Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm hoping he does the "Throw my shield/rifle/sword to one side, then pull something sneaky while the enemy inevitably follows its motion and takes their eye off me" trick several characters (EG: Amuro or Norris Packard) use a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Kanos posted:

"Naw, it's cool, Sei has watched a *lot* of anime."

Well the point was more that Sei knows all of the little tricks you can do. I half expect to see him get Reiji to pull Shinn's "bounce a beam shot off a shield" trick someday.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the point was more that Sei knows all of the little tricks you can do. I half expect to see him get Reiji to pull Shinn's "bounce a beam shot off a shield" trick someday.

I can't wait until Sei pulls a Kamille-special and just runs over and punches the other pilot in the face.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I can't wait until Sei pulls a Kamille-special and just runs over and punches the other pilot in the face.

Sei's a man's name and I'm a man! :sotw:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought it was odd that they pulled out the "Don't worry, Sei is a Gundam Encyclopedia" against Fellini, who along with Mao is almost assuredly the most knowledgeable about Gundam out of all of Sei's opponents. Fellini's enough of a goon that he's been doing Gunpla stuff since he was a kid, he loves building Gunpla just for fun, he loving hits on women using Gunpla, and when he gets drunk he chats up women by asking them about Gundam shows. It's almost impossible for him to NOT know all about Gundam. "I've seen a LOT of anime, so I'm gonna pull out a Gundam trick you won't expect" would make more sense against an opponent like Aila(hates Gunpla) or Nils(only in it for the Plavskies, doesn't really get Gunpla).

Episode still owned super hard though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I thought it was odd that they pulled out the "Don't worry, Sei is a Gundam Encyclopedia" against Fellini, who along with Mao is almost assuredly the most knowledgeable about Gundam out of all of Sei's opponents. Fellini's enough of a goon that he's been doing Gunpla stuff since he was a kid, he loves building Gunpla just for fun, he loving hits on women using Gunpla, and when he gets drunk he chats up women by asking them about Gundam shows. It's almost impossible for him to NOT know all about Gundam. "I've seen a LOT of anime, so I'm gonna pull out a Gundam trick you won't expect" would make more sense against an opponent like Aila(hates Gunpla) or Nils(only in it for the Plavskies, doesn't really get Gunpla).

Episode still owned super hard though.

Fellini seems to be more in it for the modelling and the battles than the fiction it's based off, though. He loves the hobby, he just loves a different bit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd imagine it's not that Fellini isn't also aware of it, just that Sei was pushed to the point he had to use it before Fellini and by the time the smoke cleared they were both on pretty equal footing regardless. Guerilla tacits just isn't something he was expecting, because it's not something that happens often in a fight by the looks of things.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

tsob posted:

I'd imagine it's not that Fellini isn't also aware of it, just that Sei was pushed to the point he had to use it before Fellini and by the time the smoke cleared they were both on pretty equal footing regardless. Guerilla tacits just isn't something he was expecting, because it's not something that happens often in a fight by the looks of things.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Fellini was battling Reiji who hes fought with before one on one, so I'm sure he was familiar with his head-on style and expecting it. But he was really fighting against Reiji AND Sei and didn't realize what he (Sei) brought to the table until it was too late.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
It seemed to me like Fellini's montage of his lifetime with Gunpla was inferring that his Wing Gundam gained its battle damage through gunpla battles, and that since detail seems to equal strength with it comes to the whole plavsky thing, it was literally making his gunpla stronger over time along with his experience. I thought it was just a cool little thing they added, and helped to strengthen the argument that Sei and Fellini were real gunpla battlers, compared to someone like Nils.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, it's basically Friendship and Love codified.

Aila and Nils are probably better straight-up fighters than anyone on the cast but they don't Love Gunpla so they're inevitably destined to lose unless they get a love of Gunpla.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it's basically Friendship and Love codified.

Aila and Nils are probably better straight-up fighters than anyone on the cast but they don't Love Gunpla so they're inevitably destined to lose unless they get a love of Gunpla.

Nils's sideplot of "learning to like Gunpla battles" is basically hilarious. I feel like there should be a little pop-up counter in the corner for every time he's flabbergasted about why people are doing something totally illogical and nonsensical vis a vis actually winning the tournament and someone replies "Isn't it obvious? Because they're FIGHTERS!"

Aila's obviously going to learn to Love Gunpla via her thing with Reiji, but I'm mostly curious about what's the deal with her hilarious Gunpla Fighting Outfit.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kanos posted:

Aila's obviously going to learn to Love Gunpla via her thing with Reiji, but I'm mostly curious about what's the deal with her hilarious Gunpla Fighting Outfit.

Well she's from the "Flana Institute" so they probably found a way to get her to literally newtype control her funnels through direct manipulation of Plavsky Particles via technobabble nonsense.

That, or Team Nemesis just thinks it's intimidating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Nils's sideplot of "learning to like Gunpla battles" is basically hilarious. I feel like there should be a little pop-up counter in the corner for every time he's flabbergasted about why people are doing something totally illogical and nonsensical vis a vis actually winning the tournament and someone replies "Isn't it obvious? Because they're FIGHTERS!"

Well, in the case of Felini, it honestly is kind of a bad idea. The dude is getting his only Gunpla utterly wrecked in a fight that has absolutely no profit for him. Last time that happened to Sei and Reiji they had to use the Build Mk II for several battles. (And they got lucky it wasn't battles that needed high-grade Plavsky bullshit to win.)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aila looked like she was having fun when she totally hosed up the dark gundam but then again she wasn't using that silly suit. Its hilarious how convenient it is because not only does it hide her from Reiji it also gives a reason for Aila to hate fighting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Part of me wants to guess its simple showboating. However Aila's fights are boring to watch so I doubt they're intentionally trying to play the crowd with a mysterious fighter.

Maybe the reason Gunpla Battles are nothing but painful for her is because the helmet is improperly sized and too tight. Hence the headaches. Afterall she isn' an actual cybernewtype. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 21, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, in the case of Felini, it honestly is kind of a bad idea. The dude is getting his only Gunpla utterly wrecked in a fight that has absolutely no profit for him. Last time that happened to Sei and Reiji they had to use the Build Mk II for several battles. (And they got lucky it wasn't battles that needed high-grade Plavsky bullshit to win.)

Yeah, that's my point. Nils approaches the tournament from a perspective of winning, which means doing things that maximize the chances of victory without cheating. Avoiding conflict during the Battle Royale, wondering why people aren't running the gently caress away from the Mega Zaku, wondering why Fellini would rip his Gunpla apart for a fight he didn't even need to take, etc. But every time he wonders why other people would do stupid poo poo like rushing the Mega Size someone corrects him with "BECAUSE THEY'RE FIGHTERS!"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Part of me wants to guess its simple showboating. However Aila's fights are boring to watch so I doubt they're intentionally trying to play the crowd with a mysterious fighter.

The suit does some glowy stuff every so often and it seems to beat the poo poo out of Aila while she has it on so it's probably like 3 said and it's basically a goofy Plavsky Cyber Newtype rig.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Fellini seems to be more in it for the modelling and the battles than the fiction it's based off, though. He loves the hobby, he just loves a different bit.

On the other hand, when he was drunk he talked about the key animation of the recent 08th MS Team special. I think he's a pretty hardcore fan of everything Gundam!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The funny thing is that Nils is super-weeaboo, too, but he doesn't give a crap about Gundam. I guess he takes Inu Yasha or something way too seriously.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

The funny thing is that Nils is super-weeaboo, too, but he doesn't give a crap about Gundam. I guess he takes Inu Yasha or something way too seriously.

He walks into a hobby shop and asks which Gundam can use the Wind Scar and the slightly confused clerk points him towards the Astray Red Frame.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can see why Fellini wouldn't throw the fight because his whole motivation is proving he has the strongest gunpla around. So having him just voluntary give up a fight would go against his nature- he wants to win all of his fights.

Besides both him and Reiji wanted to seriously fight one another in the world tournament, so it makes sense why he wouldn't take it easy on them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also because it's a tournament, and the spectators would probably get really pissed at Sei and Reiji if they made it to the finals on the basis of an unentertaining thrown match, which everyone is probably aware of.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

Also because it's a tournament, and the spectators would probably get really pissed at Sei and Reiji if they made it to the finals on the basis of an unentertaining thrown match, which everyone is probably aware of.

But no hate for Aila's no effort matches? Fickle crowd.

The other thing is if Fellini threw the match figuring he'd just fight Reiji later when it mattered, and Reiji (plot armor aside) lost to someone else and was eliminated they wouldn't have gone head to head at all in the tournament leaving unfinished business between them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

The other thing is if Fellini threw the match figuring he'd just fight Reiji later when it mattered, and Reiji (plot armor aside) lost to someone else and was eliminated they wouldn't have gone head to head at all in the tournament leaving unfinished business between them.

Nah, Aila's matches are like halftime, it's when everyone goes to the bathroom, gets some overpriced food and beer. I'm actually hoping for any of the primary characters to fight Aila soon so we can actually have a fight that's longer than "The gently caress?!" (explosion) and a shot of Qubeley Papillion with its hand on its hip.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well Gyunei seemed to figure out the invisible funnels (clear plastic? :haw:) trick, he just lacked the skill/discipline to do anything about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that Gyunei figured it out probably means that isn't what it actually is, especially since we see them visible in the OP. It's probably some form of Plavsky manipulation.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SpikeMcclane posted:

It's pretty obviously Naruto considering the most recent episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

See, the difference between Aila and Fellini is that Fellini gives a poo poo.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that Gyunei figured it out probably means that isn't what it actually is, especially since we see them visible in the OP. It's probably some form of Plavsky manipulation.

Maybe they're funnels made of Plavsky particles?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well Gyunei seemed to figure out the invisible funnels (clear plastic? :haw:) trick, he just lacked the skill/discipline to do anything about it.

Im beginning to think that Aila has 2 gimmicks going on. In her last fight her opponent's funnels appear to be hit by a single beam starting somewhere on the lower right offscreen that seemingly sweeps across and hits them all. The clear funnels that she has then pass through the dust/debris of his funnels toward him appearing to be directly forward from the papillion to his gunpla. Sure the easiest explanation is that a single funnel shot a beam that swept and hit them all, but isnt it possible shes got something else going on and they are psyching us all out?

Is it possible she has a hidden/clear support booster or something?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just wonder what the result would be if you stuck something like this on a GP base:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just wonder what the result would be if you stuck something like this on a GP base:

Spooky Skeleton gundam.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gunpla Builders had a clear Gelgoog show up. It's see-through, but you can still see the outline.

Also I had to rewatch Builders to find that and man that OVA is just awful compared to Build Fighters. Unoriginal customs (mostly horrid paint jobs), mediocre fights (only decent bit was Zakudrobium vs Dendrobium), and a complete wet fart of a "final battle".

I really, really, really hope episode 16 doesn't do a repeat of Beginning 30. That would be awful beyond words.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
After 35 years, you expect some questionable mobile suit designs to slip through occasionally...and then you see the Beginning 30 Gundam and wonder what the gently caress were they thinking?! :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I still think the dumbest thing was the sprew they sent to the kid made entirely of clear plastic, because "He'll have to paint them white and this will teach him the glory of gunpla."

When I was that kids age I would have been "Wait, this thing gets glowing energy fins? Sweet!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The dumbest part was how the Beginning 30 is the best not because of any particular creativity on the builder's part, but because the protagonist's dad sent him a runner of superpowered parts that let the thing effortlessly wipe away an entire battlefield of more experienced builders.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

While build fighters is much better, I still enjoyed the builders ova. Everything involving the char knockoff was great. I also enjoyed the zaku fight and some other stuff was funny, like the super small big zam. It that the kid starts not knowing how to make a good looking gunpla. It's a nice little reflection of every modeller's start.

But yeah the special parts the beginning 30 got was pretty dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Magazine Scans have revealed the Exia Dark Matter and The Miss Sazabi.

Exia
Miss Sazabi

The Sazabi is so good :allears: It's reminds me a lot of the Tallgeese. Maybe that's just the color scheme, but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the Miss Sazabi basically has to be Baker's machine, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Seems like a good bet.

That Exia looks like someone barfed a poor recreation of Epyon's color scheme all over it. Really bad. Hopefully it'll look better in animation and it just looks bad there because that is a raw plastic unpainted/unfinished bare minimum model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Magazine Scans have revealed the Exia Dark Matter and The Miss Sazabi.

Exia
Miss Sazabi

The Sazabi is so good :allears: It's reminds me a lot of the Tallgeese. Maybe that's just the color scheme, but still.
Exia Dark Matter.....is not what I expected. :stare:

But yeah, I do see the Tallgeese similarities with Miss Sazabi. Although, what is it holding in its right hand? An axe...gun?

• Locked thread