Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I'm a little tired of XIII now. It's gone so far off the reservation storywise that the sequels kind of make the original XIII look sane. That said, I liked the gameplay of XIII-3. Definitely not a day 1 purchase but something to consider down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Cloud seems to be if you preorder it at all. The CE gets it, Amazon gets it, Gamestop gets it. Beyond that, you get another specific costume (limited exclusivity though, SE will be happy to take our money for the costumes a month after release).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm a sucker for costume DLC and I like the XIII games way more than a person should but I really wish SE could refocus some of their costume making energy into making a game where different armor/robes would have different visual representations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jibo posted:

I'm a sucker for costume DLC and I like the XIII games way more than a person should but I really wish SE could refocus some of their costume making energy into making a game where different armor/robes would have different visual representations.

Er, what do you mean? The different armors in XIII-3 do appear on the "overworld" and obviously look different.

As my first entry in the XIII series, I couldn't care less about the story in Lightning Returns, but the gameplay seems like it could be fun. Supposedly the battles get pretty brutal, but I died in the demo after a nasty trick (I got sneak-attacked by the boss I JUST KILLED half a second after the battle ended, and didn't feel like using an item to restore health so he eventually killed me) and it seems like it just puts you back right where you died. So I guess you're supposed to go in and try a bunch of stuff against bosses, use Libra (which is free to use, I guess?) to see what the enemy is weak to, die, then customize your loadout to target weaknesses.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

Er, what do you mean? The different armors in XIII-3 do appear on the "overworld" and obviously look different.

Well that's what I mean but I haven't played the demo yet. Does that mean that all these extra costumes offer different stats?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Yes, costumes seem to have different stats, and inherent abilities (for example, the dragoon costume allows you to use "jump" or it seems like it should, I never figured which button to press for it, but it listed it as an ability).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Vashyron was an amazing character. "I think that qualifies as mad skills" and all his other quotes are burned into my mind. Just fantastic.

All the character interactions are just top notch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jibo posted:

Well that's what I mean but I haven't played the demo yet. Does that mean that all these extra costumes offer different stats?

It has a passive ability associated with it. All pieces of clothing seem to.

Systematic System posted:

Yes, costumes seem to have different stats, and inherent abilities (for example, the dragoon costume allows you to use "jump" or it seems like it should, I never figured which button to press for it, but it listed it as an ability).

Jump is actually tied to the Spear weapon and it only activates during a stagger.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ I don't think it depends on a stagger, but my memory might be failing me.

Jump seems to just be a followup on the dragoon's apparently spear's normal attack or a chain of lancets. I guess it's a damage/stagger modifier or something, but it would be nice if the game details about what it does.

I like the variety in abilities that the game seems like it will have, sort of like KH:BBS. Also the sunglasses are cool and mean you won't have to see her freaky eyes all the time. Lightning still has a weird as hell body, but at least not enough to be too distracting as long as you use the better outfits. The default camera angle for battles is kinda crappy, so it's a good idea to set it to the zoomed out one.

Edit: As much as I hate to admit it, Lumina actually seems like she might not be as absolutely terrible of a character as she looks. I am sure I will be proven wrong, but at least she's not living up to her appearance of Not-Serah (yes I know what she actually is from spoilers).

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 22, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So am I the only one who thinks 13-3 just plays like a really really slow DMC game where you're forced to take damage and heal occasionally? Because that demo was boring as poo poo.

I think I've hit my tolerance for the characters, too. I didn't think they could make something more brooding and sterile after 13-2.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Edit: ^^^ I appreciate the demo not overloading you with tutorials, but I'd like to know more about how the block/damage works in the game. I managed to "Evade" several times and didn't take damage, so I think it works like "perfect guards" in action games, with requiring more exact timing. But it was hard to gauge sometimes since it seemed to pull the camera away for "cinematic" enemy attacks, but you could still be attacking, and it just threw things off and made timing blocks more confusing.
Anyway, it's still a JRPG, even if on the actiony side. Saying it doesn't do action as well as DMC isn't really a surprise, there.

The description for the "Jump" ability on the spear says something like "Jumps as the last hit of [some sort of strong physical attack I forget the name of. It's mapped to "O" on PS3 by default]". However, she seemed to jump during Lancet chains too, so I dunno. Her attack animations change when you string together attacks, so it may just be that if you combo together several physical attacks with the Spear, you end up jumping for extra damage.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

So am I the only one who thinks 13-3 just plays like a really really slow DMC game where you're forced to take damage and heal occasionally? Because that demo was boring as poo poo.

I think I've hit my tolerance for the characters, too. I didn't think they could make something more brooding and sterile after 13-2.

It plays absolutely nothing like DMC so yeah, that would be you. I mean it has absolutely nothing in common mechanically, design-wise, basically anything beyond "you hit things with a sword." It honestly has more in common with something like Valkyrie Profile than it does DMC.

Schwartzcough posted:

The description for the "Jump" ability on the spear says something like "Jumps as the last hit of [some sort of strong physical attack I forget the name of. It's mapped to "O" on PS3 by default]". However, she seemed to jump during Lancet chains too, so I dunno. Her attack animations change when you string together attacks, so it may just be that if you combo together several physical attacks with the Spear, you end up jumping for extra damage.

It's beatdown, (I think that was it.) The default attack on the Dragoon class.

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit: ^^^ I appreciate the demo not overloading you with tutorials, but I'd like to know more about how the block/damage works in the game. I managed to "Evade" several times and didn't take damage, so I think it works like "perfect guards" in action games, with requiring more exact timing. But it was hard to gauge sometimes since it seemed to pull the camera away for "cinematic" enemy attacks, but you could still be attacking, and it just threw things off and made timing blocks more confusing.

There are different kinds of blocks. The Thief class has an "Evade" which it says only works on certain moves so that may be tied to what happened there. I didn't notice a Perfect Guard mechanic but I might have not been timing it right. You do temporarily stagger the enemy (not Stagger) when you block though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 22, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It plays absolutely nothing like DMC so yeah, that would be you. I mean it has absolutely nothing in common mechanically, design-wise, basically anything beyond "you hit things with a sword." It honestly has more in common with something like Valkyrie Profile than it does DMC.

Okay, then it's a really boring and vapid Valkyrie Profile that I can see getting tired of real fast because it ran out of steam with the variety it had in less than 20 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is it seems like it could stand to be a lot faster.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are different kinds of blocks. The Thief class has an "Evade" which it says only works on certain moves so that may be tied to what happened there. I didn't notice a Perfect Guard mechanic but I might have not been timing it right. You do temporarily stagger the enemy (not Stagger) when you block though.

Nah, I never ended up using the Thief class in the demo, so it must've been on the default builds for Dragoon/Red Mage/Black Mage. And I blocked the boss' attacks several times, but I don't think it staggered it at all, so maybe that only applies to blocking physical attacks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Okay, then it's a really boring and vapid Valkyrie Profile that I can see getting tired of real fast because it ran out of steam with the variety it had in less than 20 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is it seems like it could stand to be a lot faster.

I really don't know how you make it faster. You are literally attacking nonstop in the demo. Like the entire combat system is built around chaining moves together while never stopping.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 22, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't know how you make ti faster. You are literally attacking nonstop in the demo.

Maybe it's just because I spammed the big moves (and that that worked) because it felt like the UI was yelling at me half the time to switch classes. Kind of wish there was a way to have more than one class equipped to a slot but still have them share ATB so you're still swapping between 3?

I dunno, I'm not explaining my frustrations right, I'm just fatigued with those whole sub-series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Maybe it's just because I spammed the big moves (and that that worked) because it felt like the UI was yelling at me half the time to switch classes. Kind of wish there was a way to have more than one class equipped to a slot but still have them share ATB so you're still swapping between 3?

I dunno, I'm not explaining my frustrations right, I'm just fatigued with those whole sub-series.

Yeah, you don't just want to spam the big moves. That kills the mooks pretty quick but the boss fight is best five-starred by mixing your weaker moves and your bigger moves to keep constantly aggressive. If you just spam the big moves you'll have a lot of downtime which makes the stagger bar drop quickly.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If you activate guard right as the attack hits you (regular guard at least), you'll stagger the enemy back for a moment, but if you active it too early, or just hold down the button you just take reduced damage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the demo any different from the Japanese version? Because I really liked it from what I played of the JP demo and I'm gonna play it just to get the two costumes, but does it go beyond the dragon boss and have the extra three classes or no?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Is the demo any different from the Japanese version? Because I really liked it from what I played of the JP demo and I'm gonna play it just to get the two costumes, but does it go beyond the dragon boss and have the extra three classes or no?

It has three classes available from the start and then three additional classes after you finish the first room. It doesn't go beyond the first boss.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If I'm understanding the stagger system correctly, the type of skill you use to get it up doesn't matter outside of vulnerabilities, but the general idea is you want each of the three schema colors to be on high amplitude vibrations? That is to say, you can't just power your way to a stagger in one schema even assuming infinite ATB. Also has anyone been able to perfect guard the fireball from the boss? I can get the stomp occasionally but haven't timed the fireball right once. I'm guessing it's probably better to have an evade for that one than try to guard, since I'm betting the invincibility timer is longer for the evade than the perfect guard window.

I like that they give you coefficients on attacks and plenty of stat information in the schema menu, and every slot being able to have auto abilities could lead to some fun setups. I'm really looking forward to the customization in the game in more than just the pretty princess sense now that I know how much you get to do.

Some things I didn't like were the default camera angle which is awful, the "You're out of ATB, moron" buzzer could be a bit louder, and I don't see a good reason for why your default schema always starts with only half a bar instead of full. Swapping to a full bar has no cost and can be done immediately, so it seems kind of a pointless restriction.

Edit: Oh, and I uploaded the boss score but didn't get any kind of message about that costume. Was I supposed to?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

It has three classes available from the start and then three additional classes after you finish the first room. It doesn't go beyond the first boss.

Alright, sounds about right. Can't say I would've really expected much else, at least I'll be able to understand the tutorials now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

If I'm understanding the stagger system correctly, the type of skill you use to get it up doesn't matter outside of vulnerabilities, but the general idea is you want each of the three schema colors to be on high amplitude vibrations? That is to say, you can't just power your way to a stagger in one schema even assuming infinite ATB. Also has anyone been able to perfect guard the fireball from the boss? I can get the stomp occasionally but haven't timed the fireball right once. I'm guessing it's probably better to have an evade for that one than try to guard, since I'm betting the invincibility timer is longer for the evade than the perfect guard window.

No, you can do it with one Schema. It's just that different skills have different stagger abilities. (You can see it in the menu.) Rapid skills stagger crappily but seem to keep the meter up kind of like Commando, but the slower/high ATB skills can stagger effectively but drain you quicker. It's just basically about properly chaining skills together and it doesn't seem like (at least in the demo) any one schema can do a good stagger by themselves.

You can totally do it with two though. Chaining Blizaga -> Beatdown -> Jump is basically an assured Stagger, if a high ATB one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No, you can do it with one Schema. It's just that different skills have different stagger abilities. (You can see it in the menu.) Rapid skills stagger crappily but seem to keep the meter up kind of like Commando, but the slower/high ATB skills can stagger effectively but drain you quicker.

Hmm. I thought it was something like that initially, but then I saw the different colors on the gauge and thought it had to do with either element or schema and that my initial idea was wrong. I guess the colors must just be there so you can monitor progress in all of them at the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Hmm. I thought it was something like that initially, but then I saw the different colors on the gauge and thought it had to do with either element or schema and that my initial idea was wrong. I guess the colors must just be there so you can monitor progress in all of them at the same time.

That is what they are, yeah. The colors correspond to the ATB gauge of the various costumes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guys, you do not know how much I love the combat system in this game. I've been saying since FF13 that it feels like Square has been wanting to make an action-rpg game rather than a rpg and now I finally have it and it is so much fun. I also loved FFX-2 and V, so a job system being tied to outfits is again another aesthetic thing I like even if Lightning is a stick lady. And the final boss is not exactly space pope, but the creator of space pope so I am really happy this game exists even though Toriyama is a super perv who is in love with Madame Eclair.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 22, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I would guess that with the regular guard, you can only perfect guard physical attacks. Perhaps (probably) there are magical guards with other costumes to deal with that sort of attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would guess that with the regular guard, you can only perfect guard physical attacks. Perhaps (probably) there are magical guards with other costumes to deal with that sort of attack.

There is a Magiguard, I recall seeing it in a screenshot a while ago.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is what they are, yeah. The colors correspond to the ATB gauge of the various costumes.

Wait, why does the stagger gauge have multiple color frequencies corresponding to your schema if the staggering mechanic itself isn't actually tied to your schema? Maybe I'm being dense here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Wait, why does the stagger gauge have multiple color frequencies corresponding to your schema if the staggering mechanic itself isn't actually tied to your schema? Maybe I'm being dense here.

It doesn't. It's just blue -> yellow -> red levels of intensity. The closer it is to red the higher the stagger gauge is.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phantasium posted:

This was my exact reaction. To everything.

I liked 13. I liked 13-2. And if LR is anything like this demo, I'm not buying, which kind of makes me sad.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
The demo of 13-3 or LR or whatever is interesting. It has the potential to be a neat game but the demo is way too short to showcase it. I'm assuming later on you'll do some crazy job switching to avoid attacks and build chains, but all the demo had to offer was just the standard hit things and heal.

Though the same was said about XIII's combat (just mash X) which wasn't true so...

I dunno, I'm definitely on the fence. With X/X-2 HD coming a month later, I might just pass on this game until it drops in price.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright so I didn't realize Dragoon was the Stagger class. It seems like Red Mage didn't really have a ton it could do in the ways of options? I mean it didn't really have big attacks to stagger and its smaller attacks to stabilize the stagger bar weren't doing too great either. Mediguard is a pretty rad and useful ability though. Heartstealer also feels bizarre, but I was able to do more with it than Red Mage, but hey this is just a demo. About the only problem I'm having now is figuring out how my stagger bar is working. It seems like I have a difficult time managing it and I think that's mostly due to me not knowing when I should be attacking with smaller attacks and when I shouldn't, this is going to be a thing that requires a lot of experimentation.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Got killed by the dragon in the demo the first time around since I was being a dumbass, although I also blame the game for not telling me that you use items during battle from the pause menu. Gave it another try and was able to kill it without too much trouble, although with a lovely rank. I dunno why the stagger indicator needs to be so vague now instead of a clear indicator in the previous games though. At least it's nice that there's counter abilities that're actually useful, although I still don't care about the weird social nonsense they're desperately trying to shoehorn into every single one of their games nowadays. Not quite as much of a Valkyrie Profile ripoff I initially hoped it to be, although I suppose it seems tolerable enough so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

The demo of 13-3 or LR or whatever is interesting. It has the potential to be a neat game but the demo is way too short to showcase it. I'm assuming later on you'll do some crazy job switching to avoid attacks and build chains, but all the demo had to offer was just the standard hit things and heal.

Though the same was said about XIII's combat (just mash X) which wasn't true so...

I dunno, I'm definitely on the fence. With X/X-2 HD coming a month later, I might just pass on this game until it drops in price.

Well, there's always this video that showcases some skilled lategame gameplay, if you're on the fence.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Anyone know off-hand whether there are versions of FFXIII and FFXIII-2 with English text, but Japanese audio selectable? I sold my FFXIII back to the game store when it was new because the dub was ruining the entire experience for me beyond belief.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ilifinicus posted:

Anyone know off-hand whether there are versions of FFXIII and FFXIII-2 with English text, but Japanese audio selectable? I sold my FFXIII back to the game store when it was new because the dub was ruining the entire experience for me beyond belief.

The Japanese Dubbing doesn't save it at all.

Plus you don't even get Vanille's mystery accent.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

Nope. Lightning Returns is going to have Japanese voice acting as a (free IIRC) DLC but the other English versions are dub-only.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The dub DLC is timed free, but if you don't need to access it through the store in game, just download it through the PS store and get the credit for it applied to your account.

I've no idea how that's going to work though so it's something to look out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I guess there are versions with it subtitled in English and Chinese now, huh? Seems impossible to get though...