Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

noodlesinabag posted:

Hey guy Hey guys HEY GUYS I MADE PIZZA.

Structural grade 3/8", washed with detergent, seasoned three times @500F with flaxseed oil.

Heated to 500F and left for about an hour (I got lazy), then set broiler on High for eh..... 15 mins?

Pizza cooked for approx 3 mins.

The only complaint about this is that it weighs GD 23.6lbs. My oven rack's already bowed permanently. Also, for a little asian girl, it's almost impossible to lift in and out of the oven. It took all my might to even get it seasoned properly.

Look how big the crust bubble is! It's so super yummy you guys. And super crispy! I squished it a little while cutting with a knife so you can't really see all the little bubbles. It tasted like air, a little - crunchy, crispy air.

The aftermath

I kind of got too excited and didn't realize I should take photos of the entire process - sorry you just get the end!
I'm making pizza again tomorrow so I'll try to get some better pictures.

Oh, I forgot to add that I got the little chef guy on the bottom but he didn't turn out as I expected.... it's kind of rough... I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow... but it's still pretty great. A++++++ would buy again!

That looks amazing. Would you mind if I share some of these images on our facebook or twitter pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

By all means go ahead. It's a great product!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
My humble submission.

Got the steel (A1011 CS Type B, 3/8") in 2 days ago, washed it 3x with a Brillo pad, seasoned with vegetable oil x1 because I wanted some pizza, okay. My chef guy looks to be more defined than the previous one posted.

We're still working on getting the crust right, we don't have much pizza making experience before this. Pesto, mozzarella, basil, pepperoni, garlic, and oregano on this one.

We're definitely not getting the same kind of blackened crusts that have been posted. Don't know if this is from my oven not getting hot enough (setting to 500 F for about an hour, then broil for about 15 minutes beforehand and leaving broil on while it's cooking. Takes about 5-6 minutes to cook, so I think the oven might not be as hot as others), us using too much flour on the base of the dough, something else, or a combination of the two. May try setting the oven a bit higher next time I guess.

Anyway, our pizza consumption has increased by about 300%. Hopefully we'll have some better looking crusts in the future.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Whoaaa your little chef guy looks so awesome.
And the pizza looks tasty! Hmmm pizza definitely not looking all that charred.. Mine would have been completely carbonized if I'd left it in there that long . is your oven electric by any chance? Mine is gas and I can see the angry blazing fire on the top of the oven when my broiler is going. If I ever get an infrared thermometer I'll let you know what my steel registers at when I throw the pizza on.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Yup, I have a lovely electric oven and range. There used to be gas here but they ripped it out when the house was remodeled :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you have a thermometer? You should check and see how hot your oven is getting.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Laminator posted:

My humble submission.

Got the steel (A1011 CS Type B, 3/8") in 2 days ago, washed it 3x with a Brillo pad, seasoned with vegetable oil x1 because I wanted some pizza, okay. My chef guy looks to be more defined than the previous one posted.

We're still working on getting the crust right, we don't have much pizza making experience before this. Pesto, mozzarella, basil, pepperoni, garlic, and oregano on this one.

We're definitely not getting the same kind of blackened crusts that have been posted. Don't know if this is from my oven not getting hot enough (setting to 500 F for about an hour, then broil for about 15 minutes beforehand and leaving broil on while it's cooking. Takes about 5-6 minutes to cook, so I think the oven might not be as hot as others), us using too much flour on the base of the dough, something else, or a combination of the two. May try setting the oven a bit higher next time I guess.

Anyway, our pizza consumption has increased by about 300%. Hopefully we'll have some better looking crusts in the future.

The pizza looks good. I'm glad your happy with the steel and the etching.

* Edit

Can I add your photos to our baking steel album on Facebook?

jeomk fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 17, 2014

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gonna crosspost this from the Pizza making thread. This was my first time making pizza anything. I didn't buy the baking steel from Robinson Laser as I had the means to make it myself, but it's the same exact thing. I went with .250" A36.

Annnnd it went...okay.

The dough came out really good I think. It was incredibly easy to stretch. I was surprised, especially not having done it before. The main problem I think it my oven doesn't quite get hot enough. The bottom of the pizza wasn't as brown and crispy as I would have liked, but it was definitely something I could see actually getting from a take out place.

Dough after sitting in the fridge overnight

My five inch rounds that I let rest for 2 hours

My stretched dough. Stupid hole! :argh:

Topped. I just went with sauce and cheese for this trial run. I figure more experimenting can come later.

Here it is out of the oven. Took about 4 minutes

Crumb shot or whatever

Here's the second one I made. I tried a different sauce and cheese and I liked this one a lot better, even though it's a stupidly shaped pizza

Crumb shot of the second pizza

All in all, it went alright. I definitely need some more practice and to nail down a technique. The baking steel definitely seems to work really well. Any advice is welcome!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Proper Uppercut, do you have any "upskirts" of your pizza? The blistering/charring on top seems pretty decent so I'd love to see what the bottom of the pizza looked like, after being in contact with the baking steel.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The Midniter posted:

A Proper Uppercut, do you have any "upskirts" of your pizza? The blistering/charring on top seems pretty decent so I'd love to see what the bottom of the pizza looked like, after being in contact with the baking steel.

I brought some in for lunch at work today, I'll take a shot when I eat.

Edit: Here you go

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 17, 2014

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

jeomk posted:

The pizza looks good. I'm glad your happy with the steel and the etching.

* Edit

Can I add your photos to our baking steel album on Facebook?

Sure!

Might try to get a oven thermometer and see what's going on in there.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Long shot, but does anyone in Vancouver want one of these but not want to deal with shipping? I'm going to order one to a place across the border in Blaine (I'm there every week picking up stuff for work anyway) and would be happy to bring an extra or two back with me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright-placed an order without the goony poo poo. 3/8 Commerical A36 for 54 bucks shipped to Texas.

Time to throw out the baking stone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bulgogi pizza is great, the marinade brings a lot of flavors with it. Everyone should try it.

I'm finding that parchment and wet dough gets a more satisfyingly spotted crust than a heavily floured and dusted dough, at least in my kitchen setup.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I gotta say, I don't think any pictures I've seen in this thread look much better than what I get using my baking stone. Is this steel nonsense really worthwhile?

I mean definitely if you're going from nothing to a steel - but the difference between a ceramic stone and a steel?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

For most of us, I think it's mostly the fact that it's going to be harder to crack a steel slab.

I was going through a pizza stone a year before I grabbed the Lodge pizza pan, and I've been happy with it's results.

Going to grab one of these steels so I do not have to deal with a lip around the rim, which the Lodge pan has.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 21, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I gotta say, I don't think any pictures I've seen in this thread look much better than what I get using my baking stone. Is this steel nonsense really worthwhile?

I mean definitely if you're going from nothing to a steel - but the difference between a ceramic stone and a steel?

cook time is the big difference. cooking for 10 minutes isn't ~~true neapolitan pizza~~

I'm sure you know but someone could cook some stir fry in a wok on a standard stove vs a real wok burner and it may look the same but the flavor is worlds apart.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Biggest selling point is that my old ghetto stove sucked with hot spots so I always left my stone in there for heat distribution. Then I made meatloaf one day and grease fell onto the stone and it absorbed some and no matter how much I washed it or tried to burn it off it would smoke up the house like it was on fire. I don't see steel reacting the same way.

However I do have an kickin' rad new gas oven now so meh.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Biggest selling point is that my old ghetto stove sucked with hot spots so I always left my stone in there for heat distribution. Then I made meatloaf one day and grease fell onto the stone and it absorbed some and no matter how much I washed it or tried to burn it off it would smoke up the house like it was on fire. I don't see steel reacting the same way.

However I do have an kickin' rad new gas oven now so meh.

Clean cycle in your oven. It'll still smoke up so use a fan in the window and whatnot, but my room mate is an idiot who always reheats his greasy pizzaria slices on the stone since I leave it in the oven for a more equal heat distribution. The thing gets covered in grease from it and eventually the top turns black. As much as I yell at him, he still does it and it's gross, but I just run the clean cycle every once and a while and every stain, mark, and discoloration comes off, it looks like the day I bought it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ok, I am dumb as dirt but I cannot figure out how to order this thing.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bunnielab posted:

Reported

idk either

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

bunnielab posted:

What part of the process are you guys confused by? If it is saving the file either right click the link and save it or, just copy & paste the text from the browser into a text editor and save it as a .dxf file. Otherwise we have a few demo videos that explain the different steps in the ordering process.

Here are the video tutorials

jeomk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 22, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I get to to the second screen and there is nothing in the cart and it hangs up and loads forever if I try to advance it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

I get to to the second screen and there is nothing in the cart and it hangs up and loads forever if I try to advance it.

healthcare.gov website developer spotted :siren:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I just ordered one of the fine hanzo steel magical pizza doohickeys. 3/8" structural steel based on noodlesinabag's post because holy poo poo that pizza looks awesome. I'll be back in a couple weeks when I've had a chance to break it in. Hot drat I'm excited for this.

Thanks to jeomk and GrAviTy84 for this.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I'll check out the error logs when I get in this morning to see if I can identify a problem. Sorry that you are having difficulties with our site.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

koreban posted:

I just ordered one of the fine hanzo steel magical pizza doohickeys. 3/8" structural steel based on noodlesinabag's post because holy poo poo that pizza looks awesome. I'll be back in a couple weeks when I've had a chance to break it in. Hot drat I'm excited for this.

Thanks to jeomk and GrAviTy84 for this.

You're welcome. Thanks for your order and I can't wait to see pics of your pizza.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I sent you an email containing the dxf file and an explanation of the problem. Did you receive my email?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

jeomk posted:

I sent you an email containing the dxf file and an explanation of the problem. Did you receive my email?

Could you do this for me as well? I had a hard time earlier in the thread and just gave up. Want that pizza!

Craallred at gmail.com

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
I'm curious, these things are a tad expensive, but that seems to be mostly due to shipping. You don't see a dime of that

How much money profit are you guys actually making per unit? I kind of like the idea that goon connections are making your company a tiny bit of a windfall.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

something clever posted:

Could you do this for me as well? I had a hard time earlier in the thread and just gave up. Want that pizza!

Craallred at gmail.com

I sent the round, rectangle, and rectangle with smiley drawings.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

Tweek posted:

I'm curious, these things are a tad expensive, but that seems to be mostly due to shipping. You don't see a dime of that

How much money profit are you guys actually making per unit? I kind of like the idea that goon connections are making your company a tiny bit of a windfall.

Yeah, the shipping costs are directly from UPS/Fedex with our corporate discount rate.

As for if this is profitable, that's a simple question with a complex answer. I'd like to explain it as much as I can, but I also don't want to sound like I'm selling (ourselves) outside of SA-Mart or thread-jacking GrAviTy84's awesome thread.

This originally stemmed from our ad and SA-Mart thread we started a little over a month ago. I and the 3 other guys in our dept have been goons for a long time. I've taken advantage of goon discounts for a while and wanted to offer something back, but I've never had anything reasonable to offer. Then a few years ago we came up with this (apparently for our industry revolutionary) idea of automating pretty much everything in our company. Our industry is literally over a hundred years old and they still do business like an episode of Mad Men. That whole "If you take us out to a steak dinner, we might let you cut some of our product" or as someone in this thread earlier said "just call up your local steel supplier and ask for sales!". And our generation really isn't like that anymore. I buy everything from amazon. I mean, I don't even call my pizza place anymore. I order from their website. So we made a site where you can upload whatever design you want, it prices it out instantly (surprisingly people still wait for RFQs), all without haggling or dealing with anyone. You can even pay with a credit card. And once you order, it is all sent to our lasers automatically.

What does this all mean? Well, one of the things we were able to do when this system was automated is offer 1 pc orders. I thought that gave us enough of a cool thing to present to the goons. The only thing was the last portion of our company that isn't automated is the packaging. Which is why we normally charge a $25 Handling fee on small orders. I thought that would be too restrictive for the goons, so we made a coupon to waive it. We bought an ad and setup a thread in SA-Mart and people got the idea that we can cut their pizza steels.

Unfortunately with the Handling waived, its close to nullifying our profits. But, like I said we only have 1 month of data so far. And both threads have brought a ton of attention to our site for which I'm very grateful. Who knows, maybe some of the people in these threads work in the industry and like our stuff. The goons are everywhere. I'm thinking of offering the coupon for the rest of this month, and if the numbers don't look good enough I might offer a $20 coupon instead or something, but I don't know how many people that would upset.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just got the package today.

Holy poo poo, that packaging. Since it's all by hand, and knowing what I know now-I would have zero problem throwing you guys an extra $5 to get this. The box and steel came to me intact and in perfect shape.

The product looks really great. I used gravity's upload from the OP (3/8 Commercial grade A36). I had no idea 23 pounds was SO heavy though! Especially when I lifted it compared to my 5 pound (if that) baking stone. Just tested it on my oven racks and it doesn't bow, so that's good!

So what's the recommended cleaning and seasoning for this? I know to throw some veg oil on it wipe off excess, and throw in a 500F oven for an hour once or twice, but what about initial cleaning? Grab a brillo pad or SOS pad? Soap/no soap?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I did brillo first, then soap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is UPS ground the cheapest shipping?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

jeomk posted:

I did, sorry I didnt get back to you, east coast winter-wonderland froze my pipes and distracted me.

Sadly I am too cheap to pay $50 to ship a $50 item without first wasting a ton of time trying to find one locally and cutting and finishing it myself only to realize that I am going to pay almost as much in cutting disks and such. It is a lame process but I need it.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

nwin posted:

Just got the package today.

Holy poo poo, that packaging. Since it's all by hand, and knowing what I know now-I would have zero problem throwing you guys an extra $5 to get this. The box and steel came to me intact and in perfect shape.

The product looks really great. I used gravity's upload from the OP (3/8 Commercial grade A36). I had no idea 23 pounds was SO heavy though! Especially when I lifted it compared to my 5 pound (if that) baking stone. Just tested it on my oven racks and it doesn't bow, so that's good!

So what's the recommended cleaning and seasoning for this? I know to throw some veg oil on it wipe off excess, and throw in a 500F oven for an hour once or twice, but what about initial cleaning? Grab a brillo pad or SOS pad? Soap/no soap?

I'm glad you are happy with your steel. Thanks for ordering. I used dish detergent to wash ours prior to seasoning.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Typically is it the least expensive option.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I did, sorry I didnt get back to you, east coast winter-wonderland froze my pipes and distracted me.

Sadly I am too cheap to pay $50 to ship a $50 item without first wasting a ton of time trying to find one locally and cutting and finishing it myself only to realize that I am going to pay almost as much in cutting disks and such. It is a lame process but I need it.

Don't be sorry, hope your pipes are fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

jeomk posted:

Typically is it the least expensive option.

Just did a quick comparison of rates between FedEx and UPS Ground going from Indiana to LA and the difference is worth the effort to choose given that FedEx charges around $27.73 and UPS charges $40.61; I suspected that this is the case because I do a lot of shipping for my beer trading hobby and usually FedEx is almost always the cheaper option in terms of Ground shipping

• Locked thread