Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Silver isn't amazing at predicting sport except baseball, far as I can tell either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Even your liberal NATE SILVER said this."

Arkane I don't think you understand how science works.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Fun fact: Nate Silver doesn't vote in elections (because he's an idiot, and by extension because of people like Arkane).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Arkane posted:

I can't speak to the rest of the world...but in the US, no not at all. The valuation of Tesla right now expects gigantic growth, and for good reason. I wouldn't worry too much about infrastructure: that will be built to meet demand. We already have 200 mile range batteries with 500 mile range batteries on the horizon both from Tesla and IBM (~5 years from now). Batteries are only going to become cheaper and more efficient. Tesla is ~3 years away from a $35k-$40k car, according to them. Fast forward a decade from now, and there's probably affordable electric cars being produced by most car manufacturers. Fast forward 15-20 years and electric cars are being sold in massive quantities.

Here's the past 3 years (pure electric in green)

This graph is cumulative sales. It would therefore be impossible for the graph to have a downward trend and if we look closely at the difference between each bar it would appear that sales of these cars are almost totally flat with a constant rate sold each year.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nate Silver is not a climate scientist. He has no formal training in atmospheric mechanics at all; he's even less of a reputable source on the topic than a meteorologist would be. He's made his fortune in predicting sports and politics, which are primarily human-based with a healthy dose of randomness. There are no natural laws like thermodynamics that underlie baseball statistics.

Nate Silver writing about climate change is a classic case of "being smart at one thing does not make you an expert at everything".

Did I say he was analyzing climate science? He was looking at the climate models, which are nothing but numbers. They are statistical forecasts. We can match up forecasts with real world observations and see if they match or not. You'd be stupid not do to this. So far the models do not come remotely close to forecasting observations, which was the entire purpose behind the writing of the Nature article that began this topic (discovering why the models are so bad).

Nice job arguing against something that I didn't post, though. Yeoman's work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Arkane posted:

Did I say he was analyzing climate science? He was looking at the climate models, which are nothing but numbers. They are statistical forecasts. We can match up forecasts with real world observations and see if they match or not. You'd be stupid not do to this. So far the models do not come remotely close to forecasting observations, which was the entire purpose behind the writing of the Nature article that began this topic (discovering why the models are so bad).

Nice job arguing against something that I didn't post, though. Yeoman's work.

You've personally pointed out in this thread that weather forecasts aren't climate.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Salt Fish posted:

This graph is cumulative sales. It would therefore be impossible for the graph to have a downward trend and if we look closely at the difference between each bar it would appear that sales of these cars are almost totally flat with a constant rate sold each year.

Just pure electric sales:

2011: 10064
2012: 14251
2013: 47694

Probably will see at least 30% year on year growth for the foreseeable future.

Salt Fish posted:

You've personally pointed out in this thread that weather forecasts aren't climate.

not seeing how this relates?

Arkane fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sogol posted:

You agree about anthropic effect. You agree this is creating negative effects globally. You argue about the degree of those effects and the basis for determining that. Presumably you would not argue about the tendency for growth and acceleration in the anthropic systems creating the effects. You believe that the same anthropic system dynamic creating the negative effect can remedy that effect (in ways that presumably require growth and acceleration within that model). This may or may not be true, but certainly has the status of a faith based believe. You have never been clear about why you hold this faith based belief. It violates the basic nature of how systems work so it would take some unfolding to ground. In your agreement about negative anthropic effect you have never really spoken to our ability or inability to self regulate. I am left imagining that you must believe that the technology you have faith in must be coupled with some free market self-regulatory activity. Perhaps you are thinking something else will happen? Why do you imagine that? What is the basis for that?

My own sense, based on you never once having been willing to engage such questions, is that you have some form of self-identification, interest or benefit related to how you navigate the uncertainty. You have never addressed this, even when asked. Perhaps it is something of which you are unaware?

I never implied a panacea, so you're putting my words into my mouth a bit there. I stated two things a few posts before your own. One, that I think the effects are highly exaggerated (which is probably going to be born out to be true, if we're being honest) and two, that I think that technological advances are highly underestimated. Just as a general comment, I'm not following you why it would be a "faith-based belief" to think that technology will advance rapidly. Doesn't recent history show that not expecting this is the more untenable belief? Since the dawn of free market capitalism and with the spread of democracy, we have seen humanity move with leaps and bounds in each generation. Both in terms of practical inventions and also sheer knowledge. I don't necessarily think that cure-alls will be invented or even need to be invented, but I also think that this thread is entirely ignoring the fact that the world will be unrecognizably different and more advanced even a mere 20 years from now. I mean poo poo the Gates Foundation just posted a letter today saying that they think there will be almost no poor countries left by 2035. As to your last paragraph, you seem to frame it a bit dramatically. I've just become engrossed in the topic over time. I read about it nearly everyday, keep track of the latest numbers, follow relevant people on Twitter, and read interesting papers. If you really want to get down to it, I am extremely (albeit not completely) confident that I am arguing the correct side of this debate and that the incorrect side of the debate is those who distort/exaggerate numbers for political or other gains (Al Gore, James Hansen, Michael Mann, et al). Numbers, much like the ball, don't lie.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Arkane posted:

I never implied a panacea, so you're putting my words into my mouth a bit there. I stated two things a few posts before your own. One, that I think the effects are highly exaggerated (which is probably going to be born out to be true, if we're being honest) and two, that I think that technological advances are highly underestimated. Just as a general comment, I'm not following you why it would be a "faith-based belief" to think that technology will advance rapidly. Doesn't recent history show that not expecting this is the more untenable belief? Since the dawn of free market capitalism and with the spread of democracy, we have seen humanity move with leaps and bounds in each generation. Both in terms of practical inventions and also sheer knowledge. I don't necessarily think that cure-alls will be invented or even need to be invented, but I also think that this thread is entirely ignoring the fact that the world will be unrecognizably different and more advanced even a mere 20 years from now. I mean poo poo the Gates Foundation just posted a letter today saying that they think there will be almost no poor countries left by 2035. As to your last paragraph, you seem to frame it a bit dramatically. I've just become engrossed in the topic over time. I read about it nearly everyday, keep track of the latest numbers, follow relevant people on Twitter, and read interesting papers. If you really want to get down to it, I am extremely (albeit not completely) confident that I am arguing the correct side of this debate and that the incorrect side of the debate is those who distort/exaggerate numbers for political or other gains (Al Gore, James Hansen, Michael Mann, et al). Numbers, much like the ball, don't lie.

Thank you for this reply. It is the closest to what I would consider a "good faith" post from you in this thread, in my opinion.

You agree that there is an anthropic effect.

You believe it is exaggerated by people seeking personal gain.

You believe that technology and free market forces will be able to address what minimal negative effects there are (in your model of things).

This is typically coupled with the background consequence of such effects being addressed in a way that allows the beneficiaries of the current globalized system producing the effects to maintain the accrued benefits. Maybe you feel this maybe not.

That belief is in turn usually associated with the notion that the said system will eventually be able to equitably distribute the supposed benefits, even though it is purposed for the exact opposite. You may or may not believe the first part of this.

This is something of what I meant about your basis for argument and interpretation being grounded in a position of unexamined self-identification as a beneficiary of the effects, which you admit exist, albeit exaggerated as a result of a conspiracy theory you also hold.

The "numbers don't lie" is a simplistic and comforting position. I am not now, nor will I ever try to persuade you of something other than what you believe, because of the specific relationship that inhabiting a paradigm has to "numbers". I have written pretty extensively about this elsewhere in the thread if you have any interest. Ptolemy-Copernicus is the iconic version for reference.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

SedanChair posted:

"Even your liberal NATE SILVER said this."

Arkane I don't think you understand how science works.

He's unskewed literally hundreds of climatology papers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Arkane posted:

I mean poo poo the Gates Foundation just posted a letter today saying that they think there will be almost no poor countries left by 2035.\

If this were true how do we imagine they are going to be powering all their toys? I'll give you a hint, it's going to produce even more CO2.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nevvy Z posted:

If this were true how do we imagine they are going to be powering all their toys? I'll give you a hint, it's going to produce even more CO2.

It's going to require more energy, which we can in principle supply without producing vast amounts of CO2.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

When you say "toys", I assume you mean hundreds of millions of people not being doomed to a life of borderline starvation and disease? I'd say that should be prioritized over worries about third world CO2 emissions, but that's just me.

On this topic, though, we're possibly 3 years from a prototype beta fusion reactor from Lockheed Martin. If its a provable, we're ~25 years from fusion energy becoming commonplace. That would be the most efficient energy source ever created by mankind (by a large margin), with virtually 0 emissions.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

edit: mistake.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arkane posted:

On this topic, though, we're possibly 3 years from a prototype beta fusion reactor from Lockheed Martin. If its a provable, we're ~25 years from fusion energy becoming commonplace. That would be the most efficient energy source ever created by mankind (by a large margin), with virtually 0 emissions.

They've said that fusion is 25 years away for the past 50. While I'd like to believe that something like the Polywell or the Lockheed project you mention would be viable soon, historical predictions (never mind Hofstadter's Law) do not bode well for your prediction.

(Doesn't mean I'm not eagerly following Polywell news, but still)

Also, on the topic of emissions, while it may have few emissions, it still has a dirty secret if we're not explicitly talking about p-11B fusion: neutron radiation and resulting neutron activation of reactor core materials.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Toy? Look around you. How many "toys" from the 80's , 90's are still there? Literally almost every electronic device that was, is now in the form of a smart phone that consumes only a few watts. The largest growing market for phones are these "poor" countries. They have essentially skipped the land lines for wireless.

Arkane posted:

Just pure electric sales:

2011: 10064
2012: 14251
2013: 47694

Probably will see at least 30% year on year growth for the foreseeable future.

While I'm all for electric cars, natural gas is a more sound way to go(maybe not with sodium batteries). Backed by Nuclear power we can create unlimited natural gas from atmospheric CO2 and water. We could even start this process today using the off peak power to wean us off oil.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That you think they aren't going to want thing like heating, electric lights, and cars when they are magically not poor is extra wishful thinking.

You think they are going to be building nuclear plants to power all that? Go ask the energy gen thread how realistic that hope is.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

That you think they aren't going to want thing like heating, electric lights, and cars when they are magically not poor is extra wishful thinking.

You think they are going to be building nuclear plants to power all that? Go ask the energy gen thread how realistic that hope is.

Heating and anything electrical is a FAR FAR better option for the environment then their current choice of wood/dung burning. Not only that, electric lighting and cooking would overall increase the health of those who have to inhale smoke all day. The same electric appliances would also severely reduce deforestation since said person would no longer spend hours a day cutting trees down to survive. Those same hours save can now be used to better their life, via education or other means.

What is 10,000 people who cut one tree every week(min) for a year for forty years just for cooking/heat. Even vs a mine.

The same effect was already proven in America. There are now more trees in the US then there were 100 years ago.

So please tell me how providing (even coal if its a must) power is the worse option.

The thing is with so called 3rd world places there are no current infrastructure to block modern power options. In most cases, require self sustained power due to remoteness and lack of adequate supply chains. A biodiesel generator can be maintained by the locals and in some cases even produce their own fuels. Options that require no fuels are even better, since all you have to teach is repair.

Zelthar fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 22, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gonna need you to source a lot of that. Quality of life is irrelevant. I'm not saying I don't want them to have nice things, I'm saying it probably isn't going to come without increasing their CO2 outputs.

People burning dung isn't what caused global warming. Are these not poor countries going to have industry?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004
http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/energyefficiency.html
http://www.volker-quaschning.de/datserv/CO2-spez/index_e.php

Those are just emissions, and do not include the impact of tree loss.

http://www.fia.fs.fed.us/library/briefings-summaries-overviews/docs/ForestFactsMetric.pdf
Forrest trends in US

Keep in mind that even though the trend is slight, population has increased from ~90mil at 1900 to ~315mill today.

This book did a great job of explaining how increasing quality of life for everyone is better for the planet over all.
Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler
http://www.diamandis.com/abundance/

Keep in mind that your quality of life gave you the education where you actually care what happens to the world. If you had a lower quality of life you would be less likely to care about the environment since most/all your time is spend living.

I can't say how industry would impact overall, but modern industry is far more Co2 minded and produces more product with less energy. Though, if you take modern industry with a renewable based power supply and regrowth of forests, you get a far cleaner culture that can be used as a base point for the less clean.

Zelthar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 23, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't buy that more efficient in home heating is going to counteract other sources of increased CO2 production. That better stoves are more fuel efficient is obvious. That hasn't stopped US or Chinese emissions from growing, nor does it negate the relationship between CO2 output and affluence.

http://imgur.com/w37VEYa,loESeRg
http://imgur.com/w37VEYa,loESeRg#1

Where are they going to get the land for biodiesel growth? The same place Brazillians do?

We can hope that someone somewhere is smart enough to say gently caress it and let some company mass produce safe nuclear reactors that fit in shipping containers but until that happens I wouldn't hold my breath for meaningful emissions reductions.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 23, 2014

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
It's a month old, but here's a very impressive video/timelapse of a glacier calving into the ocean: http://www.radiolab.org/story/hunk-planet-dissolves-our-eyes_kw/

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I've been loving around on electric bicycles for a few months, and these things actually seriously own. The petrol versions, although sounding like meth fueled mosquitoes, get 200kms to the litre fuel efficiency, and I suspect a wide adoption of both the electric and petrol versions would have a pretty good impact on car emmisisons.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

The Western United States is seeing a drought that only happens "every few centuries":

New York Times posted:

With each parched sunrise, a sense of alarm is rising amid signs that this is a drought that comes along only every few centuries. Sacramento had gone 52 days without water, and Albuquerque had gone 42 days without rain or snow as of Saturday.

The snowpack in the Sierra Nevada, which supplies much of California with water during the dry season, was at just 12 percent of normal last week, reflecting the lack of rain or snow in December and January.

“When we don’t have rainfall in our biggest two months, you really are starting off bad,” said Dar Mims, a meteorologist with the Air Resources Board.

Meanwhile, the UK is having the exact opposite problem!

The Independent posted:

A month of torrential downpours has seen some parts of England suffer the wettest January since records began more than 100 years ago, and the start of February is not looking promising.

In another nation with nuclear weapons, Pakistan is living water paycheck to water paycheck (so to speak):

Asian Development Outlook 2013 posted:

Pakistan is one of the most water-stressed countries in the world, not far from being classified as “water scarce,” with less than 1,000 cubic meters per person per year. Water demand exceeds supply, which has caused maximum withdrawal from reservoirs. At present, Pakistan’s storage capacity is limited to a 30-day supply, well below the recommended 1,000 days for countries with a similar climate.

While Iran thinks it's Nordic:

Arab News posted:

The heaviest snowstorm in five decades has blanketed provinces in northern Iran, cutting power supplies and trapping villagers, Iranian media reported Monday.

The storm is “unprecedented for the past 50 years, with two meters (almost seven feet) of snow falling since Friday,” a Mazandaran provincial official said, quoted by the media.

Australia is on fire more than usual lately:

The Sydney Morning Herald posted:

During the heatwave, Roma in southern Queensland broke its record high temperature on three separate days - December 29 and 30, and on January 3.

Many other locations endured prolonged hot spells, such as Barcaldine, which averaged 43.2 degree maximums for a week, beating a record of 42.8 degrees set in 1972.

Charleville’s weekly average of 43.4 degree maximums easily exceeded the previous high for the Queensland town of 42.6 degrees set in 2006.

It's cold where it really shouldn't be cold:

Bankok Post posted:

The unusually long cold spell across the North, Northeast and Central regions has killed 63 people in the past three months and Bangkok has suffered its coldest night in three decades.

And it's been really loving cold in places where it's usually just cold:

The Guardian posted:

A second deep freeze in weeks seized the US mid-west on Monday, prompting schools to close, airlines to cancel flights and the mass mobilization of emergency crews to dig out major roadways.

"I'm moving to Alaska where it's warmer," Kathy Berg said in jest – though it is in fact true of current weather conditions – as she arrived by train for her job in Chicago wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt, sweatshirt, polar fleece hoodie, winter coat, knit cap, two scarves and two pair of gloves.

Needless to say, some of this stuff is costing a pretty penny:

"The Star posted:

Severe weather losses across the country reached a record $3.2 billion in 2013, according to figures released Monday by the Insurance Bureau of Canada.

The New Zealand Herald posted:

Insurance Council of New Zealand chief executive Tim Grafton said last year was one of the costliest years for weather losses since the Insurance Council started tracking them on a regular basis in 1968 - the year of the Wahine disaster.

Wow all these wacky weather things! So wacky!

Stay (location dependent) warm/cool/dry/wet etc. in 2014 everyone!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Found this website recently:

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/index.htm#contents

and thought it might be interesting to some posters in this thread. Although this website provides a summary of the basic forces responsible for global warming and climate change, it is a work of History, not Geoscience. It's a collection of essays each describing one scientific puzzle which emerged from early observations within the natural sciences, and how answering these puzzles inexorably drew scientists towards a theory of anthropogenic climate change. Here are some quotes from the introductory essay I think gives a good sense of what this site is all about :

quote:

A traditional history would try to squeeze the story into a linear text, one event following another like beads on a string. Inevitably some parts are left out. Yet for this sort of subject we need total history, including all the players — mathematicians and biologists, lab technicians and government bureaucrats, industrialists and politicians, newspaper reporters and the ordinary citizen. This Web site is an experiment in a new way to tell a historical story. Think of the site as an object like a sculpture or a building. You walk around, looking from this angle and that. In your head you are putting together a rounded representation, even if you don't take the time to inspect every cranny. That is the way we usually learn about anything complex.

quote:

It is an epic story: the struggle of thousands of men and women over the course of a century for very high stakes. For some, the work required actual physical courage, a risk to life and limb in icy wastes or on the high seas. The rest needed more subtle forms of courage. They gambled decades of arduous effort on the chance of a useful discovery, and staked their reputations on what they claimed to have found. Even as they stretched their minds to the limit on intellectual problems that often proved insoluble, their attention was diverted into grueling administrative struggles to win minimal support for the great work. A few took the battle into the public arena, often getting more blame than praise; most labored to the end of their lives in obscurity. In the end they did win their goal, which was simply knowledge.

quote:

In 1896 a Swedish scientist published a new idea. As humanity burned fossil fuels such as coal, which added carbon dioxide gas to the Earth's atmosphere, we would raise the planet's average temperature. This "greenhouse effect" was only one of many speculations about climate change, however, and not the most plausible. Scientists found technical reasons to argue that our emissions could not change the climate. Indeed most thought it was obvious that puny humanity could never affect the vast climate cycles, which were governed by a benign "balance of nature." In any case major change seemed impossible except over tens of thousands of years.

It also includes essays on public and government responses to the scientific consensus, and everything's available for download as a pdf. Easily searchable, each essay includes links for more information whenever it skims over complex details, kinda like a wikipedia article. Everything is meticulously sourced and the site was last updated in 2013, so it's pretty current. I've only read a couple essays so far, there's just tons of material here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sitchensis posted:

The Western United States is seeing a drought that only happens "every few centuries":

Meanwhile, the UK is having the exact opposite problem!

In another nation with nuclear weapons, Pakistan is living water paycheck to water paycheck (so to speak):

While Iran thinks it's Nordic:

Australia is on fire more than usual lately:

It's cold where it really shouldn't be cold:

And it's been really loving cold in places where it's usually just cold:

Needless to say, some of this stuff is costing a pretty penny:

Wow all these wacky weather things! So wacky!

Stay (location dependent) warm/cool/dry/wet etc. in 2014 everyone!

Alaska is apparently hot as gently caress, relatively speaking.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

sitchensis posted:

Being in California, I'm well familiar with the ongoing drought and its consequences, along with how horrible it is compared to previous droughts within the past century. I think an important question to ask though is how sure we can be that this drought is being caused by the same climatic mechanisms that caused previous droughts? I'm not a climate scientist so I'm not sure how a research would be able to narrow that down using different paleo records. The current drought I believe is largely caused by that high pressure ridge up north that keeps diverting storms that would normally come down here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bizarro Watt posted:

Being in California, I'm well familiar with the ongoing drought and its consequences, along with how horrible it is compared to previous droughts within the past century. I think an important question to ask though is how sure we can be that this drought is being caused by the same climatic mechanisms that caused previous droughts? I'm not a climate scientist so I'm not sure how a research would be able to narrow that down using different paleo records. The current drought I believe is largely caused by that high pressure ridge up north that keeps diverting storms that would normally come down here.

Yeah, basically California is bone dry for the same reason the rest of the US is seeing unprecedented cold; a blocking high was sitting over California (rather than further east over the Pacific) for most of December and January, which meant that the jet stream was hitting British Columbia and then diving back down over the Midwest as it went around the high and picked up arctic air that would normally sit over the Canadian Shield.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can anyone recommend some resources on the current health/environmental/violence impact in the Niger Delta from past/current oil extraction?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Entire Universe posted:

Alaska is apparently hot as gently caress, relatively speaking.

Which I'm sure is playing hell with the buildings, many of which have designs that assume they're built on permafrost.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ikanreed posted:

Which I'm sure is playing hell with the buildings, many of which have designs that assume they're built on permafrost.

It does get in the 90s in many parts of Alaska during the summer so it's not like they never see this type of weather.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

duck monster posted:

I've been loving around on electric bicycles for a few months, and these things actually seriously own. The petrol versions, although sounding like meth fueled mosquitoes, get 200kms to the litre fuel efficiency, and I suspect a wide adoption of both the electric and petrol versions would have a pretty good impact on car emmisisons.

Well hey, don't leave me hangin'. Put up some links or something. What brand names, or manufacturers or what have you. I mean this isn't the perfect thread for it but you could tell us a bit more, I guess.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I have had a Biruni cargo ebike since they came out last year. I haven't had a car for many, many years and its my only form of transport. I live up steep hills. It is a a amazing. I rode a bunch of different bikes. The Biruni is not as zippy as many others, but is amazing for the purpose of really carrying things around, flattening out hills, etc. That said on a steep hill, with the wind, going full tilt motor and pedal I have had it up to 40+ mph. If I were going to get another (which I might) I might go with a KlyFly wheel and put it on my normal bike, which is a basic single gear frame. There are a few very high end bikes (like Stromer) that are just out and out fast.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This is kinda the environmental thread for D&D so I'll post this here. Apparently (among other things) the ocean is still full of debris from the tsunami.

quote:

IT was the silence that made this voyage different from all of those before it.

Not the absence of sound, exactly.

The wind still whipped the sails and whistled in the rigging. The waves still sloshed against the fibreglass hull.

And there were plenty of other noises: muffled thuds and bumps and scrapes as the boat knocked against pieces of debris.

What was missing was the cries of the seabirds which, on all previous similar voyages, had surrounded the boat.

The birds were missing because the fish were missing.

Exactly 10 years before, when Newcastle yachtsman Ivan Macfadyen had sailed exactly the same course from Melbourne to Osaka, all he'd had to do to catch a fish from the ocean between Brisbane and Japan was throw out a baited line.

"There was not one of the 28 days on that portion of the trip when we didn't catch a good-sized fish to cook up and eat with some rice," Macfadyen recalled.

But this time, on that whole long leg of sea journey, the total catch was two.

No fish. No birds. Hardly a sign of life at all.

"In years gone by I'd gotten used to all the birds and their noises," he said.

"They'd be following the boat, sometimes resting on the mast before taking off again. You'd see flocks of them wheeling over the surface of the sea in the distance, feeding on pilchards."

But in March and April this year, only silence and desolation surrounded his boat, Funnel Web, as it sped across the surface of a haunted ocean.

North of the equator, up above New Guinea, the ocean-racers saw a big fishing boat working a reef in the distance.

"All day it was there, trawling back and forth. It was a big ship, like a mother-ship," he said.

And all night it worked too, under bright floodlights. And in the morning Macfadyen was awoken by his crewman calling out, urgently, that the ship had launched a speedboat.

"Obviously I was worried. We were unarmed and pirates are a real worry in those waters. I thought, if these guys had weapons then we were in deep trouble."

But they weren't pirates, not in the conventional sense, at least. The speedboat came alongside and the Melanesian men aboard offered gifts of fruit and jars of jam and preserves.

"And they gave us five big sugar-bags full of fish," he said.

"They were good, big fish, of all kinds. Some were fresh, but others had obviously been in the sun for a while.

"We told them there was no way we could possibly use all those fish. There were just two of us, with no real place to store or keep them. They just shrugged and told us to tip them overboard. That's what they would have done with them anyway, they said.

"They told us that his was just a small fraction of one day's by-catch. That they were only interested in tuna and to them, everything else was rubbish. It was all killed, all dumped. They just trawled that reef day and night and stripped it of every living thing."

Macfadyen felt sick to his heart. That was one fishing boat among countless more working unseen beyond the horizon, many of them doing exactly the same thing.

No wonder the sea was dead. No wonder his baited lines caught nothing. There was nothing to catch.

If that sounds depressing, it only got worse.

The next leg of the long voyage was from Osaka to San Francisco and for most of that trip the desolation was tinged with nauseous horror and a degree of fear.

"After we left Japan, it felt as if the ocean itself was dead," Macfadyen said.

"We hardly saw any living things. We saw one whale, sort of rolling helplessly on the surface with what looked like a big tumour on its head. It was pretty sickening.

"I've done a lot of miles on the ocean in my life and I'm used to seeing turtles, dolphins, sharks and big flurries of feeding birds. But this time, for 3000 nautical miles there was nothing alive to be seen."

In place of the missing life was garbage in astounding volumes.

"Part of it was the aftermath of the tsunami that hit Japan a couple of years ago. The wave came in over the land, picked up an unbelievable load of stuff and carried it out to sea. And it's still out there, everywhere you look."

Ivan's brother, Glenn, who boarded at Hawaii for the run into the United States, marvelled at the "thousands on thousands" of yellow plastic buoys. The huge tangles of synthetic rope, fishing lines and nets. Pieces of polystyrene foam by the million. And slicks of oil and petrol, everywhere.

Countless hundreds of wooden power poles are out there, snapped off by the killer wave and still trailing their wires in the middle of the sea.

"In years gone by, when you were becalmed by lack of wind, you'd just start your engine and motor on," Ivan said.

Not this time.

"In a lot of places we couldn't start our motor for fear of entangling the propeller in the mass of pieces of rope and cable. That's an unheard of situation, out in the ocean.

"If we did decide to motor we couldn't do it at night, only in the daytime with a lookout on the bow, watching for rubbish.

"On the bow, in the waters above Hawaii, you could see right down into the depths. I could see that the debris isn't just on the surface, it's all the way down. And it's all sizes, from a soft-drink bottle to pieces the size of a big car or truck.

"We saw a factory chimney sticking out of the water, with some kind of boiler thing still attached below the surface. We saw a big container-type thing, just rolling over and over on the waves.

"We were weaving around these pieces of debris. It was like sailing through a garbage tip.

"Below decks you were constantly hearing things hitting against the hull, and you were constantly afraid of hitting something really big. As it was, the hull was scratched and dented all over the place from bits and pieces we never saw."

Plastic was ubiquitous. Bottles, bags and every kind of throwaway domestic item you can imagine, from broken chairs to dustpans, toys and utensils.

And something else. The boat's vivid yellow paint job, never faded by sun or sea in years gone past, reacted with something in the water off Japan, losing its sheen in a strange and unprecedented way.

BACK in Newcastle, Ivan Macfadyen is still coming to terms with the shock and horror of the voyage.

"The ocean is broken," he said, shaking his head in stunned disbelief.

Recognising the problem is vast, and that no organisations or governments appear to have a particular interest in doing anything about it, Macfadyen is looking for ideas.

He plans to lobby government ministers, hoping they might help.

More immediately, he will approach the organisers of Australia's major ocean races, trying to enlist yachties into an international scheme that uses volunteer yachtsmen to monitor debris and marine life.

Macfadyen signed up to this scheme while he was in the US, responding to an approach by US academics who asked yachties to fill in daily survey forms and collect samples for radiation testing - a significant concern in the wake of the tsunami and consequent nuclear power station failure in Japan.

"I asked them why don't we push for a fleet to go and clean up the mess," he said.

"But they said they'd calculated that the environmental damage from burning the fuel to do that job would be worse than just leaving the debris there."
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

I love the trend of one sentence per paragraph, that's one feature I hoped wouldn't spread from the BBC. :smith:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is kinda the environmental thread for D&D so I'll post this here. Apparently (among other things) the ocean is still full of debris from the tsunami.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

I love the trend of one sentence per paragraph, that's one feature I hoped wouldn't spread from the BBC. :smith:

God drat. Just loving God drat. Thanks for sharing it, even if it is the most horrifying thing I've read for many weeks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow, imagine you're a whale, smart as balls, swimming through the ocean. Everyone you've ever known is dead, food is dwindling and everything tastes weird. Then a polyp forms on your head, compounding grief with maddening pain.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

SedanChair posted:

Wow, imagine you're a whale, smart as balls, swimming through the ocean. Everyone you've ever known is dead, food is dwindling and everything tastes weird. Then a polyp forms on your head, compounding grief with maddening pain.

So Cormack McCarthy's The Road for cetaceans, great.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
The ocean would come back fairly quickly too (by quickly I mean a few centuries) if we WOULD JUST loving STOP RUINING EVERYTHING.

Honestly, though, I have no idea while people still eat fish. Even the ones that are caught are either labelled as something else , like bottom feeders labelled as sea bass and such or full of chemicals. But then, I don't eat meat either so whatever.

Sources:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/december/food/fake-fish/overview/index.htm
http://www.fishwatch.gov/buying_seafood/combating_seafood_fraud.htm
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/10/25/investigation-uncovers-rampant-fish-fraud/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Heard a quote from a guy named Farley Mowat today that pretty much hits that feeling like a nailhead:

"We are behaving like yeasts in a brewer’s vat, multiplying mindlessly while greedily consuming the substance of a finite world. If we continue to imitate the yeasts, we will perish as they perish, having exhausted our resources and poisoned ourselves in the lethal brew of our own wastes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Entire Universe posted:

Heard a quote from a guy named Farley Mowat today that pretty much hits that feeling like a nailhead:

"We are behaving like yeasts in a brewer’s vat, multiplying mindlessly while greedily consuming the substance of a finite world. If we continue to imitate the yeasts, we will perish as they perish, having exhausted our resources and poisoned ourselves in the lethal brew of our own wastes."

To be fair this analogy would have us transforming into spores by building a protective layer around ourselves so that we can start up again once conditions are more favorable.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/07/25/yeast-washing-reusing-your-yeast/

• Locked thread