe quotes and whining about men, she's 23 going on 17) and will likely need to be managed herself just to make sure she shows up in clothing appropriate for a religious Jewish wedding and not a club. (My family is Catholic but I converted.)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

No one stands up front in a Hindu ceremony!

It's more just cause we wanted to.

Ahh yeah, those are a different animal entirely, I went to one about six years ago. Tons of fun though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We're less than 48 hours out and everything has gone way too smoothly. Flights were on time despite the snow, everything arrived as it should, all vendors are on track, got our marriage license painlessly (and found out we can walk the license to the courthouse ourselves for same day copies). We're actually ahead of schedule with setup and such.

Only thing that's gone awry so far is the flowers I ordered online being slightly wrong (sent two boxes of the same color instead of two different colors).

Something is going to go horribly, awfully wrong within the next 48 hours isn't it.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Congrats! I think being cool with the wrong flowers exempts you from further trials. Seriously though, the biggest thing I've noticed from working weddings and events in general is that nothing goes perfectly, and expecting it to is what ruins the day for most couples, not whatever minor thing went wrong.

Here's a question for the jewelry experts: We both really like the look of 2-tone rings, and the idea of having a matching his-and-hers set. I like the idea of a ring we can wear forever and have resized as needed, and I have a metal allergy that makes white gold a gamble, so we're looking for platinum rings with a stripe of yellow gold polished flush with the ring, but that's surprisingly hard to find, especially in the daintier 2-3mm width. (There are lots of 6mm titanium rings that have that look). Is there some reason for this, like the two metals are such different consistencies that they can't go together, or the style is so trashy it would ruin the look of gold and platinum? Will it still be possible to have a 2 tone ring resized further down the line? I just want to know before I ask a jeweler to make a custom ring only to be met with "that can't be done because duh, idiots..."

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Get a lawyer to help. Obviously I don't know you or your fiancé, but the part about "when he's not himself" would be cause for us to halt to all proceedings and have a sit-down about why he's so insistent on that bit because that's really strange. Does he have reason to think he will suddenly experience a major personality shift? If so, you, as his future wife, should definitely be aware of it before you marry him.

I think it's more like "there is no way that I, the person I am now, would ever divorce you, the love of my life, so if we get divorced, something has gone terribly wrong and I am no longer myself and must have gone crazy, and certainly can't be relied upon to be fair or rational in such a state, and might even drag out a divorce costing us both money and heartache, so lets get our legal bases covered just in case, and protect us both from that unlikely-to-ever-exist future version of myself that I hope to never become." That's why I would want a prenup anyway, there's no way I'm ever getting divorced, so if I do there has been some fundamental shift in my personality, and I don't want someone who would end the best relationship ever making legal decisions for either of us.

Edit: I come from a family of doomsday preppers who got bug-out bags for Christmas from my mom, so I'm a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" kind of person in all aspects of life. No need to fear the worst if you are prepared for it.

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 25, 2014

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Something is going to go horribly, awfully wrong within the next 48 hours isn't it.

I think the flower mess-up might just be your disaster. My cousin had something similar happen, but it wasn't a huge deal because the flowers still "worked". (The florist dropped off the wrong bouquet for the bride and then she claimed she didn't have time to drive back to the abbey in the middle of nowhere where the wedding was.)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

What's the general price range for a marriage commissioner? I managed to contact one lady who is available for the date, but only in the evening, and her rate is $350, while my friend recommended this other guy (saying that he sometimes doesn't charge for his services) and he's available for the afternoon, but his rate is $500. I don't know if that's too high or not.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Nessa posted:

What's the general price range for a marriage commissioner? I managed to contact one lady who is available for the date, but only in the evening, and her rate is $350, while my friend recommended this other guy (saying that he sometimes doesn't charge for his services) and he's available for the afternoon, but his rate is $500. I don't know if that's too high or not.

We had a friend do the ceremony, so we didn't pay directly. However, we did research, and the going rate seems to be between $200-500. On the upper range of that though, they should be doing a hell of a ceremony, and maybe even bringing their own audio equipment and whatnot.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Well, we did it.

And nothing. Went. Wrong. I can't believe how smoothly it went.

I'll write up a full trip report later once we have some pictures back, which should be this week since our photographer is leaving the country Thursday and she said she'd try to get us at least a decent chunk of them processed before she left. She posted a handful on Facebook already and they look AMAZING.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

We had a friend do the ceremony, so we didn't pay directly. However, we did research, and the going rate seems to be between $200-500. On the upper range of that though, they should be doing a hell of a ceremony, and maybe even bringing their own audio equipment and whatnot.

Good to know.

It actually looks like that lady is more expensive, because the $350 doesn't include the fee for holding the date, the rehearsal fee, or the travel costs. Our venue is about an hour outside of the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Our priest was $200, not including the church use fee ($300-$500) and church wedding coordinator fee ($150).