Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'll state again that Nina's Adventures are really good, and anyone with doubts about the humourousness of its tone seems to me to be so tone-deaf that I question their basic literacy. Also Momma owns.

I... don't think you should be calling anyone tone-deaf.

I totally get what the intended tone of Nina's Adventures is, but even the points she makes that I agree with are super grating in the context of the strip. Everyone that opposes her is just the most broad strawman possible and Nina is just so beset by the world and CAN'T YOU SEE HOW MUCH YOU'RE BEING MANIPULATED BY CHRISTMAS AND THE LIVES OF CELEBRITIES?? SOMEBODY LISTEN TO ME!!

The fact that she seems to pal around with Ted Rall isn't surprising to me- I get the same urge to roll my eyes when reading both of their work. At least Nina can actually draw, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I... don't think you should be calling anyone tone-deaf.

I totally get what the intended tone of Nina's Adventures is, but even the points she makes that I agree with are super grating in the context of the strip. Everyone that opposes her is just the most broad strawman possible and Nina is just so beset by the world and CAN'T YOU SEE HOW MUCH YOU'RE BEING MANIPULATED BY CHRISTMAS AND THE LIVES OF CELEBRITIES?? SOMEBODY LISTEN TO ME!!

The fact that she seems to pal around with Ted Rall isn't surprising to me- I get the same urge to roll my eyes when reading both of their work. At least Nina can actually draw, though.

Every time I read Nina's Adventures I can't help but imagine that Nina in real life would be one of those people that's just completely insufferable to be around. At a party she'd but into stranger's conversations to tell a sob story about herself that tangently relates to the topic, then call the people having the conversation assholes for not preemptively taking her feelings into consideration. I actually agree with the base idea of a lot of her opinions, but she makes them in such overbearingly self-righteous and condescending way it just kills me.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Yes, that's what I've been thinking each time I see her non-cat cartoons.
But as grating as Paley's personality probably is, I enjoyed watching Sita Sings the Blues and for what it costs to see ($0) everyone should give it a chance.

Clockroach posted:

It was her husband, not a boyfriend, that's a little different. And from what I read on her site and wikipedia, her stance isn't "all copyright is bad", it's "we need a serious rehaul of copyright law." The music was technically public domain but record companies owned parts of it.

Sorry, I didn't know that. Now it makes more sense.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

On a randomly positive note-- I really like Tina's Groove. It often makes me smile and I never seem to see anything that irks me.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Sphinxster posted:

On a randomly positive note-- I really like Tina's Groove. It often makes me smile and I never seem to see anything that irks me.

Piccolo is generally a pretty good cartoonist.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Might as well run this Gilchrist poo poo into the ground.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (September 23-25, 1926)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If only there were a smiley with the old man from Dick Tracy shouting "IT HAPPENED."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Never knew elephants were that handy for breaking in.

Willie and his animal friends. :3:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Clockroach posted:

It was her husband, not a boyfriend, that's a little different.

How strange. I watched the movie too but I also assumed it was just a boyfriend and not her husband. I wonder why. Maybe it's because married couples don't generally live on opposite sides of the planet for extended stretches of time. Shut up Safe Havens.

Comics (December 1st 2006)

Was college actually like that for anyone? I seriously can't ever remember getting anything academically helpful from another student.

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

And that's why no one would actually want to live in the world of Mad Men. Well that and the rampant bigotry.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Don't get any ideas goons.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 22, 2014

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kammat posted:

If there's any problem that can't be solved with an elephant, I don't even want to hear about it. That is my life strategy from now on: everything gets elephanted. EVERYTHING.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

There might be something to that 'London After Midnight' connection after all.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

How nice of Brooke to give us a new Yancey reaction panel that works with all of his comics.

Pibgorn

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The page underneath the one Granny wrote on is still there. As granny wrote the recipe, she pressed hard enough to leave indentations on the next page. Slylock lightly shaed over the page with a pencil, and the recipe appeared.

Slylock Fox

Because he's wearing a drat suit and I'm pretty sure bowling in a suit will just have everyone laughing at you.

Moose an Molly

I think this counts as some kind of voyeurism.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary catchup:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Interesting story? Ha.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Luckily you live in the internet age where guides to building just such makeshift haphazard death vehicles proliferate.

Retail

Funny how Stuart is the only person keeping Marla's rampant cronyism in check.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

"Because you're made of hard shiny plastic. Dogs aren't made of hard shiny plastic."

Dustin

In fact, if you're traveling the world for it and after accounting for shipping times it's not really fresh.

On the Fastrack

Because it's the net, you see.

Safe Havens

"Now how can I use this unfortunate situation to my advantage..."

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

"Now how can I use this unfortunate situation to my advantage..."

Wouldn't somebody like her have a screen protector? It's crazy, but I think Holbrook may not have thought this comic all the way through.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

In fact, if you're traveling the world for it and after accounting for shipping times it's not really fresh.

One of the things that I don't like about this strip is that it uses every character to make :smug: observations. These kinds of reactions are fine for Ed (well not really, but if it's really necessary). I feel it's out of place for Dustin to make statements like this.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Classic Nancy! Now with more racism!

I like to think Sluggo has the same voice as Meowth from the Shmorky cartoons.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Andorra posted:

One of the things that I don't like about this strip is that it uses every character to make :smug: observations. These kinds of reactions are fine for Ed (well not really, but if it's really necessary). I feel it's out of place for Dustin to make statements like this.

making GBS threads on things is the only way he can gain his father's approval.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Andorra posted:

That's the real tragedy of this strip. Dustin is doomed to become Ed.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dustin wears shorts and penny loafers so he's already a lost cause.

Take that preppies!

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (January 31, 1995)

If Stephanie McMillan knew how to draw, her cartoons would look like this.

Someone go back and count how many dumb strawmen are in Nina Paley's comics. (Don't actually do this)

I'll admit that I can kind of see her point here, but my complaint stands.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Silly Voodoo posted:

Someone go back and count how many dumb strawmen are in Nina Paley's comics. (Don't actually do this)

How many comics are there? I figure that many plus give or take ~1/3 more because sometimes there are two.

And I can also kinda see where she's coming from sometimes, but she makes her points in such an infuriatingly smug and annoying way that it's hard to be sympathetic.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll say one good thing about Nina's Adventures, at least there hasn't been any homophobia yet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

If the Atom Bomb is only "puny" and "noisy" to you, I'm pretty sure you could take over the Earth with little effort.

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I go and say I haven't been enjoying F Minus lately, and then along comes one I like.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

Borden posted:

Classic Nancy! Now with more racism!

I like to think Sluggo has the same voice as Meowth from the Shmorky cartoons.

It's weird how, despite hating the racism, I can still like that comic more than modern Nancy.
The racism is a relic from a shittier time but for some reason that dumb 'my favorite cake is pie' thing was worse to me than a thousand tributes to dead country stars or cloying scenes played out at the faith mission.

Nancy

I want Nancy to go back to being a gag strip, but not like this.. not like this..

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh now I'm reminded of that one issue of Swamp Thing with the crocodile aliens
The Pogo issue?

http://swords-and-veeblefetzers.blogspot.com/2010/01/alan-moores-pastiche-to-walt-kellys.html

Even if that isn't the issue you're thinking of, it's appropriate reading material for this thread.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Welcome to the city, cousin Urpo! How are you?
- That grandma's chest of drawers, and the kitchen chairs

Mitä (sinulle) kuuluu? is a greeting that translates well into "how are you" and similar phrases, but literally it's more like "What is yours?" or "What belongs to you?"

Incidentally, the usual tired joke response to this phrase is "Anything spoken loud enough", because the question could also be interpreted as "What can you hear?" or "What reaches your ears?"

Finns aren't traditionally much for chit-chat, so while the correct stock answer is "Good, how are you?" don't be surprised if the person you asked actually answers honestly and starts telling you about how they've been lately. And then they don't ask back how you are out of respect for your privacy and because they're not particularly interested in knowing the details anyway. :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

I love that those circus performers can't help but pose, even though there's nobody else around to watch them launch Modesty.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Where are their lap belts?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like colourist gently caress-up. Same way that the dad's disappears after it meets the steering wheel.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Boyce is still on his roll. Not funny, but at least comprehensible.

Just like we've been saying regarding F Minus, to me, this Bizarro was pretty good, when usually they're just kind of, "eh, ok".

I've always loved Red Meat. I lost it at "elective" frontal lobotomy... :v:

goatface posted:

Looks like colourist gently caress-up. Same way that the dad's disappears after it meets the steering wheel.

Speaking of that...

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

You can clearly (:lol:) see Dustin's shirt through the glass, but the chick's midsection is invisible?

Jane continues to be a huge loving prude in today's Jane's World

Yeah, you little rebel you.. PANTS ON THE GROUND! :v:

Non Sequitur

I thought Joe's last line was pretty funny. Yep, Conspiracy Frog. :)

Dana caught up (minus the Sunday on the 19th for some reason), :siren: wall of Heavenly Nostrils :siren: incoming!

Kliban

Nope, I don't know either. :psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/22/2003

Solange is scrutinizing her toes, right? :barf:

Zits

It is an "old people are technological retards" joke, you see.

Kevin & Kell

:barf:

Nemi

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
February 28 & March 1, 1918

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

It is an "old people are technological retards" joke, you see.

howsecureismypassword.net posted:

It would take a desktop PC about 6 sextillion quinquagintillion years to crack your password
The NSA's quantum computer, on the other hand

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hahaha, I love Classic Valiant. They need some weapons, so they just find the nearest knight and beat him up for his stuff. Suddenly, VIKINGS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aardmania posted:

Spider-Man (Dec. 18, 2008)

The hard way is to shoot them with a gun. The easy way was to tie Jameson to a giant clock, arrange for Maria to be underneath it at a precise moment, rig it to fall at that moment, and have his accomplice successfully flee the scene dressed as Spider-Man in order to frame him. Yep, that sounds right. :haw:

The Sphinxster posted:

It sometimes seems a bit sexist, but it's generally pretty good.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Haha, I love Guran here. "Uh, Phantom, did you forget the secret part of your secret lair in the deep woods where no one is allowed to go?"

Oh, it's this SMBC only not as good.

• Locked thread