Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

What's the consensus on calculator alternatives? Are there any good ones out there? I would like a calculator including standard 'scientific' functions/operations (e.g. trig functions and so on) and also some computer science features (e.g. binary operations, base conversions, non-base10 algebra, et cetera). Also, an intuitive, expanded memory platform would be spectacular, it would be great to have more than one memory variable.

I'm a fan of handyCalc. Hasn't been updated in ages, but does pretty much all I would want from a pocket calculator (nice swipe-through history, quick basic plotting, solves equation sets, automatically does basic stats if you enter a set of numbers, integrated unit and currency conversion (including dec-hex etc). It's not really the comp-sci tool you are looking for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone else have this problem where, it seems like every time I select the first song in an album (I like to listen to albums in order), Google Play Music decides to give me the middle finger and starts playing the very last song on the album, which often isn't even on screen to click on?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Anyone else have this problem where, it seems like every time I select the first song in an album (I like to listen to albums in order), Google Play Music decides to give me the middle finger and starts playing the very last song on the album, which often isn't even on screen to click on?

I've had that happen. Not often, but a few times, yes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I know BEATS BY DRE is easy to make fun of, but they just launched their streaming music service today. I've been playing around with it for a few hours and....its loving great so far.

Has a 7 day free trial, so I thought why the gently caress not.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How do I close all tabs in chrome on my nexus 7?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

kri kri posted:

How do I close all tabs in chrome on my nexus 7?

Swipe down from the top bar of your tab and then tap on the three dots on the top right and choose "close all tabs"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bronin posted:

Swipe down from the top bar of your tab and then tap on the three dots on the top right and choose "close all tabs"

That doesn't work on the Nexus 7. You have to close each tab individually.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bronin posted:

I'm fairly sure that's a phone only option. I'm not seeing it my N7.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm fairly sure that's a phone only option. I'm not seeing it my N7.
The phone tab interface is so much better than the tablet one. I end up hitting the "new tab" button when I mean to close a tab and it's irritating. The tablet interface doesn't add anything at all and the desktop-like tabs look out of place.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Jesus, that's pretty stupid... Good to know, I ordered a Nexus 7 yesterday.

bronin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 21, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is Greenify any good or does it basically just break sync and be more fuss than it's worth?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Is Greenify any good or does it basically just break sync and be more fuss than it's worth?
The latter.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Greenify is great if you have the donate version with experimental features and use it on stuff like FB and Twitter. You'll still get notifications most of the times even when it's hibernated.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Do you guys have a good poker app recommendation?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
What kinda names android anyway? :downs:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is the Find Phone feature in Airdroid worth turning on, or is it a battery wrecker?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Is the Find Phone feature in Airdroid worth turning on, or is it a battery wrecker?

Why wouldn't you just use the built-in Google Android Device Manager?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

MikeJF posted:

Why wouldn't you just use the built-in Google Android Device Manager?

Because I had no idea that existed? Does that require location services to be on?

It's not that I went to Airdroid looking for this feature, it's that Airdroid told me about it when I updated, and I wondered if it was garbage or not.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I have it turned on in both my Nexus 7 and Motorola Razr M. Have not noticed any difference in battery life. I'd say just flip it on.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

chiz posted:

Do you guys have a good poker app recommendation?

If you want to play for money PKR has an android app. It's not in the play store and may not be legal in your state/country/province.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My friend and I made this little app to poke fun at horoscopes. What it does is it generates predictions for every minute from chunks of stereotypical astrological babble and pearls of wisdom and gives you semi-intelligible advices, random lucky numbers, tarot cards and made-up quotes by famous people. So far, nearly two thousand people believe it's a genuine horoscope app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volchok.minutehoroscope
The plan is to get it to 10,000 downloads and release a version that would say that all horoscopes are nonsense and explain how the app really works. If you have friends who are into that kind of stuff and you want to have some laugh at them while feeling superior for no reason, make sure to recommend it to them. And remember those words of Buddha: 'When the deed is done, the happiness is one step ahead'.

Supposedly, the app also works in Russian, if that's your system language.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

JakeP posted:

What kinda names android anyway? :downs:

Around these parts, we call them "droids" for short.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paladinus posted:

The plan is to get it to 10,000 downloads and release a version that would say that all horoscopes are nonsense and explain how the app really works. If you have friends who are into that kind of stuff and you want to have some laugh at them while feeling superior for no reason, make sure to recommend it to them. And remember those words of Buddha: 'When the deed is done, the happiness is one step ahead'.
That seems so arbitrarily mean. I'd have to consult Doctor rear end in a top hat as he is obviously the senior physician on this point but really if people are enjoying it for whatever reason why not let them have their fun? :shrug:

It just screams Fedora Atheist to me; it's not like some app is going to affect their views and they aren't hurting anyone.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LastInLine posted:

That seems so arbitrarily mean. I'd have to consult Doctor rear end in a top hat as he is obviously the senior physician on this point but really if people are enjoying it for whatever reason why not let them have their fun? :shrug:

It just screams Fedora Atheist to me; it's not like some app is going to affect their views and they aren't hurting anyone.

Don't read too much into it. It's just a bit of fun and more about horoscope apps and shoddy writing omnipresent in them than about people who use them. Note how I specifically said 'superior for no reason'. I don't think people who use magic 8 balls do this because they believe them to be literally magical. And if there are adult people who use magic balls and horoscopes to decide on some serious real life issues, I feel like it can cause some harm, but it's irrelevant to what this app is about. It's still fun to use it even when you know the secret and if horoscopes of all things should be immune to satire, satire shouldn't exist at all because there's hardly a less significant and sensitive subject than horoscope apps.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Paladinus posted:

My friend and I made this little app to poke fun at horoscopes. What it does is it generates predictions for every minute from chunks of stereotypical astrological babble and pearls of wisdom and gives you semi-intelligible advices, random lucky numbers, tarot cards and made-up quotes by famous people. So far, nearly two thousand people believe it's a genuine horoscope app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volchok.minutehoroscope

Supposedly, the app also works in Russian, if that's your system language.

Yeah, it's a little mean, but I can't help but find this funny.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Don't read too much into it. It's just a bit of fun and more about horoscope apps and shoddy writing omnipresent in them than about people who use them. Note how I specifically said 'superior for no reason'. I don't think people who use magic 8 balls do this because they believe them to be literally magical. And if there are adult people who use magic balls and horoscopes to decide on some serious real life issues, I feel like it can cause some harm, but it's irrelevant to what this app is about. It's still fun to use it even when you know the secret and if horoscopes of all things should be immune to satire, satire shouldn't exist at all because there's hardly a less significant and sensitive subject than horoscope apps.
You actually touched on what I was thinking but didn't bring up: The app itself is already a hilarious satire of the whole horoscope thing. No one is seriously going to buy that there's a special color or number that changes minute by minute but the language and presentation of the app is pitch-perfect. Seems like you call far too much attention to the absurdity for the sake of a one-time joke that is honestly fresh and unique every time it's opened.

While I do get the feeling the app's reviewers are completely missing the satire, to me that makes it funnier. If everyone "got" Dr. Strangelove, it wouldn't be the best satire ever. While this app isn't Dr. Strangelove, it's a far better joke app than any I've ever seen.

I'd just add the bit on how it works in the Settings and let those who wish to know discover it just because to explain the joke ruins it on one level but those who are in on the joke would surely appreciate the crafting of it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, this is something I'd love to see go on, rather than blowing your wad at 10k downloads.

The idea of an easter-egg ala Android version tapping has merit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LastInLine posted:

You actually touched on what I was thinking but didn't bring up: The app itself is already a hilarious satire of the whole horoscope thing. No one is seriously going to buy that there's a special color or number that changes minute by minute but the language and presentation of the app is pitch-perfect. Seems like you call far too much attention to the absurdity for the sake of a one-time joke that is honestly fresh and unique every time it's opened.

While I do get the feeling the app's reviewers are completely missing the satire, to me that makes it funnier. If everyone "got" Dr. Strangelove, it wouldn't be the best satire ever. While this app isn't Dr. Strangelove, it's a far better joke app than any I've ever seen.

I'd just add the bit on how it works in the Settings and let those who wish to know discover it just because to explain the joke ruins it on one level but those who are in on the joke would surely appreciate the crafting of it.

Good point. It's just it also feels a bit wrong to lie to people who simply don't know better. Maybe we'll just add an honest description to About, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paladinus posted:

It's just it also feels a bit wrong to lie to people who simply don't know better.
You actually already addressed this too. If they don't know any better you aren't going to help them, they'll either figure it out on their own or they won't. At best you just ruin someone's day who actually believes in this stuff and you've got to figure if they actually believe in it, they probably have a lot of ruined days without your efforts.

The best part about believing in Santa is that you literally get gifts made by elves delivered by a magical man who lives with his wife on the north pole while all your friends are getting poo poo from their parents. Sounds like the Santa-havers are the winners in this equation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am a religious person (and don't own a fedora, by the way :colbert:), so I understand what you're getting at. But with Santa there's always the moment when you have to realise that Santa isn't real, even though the spirit of holidays and other things he may stand for are. Horoscopes on the other hand do not stand for anything except, maybe, the idea of determination, which frankly doesn't sit too well with me philosophically. Yeah, I don't think this type of discussion really belongs to the thread...
Feel free to use the app to whatever ends you want. And if you have any ideas for new features or see any bugs or something, let me know.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Paladinus posted:

It's just it also feels a bit wrong to lie to people who simply don't know better. Maybe we'll just add an honest description to About, though.
See, if the lying bothers you, you just offered yourself a fine solution.

The whole "gotcha, you're an idiot" is pretty eyerollingly pointless, I think.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Paladinus posted:

The people who believe won't care and will decide that since your app generated something that seemed right to them that it did actually work on some cosmic level. And/or they won't even believe you that it's fake.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I am a religious person (and don't own a fedora, by the way :colbert:), so I understand what you're getting at. But with Santa there's always the moment when you have to realise that Santa isn't real, even though the spirit of holidays and other things he may stand for are. Horoscopes on the other hand do not stand for anything except, maybe, the idea of determination, which frankly doesn't sit too well with me philosophically. Yeah, I don't think this type of discussion really belongs to the thread...
Feel free to use the app to whatever ends you want. And if you have any ideas for new features or see any bugs or something, let me know.
Looking at the preview pics I was wondering why there was an SMS and a Share button so I installed it. I have a Share with no dropdown arrow and a copy button. Copy already is available with a long press and in the Share menu (if you have Drive installed), so it seems redundant and cuts off the too-long title.

That being said the app is actually really nice. I love the countdown timer and the use of the cheesy typeface is great, it really sells it so much better than a sans serif font would. I might consider putting in multiple colored backgrounds and swapping them to whatever one of the lucky colors are but I see it doesn't reload the background with each horoscope refresh so that might be too much work. If you don't think changing the background with the lucky color is worthwhile I'd suggest you drop the ICS-era blue stripe on the action bar and adopt the KitKat style that colors the status bar the same as the action bar and then match the action bar to the background.

Honestly it's just well done. The app title on download is in Cyrillic which might put off some users, it would for me if I didn't know it was coming from you and that the app requests no permissions (which to any discerning user would tip off that it's fake).

I really like the app a lot.

e: You know what else is a great touch? The fact that the app gives the horoscope for the next minute. That's just classic. Everything about this is well thought out and balanced. I wish useful apps showed this much care because every little thing seems so considered. It kind of reminds me of an Apple product in its simplicity and attention to detail. I think I'm going to keep it around.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 22, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Paladinus posted:

The subject is kind of unavoidable when you say your plan is to one day say "you're all dummies, lol owned" to your users. I'm not a :smug: fedora-haver either, and as much as it'd be great if a cell phone app update could get 10,000 people to stop believing in pseudoscience, um, well, good luck with that poo poo.

There are other ways you could have fun with it, though. You could tweak the fortune generation to be more and more outlandish and nonsensical as time goes on. Or you could start charging money for add-on features and donate the money to math and science education.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
I like the fake horoscope app, and my 2 cents is that you shouldn't waste your goodwill for a joke that wrecks your existing install base.

Unrelated question: I recently used amazon credit to buy Plague, Inc and I can't move it to the SD card, even with titanium backup's functionality. Anybody have any experience with apps that can not be move like this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cruseydr posted:

Unrelated question: I recently used amazon credit to buy Plague, Inc and I can't move it to the SD card, even with titanium backup's functionality. Anybody have any experience with apps that can not be move like this?
It's 34MB, don't worry about it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The subject is kind of unavoidable when you say your plan is to one day say "you're all dummies, lol owned" to your users. I'm not a :smug: fedora-haver either, and as much as it'd be great if a cell phone app update could get 10,000 people to stop believing in pseudoscience, um, well, good luck with that poo poo.

There are other ways you could have fun with it, though. You could tweak the fortune generation to be more and more outlandish and nonsensical as time goes on. Or you could start charging money for add-on features and donate the money to math and science education.

Personally I think if you're going to screw with people using it then you should just make the horoscopes slowly more bleak and desperate over the course of a few weeks.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's not the fedora on your head, it's the fedora in your heart.

and I'm looking for a fake money poker game...I ask because comments on the ones I checked out said they were unbalanced.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's 34MB, don't worry about it.
I wouldn't, except that my phone is an EVO 3D with 1gb internal storage and it complains about low storage with only 100 mb free (and stuff stops working right). With less than 180mb free, larger apps like Chrome and Swiftkey will not update properly. Also, it takes up 76.16MB including data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure how everyone feels about online courses, but University of Maryland is doing a coursera course for free (free to audit, $45 for a verified continuing education certificate) on Android App development. It starts you off installing Eclipse, then creating a to-do list app, then writing the back end SQL server/auth and connecting the android app to it. Pretty basic but as far as crash courses go it seems pretty solid.

https://www.coursera.org/course/android

The course technically started yesterday but I think you can enroll at least up until the first homework assignment is due. They already have an unofficial IRC channel going and some of the people from XDA are auditing it.

• Locked thread