Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

You'd be amazed.

I assume they have very good license deals for Citrix hosts, because that's where I usually run into it.

This is my wife's work setup. Lotus notes + Citrix receiver on every employee's PC. It's a bank, so I suppose there's some security benefits/requirements for the VDI approach in their case.

I still like Lotus's IM client a million times better than Lync, the interface is still better and let you send gifs to other people (or in my case, use the SA smiley set between conversations with other workgoons) :colbert:

Top of page:

I'm now an admin of our service-now ticketing system in addition to admin (owner) for Orion and admin for SCOM. Does anyone have good resources for "why isn't my poo poo showing up in SCOM"? Examples: azure fabric VMs, some info from SCCM, etc. Also asked to take a bunch of free lunches to schmooze with management. It's a tough life, waiting for poo poo to break and knowing that the datacenter is responsible for notifications for outages (and not me). Oh, and a new touchscreen windows 8.1 laptop.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Smoke posted:

What annoys me more is that some applications don't even care about the OS language, the set locale takes priority. In some cases this is even unchangeable, so you end up with apps running in Dutch on an English OS.
I learned, many years too late, that you can just set your locale to US and manually edit currency, time and calendar formatting and not have that problem (apart from the Flash updater for some reason).

Dunno about Windows 8 though, what with localized app stores and poo poo.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
The App Store is in English, but the highlighted apps in the store and on the Live tile are in French. I know that if I set OS language to Dutch it'll all be in Dutch though. Apparently having an English OS with Dutch locale in Belgium means you want everything in French.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Smoke posted:

The App Store is in English, but the highlighted apps in the store and on the Live tile are in French. I know that if I set OS language to Dutch it'll all be in Dutch though. Apparently having an English OS with Dutch locale in Belgium means you want everything in French.
Yeah, okay, then setting your locale to US should also be a superior way out of that clusterfuck. I can't believe how many years I thought this was some important unchangeable OS setting that I should be truthful about, because I got asked about it during the OS install. But really, apart from date, time and currency formatting (which as said you can customize to match the Dutch formatting -if you can handle English names of days and months) it does nothing for me but create these kind of quagmires.

The only thing you'll be cheating yourself out of is a local TV program guide app or something similar. Which you probably wouldn't be using if it was in French anyway.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Setting your locale to English also solves Microsoft's websites all being automatically translated to Dutch. Joy!

There's also a Dutch thread in SAL, btw. Join us! I posted a job in there, you too could achieve the Year of the Job 2014.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
A ticket came in at 2am last night...

One of our field techs was overwriting the configurations of new Cisco 3750 switches that were being installed at a regional office because he was connecting them using the stackwise cables to an existing 3750. The existing switch was overwriting all the other switch configs with its own since it was seeing itself as the Master switch in the stack.

I got paged out by the tech's supervisor and got to listen to him bitch me out for giving them multiple switches with the same configuration, and how I was wasting his team's time by not verifying my work before handing it off to them for installation. Once I determined the cause of the problem and explained to both of them what his tech was doing, the supervisor shut up real quick and apologized for waking me up. Felt pretty good! :smug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have no words.

me: :what:
coworker: :v:

:v: customer needs camera to see 500 ft
:what: See WHAT at 500 ft?
:v: they are just looking at a huge sitelite on a roof top will need on booard recording sd card for storage
:v: they will not be doing much recording mostly still shots
:what: Why are they looking at a sattelite dish?
:what: are they worried it's going to fall down?
:v: no not a sitelite dish a sitelite like the ones nasa use
:what: What is a satelite doing on a rooftop instead of, you know, IN ORBIT
:v: lol i do know i have a pic would you like to see it?
:what: Oh God, yes

:suicide:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

KillHour posted:

I have no words.

me: :what:
coworker: :v:

:v: customer needs camera to see 500 ft
:what: See WHAT at 500 ft?
:v: they are just looking at a huge sitelite on a roof top will need on booard recording sd card for storage
:v: they will not be doing much recording mostly still shots
:what: Why are they looking at a sattelite dish?
:what: are they worried it's going to fall down?
:v: no not a sitelite dish a sitelite like the ones nasa use
:what: What is a satelite doing on a rooftop instead of, you know, IN ORBIT
:v: lol i do know i have a pic would you like to see it?
:what: Oh God, yes

:suicide:

Nevermind, it wasn't there when I posted that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I... I still don't understand that at all. What the hell is going on there?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I... I still don't understand that at all. What the hell is going on there?

The customer assured my coworker that radar station was a satellite. And my coworker took his word for it. So I got to spend about 5 minutes wondering why the hell they wanted a security camera to look at a satellite, and what the gently caress it was doing "on a roof." Also, that was an IM conversation, so his spelling really is that bad.

Terminally retarded, both of them.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 22, 2014

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

Aww poo poo, now I have to find my C&C CDs.

Why bother with the effort?

[nope]

:getin:

(if this counts as :filez: let me know and I'll remove link)

e: I was told to remove the link so I have removed the link. Would appreciate if others removed from their quotes

Migishu fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 22, 2014

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Jeoh posted:

Setting your locale to English also solves Microsoft's websites all being automatically translated to Dutch. Joy!

There's also a Dutch thread in SAL, btw. Join us! I posted a job in there, you too could achieve the Year of the Job 2014.

Somehow I managed to get away with setting the location in Win8.1 to United States and keeping everything else set to Dutch(Belgium) I remember doing something similar for the XBox360 to set everything to English.

What's wrong with just getting a language setting rather than making presumptions on what language people want to use? Hell, I'm surprised I haven't encountered any German yet seeing as it's the third official language of this country.

Also, I'm looking to YOTJ the hell out of helpdesk(At least I'm not taking calls) but I'd need something in Belgium.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Migishu posted:

Why bother with the effort?

:getin:

(if this counts as :filez: let me know and I'll remove link)

I have C&C installed on DOSBox on my phone. :iia:

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 22, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
welp

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 22, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KillHour posted:

The customer assured my coworker that radar station was a satellite. And my coworker took his word for it. So I got to spend about 5 minutes wondering why the hell they wanted a security camera to look at a satellite, and what the gently caress it was doing "on a roof." Also, that was an IM conversation, so his spelling really is that bad.

Terminally retarded, both of them.

To be honest, if I saw a radome like that I'd probably give it a 50/50 chance that there was a radar or satellite antenna in there. You should have told your co-worker that the cool-kids term is 'buckyball'.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Work log window
Write logs in haiku
Very bored

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Work log window
Write logs in haiku
Very bored

Opening worklog
Writing updates in haiku
I am very bored

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
loving salespeople
annoying entitled shits
I wish I was one ;_;

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in.

:supaburn: the system kernel panicked on a vital production system! Please RCA immediately!
:) righto. Is it at the latest patch level? I can take a look at the logs to see if there's anything in there that could cause it, but we don't analyze core dumps from outdated kernels since they usually turn up something that's already patched in a later version.
:supaburn: no, but we're in a patch freeze so we can't patch it.
:) Okay, but if I can't find anything in the logs the fix will probably require patching anyway.

Customer proceeds to send me some entirely unrelated, unimportant, and incredibly old logs. At 4am (because of timezone differences) they upload the core dump, and call in two hours later to ask why it hasn't been analyzed yet. The system hasn't crashed again since and wasn't actually doing anything at the time (inactive member of an HA pair) but this is still top priority.

I come in to an "OMG URGENT PLZ RCA RIGHT NOW" from their sales rep. Customer is apparently miffed that we're resistant to analyzing it since they've patched recently. The logs that they did send indicate that "recently" is March 2012.

Call them to get the correct logs, which apparently show nothing, so we wouldn't be able to tell them anything without looking at the core. Only other option is to run hardware diags, but they refuse to do make the system (again, an inactive standby unit) unavailable for any amount of time for the next three months or so.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
An anniversary came in:

quote:

ITSM Consultant marks seventh Anniversary with <$COMPANY>

Today, January 22, 2014 marks the seven year anniversary with <$COMPANY> for JohnnyCanuck, IT Service Management Consultant.

“I have had the pleasure of working with Johnny for the past seven years and he has proven to be intelligent, capable, dedicated and a personable individual who’s presence doesn’t go unnoticed. Johnny’s personality and humour can lighten any day! Not only do Johnny’s colleagues enjoy working with him, but he has also built strong relationships with clients, therefore bringing even greater value to <$COMPANY>.” Says <$NAME>, CIO at <$COMPANY>.

We would like to thank Johnny for his ongoing dedication to <$COMPANY>, and for the insightful knowledge he delivers each and every day.

Enjoy this accomplishment, Johnny!

Aww. :blush:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fivre posted:

A ticket came in.

Call them to get the correct logs, which apparently show nothing, so we wouldn't be able to tell them anything without looking at the core. Only other option is to run hardware diags, but they refuse to do make the system (again, an inactive standby unit) unavailable for any amount of time for the next three months or so.

So you want to work for an OS company...

It's super fun to routinely get tickets where the customer has "already tried that" and refuses to do it again to give you logs, tcpdump, or whatever, or their system is "too critical" to actually do anything with even though you can tell from the diag information that it's idle all day every day.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Migishu posted:

Opening worklog
Writing updates in haiku
I am very bored

There once was a sysadmin named Ned
Who had all the passwords in his head
Was hit by a truck
and we're out of luck
Company went under now that he's dead.

EDIT for as not to doublepost:

... from a former freelance gig, which dropped me in favor of the owner's friend's nephew or something who "knows computers" and told them I was ripping them off at $85/hr.
Now nephew has gone off to college.
Then their net goes out, so they call me. I thought hey, I can get a client back. I walk in and...
They're now on Comcast Business instead of Fastmetrics. The "router" is a D-Link.
All the computers are running a warezed version of Windows 7 Ultimate, with likewise warezed Office 2010.
The fileserver - which was running Windows Server and 4 2gb drives in RAID5 - has been wiped and is now running the same Win7 and 2 of those drives as C: and D:. No one knows where the other two drives went.
The DC - which was running Windows Server - is now running Linux with no apparent purpose. It's not fileserving, it's not Kerberosing, it's just sitting there.

To quote the Simpsons:
"Oh...oh, gosh...you know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye."

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 22, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To be honest, if I saw a radome like that I'd probably give it a 50/50 chance that there was a radar or satellite antenna in there. You should have told your co-worker that the cool-kids term is 'buckyball'.

That's some variety of geodesic dome, but it'd not a buckyball. Buckyball faces are all pentagons and hexagons, not triangles.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

12 minute outage when the App server and Database server had a "communication malfunction".
113 tickets.
Wednesdays suck as.
So does this not-haiku.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

sfwarlock posted:

There once was a sysadmin named Ned
Who had all the passwords in his head
Was hit by a truck
and we're out of luck
Company went under now that he's dead.

EDIT for as not to doublepost:

... from a former freelance gig, which dropped me in favor of the owner's friend's nephew or something who "knows computers" and told them I was ripping them off at $85/hr.
Now nephew has gone off to college.
Then their net goes out, so they call me. I thought hey, I can get a client back. I walk in and...
They're now on Comcast Business instead of Fastmetrics. The "router" is a D-Link.
All the computers are running a warezed version of Windows 7 Ultimate, with likewise warezed Office 2010.
The fileserver - which was running Windows Server and 4 2gb drives in RAID5 - has been wiped and is now running the same Win7 and 2 of those drives as C: and D:. No one knows where the other two drives went.
The DC - which was running Windows Server - is now running Linux with no apparent purpose. It's not fileserving, it's not Kerberosing, it's just sitting there.

To quote the Simpsons:
"Oh...oh, gosh...you know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye."

Give them a quote on everything they would need to do to get in compliance then tack on 20% for your time as an additional screw you.

Even at my worst when I was young with :files: I would have known that anything public like a business meant pay for the real things because anything you save gets multiplied once someone comes and does an audit on you in fines and lawsuit fees.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Recruiter asked for references, I provided two email addresses. She called back today asking for phone numbers and my resume in .docx. Grudgingly gave the resume in docx after getting written confirmation that they would not be editing it in any way, but did not give phone numbers because I wanted to "respect the wishes of my contacts".

What are the odds the recruiter will absolutely not respect either the "we wont edit your resume" or "these email addresses are provided for the sole purpose of contact regarding this job opportunity, do not distribute to any other parties without consent"?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Recruiter asked for references, I provided two email addresses. She called back today asking for phone numbers and my resume in .docx. Grudgingly gave the resume in docx after getting written confirmation that they would not be editing it in any way, but did not give phone numbers because I wanted to "respect the wishes of my contacts".

What are the odds the recruiter will absolutely not respect either the "we wont edit your resume" or "these email addresses are provided for the sole purpose of contact regarding this job opportunity, do not distribute to any other parties without consent"?

This exact thing happened to my wife, they claimed they didn't want the customer to be able to contact her directly. I called bullshit and said take a written copy of your resume to the interview to compare notes.

Give it 50/50 they will tweak it

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paladine_PSoT posted:

No, no, no. Recruiters don't get your resume in any format other than PDF, and they most certainly don't get your references up front in any form. No one gets my references until after in-person interviews, and only then if they say they want to proceed but they want to check with my references first.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
team queue is empty
charging time to baseline? stress.
everyone is bored

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Maybe this is me being dumb, but who can't edit a PDF?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HR

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

baquerd posted:

No, no, no. Recruiters don't get your resume in any format other than PDF, and they most certainly don't get your references up front in any form. No one gets my references until after in-person interviews, and only then if they say they want to proceed but they want to check with my references first.

I've never given my resume in a format other than .doc (not even .docx) because if the editing to my resume gets me an interview, it's a win, right? During the interview process I will make clear what I'm looking for and what my requirements are, so if the recruiter deletes my entire resume and pastes in a BMP of goatse and because of this I get an interview, I could care less what my resume looks like.

No way in hell do they get my references, though. Not until we are nearing the end of the vetting process.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

0%

Meanwhile, regarding my above post: It Gets Better.

Basically they fired someone with cause and this person turned around and ratted them out to the BSA.

They're facing an audit, and they thought if they "got me back in" as the IT guy then I "would have to take responsibility" for the noncompliance. And fix it. With zero budget.

The missing drives from the fileserver got moved to the DC, where they are suspiciously empty. Not formatted. Zeroed.

Which DC, by the way, nephew was apparently using as his own ... personal.. workstation. And told them that Linux doesn't need updates and can live in the DMZ.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This is glorious. Please tell me you have an inside person that can continue to give you updates.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Maybe this is me being dumb, but who can't edit a PDF?

People without an Acrobat license.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

sfwarlock posted:

0%

Meanwhile, regarding my above post: It Gets Better.

Basically they fired someone with cause and this person turned around and ratted them out to the BSA.

They're facing an audit, and they thought if they "got me back in" as the IT guy then I "would have to take responsibility" for the noncompliance. And fix it. With zero budget.

The missing drives from the fileserver got moved to the DC, where they are suspiciously empty. Not formatted. Zeroed.

Which DC, by the way, nephew was apparently using as his own ... personal.. workstation. And told them that Linux doesn't need updates and can live in the DMZ.

Please tell me you you left rolling middle fingers out the door, cause although don't burn any bridges is a motto to live by, this seems to call for salting the earth.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What do they want to edit your CV for anyway?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Agrikk posted:

I've never given my resume in a format other than .doc (not even .docx) because if the editing to my resume gets me an interview, it's a win, right? During the interview process I will make clear what I'm looking for and what my requirements are, so if the recruiter deletes my entire resume and pastes in a BMP of goatse and because of this I get an interview, I could care less what my resume looks like.

I've wasted a day before going to an interview that I was 100% unqualified for because the recruiter just added whatever they felt like to it to get me to match a keyword salad. It took the interviewer and I a good 5 minutes to figure out that we both thought the other was an idiot.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Entropic posted:

What do they want to edit your CV for anyway?

Suddenly you're a CCIE R&S, MCSEA++ with a 100 years experience of enterprise data something... because the recruiter may be getting paid by the interview/candidate not the hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

And amazingly, right around the time the drives were zeroed, network performance through the DMZ miraculously improved, right?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've wasted a day before going to an interview that I was 100% unqualified for because the recruiter just added whatever they felt like to it to get me to match a keyword salad. It took the interviewer and I a good 5 minutes to figure out that we both thought the other was an idiot.

Holy crap, this happens? Da-yamn...

• Locked thread