Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

NihilCredo posted:

Project Nero hint #5 is "What does the Skald say?"

So we're definitely getting something about Norway (not just Scandinavia or fantasy-Scandinavia), with some degree of Nordic mythology thrown in there (the troll hint).

Trollhunter: the game.

Didn't Paradox do a Scandinavia-specific game set in the Dark Ages as one of their first games ever? Maybe a return to that? Seems kinda like a niche game that'll go over about as well as Sengoku or Rome did (ie: not very well at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
What is the point of a game if I can't lead my unfairly marginalized nation finally to the greatness it so rightly deserves?

(Is there a lot of historic revanchism in Scandinavia?)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Trollhunter: the game.

Didn't Paradox do a Scandinavia-specific game set in the Dark Ages as one of their first games ever? Maybe a return to that? Seems kinda like a niche game that'll go over about as well as Sengoku or Rome did (ie: not very well at all).

I think that was War in the North or something that was a Norse-focused Europa Universalis 2 stand-alone

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Project Nero hint #5 is "What does the Skald say?"

So we're definitely getting something about Norway (not just Scandinavia or fantasy-Scandinavia), with some degree of Nordic mythology thrown in there (the troll hint).

It's obviously Bard's Tale set in Norse mythology.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

e X posted:

Maybe not a lot, but it's been a running joke at PDS for as long as I can remember that their games have a very clear and unapologetic bias toward buffing Sweden.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I guess what we can all agree on is that it's clearly Rome II: Beyond the Rhine.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I hope it's a Dark Ages / Fall of Rome game!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Drone posted:

Crown of the North in 2004 was Scandinavian EU, which might be what you're thinking of -- it's what gradenko_2000 means, at least. In Sweden that game was called Svea Rike III and released at about the same time as the original EU, and the second sequel to Svea Rike. That entire series is a proto-EU, I suppose.

Svea Rike itself was based on a popular boardgame where the players play the heads of various Swedish noble houses and try to plot and maneuver for power and prestige, which might also sound familiar. Assuming the players were reasonably competitive people said board game also tended to involve the players irrevocably loving over the nation with their infighting and backstabbing, the usual ending was the nation falling to pieces and the player's houses being wiped out in a bloody revolution. :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's Mount and Blade: Viking Scandinavia Edition

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Hearts of iron 4 (miles per hex): Sweden rises

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

e X posted:

What is the point of a game if I can't lead my unfairly marginalized nation finally to the greatness it so rightly deserves?

Eh, Norwegians sometimes suggest we should buy back Jamtland and Herjedalen. And Bohuslen, I suppose.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Meanwhile, Project Armstrong hint 5:

quote:

There is politics and espionage.
HoI4 seems like the smart bet. I can't wait to see the conspiracy theories about this being the reason Paradox is trying to kill EvW.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Personally, I'd enjoy the hell out of a game focused entirely on the colonization of the New World. Something that would almost be more akin to Civ in that, instead of picking up and running with an existing state, you're building your nation from total scratch. Yeah, it's part of EU, but then it sort of spills over into Vicky, and Conquest of Paradise is the first time there's been much depth to colonizing at all...

As a Paradox game, though, it would be really hard to not infringe on the other games' space. My fantasy timeline for the game would be something like 1600-1900, since the first real colonies only started getting established in the 1600's, and by the turn of the twentieth century, the current status quo had more-or-less been achieved. But then you're basically just making Vicky with an earlier start date and less countries to play as.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xerophyte posted:

Svea Rike itself was based on a popular boardgame where the players play the heads of various Swedish noble houses and try to plot and maneuver for power and prestige, which might also sound familiar. Assuming the players were reasonably competitive people said board game also tended to involve the players irrevocably loving over the nation with their infighting and backstabbing, the usual ending was the nation falling to pieces and the player's houses being wiped out in a bloody revolution. :v:

This reminds me that Europa Universalis itself was based off of a boardgame. I wonder what elements from that are still in EU4 up to now?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Stability is a good bet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gradenko_2000 posted:

This reminds me that Europa Universalis itself was based off of a boardgame. I wonder what elements from that are still in EU4 up to now?

Googling "Europa Universalis board game rules" finds a .doc of the manual as the fifth result. (Not linking directly, in case it counts as :filez:.)

Skimming, we have stability, yep. Also leaders: generals, admirals, conquistadors & explorers, which have manuever, fire, shock/boarding, "and sometimes siege" values. Combat based on a system of both sides rolling modified d10s, with fire and shock phases. Sieges are also pretty similar. Provinces, with terrain & fort levels (1-5). "Warships, galleys/galleasses, and transport ships". War taxes. Monarchs automatically taking command when there are multiple leaders in a battle. The three monarch stats (admin, diplo, & military). Probably more that I missed.

Too many differences to count, of course, but it's funny to see what stuck.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Boardgamegeek has a bunch of pictures and someone posted a full game play session writeup on their forums:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/704717/europa-pulsat-period-i

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Theories on either the Game of Thrones mod becoming official or Paradox branching into the Middle Earth universe may be picking up steam?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

meatbag posted:

Eh, Norwegians sometimes suggest we should buy back Jamtland and Herjedalen. And Bohuslen, I suppose.

WE WILL PAY A FAIR PRICE FOR OUR NJRWEGIAN CLAY :black101:

You used to be cool, vikings

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
They're repackaging Sengoku as CK2 DLC.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

Theories on either the Game of Thrones mod becoming official or Paradox branching into the Middle Earth universe may be picking up steam?

Non-merchant republic dlc? Mercenary band dlc? knightly order dlc?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Game of Thrones expansion for CK2 and expansion for EU4?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
'A new setting' - Oculus rift support confirmed.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
They have rights for Conan, so how about Barbarian Kings leading into Cimmeria Universalis?

KROM VULT! :black101:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fermun posted:

Boardgamegeek has a bunch of pictures and someone posted a full game play session writeup on their forums:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/704717/europa-pulsat-period-i

Ahaha, that's amazing. SALES OF HONORARY TITLES goes all the way back to the boardgame.

Gold has always been the sign of nobility, apparently!

(A lot of other events also look familiar. WAVE OF OBSCURANTISM, REORGANIZATION OF THE ARMY OR THE FLEET...)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Cowcatcher posted:

They have rights for Conan, so how about Barbarian Kings leading into Cimmeria Universalis?

I'd normally say that sounds pretty damned likely given what we know. But 'new setting' can only mean one thing: "Crusader Kings 2: Jewels of the Crown" lets you collect precious gems and design new inheritable and stat-boosting crowns, scepters, signets, &c for your dynasty. Steal the jewelry of your vanquished foes! New "Retake the Crown" casus belli: literally retake your crown!

(And I'd still buy it)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Cowcatcher posted:

Paradox Entertainment has the rights to Conan if I recall correctly, not Paradox Interactive.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

Game of Thrones expansion for CK2 and expansion for EU4?

That was my first thought, but they've specifically said they tried for that a while back and it fell through or didn't get off the ground. I think it's also been said that Johan doesn't want to work with licenced properties particularly.

I dunno, change of "setting" sounds big, bit on the other hand it's a DLC, so it can't really be HUGE.

:iiam:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Romance of the Three (Crusader) Kingdoms?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gorgo Primus posted:

Can anyone tell me what's the gently caress is the point of the Tom Bombadil division? It has awesome stats and abilities, but it's AI only, just dances around doing nothing, and it really takes me out of the game when it moves into my capital and starts spaming annoying event pop-ups about random poo poo I couldn't care less about.

He is a side character from the LOTR books that drags on and on with useless songs and poo poo rather than advancing the plot.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Map expansion, maybe? It can't be overwhelmingly big, it's an expansion (though that could mean stand-alone).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Expanding the map to India would be pretty rad, but that's probably not happening.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kainser posted:

Expanding the map to India would be pretty rad, but that's probably not happening.

India would be awesome, but I'd rather it be like Sengoku and be a standalone map. The ck2 map is big enough as is.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

SeaTard posted:

India would be awesome, but I'd rather it be like Sengoku and be a standalone map. The ck2 map is big enough as is.

Expand it to New Spain :getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sindai posted:

HoI4 seems like the smart bet. I can't wait to see the conspiracy theories about this being the reason Paradox is trying to kill EvW.
Darkest Hour was the licensed bridge between HoI2 and HoI3. MM was originally timed to bridge between EU3 and EU4. Maybe EvW was supposed to bridge the time between HoI3 and HoI4?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Darkest Hour was the licensed bridge between HoI2 and HoI3. MM was originally timed to bridge between EU3 and EU4. Maybe EvW was supposed to bridge the time between HoI3 and HoI4?
Adding to that, didn't FTG bridge EU2-EU3?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

Romance of the Three (Crusader) Kingdoms?

Paradox, don't go chasing foreign wars, please stick to the nations and the kings that you're used to.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Personally, I really hope it isn't a fantasy setting. The historical settings are a big part of the appeal of Paradox games for me, and a fictional setting I have no grounding in just doesn't appeal to me, so far as Paradox-style gameplay goes.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

James The 1st posted:

Adding to that, didn't FTG bridge EU2-EU3?

For the Glory didn't come out until several years after the release of EU3, when Paradox started the whole engine licensing program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Paradox knows what's most important.

• Locked thread