Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, in the fifth episode Ollie pulled the whole "how can I be in two places at once" trick.

But that was before Arrow and Mr Lance got so chummy and started hanging out in brightly lit rooms to solve crimes together. I can totally see why everyone thinks he knows and I personally hope that's the case. But I think the show could go either way with it. (Hey, if all the many many many people working on The Dark Knight Rises thought Catwoman should be surprised by the reveal that Batman was Bruce Wayne...)

Its like Gordon and Perry White. They know they just see no point to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Super Roy irks me. I kind of wish they would have had the balls to kill him off when he got injected. 'cause right now we've seen 3/4 mirakuru (just say miracle!x100) patients respond incredibly well to the ULTRA DEADLY KILL SERUM.

2/3 of those people also wound up going psycho bonkers crazy, hence Ollie trying to keep tabs on Roy. Just because he hasn't gone :moreevil: yet doesn't mean he won't start looking down that path.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Spergatory posted:

2/3 of those people also wound up going psycho bonkers crazy, hence Ollie trying to keep tabs on Roy. Just because he hasn't gone :moreevil: yet doesn't mean he won't start looking down that path.

He won't go evil, he'll just go junkie. The serum's effect wore off when he got stabbed by those shards of glass, and he was back up to full strength when he saved Moira, probably because he got another dose of MIRAKURU on the side.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Krad posted:

He won't go evil, he'll just go junkie. The serum's effect wore off when he got stabbed by those shards of glass, and he was back up to full strength when he saved Moira, probably because he got another dose of MIRAKURU on the side.

I don't think the serum is designed to make you impervious, he just healed much faster than normal.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't think the serum is designed to make you impervious, he just healed much faster than normal.

Yes it is. Ollie couldn't stab Grundy with an arrow, plus, they made it really obvious by showing Roy putting some effort into lifting those boxes of wine and looking tired.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He broke the skin, because they had blood on the arrow that they used to figure out the ingredients. It doesn't give you Luke Cage skin, just strong skin.

Roy didn't get a full injection, so that's probably the reason he won't be as strong.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Krad posted:

Yes it is. Ollie couldn't stab Grundy with an arrow, plus, they made it really obvious by showing Roy putting some effort into lifting those boxes of wine and looking tired.

Pretty sure that was just meant to show that he can heal quickly, not that he got another injection. I mean, he barely even reacted despite the fact that he had a big-rear end piece of glass stuck in his arm (which he also just kind of removed like it was no big deal). And it's not like that stuff's available on the streets. If he went back/found Blood again to get another injection than I doubt Blood would've just let him walk out.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aphrodite posted:

He broke the skin, because they had blood on the arrow that they used to figure out the ingredients. It doesn't give you Luke Cage skin, just strong skin.

Roy didn't get a full injection, so that's probably the reason he won't be as strong.

I thought the skin was normal, but the muscle was as dense as concrete? That way they can handwave away giving Roy superficial cuts, but no actual harm will ever come of him.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

VDay posted:

Pretty sure that was just meant to show that he can heal quickly, not that he got another injection. I mean, he barely even reacted despite the fact that he had a big-rear end piece of glass stuck in his arm (which he also just kind of removed like it was no big deal). And it's not like that stuff's available on the streets. If he went back/found Blood again to get another injection than I doubt Blood would've just let him walk out.

Double agent. After all, the Arrow did shoot him in the leg and told him to get lost.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Krad posted:

But Roy seems actively freaked out over what happened to him. I doubt he'd want to re-dose, at least while he's confused over what the drug is doing to him. But I do anticipate an addiction plotline if he ever gets complacent with the effects of super-steroids.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I can see some kind of plotline coming up where Roy starts helping Ollie out but then loses his 'powers' and decides that he wants to go out and find more MIRRAKURU~~~ so he can keep being a superhero.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Xealot posted:

But Roy seems actively freaked out over what happened to him. I doubt he'd want to re-dose, at least while he's confused over what the drug is doing to him. But I do anticipate an addiction plotline if he ever gets complacent with the effects of super-steroids.

Yeah, they'll probably save it until he does some actual crime-fighting, makes more sense.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

VDay posted:

I can see some kind of plotline coming up where Roy starts helping Ollie out but then loses his 'powers' and decides that he wants to go out and find more MIRRAKURU~~~ so he can keep being a superhero.

Pretty much. Which is why I also anticipate the way he and Ollie's "Batman/Robin" relationship will work out is that Ollie ends up training him in archery, as a metaphor for discipline and self-improvement without drugs. To keep the needle out of his arm, and probably also to create a "Red Arrow" persona.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xealot posted:

Pretty much. Which is why I also anticipate the way he and Ollie's "Batman/Robin" relationship will work out is that Ollie ends up training him in archery, as a metaphor for discipline and self-improvement without drugs. To keep the needle out of his arm, and probably also to create a "Red Arrow" persona.

...I kind of want it to be Thea that pushes him to pick up a bow. Or at least he's practicing and she just fixes his stance, or tells him he's nocking the arrows wrong.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gaz-L posted:

...I kind of want it to be Thea that pushes him to pick up a bow. Or at least he's practicing and she just fixes his stance, or tells him he's nocking the arrows wrong.

Haha that would be such a cheesy setup to Roy asking how she knows so much about archery, so she can reply that she doesn't know how, it's just in her blood. [BARROWMAN]

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In season 1 there was a scene where it was revealed that Thea had won Archery contests, so clearly she had been practicing it as a sport during Highschool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

In season 1 there was a scene where it was revealed that Thea had won Archery contests, so clearly she had been practicing it as a sport during Highschool.

She shoots BARROWMAN from 100 yards away, Ollie stares open-mouthed...

"What? I had a life when you were marooned, you know."

Eddain
May 6, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Also that scene in season one where she tosses a brick at a dude and says something about having good aim.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've started catching up on this show now. I originally gave it a shot back when people started talking about it last year, but I didn't care for the first two episodes so I dropped it for other things. After it got into the TVIV top 10 this year (and was the only one I hadn't seen) I figured I'd better give it another shot and picked up from where I left off. Still in season 1 but it's definitely starting to impress me. I just got to the episode where there's a copycat in a hood who shot Adam Hunt and I was expecting everyone to assume it was the same vigilante, but instead Lance immediately is like "nah it doesn't match his MO, it's a copycat" which was a nice surprise. A lot of this show is surprising with how entertaining it is now. I look forward to getting to season two and seeing what rocketed it into so many people's favorites.

Anyway see you all in a couple weeks when I'm all caught up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yes, one of the show's greatest strength is that it resolves plotlines that would into really annoying story arcs in other shows rather fast.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

While this episode wasn't nearly as :allears: as previous episodes, it was good.
In particular that scene between Felicity and Ollie did make me go all doe eyed.
And I loved when Arrow and Detective Lance were talking on the roof top and the bomb went off in the background. That's the sort of comic type sequences that I want to see.
Also mega props to the stunt team, the motor bike chase sequence was kick rear end.

Little bits I spotted that no one has mentioned.

Officer Lance's badge number is DC 52.
The Hospital that Laurel was investigating is Saint Walker hospital. No doubt founded by DC's favourite Baseball looking alien and leader of the Blue Lantern Corp.
The website that Shrapnel posted at is called the Movement, just like the anti-authority comic that Gail Simone writes that no one reads.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren:

That Guy From Law And Order cast as Detective West in Flash spinoff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spergatory posted:

Jesse Martin is awesome. This news is too.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
One-half of the best detective pairing in L&O history.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I thought it was Earnie Hudson?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I thought it was Earnie Hudson?

He auditioned, didn't get the part. Jess Martin fits it better.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I didn't mind Jesse L Martin, but Jerry Orbach/Chris Noth was the best L&O pair.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I get why Flash is spinning off and I'm happy about it, but I'm hoping the whole Star Labs explosion/Flash Origin doesn't just get a couple of off-screen mentions and then never appear in Arrow again. I mean, I don't want the show to be just some jumble of superheroes all hanging out and being soap opera-y, but I'd like to see resolution to the initial arc at the very least. :)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Feenix posted:

So I get why Flash is spinning off and I'm happy about it, but I'm hoping the whole Star Labs explosion/Flash Origin doesn't just get a couple of off-screen mentions and then never appear in Arrow again. I mean, I don't want the show to be just some jumble of superheroes all hanging out and being soap opera-y, but I'd like to see resolution to the initial arc at the very least. :)

Got mentioned a bunch this past week.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know, what I'm saying is I hope we at least see The Flash wake up, find out he has powers, etc, on-screen. A little verbal exposition is going to feel like a really weak wrap up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Feenix posted:

I know, what I'm saying is I hope we at least see The Flash wake up, find out he has powers, etc, on-screen. A little verbal exposition is going to feel like a really weak wrap up.

I doubt you're going to see that on this show. Probably saving that for the pilot. There's always a chance though I suppose.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Spergatory posted:

This is going to be the weirdest production of RENT ever!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deadpool posted:

I doubt you're going to see that on this show. Probably saving that for the pilot. There's always a chance though I suppose.

Didn't they change their minds about having a backdoor Flash pilot as part of a small arc on Arrow and decide to give that show its own pilot instead? I would think that that pretty much means we don't see Barry on Arrow anymore, at least until the Flash show is well underway and they start having crossover episodes (which they drat well better :argh:).

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 22, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VDay posted:

Didn't they change their minds about having a backdoor Flash pilot as part of a small arc on Arrow and decide to give that show its own pilot instead? I would think that that pretty much means we don't see Barry on Arrow anymore, at least until the Flash show is well underway and they start having crossover episodes (which they drat well better :argh:).

Correct. They decided the Flash bits they shot were so strong that they would go right to standalone pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, originally episode 20 was going to be about Barry becoming the Flash. I don't think they've said how that change is going to effect the main plot of the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How fast is the episode turnaround? It seems like it's pretty fast, I remember them talking about shooting episode 14, I think, right before winter break.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, originally episode 20 was going to be about Barry becoming the Flash. I don't think they've said how that change is going to effect the main plot of the season.

I read that they're just pushing it off since Flash will debut alongside Arrow season 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

How fast is the episode turnaround? It seems like it's pretty fast, I remember them talking about shooting episode 14, I think, right before winter break.

Stephen updates his Facebook page fairly regularly and has been talking about how they've just finished shooting a difficult episode but he doesn't say what episode number it would be. It did require a giant physical set of the Amazo though.

Edit: If you're on Facebook you should really follow Stephen Amell. He posts a lot of candid and behind the scenes stuff and just a lot of goofy things in general. He's mentioned before that he personally runs the account and this isn't something he just fobs off onto an assistant.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 22, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Here's the thing - I'm 80% certain that Barry Allen won't come out of that coma until his pilot.

On the other, Arrow's entire joy is placing revelations a good 5-10 episodes before anyone expects them to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So that was a disappointing episode. The villain was lame and underdeveloped, the conflict between the main characters trite and kind of stupid (you care too much about a guy on the verge of dying!), there really wasn't much there to enjoy. Here's hoping the next episode is better. Maybe it'd be better just to wait a few episodes and marathon?

• Locked thread